Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I prefer 8th. The first round against any of the top 3 is a gamble at the very best, with only a little bit separating any of them from each other. I'd rather get pick 5/6 to go with 11 than 7-9 (unless they do it strictly by points after the bottom 4, but it would be odd to have a 5th in conference place Sudbury team picking ahead of 8th place in conference Kitchener), when the result is probably going to be the same on the ice regardless of if it was Windsor or London.
Yeah pretty sure it goes by points after the top four.

I think we’re drafting 10th and 11th.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
To change the channel on this season.... "
On this day 92 years ago, an NHL goaltender was summoned off the ice in favor of an extra attacker for the first time.

On March 26, 1931, hockey legend Art Ross, then the head coach of the Boston Bruins, pulled goalie Tiny Thompson, leaving the net empty during a playoff game against the Montreal Canadiens".

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Seeing Ward post reminded me about his "nick name" for Paul Fixter. Benjamin Button. :laugh: Then I realized how correct he was when you actually analyze the last 3 years. Rangers have Benjamin Button Syndrome. In a recent interview pre Chris Dennis our GM MM said his blue print is to build up a team and go for it every 3rd year. This being the 3rd year. Forget where we were the year before last. (Old Timers) Last year the team finished 7th. This year 8th. The plan might not hang any banners up in the rafters beside the Fans #1 banner but it seems to fit the syndrome to a tee. Next season is a new beginning. Maybe MM hires Mike Farwell to coach.:thumbu: He won a championship coaching a road hockey team in a tough down town neighbourhood.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Why did Kitchener rest so many guys today? It looks as if they preferred to play Windsor. Odd to me since Windsor outscored Kitchener 25-13 this season.......

Don't take it personally. The Rangers were going to have it tough no matter who they played.
I can think of a number of reasons why I wouldn't want to play any of the 3 top teams.

For instance, some hoped for a London match-up. That Cowan kid who scored his 20th last night.....to me, it seemed like he scored half of those against the Rangers this season....and then there's their goaltending.

Having said all this, Sarnia is playing so well right now, and appear to be well-built for the playoffs (just my opinion of course). So maybe someone could make a case why to avoid them.

In any event it is going to be tough for the Rangers.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Why did Kitchener rest so many guys today? It looks as if they preferred to play Windsor. Odd to me since Windsor outscored Kitchener 25-13 this season. To be honest, I was hoping to avoid Kitchener. Looking at this skilled roster, I have to ask, how in the world did this Kitchener squad finish in 8th???
Maybe the Rangers analytics department advised against a Kitchener / London matchup? Didn’t like the odds of upsetting a team two years in a row?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Don't take it personally. The Rangers were going to have it tough no matter who they played.
I can think of a number of reasons why I wouldn't want to play any of the 3 top teams.

For instance, some hoped for a London match-up. That Cowan kid who scored his 20th last night.....to me, it seemed like he scored half of those against the Rangers this season....and then there's their goaltending.

Having said all this, Sarnia is playing so well right now, and appear to be well-built for the playoffs (just my opinion of

course). So maybe someone could make a case why to avoid them.

In any event it is going to be tough for the Rangers.
Playing Windsor is just ripping the bandaid off and taking the Ranger fans out of their misery. 😉

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Seeing Ward post reminded me about his "nick name" for Paul Fixter. Benjamin Button. :laugh: Then I realized how correct he was when you actually analyze the last 3 years. Rangers have Benjamin Button Syndrome. In a recent interview pre Chris Dennis our GM MM said his blue print is to build up a team and go for it every 3rd year. This being the 3rd year. Forget where we were the year before last. (Old Timers) Last year the team finished 7th. This year 8th. The plan might not hang any banners up in the rafters beside the Fans #1 banner but it seems to fit the syndrome to a tee. Next season is a new beginning. Maybe MM hires Mike Farwell to coach.:thumbu: He won a championship coaching a road hockey team in a tough down town neighbourhood.
This Benjamin Button cycle doesn't need to happen with a lot better scouting and player development. Then there wouldn't be a need to empty the cupboard to hide those 2 shortcomings.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe the Rangers analytics department advised against a Kitchener / London matchup? Didn’t like the odds of upsetting a team two years in a row?
Knight fans were as nervous as an old dog trying to crap razor blades. They breathed a sigh of relief yesterday when the Rangers rested players. They still are having reoccurring night mares of Petizian doing the famous celly sliding across their ice pad screaming like Tarzan. :naughty:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Why did Kitchener rest so many guys today? It looks as if they preferred to play Windsor. Odd to me since Windsor outscored Kitchener 25-13 this season. To be honest, I was hoping to avoid Kitchener. Looking at this skilled roster, I have to ask, how in the world did this Kitchener squad finish in 8th???
There is the obvious........All this talk about "trying" to finish in a spot whereas not to meet Sarnia or Windsor in the 1st round. That London might be the "easier" road. And the Knights listening to all this knowing that we play the last game of the year in their barn. Yeah, I'd be sitting our best players for sure!

Maybe it's a strategic move by MM. Have Windsor all focused on Owen Sound only to find out that they will be playing "the best team on paper!!!" It really doesn't matter. If you want to show people you are better than your record indicates, you need to beat the "top dog teams no matter who they are. And not "on paper" but preferably on the ice!

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014
There's no way to sugar coat this season. It's been a disaster. A failed draft was the starting point. The team went in to the season with high expectations and stumbled mightily out of the gate. MM misjudged his team and made trades that never should have been made. Instead, he should have sold some pieces to load up for next few years. The hiring of the new coach obviously did not work and MM waited way too long before making the change.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There's no way to sugar coat this season. It's been a disaster. A failed draft was the starting point. The team went in to the season with high expectations and stumbled mightily out of the gate. MM misjudged his team and made trades that never should have been made. Instead, he should have sold some pieces to load up for next few years. The hiring of the new coach obviously did not work and MM waited way too long before making the change.
Great post Ranger 77. MM is the GM. He is responsible for this years fiasco. Despite the trades and regardless of how great people think this Ranger team is "on paper" they finished in 8th place. This is an 8th place team. McKenzie did no better than Dennis who he fired. Rangers need a complete over haul behind the bench and in the front office. Not going to happen though. They won't spend the money to bring in another Deboer and let him run the show. Dale Hunter won 900 games. Rangers went through what 10 coaches in that time frame.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
We are in tough regardless of the team we play. Might as well come in any series healthy and slightly more rested then they would have been.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Great post Ranger 77. MM is the GM. He is responsible for this years fiasco. Despite the trades and regardless of how great people think this Ranger team is "on paper" they finished in 8th place. This is an 8th place team. McKenzie did no better than Dennis who he fired. Rangers need a complete over haul behind the bench and in the front office. Not going to happen though. They won't spend the money to bring in another Deboer and let him run the show. Dale Hunter won 900 games. Rangers went through what 10 coaches in that time frame.
If we're not going to hire a good coach/GM I really like your idea of Farsey and Poper 😁.

Reactions: bobber

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Out of those ten I see only two good coaches...VanRyn and McKee. I think that explains a lot!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Are there any STH's on here that purchased playoff tickets? Don't be embarrassed, just curious. I'm just looking at the pricing and it makes as much sense as our season was............

1679938219018.png

Is that supposed to be an 8% discount? LOL! (The other discounts don't make sense either but I suspect we won't get there)

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
Are there any STH's on here that purchased playoff tickets? Don't be embarrassed, just curious. I'm just looking at the pricing and it makes as much sense as our season was............

View attachment 676880
Is that supposed to be an 8% discount? LOL! (The other discounts don't make sense either but I suspect we won't get there)
No increase in price per round? Here's Knights STH price if you comit to buy ALL games.

All Games
Deadline to purchase Friday March 17th, 2023 (credit card pre-authorization form to be completed)

Round 1 $25.23

Round 2 $28.35

Round 3 $34.00

Round 4 $43.04

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
No increase in price per round? Here's Knights STH price if you comit to buy ALL games.

All Games
Deadline to purchase Friday March 17th, 2023 (credit card pre-authorization form to be completed)

Round 1 $25.23

Round 2 $28.35

Round 3 $34.00

Round 4 $43.04
That's one of the perks of being a Ranger STH - ticket prices don't increase round to round. Unfortunately it's a perk that rarely gets to be used.

• Haha
Reactions: sbpointer

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

All Games

Round 1 $25.23

Round 2 $28.35

Round 3 $34.00

Round 4 $43.04
This makes sense. London makes most of their money in the later rounds. Rangers rarely get there so it's more expensive in the 1st round for us.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

View attachment 676880
1679943447716.png

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London

View attachment 676880
So for Adult it's really 0%, 7%, 13%, 18.5%. Math. No wonder we are "contending"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad