Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
He had 5-10-15 points in 58 games last year. Be nice to see that double by seasons end. I pointed out on here earlier that Damiani had 30+ points in his 17 year old year only to explode last year.

The same could be possible for most our ‘02 group going forward (Langdon, MacDonnell, Valade).

I think those guys are all candidates to explode next year. with Hawel, Meireles, Yantsis, probably Damiani moving on, they will all move into top 6 roles

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
For me, I’d be putting Langdon in a situation where he'd have a better chance to succeed. Burying him on the 4th line would be counterproductive in my eyes.

No doubt they return to the Hawel-Damiani-MacDonnell line. They’ll likely put Pinelli back with Meireles-Yantsis, though I’d experiment with someone else up there besides Pinelli. I’d try Petizian there and have Pinelli center Langdon-Valade. But I’m not expecting that to happen.

So, to put Langdon in a better position to succeed, I’d like to see him on the third line centering Petizian-Valade.

Better to do that than to put him with inferior line mates on the 4th line. I drop Stepien down there with Dickerson-Fishman.

Rupoli likely a scratch.

Good game to go into with a nearly healthy lineup for the first time in a while. Let’s see about dominating the Fronts as a warm up to the big test on Sunday in London.

Pfiel has been ok and goaltending hasn’t been an issue. However, with no back to backs for a short time, I think we need to run with Ingham to try and put us in the best position to get some wins in the board.

I've liked Langdon from the start...but every since coming back from his injury, he hasn't been the same. Maybe it will take some more time but that doesn't mean 4th line....agreed! Let's ensure he has the opportunity to succeed.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Langdon makes a lot of subtle but swift plays. He's a sneaky good passer and has good hand eye in front. What he lacks is that non-stop motor and high-end speed. He also lacks confidence right now and - maybe because he's gun shy from his concussion - has stopped going to the dirty areas in front. And for my money, that's where he has to make his living. He has Yantsis-like potential from within 10 feet in the long run with his ability to re-direct pucks and find rebounds. As a peripheral player, he will be relatively useless.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
No excuses tonight.........Pfeil should be able to do the job and if the team plays in front of him, we should see a strong win tonight. The lineup is finally starting to look like it should. Top 2 lines should be re-united. It will be interesting to see how lines 3 and 4 shake out.

Francesco Pinelli-Greg Meireles-Jonathan Yantsis

Liam Hawel-Riley Damiani-Declan McDonnell

Reid Valade-Isaac Langdon-Michael Petizian

Graham Dickerson-Joseph Serpa-Ryan Stepien

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
No excuses tonight.........Pfeil should be able to do the job and if the team plays in front of him, we should see a strong win tonight. The lineup is finally starting to look like it should. Top 2 lines should be re-united. It will be interesting to see how lines 3 and 4 shake out.

Is Serpa back?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

I’d assume Langdon and Valade play on the wing and Petizian centres, he’s played well there.

Serpa is still out. I’d go Dickerson-Fishman-Stepien and play Rupoli in Dickerson’s spot on Sunday against a tougher Knights team

Mar 12, 2009
On the last away broadcast, the broadcasters mentioned that Langdon has the 6th best FaceOff Win % in the league. Just a note.

They also mentioned we have the fewest powerplays. I wonder if Dennis Wideman being on our staff is getting us worse treatment from the refs ;)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hawel-Damiani-Yantsis stay together, Valade playing with Pinelli and Meireles, Stepien-Petizian-McDonnell 3rd line, Langdon on the 4th line with Rupoli and Dickerson. Fishman and Motew out

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Anyone see what happened to Petizian? Started the game but he’s walking around the concourse now.

Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
What a boring 59 minutes of hockey
Felt no energy in the aud tonight

Hope I’m wrong, but this group doesn’t pass the (my) eye test right now. (Not that I know anything really)

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I expected the Rangers to try to use this game to “flex their muscles” and hang a one sided beating on the last place team in the league - and really we should have been able to if we’re as good a team as we’re supposed to be.

But the way we played, we were lucky to win at all and to be honest, Kingston deserved a better fate.

Farwell and Pope went on about the quarter poll and that because of injuries, etc, we still don’t know “who we are”. These two serial Ranger apologists pretty much refuse to state the obvious. Going on that it’s still early. No it isn’t. It isn’t too early to see the makeup of our roster. That was evident on opening night.

Bottom line is, we aren’t good enough to seriously contend. The blueprint of a contender is to have very good to high end OA’s, along with multiple high end or better 19 and 18 year olds.

We have better than high end OA’s. But our 18 and 19 year old groups are thin of the high end players needed to contend. We don’t have the assets to trade our way into contending. Our 2002 group isn’t able to replace our lack of high end 18 and 19 year olds. Sooner or later, I hope MM realizes this and does the right thing for the future of this team.

If there is a bright light in this game, I thought it was the play of the 4th line. They played pretty good when out there and had some good scoring chances in the first and took the body more than any other line tonight.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What a boring 59 minutes of hockey
Felt no energy in the aud tonight

Hope I’m wrong, but this group doesn’t pass the (my) eye test right now. (Not that I know anything really)

If there was any reason to abolish 3 on 3 hockey, it was on display at the Aud tonight. Seemed at least half the 5 minutes was spent by each team bringing the puck back into their own end and cycling until they changed lines. It happened over and over.

Seems coaching has infected yet another part of the game.

Reactions: rangersblues

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
If there was any reason to abolish 3 on 3 hockey, it was on display at the Aud tonight. Seemed at least half the 5 minutes was spent by each team bringing the puck back into their own end and cycling until they changed lines. It happened over and over.

Seems coaching has infected yet another part of the game.

I think Kingston was cycling because they knew that they would have the advantage in the shootout with Pfeil in net. Fortunately, Pfeil saved his best for OT and the shoot out.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Seriously, did that look like a well coached team? And Farwell and Pope went on giving kudos on how Mckee "fessed up" to making the mistake on the game sheet. Now, come on! And would having Petezian, Serpa and Ingham in the lineup made that much of a difference? I doubt it. And we sure are in trouble if Ingham does down for any real length of time.

This team needs to gel quick or we are selling at the deadline. I truly hope the coaching staff shows us what they are made of. Speaking of Petezian, any chance Kingston can protest the game and take the points away from us?

Reactions: Tim Wallach

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Rangers were lucky to win that one. Another momentum killing penalty during the 4 minute power play to end the opportunity to take control of the game.

We saw the effort in the Oshawa game, but it wasn't happening in this one. Not one shot on goal in OT.

A strong start and consistent effort is needed for this team to have any chance to succeed. We didn't get that last night and haven't had it often this year.

I believe the potential is there. I just want to see this team create an identity as one with a high compete level.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
So Kingston traps like crazy and Rangers coaching staff had to know this going into last night's tilt. Yet, I didn't see any attempt of note to counteract it. It was like beating your head against a wall over and over and over again. I know I'm in the vast minority on this but I did see more hussle this Friday than last but how long does it last when the frustration of the mighty trap stonewalls you? No excuses here. Absolutely not. But you throw different lines out there.....you miss putting Petzian on the game listing effectively dimishing the 3rd line....and you keep coming out each period with the same game plan despite the fact that it's not working. I don't get it.

I did notice that Sebrango was "allowed" to bring the puck in.....McDonnel works, works, works.......Pinelli had flashes but when you come back to a new line......Meireles had jump despite not being in perfect game shape yet....Pfeil did a better job than expected.....the team was more disciplined from a penalty standpoint.....and the PP looked better but still needs tweaking...how about giving Ottaveinen a chance on the point instead of Bergkvist?

Anyway, London took a thrashing last night so you can be sure that they will be "motivated" on Sunday. Will the Rangers? Will there be adjustments to the game plan or will it be the same old same old. Hunter will have a plan and his team will be ready...

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Speaking of Petizian, any chance Kingston can protest the game and take the points away from us?

No. The worst thing that could have happened would have been a disallowed goal if Petizian had been on the ice when it was scored and, even then, only for a goal scored immediately before the stoppage when it was discovered that he was ineligible (not on Scorer's sheet) and required to leave the game.

Hunter will have a plan and his team will be ready...

Anyone Yantsis even softly touches will surely take to the air before a brief, but effective, performance of writhing on the ice ;) We've been pretty porous most games and the book on Pfeil is an easy read which doesn't bode well while the Knights have been sputtering along at times too but can score in bunches. Surprisingly, it's a seed 7 vs 9 (or 10) game :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
when does Jay McKee say enough is enough with Yantsis on the PP. every man advantage they have ends up being a 4 on 4 turned to a penalty kill because he ALWAYS takes a penalty. Valade and McDonnell have both shown at even strength that they can cause havoc in front of the net and have it lead to some goals.

of course Jonny scores a ton from that spot, but all season he’s been hurting the PP more than helping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,550.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium