Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
During the radio pregame, Pope said, in talking about the Hamilton situation, any team in the league would be happy to have Andlauer as an owner. “Oh,” he said, “but not the Rangers because we’re community owned”.

I beg to differ. The Rangers would be so far ahead if we had an owner like Andlauer. Being community owned is a major drag on this franchise.

Had we an owner like Andlauer, perhaps hockey ops wouldn’t be as lax as it has been the last 15 or so years.
What are the advantages of them being owned by the community right now? Obviously it prevents them from being relocated but that wouldn't happen. On their page they have 38 directors which seems like a lot. So the board of directors hired Joe Birch and Birch hires the other guys. Does the board have the power to fire DennIs? Or can McKenzie or is it Birch?

Reactions: rangersblues

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
What are the advantages of them being owned by the community right now? Obviously it prevents them from being relocated but that wouldn't happen. On their page they have 38 directors which seems like a lot. So the board of directors hired Joe Birch and Birch hires the other guys. Does the board have the power to fire DennIs? Or can McKenzie or is it Birch?

Optics and a small amount of funds funnelled into the community. That's all I've got.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
At the end of the 2nd, it was Sting 2 Rangers 1....shots 15 Sarnia 11 Kitchener.
IMHO Rangers were playing very well and certainly had their chances. Couldn't buy a goal.

3rd period. 7:12 Pinelli gets a penalty that no one in my section saw. And we were looking that way. (If someone has video of this so-called infraction, I'd like to see it.) Cairns takes way to long to "review video footage". Verdict....5 minutes for cross checking. That's 25% of the 3rd period on the PK.

OH but Cairns is not done. And a game misconduct. SAY WHAT?? That travesty in London when Edward laid out Misaljevic cold...yes unconscious. Review. Verdict: waved off completely. Misaljevic is now out of commission with a concussion.

So now, Sarnia has 5 minutes to shoot at will and thankfully, only managed one goal...but yes, lots of shots.

After the penalty, Rangers still had a chance to score but now without Pinelli.

Then at 13:38, Zhilkin was at the doorstep of Gaudreau. In no way did he deserve what came next. TWO Sting players gang up on Zhilkin on the boards. One starts punching him. A 3rd Sting moves in and chaos erupts. Cairn calmly stands by and watches it all take place long enough for Zhilkin...who was being mugged...strikes back. Result: Zhilkin and Dillingham 2 minutes each for roughing. The other two Sting involved in the mugging? Nada.

THIS was the 3rd period. Frankly, Rangers deserved better. Would Sarnia have won without all this Cairn crap. Might have but that 5 minute and misconduct to Pinelli was a game changer.

Doesn't matter now. MM has come out and criticized the call on penalty but stated, sending in video will do zero to change any of this or even investigate it for that matter.

Now....Rangers need to put it behind them and focus on this Friday's game against Guelph. Hopefully, we will not see Cairns again for a long time to come.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I've said it before and I'll say it again; The organization so reminds me of the recent Hockey Canada fiasco. A "Bored" of Directors that have grown comfortable with their free season tickets, perks, etc with no one being accountable and no one on the outside stirring the pot. The prime directive is to make as much money as possible so that the perks keep coming in. And does it really take 38 directors to run a team? With the camaraderie, we get an unqualified scouting team that gets hired via nepotism. I've been a season ticket holder for quite some time and I have never figured out how one gets into these elite positions. Do we have to wait for some sort of sex scandal to get a proper investigation of this dis-Organization?

And you know what? I feel the same way about the OHL office. Listening to what MM had to say about the officiating in the league, one wonders what is happening in those offices. Dave Branch and his cronies have got to be in their 90's...Can't they find someone else to take over the reigns? God forbid if anyone sends in a highlight tape, especially on a weekend!!! Apparently, they don't work weekends although most games are played Friday - Sunday. Go figure!

I guess it is just the way of the world, not just in sports, but pretty much anywhere. The season ticket holders can say that they will not renew but there is always another that has been waiting for those tickets in the front row in section 12.

Thank you for letting me vent.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
During the radio pregame, Pope said, in talking about the Hamilton situation, any team in the league would be happy to have Andlauer as an owner. “Oh,” he said, “but not the Rangers because we’re community owned”.

I beg to differ. The Rangers would be so far ahead if we had an owner like Andlauer. Being community owned is a major drag on this franchise.

Had we an owner like Andlauer, perhaps hockey ops wouldn’t be as lax as it has been the last 15 or so years.
The community team has become the white elephant. Every one involved has their fingers in the pie and hopes it never goes away. On another note Pinelli got a little selfish last night and got nailed twice. Both times resulting in Sarnia scoring. Far too many lackadaisical swipes at pucks by the defense resulted in multiple scoring chances for Sarnia. They will put pucks in the net with ease if you give them enough easy chances. Rangers defense just isn't tough enough and makes too many mistakes to compete with skilled forwards like the Sting have on their roster.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
At the end of the 2nd, it was Sting 2 Rangers 1....shots 15 Sarnia 11 Kitchener.
IMHO Rangers were playing very well and certainly had their chances. Couldn't buy a goal.

3rd period. 7:12 Pinelli gets a penalty that no one in my section saw. And we were looking that way. (If someone has video of this so-called infraction, I'd like to see it.) Cairns takes way to long to "review video footage". Verdict....5 minutes for cross checking. That's 25% of the 3rd period on the PK.

OH but Cairns is not done. And a game misconduct. SAY WHAT?? That travesty in London when Edward laid out Misaljevic cold...yes unconscious. Review. Verdict: waved off completely. Misaljevic is now out of commission with a concussion.

So now, Sarnia has 5 minutes to shoot at will and thankfully, only managed one goal...but yes, lots of shots.

Then at 13:38, Zhilkin was at the doorstep of Gaudreau. In no way did he deserve what came next. TWO Sting players gang up on Zhilkin on the boards. One starts punching him. A 3rd Sting moves in and chaos erupts. Cairn calmly stands by and watches it all take place long enough for Zhilkin...who was being mugged...strikes back. Result: Zhilkin and Dillingham 2 minutes each for roughing. The other two Sting involved in the mugging? Nada.

THIS was the 3rd period. Frankly, Rangers deserved better. Would Sarnia have won without all this Cairn crap. Might have but that 5 minute and misconduct to Pinelli was a game changer.

Doesn't matter now. MM has come out and criticized the call on penalty but stated, sending in video will do zero to change any of this or even investigate it for that matter.

Now....Rangers need to put it behind them and focus on this Friday's game against Guelph. Hopefully, we will not see Cairns again for a long time to come.
The player that Pinelli (Abraham) hurt in Windsor is still out. 3 months and counting. He is a dirty player. League has him in their radar I'm sure. No idea what happened last night as I only watched the first period but hopefully he gets a deserved long suspension. Maybe if your captain focused on playing hockey instead of the cheap shots your team might win more?

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The player that Pinelli (Abraham) hurt in Windsor is still out. 3 months and counting. He is a dirty player. League has him in their radar I'm sure. No idea what happened last night as I only watched the first period but hopefully he gets a deserved long suspension. Maybe if your captain focused on playing hockey instead of the cheap shots your team might win more?
What was the Abraham injury? If I remember correctly, he played on that 5 min PP earned by Pinelli.

Was the injury actually related to the infraction? Just asking.

I mean, he skated around all game with his mouth guard hanging out. Could he have taken a headshot after the Pinelli cross check? Just wondering.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I've said it before and I'll say it again; The organization so reminds me of the recent Hockey Canada fiasco. A "Bored" of Directors that have grown comfortable with their free season tickets, perks, etc with no one being accountable and no one on the outside stirring the pot. The prime directive is to make as much money as possible so that the perks keep coming in. And does it really take 38 directors to run a team? With the camaraderie, we get an unqualified scouting team that gets hired via nepotism. I've been a season ticket holder for quite some time and I have never figured out how one gets into these elite positions. Do we have to wait for some sort of sex scandal to get a proper investigation of this dis-Organization?

And you know what? I feel the same way about the OHL office. Listening to what MM had to say about the officiating in the league, one wonders what is happening in those offices. Dave Branch and his cronies have got to be in their 90's...Can't they find someone else to take over the reigns? God forbid if anyone sends in a highlight tape, especially on a weekend!!! Apparently, they don't work weekends although most games are played Friday - Sunday. Go figure!

I guess it is just the way of the world, not just in sports, but pretty much anywhere. The season ticket holders can say that they will not renew but there is always another that has been waiting for those tickets in the front row in section 12.

It's worth being a long time director. Seasons tickets for life after. We have beaten that dead horse to death on here. Helps to vent somewhere. I believe there is a small group of people on the hockey committee that make all decisions on hiring and firing down at the hallowed grounds. Apparently there is one hell of a long rope down there. If the Rangers were to fail to make the playoffs everyone involved in the fiasco should be run out of town. Last nights game exposed a lot of weaknesses in the way this team is being coached. MM sits and watches. He does make decisions on who they draft and how the team is built.

Mar 12, 2009

I think being community owned isn't as big of an issue if you have people running the ship who are interested in winning hockey teams as much as they are about managing the team as a community asset. We've seen private ownership ruin teams as much as improve them. We have the resoursces even to probably hire a guy to handle the paper work type stuff and a guy to handle hockey operations, we'd just have to axe a couple of the bloated positions people hold to make up the cost.

No offense, but comparing the Rangers country club management org to the Hockey Canada board using government funding to silence rape cases, is insane. The Rangers are horrible this year, but unless something comes out that the horror is more than just on ice, it's a bit much.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What was the Abraham injury? If I remember correctly, he played on that 5 min PP earned by Pinelli.

Was the injury actually related to the infraction? Just asking.

I mean, he skated around all game with his mouth guard hanging out. Could he have taken a headshot after the Pinelli cross check? Just wondering.
Teams are very secretive with their injury reports but I've heard that it was stemming from that injury. Sometimes head/neck injuries are hard to diagnosis. So I can't 100 percent say it was but sounds like it is.

Nice2CU

Oct 31, 2021
I think you're off base with Abrahams injury.
The cross check from Pinelli was standing over top of Abraham directed at his upper back or head area from what I saw.
Abraham's injury to my knowledge was his wrist, hand or forearm (was unable to shoot a puck)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I hate complaining about the officiating as it has been pretty decent overall this year, but Cairns and Hiff were awful last night. Especially Cairns. Looked right at a number of blatant infractions and ignored them, only to call the cheapest ones the other way. And how he evened up that gang tackle behind the net is beyond me.
Sarnia had about 8 power plays the last time these teams met. You could knock them down with a feather. The call on Rehkopf was brutal. All 10s for that diving exhibition but the refs called it anyway. The OHL is like the proverbial box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In Pope's article MM was angry about the refs not being consistent in the OHL. This has always been the case and it was last night. I think he should be more angry about the giveaways and takeaways that happen in games like last night. Not sure why the Rangers defense handles the puck like a hot potato. Couple of games they play like world killers and others its like a dogs breakfast inside their blue line.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
In Pope's article MM was angry about the refs not being consistent in the OHL. This has always been the case and it was last night. I think he should be more angry about the giveaways and takeaways that happen in games like last night. Not sure why the Rangers defense handles the puck like a hot potato. Couple of games they play like world killers and others its like a dogs breakfast inside their blue line.
Again last night, just like all season, we saw 2 or 3 spectators just standing around watching the opponent score, without even the slightest attempt to be physical or accountable to their goalie. Of all the issues facing this team - disorganization, low work ethic, low IQ - I still think softness is the biggest one. Opponents have zero fear playing this team.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022

The Pinelli penalty was legit and low key dirty. I tried to clip it but it won’t let me post but he got a two hand cross check up to the face of Burke.

If you’re on Twitter I can send it to your DMs but that penalty was earned

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
I want Fishman, Serpa, Zidlicky, and all the picks back.
😡

You may get your wish.
i for one think this coach really sucks, MM made all those moves and he still can't get these guys going i mean they do have a good lineup but keep losing games, so i have come to the conclusion that this coach sucks and MM should fire this guy and go back behind the bench, because if anyone can get them going its you or your job is on the line.............

fire this coach fire this coach he sucks big time this team is flat all the time with all the moves and good players they have..............

Mar 12, 2009
Again last night, just like all season, we saw 2 or 3 spectators just standing around watching the opponent score, without even the slightest attempt to be physical or accountable to their goalie. Of all the issues facing this team - disorganization, low work ethic, low IQ - I still think softness is the biggest one. Opponents have zero fear playing this team.
Starting to see why some weren't as high on Schmidt in their OHL draft rankings (he was in the top 10-15 for some, 2nd rounder for others)...so many tools, but not a lot of hustle or head for the game or understanding of his skills and how best to utilize them. He's just an example, but one of the more glaring ones.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Starting to see why some weren't as high on Schmidt in their OHL draft rankings (he was in the top 10-15 for some, 2nd rounder for others)...so many tools, but not a lot of hustle or head for the game or understanding of his skills and how best to utilize them. He's just an example, but one of the more glaring ones.

I have always been confused by this player.

I have heard he is very popular off the ice. Everybody loves him.

But how the hell was he drafted so high and how does he have an NHL contract?

Jack Harper was a harder worker than him.

Roman has the size, doesn't use it.

The skill, but to me it just looks very lazy. Just looks like he's going through the motions.

I was alright moving on from him this year but if I am being honest, the sooner he is gone the better/ This is a player I want to like but him being forced to be a top line D when in reality he's a 3/4 at best, it will be better when he's gone and into a program that will know how to use him properly.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
The only inconsistencies MM, is the team and management you assembled.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I don't think the Attack has 38 game night staff 🤔

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Again last night, just like all season, we saw 2 or 3 spectators just standing around watching the opponent score, without even the slightest attempt to be physical or accountable to their goalie. Of all the issues facing this team - disorganization, low work ethic, low IQ - I still think softness is the biggest one. Opponents have zero fear playing this team
Rangers have some weaknesses like every other team. Going into this season I saw the defense as a huge weakness with no grit. Not many banners raised on teams with absolutely no grit on the back end. Also this team is not putting enough pucks behind opposing goalies. Whatever the system is it falls apart at some point in the game. They have opportunities to put the puck on net and the forward always makes one more pass and breaks up the play for some reason. Yet it happens over and over and MM bitches about the refs after.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020

I'm front row red section 12, lol.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Looking for a bit of help...........Can anyone direct me to a podcast or video where Joseph Serpa states that the Rangers have no structure? Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad