Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014
Can a Rangers fan explain to me why they decided to go all in at the deadline (and just prior) when they were a bubble playoff team? Seems like they are in no mans land and they gave away a ton of assets. Is there any resentment by the fans towards management and/or coaching? On paper this team is too good to be this bad in the standings imo
I've mentioned this before. The worse thing that happened this year was that 6 game winning streak before Christmas. It made MM think we were a contender rather than a pretender.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
"this team is built for the playoffs'

There is no way he said that LMAO,

and if he did, I can confirm I want the Kool Aid too.

Pope is one that I can't stand because he constantly cherry picks his facts. People will rag on Farwell and I get it, he's a homer but you'll never meet someone nicer. Guy legit grew up in the Aud, I am fine with him being very very very pro rangers.

Let's say he's right. What is he suggesting?

Because Windsor, Sarnia, London, Owen Sound, Are all also built for the playoffs. Varying levels of course. OS is coming back down to reality after people thought they where a juggernaut in the early parts of the season. But the other 3? We're not getting by them. Windsors goaltending is Shakey but they can just outscore us lol. London is clearly better and are finally getting back to having a healthy tandem (I loved last years run, but its a different story if Brochu could even move, again I loved it, Petizian forever!) And Sarnia finally went all in where they addressed all needs and not just inside their top 6.

This team isn't winning beyond the first round and that's only if they can manage to get into the 5 slot and to do that they'd need to put up a record like 14-6-2 and Saginaw would need to continue to lose and Guelph would need not to go on 8-2 runs. Its not happening.

I know that I have a lot of opinions like this. I am still first out of my seat when they score because I love the Kitchener Rangers. But this brand of hockey from Chris Dennis sucks. I don't know if I trust Mike McKenzie to do another draft.

We're in tough here. And there is no help on the way. A short playoff run or no playoffs at all to get the best drafting spot is ideal. But another failed draft or another sting of horribly timed moves, trades and such, and we're likely not talking about meaningful hockey at the aud for 3 to 4 seasons.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo

Pope is one that I can't stand because he constantly cherry picks his facts. People will rag on Farwell and I get it, he's a homer but you'll never meet someone nicer. Guy legit grew up in the Aud, I am fine with him being very very very pro rangers.

Because Windsor, Sarnia, London, Owen Sound, Are all also built for the playoffs. Varying levels of course. OS is coming back down to reality after people thought they where a juggernaut in the early parts of the season. But the other 3? We're not getting by them. Windsors goaltending is Shakey but they can just outscore us lol. London is clearly better and are finally getting back to having a healthy tandem (I loved last years run, but its a different story if Brochu could even move, again I loved it, Petizian forever!) And Sarnia finally went all in where they addressed all needs and not just inside their top 6.

This team isn't winning beyond the first round and that's only if they can manage to get into the 5 slot and to do that they'd need to put up a record like 14-6-2 and Saginaw would need to continue to lose and Guelph would need not to go on 8-2 runs. Its not happening.

I know that I have a lot of opinions like this. I am still first out of my seat when they score because I love the Kitchener Rangers. But this brand of hockey from Chris Dennis sucks. I don't know if I trust Mike McKenzie to do another draft.

We're in tough here. And there is no help on the way. A short playoff run or no playoffs at all to get the best drafting spot is ideal. But another failed draft or another sting of horribly timed moves, trades and such, and we're likely not talking about meaningful hockey at the aud for 3 to 4 seasons.
Yeah, he said it, really Chris, really!!!

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I've mentioned this before. The worse thing that happened this year was that 6 game winning streak before Christmas. It made MM think we were a contender rather than a pretender.
I think MM drank a few of those Bobby Margaritas and saw himself holding up the Mem Cup. The only difference to what's happening with the Rangers and Custard's last stand is Custard had no video of what happened the next morning.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Anyone starting to wonder if we should trust MM with the next draft or the sell off next year?

I appreciate McKenzie's aggressiveness and attempts to deliver for this fanbase, but his blind spots are killing him. Those are the staff hired around him. His scouts are atrocious and his coaches even worse. As a Habs fan, I saw it for years, where a GM who was actually decent with trades (like MM) sunk himself by being loyal to coaches and staff who clearly couldn't get the job done.

Mar 12, 2009
like to get some of that cool aid Chris Pope drinks, seriously LOL
Jonestown was amazing advertising for Kool Aid...despite the fact that they used Flavour Aid. The more you know!

Something has to be wrong with Mesar. Maybe homesick or injured. It's gotten to the point that last night at the Niagara game I asked my buddy if he was even playing near the end of the first period. Neither of us even noticed him.

Not being noticed is a good thing for a shutdown defenceman. It usually means he's doing his job. Not such a good thing for what's supposed to be a highly skilled forward. If this was his draft year I wouldn't take him until the 3rd+ round.
He came into the season thinking he was fully ready for the AHL and pro hockey in NA...now I think the abysmal coaching is hurting him, but I wonder if it's also been a wake up call for him, which could have bruised his confidence perhaps, as he may realize he's further away from the NHL, and even the AHL, than he thought. Can't see him sticking around here if Dennis returns, could see him going to a top Euro league if he doesn't end up quite ready for the AHL next year.

Even with the horrible coach and systems, under a point per game based on the hype and being an offense first player, under a point per game is pretty disappointing, more so when you consider a decent amount of those point came in his first few games when he had a hot start.

"this team is built for the playoffs'
I think you misheard him, Millpond...surely he must have said "this team is built for the layoffs"

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I appreciate McKenzie's aggressiveness and attempts to deliver for this fanbase, but his blind spots are killing him. Those are the staff hired around him. His scouts are atrocious and his coaches even worse. As a Habs fan, I saw it for years, where a GM who was actually decent with trades (like MM) sunk himself by being loyal to coaches and staff who clearly couldn't get the job done.
MM was hired with video coach on his resume. He did get a cup of coffee in the AHL. Dennis another video coach. Not sure if he even laced on a pair of skates. Can't find where he played the game. I know some will say there are coaches that never played the game and still were great coaches. Here we have four guys on the bench behind the players. Do they all have on rose coloured glasses?

Mar 12, 2009
MM was hired with video coach on his resume. He did get a cup of coffee in the AHL. Dennis another video coach. Not sure if he even laced on a pair of skates. Can't find where he played the game. I know some will say there are coaches that never played the game and still were great coaches. Here we have four guys on the bench behind the players. Do they all have on rose coloured glasses?
MM played NCAA which is arguably above OHL...he's proven decent at making trades to try and build a team, but not at building a team through the draft or developing players to their potential.

Dennis is probably a very fine to very good video coach, there's nothing wrong with that, some people are very good in specialized fields. Maybe he'd even be an ok assistant coach, but he doesn't have the goods to be a head coach at this level. Period. Our assisstant's, one of which has tons of NHL experience (Wideman) are also nothing to write home about these last few years and haven't shown they bring any value this year.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

I think you misheard him, Millpond...surely he must have said "this team is built for the layoffs"

My bad.. That's what happens when one listens to the broadcast on a transistor radio...

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Anyone starting to wonder if we should trust MM with the next draft or the sell off next year?

My concern is to what extend this team will be affected after such trades are made in order to recoup draft assets.

- Next year's line-up will be much weaker, even prior to any trading.
If two of the better players on this team are traded as has been suggested to bring in draft assets, I cringe at the thought of how week this team is going to be. Will it come to a point where MM would need to use up some of those acquired draft picks to bring in an experienced player or two just to hold up a potentially inept team ? That could be a bit unfortunate and somewhat (arguably) counter-productive.

- There was some reference previously to Hamilton as to how this team can "go for it this year" and then refill the draft cupboard next season - I think it may have been Josh Brown's article (?) This may be apples : oranges. IMO, Hamilton had more to trade to fill their cupboard and still have enough left on the ice to remain reasonably competitive - perhaps also partially because of the young talent that was brought in. If MM trades next year to restock as he alluded to, to what level of restocking does that bring this team ? Does that simply replenish the draft cupboard (which would be a shame considering that this team could have been overflowing with picks if they sold this season), or will this team truly bring the draft asset level up substantially. Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't see this team ending up with a similar draft cupboard to what Hamilton accomplished this year after the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
MM played NCAA which is arguably above OHL...he's proven decent at making trades to try and build a team, but not at building a team through the draft or developing players to their potential.

Dennis is probably a very fine to very good video coach, there's nothing wrong with that, some people are very good in specialized fields. Maybe he'd even be an ok assistant coach, but he doesn't have the goods to be a head coach at this level. Period. Our assisstant's, one of which has tons of NHL experience (Wideman) are also nothing to write home about these last few years and haven't shown they bring any value this year.
I'm unsure about MMs ability to make trades at this point. A big part of that is to evaluate if your team if it is ready to compete, then self evaluate for weaknesses and trade accordingly. For all MM traded an 8th place team at this stage of the season is one of the most massive fails that I can recall in OHL history. All MM proved this season is he knows how to empty a draft cupboard with no results. Couple that with his inability to draft and develop players and that should lead to a pink slip at seasons end. Only thing that should be saving him is a miracle turn around and a respectable playoff run. And that he's Bob's kid.

That should be what happens. But I'm not holding my breath with the sorry crew that runs this underachieving franchise.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Yes the Rangers have Wideman and others running the bench. Makes one wonder why they have kept these assistants. Wideman coaches the defense and it's a disaster. Not every NHL player is cut out to be a coach. Wideman should be canned along with Dennis if MM has any balls. MM couldn't have much faith in him as a coach if Dennis was brought in as head coach. Personally I think MM is here to start with because of his name more than his resume. Having him as GM has not changed a damn thing as far as poor scouting and on ice performance. His rope should be shortened also. These guys are lucky it is community owned. Privately owned they would have been shown the door. I feel sorry for the Ranger players. It's like a ship without a rudder for the most part.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
My concern is to what extend this team will be affected after such trades are made in order to recoup draft assets.

- Next year's line-up will be much weaker, even prior to any trading.
If two of the better players on this team are traded as has been suggested to bring in draft assets, I cringe at the thought of how week this team is going to be. Will it come to a point where MM would need to use up some of those acquired draft picks to bring in an experienced player or two just to hold up a potentially inept team ? That could be a bit unfortunate and somewhat (arguably) counter-productive.

- There was some reference previously to Hamilton as to how this team can "go for it this year" and then refill the draft cupboard next season - I think it may have been Josh Brown's article (?) This may be apples : oranges. IMO, Hamilton had more to trade to fill their cupboard and still have enough left on the ice to remain reasonably competitive - perhaps also partially because of the young talent that was brought in. If MM trades next year to restock as he alluded to, to what level of restocking does that bring this team ? Does that simply replenish the draft cupboard (which would be a shame considering that this team could have been overflowing with picks if they sold this season), or will this team truly bring the draft asset level up substantially. Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't see this team ending up with a similar draft cupboard to what Hamilton accomplished this year after the trade deadline.
I think I asked the question a while back on whether you can trade players leading up to the draft. Someone from the Windsor thread said you can only trade picks. Now the Rangers have none of those pick things thanks to MM going for it. Where does that leave him as far as trading players for picks? Would he do this after the draft? Maybe someone with this knowledge can answer.

Reactions: rangersblues

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think I asked the question a while back on whether you can trade players leading up to the draft. Someone from the Windsor thread said you can only trade picks. Now the Rangers have none of those pick things thanks to MM going for it. Where does that leave him as far as trading players for picks? Would he do this after the draft? Maybe someone with this knowledge can answer.
You can't trade players until June 1st.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This season isnt going to be defined by wins or losses during the regular season nor by any playoff results (if any). But it should be defined by major structural changes to the organization from upper management, hockey staff of GM, coaches and scouts. Anything less and the season is more of a failure than just the on ice product.

Lets get this franchise back to where the Rangers Brass wants us to believe they are and keeps telling us! A franchise that's elite, that players want to come to to further their hockey career in the pros or the CIS or at least leave here with positive memories of playing for the Rangers.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Who knows what MMs master plan for rebuilding after this season is. All I know is if he doesn't hit it out of the ball park with the two first rounders fans will be longing for the days where we were a middle of the pack team for a long long time. We're going to be bottom feeders for at least 2 seasons as it stands now.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Who knows what MMs master plan for rebuilding after this season is. All I know is if he doesn't hit it out of the ball park with the two first rounders fans will be longing for the days where we were a middle of the pack team for a long long time. We're going to be bottom feeders for at least 2 seasons as it stands now.
Listening to MMs interview he basically said he builds up every two years and goes for it in the 3rd if I listened correctly. So going by that plan this is his big year then it's back to rebuild. I think he should listen to Paul Simon. Make a new plan Stan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad