Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Though we missed the playoffs, it was a hugely optimistic season. The future was bright. PVB kept us in games and the games were highly entertaining. The icing on the cake was the last home game of the season. Emotional farewell to PVB plus the introduction of Jeremy Morin and Brandon Maxwell on the big screen.

One of my favorite regular season games.
Yes, when the team and organization was all about winning hockey games and players brought the passion every night. Seems like the Upper management enjoyed basking in the wins from PD era and thought it was easy to duplicate. They thought they righted the ship that was taking on water prior to PD being given the reins and slowly they allowed it to slip back into the dark ages. The players deserve much better than what they've been getting here lately.

OK...enough from me on this same matter.
Hopefully for me...Once a Ranger fan, always a Ranger fan

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Hollett on the 4th line tonight! I always wondered why you would ice a 2 man 4th yet have a 7th D sitting out. What has one got to lose throwing the extra D on the 4th line? I hope he provides some of that missing grit.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
An optimist would say that we dominated most of the game tonight and we were good for the win.

A pessimist would say Guelph was two posts away from being up a goal once they scored the shorties late in the third.

IMO, shouldn’t have been that close.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
To put last nights game into perspective the Storm are in a rebuild mode. Traded some skill for younger players and filled their coffers with future picks. It was a battle of the cellar dwellers with the Rangers squeaking out a win. Despite the way things have developed this season here in KTown I believe they said there were 7100 in the seats last night. Harrold Ballard's ghost would be smiling if he use to own this team. Not sure why the Storm seemed so upset at the end last night. Rangers gave them lots of chances to win the game in the last five minutes. CD said after they were too focused on scoring an empty net goal. How many forwards did he have out there? Rangers can't look at these games against the bottom teams as 2 points in the win column before the games are played. They are at the bottom of the heap also. Side note: Rangers had 7 power plays against the worst penalty kill in the league and never scored.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
An optimist would say that we dominated most of the game tonight and we were good for the win.

A pessimist would say Guelph was two posts away from being up a goal once they scored the shorties late in the third.

IMO, shouldn’t have been that close.
I enjoyed the game last night. Yes, Guelph had those two posts but Rangers had many opportunities to score more during the game but didn't finish. 1st was great, 2nd was good, 3rd was mediocre with flashes of good. It was like they were sitting back on their 4-1 lead.

Thankfully, I left before the two shorties which NEVER should have happened. Hopefully lesson learned. They must have felt that we have this in the bag. Well, it's not over until it's over. And agreed, put your top two D on the PP in this situation.

Just the same, TWO POINTS. Now to take Niagara seriously and get the next two because Sunday's game in Guelph is not going to be an easy one. And Guelph has Saturday off...

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Constantini has dropped to 25th in GA now. Dennis said they hung him out to dry at the end last night. This doesn't bode well for when the Rangers going forward. They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
To put last nights game into perspective the Storm are in a rebuild mode. Traded some skill for younger players and filled their coffers with future picks. It was a battle of the cellar dwellers with the Rangers squeaking out a win. Despite the way things have developed this season here in KTown I believe they said there were 7100 in the seats last night. Harrold Ballard's ghost would be smiling if he use to own this team. Not sure why the Storm seemed so upset at the end last night. Rangers gave them lots of chances to win the game in the last five minutes. CD said after they were too focused on scoring an empty net goal. How many forwards did he have out there? Rangers can't look at these games against the bottom teams as 2 points in the win column before the games are played. They are at the bottom of the heap also. Side note: Rangers had 7 power plays against the worst penalty kill in the league and never scored.
Well put! I will give this game another "Ugh!".

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Constantini has dropped to 25th in GA now. Dennis said they hung him out to dry at the end last night. This doesn't bode well for when the Rangers going forward. They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.
Agree. When all 3 of our goalies rank between 32nd and 41st in the whole league, this usually indicates a team problem.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
What has happened to the PK? Just a few games ago it was ranked 4th in the league and now its leaking all over the place, and has them ranked 9th.

Mar 12, 2009
He's averaging an entire goal per game more than last year.

I guess it's worth 2 points, but giving up 5 to a terrible Ice Dogs squad doesn't feel like a "win" with the lineup we have.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He's averaging an entire goal per game more than last year.

I guess it's worth 2 points, but giving up 5 to a terrible Ice Dogs squad doesn't feel like a "win" with the lineup we have.
Even though the Rangers out shot the Dogs they still gave up 35 shots on Vandenberg. They could have easily lost this game. The Rangers have more skill in their line up but it was hard to tell the difference in their play compared to the Ice Dogs at times. I still maintain the defense was soft at the start of the season. They just never found a way to tighten up under Dennis. Also, I don't understand why the forwards get into the slot and pass off killing a lot of scoring chances. Acuri had the whole right side to himself once and a clear lane to the net. He passed off instead of shooting in the first period and the play died. It happened a few times after where the Rangers are trying to set up highlite reel goals and kill off the play.

What has happened to the PK? Just a few games ago it was ranked 4th in the league and now its leaking all over the place, and has them ranked 9th.
Rangers had 7 power plays also and never scored against the Storm.

Last edited:

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
I said that this needed to be a 6 point weekend otherwise it was a failure. Most people would be content with 4 but considering the fact that they nearly blew Friday allowing 2 short handed goals in the last minute, going 0-7 on the PP and Saturday Allowing a severely less talented Niagara team be anywhere in the game, it just shows me this team is nothing more than they are. 8th place. Fringe playoff team that's going to get run in the 1st round.

Really getting annoying seeing the same 4 names pop on the score sheet. Recipe for disaster when teams shut down Arcurri and Pinelli.

Really a joke when you have Arcuri fighting. He goes down and this season is even more of a write off. Our biggest guys are the softest guys in league history and you see them chirping the other team from the bench.

Sit the F down and shut up guys. You're an 8th place team with no fight, no systems and are carried by 4 players and sub average goaltending.

Even a 6 point weekend and we'd still be sitting in 8th.

London Hamilton Barrie London on the docket.

Need 6/8. If you can take 6/8, you head into a short period of games against teams like Hamilton, Soo, Flint, Oshawa and Erie.

This is a big opportunity here but you need to show you can hang with the best of the best during crucial parts of the schedule.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I said that this needed to be a 6 point weekend otherwise it was a failure. Most people would be content with 4 but considering the fact that they nearly blew Friday allowing 2 short handed goals in the last minute, going 0-7 on the PP and Saturday Allowing a severely less talented Niagara team be anywhere in the game, it just shows me this team is nothing more than they are. 8th place. Fringe playoff team that's going to get run in the 1st round.

Really getting annoying seeing the same 4 names pop on the score sheet. Recipe for disaster when teams shut down Arcurri and Pinelli.

Really a joke when you have Arcuri fighting. He goes down and this season is even more of a write off. Our biggest guys are the softest guys in league history and you see them chirping the other team from the bench.

Sit the F down and shut up guys. You're an 8th place team with no fight, no systems and are carried by 4 players and sub average goaltending.

Even a 6 point weekend and we'd still be sitting in 8th.

London Hamilton Barrie London on the docket.

Need 6/8. If you can take 6/8, you head into a short period of games against teams like Hamilton, Soo, Flint, Oshawa and Erie.

This is a big opportunity here but you need to show you can hang with the best of the best during crucial parts of the schedule.
Something has to be wrong with Mesar. Maybe homesick or injured. It's gotten to the point that last night at the Niagara game I asked my buddy if he was even playing near the end of the first period. Neither of us even noticed him.

Not being noticed is a good thing for a shutdown defenceman. It usually means he's doing his job. Not such a good thing for what's supposed to be a highly skilled forward. If this was his draft year I wouldn't take him until the 3rd+ round.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Something has to be wrong with Mesar. Maybe homesick or injured. It's gotten to the point that last night at the Niagara game I asked my buddy if he was even playing near the end of the first period. Neither of us even noticed him.

Not being noticed is a good thing for a shutdown defenceman. It usually means he's doing his job. Not such a good thing for what's supposed to be a highly skilled forward. If this was his draft year I wouldn't take him until the 3rd+ round.

Certainly it isn't working for him.

He was fine in his pro exhibition with MTL/LAV.
Was excellent at the world Juniors.

Systems is likely a big thing. He was already playing pro hockey before coming to Kitchener.

Either way, I still can't imagine Montreal is happy about the development of him and likely keeps him in Quebec next season. But I think we can also say that some of this likely does fall on his shoulders.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Certainly it isn't working for him.

He was fine in his pro exhibition with MTL/LAV.
Was excellent at the world Juniors.

Systems is likely a big thing. He was already playing pro hockey before coming to Kitchener.

Either way, I still can't imagine Montreal is happy about the development of him and likely keeps him in Quebec next season. But I think we can also say that some of this likely does fall on his shoulders.
Good points. I should add the Rangers woes definitely aren't entirely on Mesar's shoulders. It's just one example of a long list of disappointments.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Despite 4 points this weekend, this is looking grim. As mentioned, almost let Guelph back in with 2 shorties in the last minute on Friday. Let the Dogs score a late one while counting our 2 pts. Should not have been that close at all! Today, 6 goals on 18 shots against our goalies. Nothing is looking good. Ugh! Again. Pope still talking about "turning it around" but I think the funeral has begun. They (and Farwell) are sure that the Rangers will at least make the playoffs but I an not so sure. Just a bit of a hot streak by one of the underlings and we are out. We need a miracle. The last miracle I recall is when Jesus resurrected Lazarus. Unfortunately, this year, Jesus plays for the Icedogs.

We can all go back to talking about getting some of our picks back in Bruz and Rake. But if they continue to tank under CD next year, how much are we really going to get for them?

Reactions: All the Answers

ColtsNLeafs

Jul 20, 2022
Despite 4 points this weekend, this is looking grim. As mentioned, almost let Guelph back in with 2 shorties in the last minute on Friday. Let the Dogs score a late one while counting our 2 pts. Should not have been that close at all! Today, 6 goals on 18 shots against our goalies. Nothing is looking good. Ugh! Again. Pope still talking about "turning it around" but I think the funeral has begun. They (and Farwell) are sure that the Rangers will at least make the playoffs but I an not so sure. Just a bit of a hot streak by one of the underlings and we are out. We need a miracle. The last miracle I recall is when Jesus resurrected Lazarus. Unfortunately, this year, Jesus plays for the Icedogs.

We can all go back to talking about getting some of our picks back in Bruz and Rake. But if they continue to tank under CD next year, how much are we really going to get for them?
Can a Rangers fan explain to me why they decided to go all in at the deadline (and just prior) when they were a bubble playoff team? Seems like they are in no mans land and they gave away a ton of assets. Is there any resentment by the fans towards management and/or coaching? On paper this team is too good to be this bad in the standings imo

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

When you look at the two Storm games it's a wash. The Niagara points are really the only ones that counted. Talking about having to trade off your two best players to fix MM's blunders is sad when you look at the big picture. Most successful teams keep the players that are drafted going into the next season. These are your meat and potato guys that add some excitement in down years.
McKenzie should be giving out snorkels to all the fans holding their breath waiting for this group to turn into contenders.

Reactions: rangersblues
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad