Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I watched the game and I didn't think Pinelli won the fight at all nor did the fans. Phillips went off the ice with this arms in the air and fans cheering. It was either because he won the fight or because he got Pinelli off the ice for 17 minutes or both. I can appreciate the fact that he is being a captain and standing up for his team but at this point, there should be some others ready to do the same. Pinelli has already lost significant minutes stepping into fights and mouth guard infractions. (Though one could blame the refs but then again, the captain should set a good example there as well) The grit we did NOT at before the trade deadline needs to be made up by the whole team and not just by a valuable piece of our offence.
I’d like to see that fight again. As I said, just one viewing.

I think part of the reason for the Abraham cross check was that he’d just been dinged for mouth guard violations two games in a row and Abraham was skating around all night with his hanging out and no call. Even the fans in our end were chanting “mouth guard” every time he was in our end, and loud, and no call. Refs seemingly were refusing to call the obvious.

Of course, no excuse for Pinelli’s actions.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I watched the game and I didn't think Pinelli won the fight at all nor did the fans. Phillips went off the ice with this arms in the air and fans cheering. It was either because he won the fight or because he got Pinelli off the ice for 17 minutes or both. I can appreciate the fact that he is being a captain and standing up for his team but at this point, there should be some others ready to do the same. Pinelli has already lost significant minutes stepping into fights and mouth guard infractions. (Though one could blame the refs but then again, the captain should set a good example there as well) The grit we did NOT at before the trade deadline needs to be made up by the whole team and not just by a valuable piece of our offence.
I can't find fault in Pinelli stepping up on his own and taking a more physical role. He's trying to set an example of what most agree this team is sorely lacking. The problem lies with a coaching staff that doesn't get the entire roster to buy in to the concept that more grit is needed. It's sad that one 19 year old kid has to take this on himself by trying to lead by example.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
th place I can't find fault in Pinelli stepping up on his own and taking a more physical role. He's trying to set an example of what most agree this team is sorely lacking. The problem lies with a coaching staff that doesn't get the entire roster to buy in to the concept that more grit is needed. It's sad that one 19 year old kid has to take this on himself by trying to lead by example.
9th place Rangers did beat the 3rd place team in the conference. That's something. On Pinelli fighting , captains do have to set an example. Blue is correct that this team needs to stand together even if it means a few other players go home with a shiner. Any coach earning his salt will send a 4th liner out to goad Pinelli. Can't have him sitting out periods at a time. Rangers really lack in goal scoring when you look at league stats. They need Pinelli on the ice. The win never really moved the needle. Games in hand will be huge now. Rangers need to grind out some wins. There are no easy wins in the west. PS: Valade with 2. Glad they kept him.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I watched the game and I didn't think Pinelli won the fight at all nor did the fans. Phillips went off the ice with this arms in the air and fans cheering. It was either because he won the fight or because he got Pinelli off the ice for 17 minutes or both. I can appreciate the fact that he is being a captain and standing up for his team but at this point, there should be some others ready to do the same. Pinelli has already lost significant minutes stepping into fights and mouth guard infractions. (Though one could blame the refs but then again, the captain should set a good example there as well) The grit we did NOT at before the trade deadline needs to be made up by the whole team and not just by a valuable piece of our

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
On the recoup front next season. Rangers will run into a situation where they have to recoup the picks MM used "to go for it" this season. He has no picks to speak of to trade. Only players. Not sure what this entails as far as when players can be traded. Recently with others on HF this situation has come up.
I believe it has been said that up until a certain time only picks can be traded. If that is the draft does that not leave MM holding the bag with an empty cupboard?
Maybe someone with the knowledge this can explain the situation.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
On the recoup front next season. Rangers will run into a situation where they have to recoup the picks MM used "to go for it" this season. He has no picks to speak of to trade. Only players. Not sure what this entails as far as when players can be traded. Recently with others on HF this situation has come up.
I believe it has been said that up until a certain time only picks can be traded. If that is the draft does that not leave MM holding the bag with an empty cupboard?
Maybe someone with the knowledge this can explain the situation.
Players cannot be traded until the freeze is lifted which is normally June 1st. Picks only trade is allowed 1 week before the draft. Normally opens on the Monday before and closes again on Friday before the draft which is usually on the Saturday.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks! For me, maybe not a beat down, but that’s a win for Pinelli. Phillips was strong early, but Pinelli recovered and came on strong and finished. He did better in the fight overall and the linesmen had to come in when they did as Pinelli was taking it to him good.

I’d rather be on Pinelli’s side of that fight than Phillips’ side.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If that was Phillips he fought , he has 2 points in 14 games. 5'11" 175. He takes Pinelli out of the game. Not a great trade off.
Umm, this just wasn’t two players squaring off for the hell of it or an inferior player sucking in a first liner to get him off the ice. This was a player responding to a dirty hit on the spur of the moment. When that’s the case, doesn’t matter star or fourth liner.

Again, these are the easiest kind of penalties to kill off.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Umm, this just wasn’t two players squaring off for the hell of it or an inferior player sucking in a first liner to get him off the ice. This was a player responding to a dirty hit on the spur of the moment. When that’s the case, doesn’t matter star or fourth liner.

I agree. Richards and Gabe always jumped in when it was required. My point though is if MM had of brought in someone like a Mutter as an example these cheap shot players would think twice about the consequences. Surprised MM never looked in that direction. Guess he thought it wasn't needed going by the size of the team. I prefer having a player or two on the squad that opponents are aware of but some on here have informed me over time hockey has changed and it's not really needed anymore.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018

Made up stats are easily the best kind of stats

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You can see the difference in the passion for the game of hockey by looking at Saggy's thread. Here we talk about Pinelli's fight and there , nothing even mentioned about the game. It's as though they never played last night.

Rangers2022

Dec 15, 2022
Not that it really matters too much, but not sure how anyone could say Pinelli didn't win that fight. Started not terribly well for him, but be was feeding him at the end. Landed the last several shots as the linesmen stepped in. Just my 2 cents.

Still far from sold on what we're seeing here. But any semblance of grit is welcome.
Yes Pinelli won the last half of that fight with several shots.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
You can see the difference in the passion for the game of hockey by looking at Saggy's thread. Here we talk about Pinelli's fight and there , nothing even mentioned about the game. It's as though they never played last night.

Unlike this board when we get all kinds of posts after a game that the Rangers never showed up to play! :)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Is anyone else experiencing wacky things lately here...like double posts and difficulty in quoting a post when on a cell? Replying to a quote always ends up within the quote itself?

Reactions: All the Answers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Is anyone else experiencing wacky things lately here...like double posts and difficulty in quoting a post when on a cell? Replying to a quote always ends up within the quote itself?
I have at times. I think it happens to me when the page takes a bit of time to finish downloading when I hit "Reply" and I get impatient and try to do it again.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Okay, so please let me clarify a couple of things. I rewatched the fight video and I suppose Pinelli "wins" the fight though it depends on how you score it. Do you count punches thrown or only the ones that land? And do you count that last "bop" on the head, while the linesman is in there, as a punch. I stick with my original thought..........it was NOT a beat down.

Was it a good move? Yes, the captain is trying to stir this team up but it should have been mission accomplished months ago. If I am coach the opposing team, I tell my 4th line players, "Go sucker Pinelli into a fight. Take one of his team mates into the boards if you have to. We don't want his goal scoring butt on the ice and he is the only guy on the team that fights."

I really hope Pinelli tells his team, "It would be nice if some of you guys did this, for a change?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad