Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Ok….another blow out and that should do it for CD. Hoping for a 6-1 loss. And then a firing. And then a win streak.

Reactions: All the Answers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Ok….another blow out and that should do it for CD. Hoping for a 6-1 loss. And then a firing. And then a win streak.
If Rangers lose today no way Mackenzie steps behind the bench. Not with London x2, Ottawa and Barrie on deck the next 4 games.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
It keeps on getting mentioned on here that Moore said that they need to build their chemistry in the room still. I’m sorry but I just don’t buy that. He was just saying something positive from a PR standpoint after a bad loss. He is in his fifth OHL season and was a captain. He knows what to say and wasn’t going to throw his team under the bus.

The Rangers picked up Moore December 13th and Arcuri on December 15th. Meaning that their defence has been set for just about a month now. With all of their practice time and their games they should have good chemistry by now. With forwards and picking up Zhilkin it may have messed the lines up recently. The thing is it should be an easy tradition; Zhilkin goes to #2 center and Rehkopf slides down to #3.

Reactions: rangersblues

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
It keeps on getting mentioned on here that Moore said that they need to build their chemistry in the room still. I’m sorry but I just don’t buy that. He was just saying something positive from a PR standpoint after a bad loss. He is in his fifth OHL season and was a captain. He knows what to say and wasn’t going to throw his team under the bus.

The Rangers picked up Moore December 13th and Arcuri on December 15th. Meaning that their defence has been set for just about a month now. With all of their practice time and their games they should have good chemistry by now. With forwards and picking up Zhilkin it may have messed the lines up recently. The thing is it should be an easy tradition; Zhilkin goes to #2 center and Rehkopf slides down to #3.
You got your wish, tonight's lineup

Kitchener at Saginaw:
Arcuri-Pinelli-Mesar
Martin-Zhilkin-Valade
Sop-Rehkopf-Misaljevic
Pugliese-Mercer-Bottineau

Moore-Schmidt
Hamara-Brzustewicz
Andonovski-Hollett

Vandenberg

Reactions: Habsrule

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
You got your wish, tonight's lineup

Kitchener at Saginaw:
Arcuri-Pinelli-Mesar
Martin-Zhilkin-Valade
Sop-Rehkopf-Misaljevic
Pugliese-Mercer-Bottineau

Moore-Schmidt
Hamara-Brzustewicz
Andonovski-Hollett

Vandenberg
No Swick.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Zidlicky had to of ask for a trade. No reason to trade him for nothing if he didn’t. I was preaching we needed to add a 3rd liner to bump Swick to 4th and then he is there is case of injury. We have 2 forwards go down and the 3rd line is bad.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
This team is missing a superstar.

A bunch of 4/5 and maybe 4.5/5 players. But there's no 5/5 star player here.

Reactions: Millpond

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
This team is missing a superstar.

A bunch of 4/5 and maybe 4.5/5 players. But there's no 5/5 star player here.

With the right coaching Pinelli and Mesar can be stars. Pinelli was player of the month in December. He plays like that ALL the time he is a star…OHL I’m talking before anyone jumps over me. And no reason Mesar shouldn’t be dominant at this level.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
With the right coaching Pinelli and Mesar can be stars. Pinelli was player of the month in December. He plays like that ALL the time he is a star…OHL I’m talking before anyone jumps over me. And no reason Mesar shouldn’t be dominant at this level.

Actually wasn't that long ago that Pinelli had the second best points per game in the league - just prior to his injury. I won't say that does or does not make him a star, but I will personally take him on this team.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Pinelli handed out a great beat down tonight. Came to the aid of a teammate.

That’s a start in that department.

Yes, I loved that. He's taken on a team player role. He's earning the C.

Also Vandenburg had an excellent game. He's the guy I'd look at as the future in net of this team. Parsons missing a full year obviously isn;t his fault but man Vandenburg has been a stud. Saginaw pushed at the end. Honestly, if that 3rd Rangers goal doesn't fluke bounce off the goalie and in (Smart play by Zhilkin) this game could have gone either way.

Kitchener got the 2 points but Saginaw came prepared after playing last night against Windsor in a tight game.

With the Soo wining today, no ground was made. Still 3 points out of 8th and 5 points out of 7th. Again games in hand should be mentioned but they haven't proven enough except for a small window in December that they can win enough to use that as a fall back. Can't rely on games in hand. Every loss against the Oshawas, Eries, Guelphs (Who have my respect), Soo, and teams like that is no recovered ground.

Love seeing a win anytime you can get one. You feel for the guys especially after this crap show from the coaching staff but you're happy any time these kids can feel good about themselves.

London Tuesday. A game that can go unpretty real quick. Lets see what Tuesday brings but at this point, im not confident we'll be walking away with a W.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I hate to be the party pooper but, IMO, I am not all that impressed with last night's win. Sure, we got the 2 points and played better but a 4-3 squeaker against a rebuilding team with 2 fluke goals does not build my confidence. (Zhilkin's bank shot of the foot of Lennox and Valade's 2nd after Sag's clearing shot hit the linesman) Not too impressed with the Pinelli fight either. Firstly, I certainly did not see a "beat down".......He lost the first half and was basically reaching at his opponent towards the end. And secondly, Pinelli is not the guy we want "sheriffing" and losing for 17 minutes in a game. If he is one of our "near superstars", then he needs to stay in the game and score some goals. I can appreciate him coming to Andonovski's defence but Ando is the one guy on the team that can take care of himself.

Yup, the next 5 games or so will tell the true tale. Oh yes, and great to see Martin back on the scoreboard!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I totally agree with you here.
Mississauga was similar to the Rangers and decided to sell which we should have.
They picked up two 2006 first round players which were 5th & 6 th overall.
2005 first round player 13 th overall, plus another player and a bunch of draft picks.
We could have done something similar also.
Because it looks like were going no where.
Miss did well selling their all-stars. Among sellers, I am most impressed with Hamilton doing a complete rebuild in one season mostly by moving 5-OAs. The bulldogs has schooled the league in the art of rebuild in recent years imo.
It’s hard to imagine the Rangers doing something similar to the Steelheads at the deadline.
The rangers could have possibly got more in return for Pinelli than Miss did with DelBelBelluz.
Who on the rangers would have returned the ‘06-1sts that Beck and DelMastro did?

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hate to be the party pooper but, IMO, I am not all that impressed with last night's win. Sure, we got the 2 points and played better but a 4-3 squeaker against a rebuilding team with 2 fluke goals does not build my confidence. (Zhilkin's bank shot of the foot of Lennox and Valade's 2nd after Sag's clearing shot hit the linesman) Not too impressed with the Pinelli fight either. Firstly, I certainly did not see a "beat down".......He lost the first half and was basically reaching at his opponent towards the end. And secondly, Pinelli is not the guy we want "sheriffing" and losing for 17 minutes in a game. If he is one of our "near superstars", then he needs to stay in the game and score some goals. I can appreciate him coming to Andonovski's defence but Ando is the one guy on the team that can take care of himself.

Yup, the next 5 games or so will tell the true tale. Oh yes, and great to see Martin back on the scoreboard!
Beat down or decisive win? Either or. It was a win period. Voting on hockey fights.com would easily give Pinelli the win. I only saw it once. Haven’t seen a replay but in that one viewing, it was a win.

Anyhow, on team that has almost no toughness, and is recognized as soft around these parts, I’ll take that response to a check from behind major any day if the week and twice on Sunday from anyone we can get it from.

As I said, it’s a start. It’s a message sent around the league and to the players in the room. That 2, 5, and 10 last night can pay dividends down the road. I’m not concerned with one of our best players earning an instigator in January if it sends a message.

This is what I want to see from our leadership, not the cross check on Abraham stuff. Hats off to Pinelli as far as I’m concerned.

And let me tell you, around the hockey world, anytime a player coming to the aid of a tough guy, Andonovski in this case, is huge. Tells a guy like Andonovski that he’s not alone out there.

That Zhilkin goal was as much a player not giving up on a play as a fluke goal. Many would have picked up the rebound and circled around to look to pass out front or start a cycle. Having the wherewithal to know that Lennox was going to be picking himself up and repositioning and try and take advantage of that was a goal scorers play. Good on him. Probably about as much a fluke as a bank shot from behind the net.

These are the types of goals you need to get the ball rolling towards wining games.

Look, I have a bad feeling that MM has no intention of firing the coach at this time. He’s going to give him a period of time with a full lineup to turn this thing around. If he wasn’t going to, he’d have axed him by now.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It’s hard to imagine the Rangers doing something similar to the Steelheads at the deadline.
The rangers could have possibly got more in return for Pinelli than Miss did with DelBelBelluz.
Who on the rangers would have returned the ‘06-1sts that Beck and DelMastro did?
We didn’t have an 04 elite WJC forward to deal. This time next year, Rehkopf could bring the return Beck did.

DelMastro went for a 1st and not much else. But getting the 1st was huge. We wouldn’t have gotten a 1st for, say, Pinelli, but we would have gotten 2x2nds and 3x3rds +.

Had we decided to sell, we could have doubled the 2nds and 3rds that we held before the all in, by moving Pinelli, Schmidt, Mesar and Costantini.

Reactions: dirty12

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Swick out with an injury. Hopefully, minor because he's needed on the 3rd line.

The change in the top two lines is a good move. Now let them play as lines long enough to get used to each other's style of play and yes, chemistry. Valade stepped up and like last season, I hope this continues. Now if the Arcuri-Pinelli-Mesar line can get it going. Yes, they receive a lot of "attention" but it's not going to get any easier in the NHL. They need to find ways to score and score often.

Sag is 3rd place in the conference for a reason and Rangers down in lowly 9th beat them. Simple as that. Next up, London who were pummeled 6-3 by Guelph and then beat down 4-1 by Windsor (and Shane Wright). This team CAN be beat and with 60 hard fought minutes, Rangers have an opportunity. It's up to them. None of us can do it for them.

I don't expect a Memorial Cup or a Conference title but I do expect the Rangers to live up to their potential EVERY game.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
We didn’t have an 04 elite WJC forward to deal. This time next year, Rehkopf could bring the return Beck did.

DelMastro went for a 1st and not much else. But getting the 1st was huge. We wouldn’t have gotten a 1st for, say, Pinelli, but we would have gotten 2x2nds and 3x3rds +.

Had we decided to sell, we could have doubled the 2nds and 3rds that we held before the all in, by moving Pinelli, Schmidt, Mesar and Costantini.
The rangers could have probably got Wright & Hache for Schmidt and Rehkopf as well.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Miss did well selling their all-stars. Among sellers, I am most impressed with Hamilton doing a complete rebuild in one season mostly by moving 5-OAs. The bulldogs has schooled the league in the art of rebuild in recent years imo.
Rangers could take a lesson from Hamilton on how to deal with excess OAs. Back in the day when Gareffa unexpectedly returned they rushed into trading him and basically gave away one of the top OAs. Just another example how poor their asset management is.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Beat down or decisive win? Either or. It was a win period. Voting on hockey fights.com would easily give Pinelli the win. I only saw it once. Haven’t seen a replay but in that one viewing, it was a win.
I watched the game and I didn't think Pinelli won the fight at all nor did the fans. Phillips went off the ice with this arms in the air and fans cheering. It was either because he won the fight or because he got Pinelli off the ice for 17 minutes or both. I can appreciate the fact that he is being a captain and standing up for his team but at this point, there should be some others ready to do the same. Pinelli has already lost significant minutes stepping into fights and mouth guard infractions. (Though one could blame the refs but then again, the captain should set a good example there as well) The grit we did NOT at before the trade deadline needs to be made up by the whole team and not just by a valuable piece of our offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad