Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
New to the Forum. Been a reader for a while. Enjoy the banter. As a STH and knowing some of the current/past directors, I wanted to try to clarify a couple of things.
The 38 'Directors' are for the most part glorified volunteers. Those same Directors are the people you see selling 50/50 tickets, programs, jersey raffles and any special events the Rangers run. It's one of the reasons I never ran, because I enjoy (enjoyed) watching the games and didn't want to have to give that up. The Directors are elected each year at the Annual Meeting. Mostly a popularity contest.
There is a Board that is elected out of those 38 Directors. There are around 10-12 people on that Board. It is supposed to be an Administrative Board, meaning that it has no direct imput or direction on the Operations of the club. So we can't expect the Board to do anything with respect to the Coach and/or GM, other than their administrative duty to hire/fire the CEO. So one could say they could put pressure on Birch, but I think he should be aware that his future is dictated by the performance of the team.
I have no idea as to how they measure that performance (profit v wins/losses).
I am as frustrated as many of you are with the current state of the franchise, but we also have to be careful what we wish for. What if the team was privatized and another Burgess steps up to buy it as a toy for his up and coming 15 year old?
I do yearn for those good old days. Watched some of those teams on Rogers over the holidays where our 3rd line would crush today's second line. Don't know where we went wrong - just hope we don't stay lost for long!!
What sort of state is this team in when new HFBoard members use LostRangers as their username....ugh....

Reactions: Roadhog and bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Our scouts look at the amateur report list of who is good and pick the next available. There will be nothing creative. 'Best available player' has been the MO for years, and I bet my years salary on MM sticking to that plan.
Ever watch the Ranger draft videos when the scouts come out to be interviewed on each pick? Some are little short guys that look like they won the World Limbo Stick Championship. Where did these guys come from anyway?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Our scouts look at the amateur report list of who is good and pick the next available. There will be nothing creative. 'Best available player' has been the MO for years, and I bet my years salary on MM sticking to that plan.
Here's hoping he scouting players as well as he did a head coach! ...yes, being sarcastic.

Reactions: bobber

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

Not sure how much confidence I have in their selections, but I am quite confident that their first pick in the upcoming 2023 draft will come well before their compensatory first-round draft pick.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Not sure how much confidence I have in their selections, but I am quite confident that their first pick in the upcoming 2023 draft will come well before their compensatory first-round draft pick.
Our comp pick is 11th overall. I think we'll be picking somewhere in that area with our regular pick when it's all said and done.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Yup. That's how we ended up with Andrew LeBlanc.

Ever watch the Ranger draft videos when the scouts come out to be interviewed on each pick? Some are little short guys that look like they won the World Limbo Stick Championship. Where did these guys come from anyway?
"Me from Mummy's belly. Daddy on Board of Directors."

• Haha

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Arguably the biggest weekend of the season. I don't think any will compare.

3 in 3.

Against Guelph, Niagara and Guelph.

Guelph shouldn't be taken lightly. The Rangers have the more talented roster but one team is 8-2 in last 10 and the other is the Rangers.

One is finding ways, the other is the Rangers lol.

6 points is a must. 6 points goes a long way.

Now, 6 points still keeps us in 8th. So when I say it goes a long way, more so mean these are the games you can't let slip.

Anything less than 3 points and again, Dennis needs to be fired.

Lets see a good weekend, Give us a reason to believe Rangers.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers sitting in 16th spot in the league. Tied with Oshawa and the Soo all at 40 points. Erie is in 19th with 37 points. The only thing that keeps them from falling further down is games in hand and that is slowly evaporating because they haven't taken advantage of them. Rangers have two glaring weaknesses. Porous defense and a lack of goal scoring. They need to play complete games for 60 minutes and should still be competitive even if Pinelli is missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Rangers sitting in 16th spot in the league. Tied with Oshawa and the Soo all at 40 points. Erie is in 19th with 37 points. The only thing that keeps them from falling further down is games in hand and that is slowly evaporating because they haven't taken advantage of them. Rangers have two glaring weaknesses. Porous defense and a lack of goal scoring. They need to play complete games for 60 minutes and should still be competitive even if Pinelli is missing.
Porous defense and lack of goal scoring. That covers the entire scope of being successful in hockey. 😁 It also sums up the Rangers pretty well.

Reactions: Torts and GeoBlue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Porous defense and lack of goal scoring. That covers the entire scope of being successful in hockey. 😁 It also sums up the Rangers pretty well.
The Rangers are a team that has to score to stay in games. It's almost a given that they will give up freebies in every game they are involved in. They just can't tighten up the defense for some reason. There have been a few games where they look solid. There are a couple of times during the year when Ranger fans seem to get excited. The trade deadline and the draft. Rangers did make some interesting moves in trades that haven't bared fruit yet. Let's hope they do a better job at the draft after flopping in that area last year. Got to look forward to something.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
This was a big mistake, MM should have sold . If we make playoffs we probably will meet Windsor for a first round exit in 4. Also heard through billets team hates coach, not a good scenario going forward. We need a coach the team will run through the boards for. As a STH very disappointing season, getting to be like Leafs, same old, same old. Need to find something else to do with my money after 30 years a STH. Don’t even want to go to games anymore.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This was a big mistake, MM should have sold . If we make playoffs we probably will meet Windsor for a first round exit in 4. Also heard through billets team hates coach, not a good scenario going forward. We need a coach the team will run through the boards for. As a STH very disappointing season, getting to be like Leafs, same old, same old. Need to find something else to do with my money after 30 years a STH. Don’t even want to go to games anymore.
Windsor is the highest scoring team in the league. Rangers wouldn't be around long in a series the way they are playing. MM hired Dennis. After screwing up at the draft and then this hiring he should be gone also if this run turns into a nightmare. He cleaned out the draft cupboard. Now fans are talking they have to trade off there top players going into next season. Can't imagine a STH sitting through two years of boring losses waiting to right the ship. Poor drafting is an issue also. This isn't a very intelligent way to operate a franchise. Fans should still see the light at the end of the tunnel even in a down year.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Windsor is the highest scoring team in the league. Rangers wouldn't be around long in a series the way they are playing. MM hired Dennis. After screwing up at the draft and then this hiring he should be gone also if this run turns into a nightmare. He cleaned out the draft cupboard. Now fans are talking they have to trade off there top players going into next season. Can't imagine a STH sitting through two years of boring losses waiting to right the ship. Poor drafting is an issue also. This isn't a very intelligent way to operate a franchise. Fans should still see the light at the end of the tunnel even in a down year.
Haven't seen the light at the end of the tunnel for about 15 years.

• Haha

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Got my first season ticket in the 68-69 season, took a few yrs off when I wasnt in town. Then picked them up again when back. Finally gave up in the 2019-2020 season and have zero desire in going back as a STH. Game by game now for me now. Got to prioritize things in life now for time and money and sitting through boring losing hockey isnt it!

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022

I don't even think we need to confirm it through the billets.

The way he gets defended by management. And the weird way that Pinelli who has 100% tuned him out (My seasons are to the left behind the bench, you can see the body language) carried water for him that one time.

This team is being carried by individual efforts and that says all you need to know.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Not me to defend CD but teenage boys running the club and your captain leading the way at that?...geesch

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not me to defend CD but teenage boys running the club and your captain leading the way at that?...geesch
You have to think that the Rangers management has damaged the brand somewhat. Parents of these players coming up the pipeline have a lot of inside knowledge about the way these teams develop players. They are all hoping their sons make it to the next level at some point. Making the OHL is a huge achievement in itself. Most minor hockey players never get a sniff. A few Rangers are on the radar for the NHL draft. Hope they don't get that taken away because of poor coaching.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
You have to think that the Rangers management has damaged the brand somewhat. Parents of these players coming up the pipeline have a lot of inside knowledge about the way these teams develop players. They are all hoping their sons make it to the next level at some point. Making the OHL is a huge achievement in itself. Most minor hockey players never get a sniff. A few Rangers are on the radar for the NHL draft. Hope they don't get that taken away because of poor coaching.
I just saw the hammer meet the nail!
Well said......but the Rangers rather try to develop a coach instead of players.

Mar 12, 2009
As a Leaf fan, I've said this before; there are too many people willing to go for a couple games just to see a hockey game for this teams bottom line to be affected by poor performance and those in charge seem content with that. Even with all the disappointing playoff performances the last several years, they've atleast been fairly consistently entertaining during the regular season, unlike the Rangers the last few years.

Missing the playoffs with this squad might be a wakeup call, maybe.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Got my first season ticket in the 68-69 season, took a few yrs off when I wasnt in town. Then picked them up again when back. Finally gave up in the 2019-2020 season and have zero desire in going back as a STH. Game by game now for me now. Got to prioritize things in life now for time and money and sitting through boring losing hockey isnt it!
I think I am at that stage of life. I even thought that IF the Rangers made the playoffs and made an incredible run, I would still be largely disappointed wasting all that time in those lackluster regular season games. I suppose, to me, the end result is not everything. Would rather see 54 competitive games, enjoy my time out, without making the playoffs. I don't think I had this attitude when I was younger.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think I am at that stage of life. I even thought that IF the Rangers made the playoffs and made an incredible run, I would still be largely disappointed wasting all that time in those lackluster regular season games. I suppose, to me, the end result is not everything. Would rather see 54 competitive games, enjoy my time out, without making the playoffs. I don't think I had this attitude when I was younger.
I and many others have said this many times before - One of the most enjoyable seasons since the DeBoer era ended was the first season without him. Even though they missed the playoffs, the culture was still there and they played their hearts out almost every night. The next season they got to the Conference Finals. It's been downhill since.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I and many others have said this many times before - One of the most enjoyable seasons since the DeBoer era ended was the first season without him. Even though they missed the playoffs, the culture was still there and they played their hearts out almost every night. The next season they got to the Conference Finals. It's been downhill since.
Long live Parker Vanbuskirk :)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Though we missed the playoffs, it was a hugely optimistic season. The future was bright. PVB kept us in games and the games were highly entertaining. The icing on the cake was the last home game of the season. Emotional farewell to PVB plus the introduction of Jeremy Morin and Brandon Maxwell on the big screen.

One of my favorite regular season games.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
As a Leaf fan, I've said this before; there are too many people willing to go for a couple games just to see a hockey game for this teams bottom line to be affected by poor performance and those in charge seem content with that. Even with all the disappointing playoff performances the last several years, they've atleast been fairly consistently entertaining during the regular season, unlike the Rangers the last few years.

Missing the playoffs with this squad might be a wakeup call, maybe.

Exactly.

This weekend could very well be the difference between 8th and 9th.

6 points up for grabs and honestly, like I mentioned before anything less than 6 is a failure. These are 6 points against teams the Rangers outclass on paper. With all due respect to Niagara and To Guelph who are better than a lot will give them credit for but these should be guaranteed wins for the Rangers.

If this goes south quickly and 2 points or less are obtained, Ill be waiting on monday to hear the excuses.

Hard to blame the refs, ask for patience, cry in the media about how "WE GOTTA PUT IT TOGETHER" lol. They're like 10 pages deep in the excuses. Enough is enough. Play a full 60, get some points against teams that should be behind you in the standings and run with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad