Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
in terms of coaching, look at the players that McKee has had drafted for him since his first year as head coach

2016 draft:
Giovanni Vallati
Riley Damiani
Merrick Rippon
Eric Guest
Lucas Pfeil

2 players drafted to the NHL as Kitchener Rangers. you could argue that Vallati could’ve been developed better and drafted higher considering he’s a first round pick. but you could also argue Riley Damiani was a steal. 1 never showed up. the other 2 have never or were never much

2017:
Grayson Ladd
Michael Vukojevic
Matt Gordon
Mike Petizian
Carter Tresoor
Graham Dickerson

yikes. Vukojevic drafted to the NHL but he hasn’t been given any opportunity to improve his offensive game. Ladd never seemed to be that good to me and is still meh in Windsor. Petizian is putting it together.

2018:
Reid Valade
Isaac Langdon
Donovan Sebrango
Declan McDonnell
Joseph Serpa

Langdon played the entire season on the 4th line with Arber Xhekaj and Graham Dickerson. Reid Valade looks like a borderline NHL pick at best. Sebrango has been amazing. but that’s about it

it’s not great
Even with the warts his game still has, Valade is coming along well imo and I'm not sure you could expect much more production considering he's been injured as well. Already more goals than he had all of last season and a point of the ppg mark. Langdon got some solid 3rd line time last year. He is the only one that isn't trending upwards, he seemed to be a bit different after a concussion (I think) last year . Serpa could be something, but I think he's more of a next year/year after player. Doesn't help that he's a rookie not getting anything resembling consistent linemates.

A lot of valid criticisms in this thread, but I also find there is a tendency to be overly negative. It's a bad time currently, we're supposed to be doing much better and the injury bug has hit hard and has soured the mood. I don't think we're as good as MM may think we are, but I also don't think (healthy) we're as bad as we sometimes think we are either. I don't think McKee is necessarily a bad coach, but I'm getting the sense that he doesn't handle adapting to lineup changes very well.

Ingam's presence and now his absence have really shown how glaring our lack of goaltending depth and development has been. That's the one thing I haven't seen mentioned at the moment, and for me is probably my biggest concern going forward. That's something I think MM needs to address as much as anything.

they also draft too many “maybe he’ll show up” Americans that never show up. the ones that do show up (Purcell, Van Compernolle for the past 2 years) don’t get signed, and then commit to NCAA schools.
It would bother me if we didn't have as many examples of NCAA committed guys decomitting to come here. Vukojevic, Sebgrango, Langdon, McDonnell all had commitments as well. I think we should maybe take a few less flyers, but I don't think that's much of an issue atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Even with the warts his game still has, Valade is coming along well imo and I'm not sure you could expect much more production considering he's been injured as well. Already more goals than he had all of last season and a point of the ppg mark. Langdon got some solid 3rd line time last year. He is the only one that isn't trending upwards, he seemed to be a bit different after a concussion (I think) last year . Serpa could be something, but I think he's more of a next year/year after player. Doesn't help that he's a rookie not getting anything resembling consistent linemates.

A lot of valid criticisms in this thread, but I also find there is a tendency to be overly negative. It's a bad time currently, we're supposed to be doing much better and the injury bug has hit hard and has soured the mood. I don't think we're as good as MM may think we are, but I also don't think (healthy) we're as bad as we sometimes think we are either. I don't think McKee is necessarily a bad coach, but I'm getting the sense that he doesn't handle adapting to lineup changes very well.

Ingam's presence and now his absence have really shown how glaring our lack of goaltending depth and development has been. That's the one thing I haven't seen mentioned at the moment, and for me is probably my biggest concern going forward. That's something I think MM needs to address as much as anything.

It would bother me if we didn't have as many examples of NCAA committed guys decomitting to come here. Vukojevic, Sebgrango, Langdon, McDonnell all had commitments as well. I think we should maybe take a few less flyers, but I don't think that's much of an issue atm.

I agree on Valade. In his 17-year-old season, Damiani had a shade over half a point a game over the course of the season. Today, though it’s early, Valade is a ahead of that pace being a shade under a point a game.

I think the problem in people questioning Valade, is that because we are thin as far as quality 19 and 18-year-old forwards go, many people are expecting him to fill that void for us to contend. That’s a little unfair at his age.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree on Valade. In his 17-year-old season, Damiani had a shade over half a point a game over the course of the season. Today, though it’s early, Valade is a ahead of that pace being a shade under a point a game.

I think the problem in people questioning Valade, is that because we are thin as far as quality 19 and 18-year-old forwards go, many people are expecting him to fill that void for us to contend. That’s a little unfair at his age.

Damiani busted out last year, his third in the league, by getting a full 50 points more in less games played than the year before. Maybe we should wait until next year and see how Valade pans out.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
MUCH better effort and compete level against Oshawa. The Rangers kept right up with the Generals for most of the game.

I can accept a loss like that where they gave it their all.

If they would have played like that against Guelph, they would have won.

Build on that in practice this week.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
MUCH better effort and compete level against Oshawa. The Rangers kept right up with the Generals for most of the game.

I can accept a loss like that where they gave it their all.

If they would have played like that against Guelph, they would have won.

Build on that in practice this week.
Yes Sheila the Rangers were step for step with Oshawa tonight. It shows if they skate and drive hard they can keep up with any team. Oshawa is a top squad.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
good game for Pfeil tonight. has been able to at least keep them in the 2 games which is all we can ask for. the Valade-Petizian-McDonnell line is fun to watch. so much speed.

Jonny Yantsis sat the 1st half of the 3rd period after his 8 penalty minutes. seemed pretty disengaged and more worried about MacLean until then.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
good game for Pfeil tonight. has been able to at least keep them in the 2 games which is all we can ask for. the Valade-Petizian-McDonnell line is fun to watch. so much speed.

Jonny Yantsis sat the 1st half of the 3rd period after his 8 penalty minutes. seemed pretty disengaged and more worried about MacLean until then.

Thought the same of Pfeil......only his 4th game this season. The Guelph loss is on the team not the goalie.

But the Oshawa game was much better for all especially considering the team that Oshawa has this year. Pfeil kept them in it. Good on him. And I liked the fact that Rangers didn't back down and actually showed desire to win. Even when Oshawa went up 3-1, seconds later Damiani scored to bring it to one again. Unfortunately, pulling the goalie for an extra man did not work out....and Noel Serron was on fire in that game.

And I don't care who the player is......take a dumb penalty....you sit out on the bench. I know that Yantsis is taking a lot of abuse but he must learn that that comes with the territory. Instead of taking retaliation penalties and/or getting sucked into a MacLean-like situation, walk away and work harder to score goals. That hurts the opposition. Taking penalties hurts your team.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I know that Yantsis is taking a lot of abuse but he must learn that that comes with the territory. Instead of taking retaliation penalties and/or getting sucked into a MacLean-like situation, walk away and work harder to score goals. That hurts the opposition. Taking penalties hurts your team.

AGREED!!! Suck it up, Johnny, and it will make you that much of a better player!

Mar 12, 2009
I like that Yantsis has been a bit more physical and gotten under opponents skin at times, but it seems like opponents get under his skin as much as he does theirs. He also seems to get really frustrated with the reffing, which I don't necessarily blame him for as other teams get away with taking liberties on him, but yapping at the refs only makes them more likely to "miss" those calls (as much as I'm sure refs will say they maintain objectivity/impartiality, it doesn't seem to bare out in reality).

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Yantsis is a top notch player who is very dangerous in the offensive zone. Any team in the league would jump at the chance to have him. He does appear to be developing a bit of a reputation for more than goal scoring. Would be best to tone that stuff down.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I think that this statement can be true of every loss we’ve had this year. Goaltending isn’t the issue. We’re just not scoring enough goals period.

The Rangers are a distant last in the conference in goals scored. 55 in 16 games.

Curious to know how many the PP scored last year in 16 games alone.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Curious to know how many the PP scored last year in 16 games alone.

In the first 16 games last year:

50 goals after 16 games.

Our record was 7-7-2-0.

14 PP goals over those 16 games. However, 8 came in just three games (3,3,2)

The Lipanov deal was made on October 4 when our record was 3-0. Post Lipanov deal, 4-7-2 over the next 13 games.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
In the first 16 games last year:

50 goals after 16 games.

Our record was 7-7-2-0.

14 PP goals over those 16 games. However, 8 came in just three games (3,3,2)

The Lipanov deal was made on October 4 when our record was 3-0. Post Lipanov deal, 4-7-2 over the next 13 games.

As I recall, our PP really took off in the 2nd half?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Central Scouting released their November list. Sebrango moved from C to B. Ottavainen still a C. Valade and McDonnell still not worth watching

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Central Scouting released their November list. Sebrango moved from C to B. Ottavainen still a C. Valade and McDonnell still not worth watching

Not ready to call Valade a first round bust any time soon, but as a first round pick in this league, one would assume he’d be at least on their radar as a “C” prospect.

Best thing is, there’s a lot of hockey to be played between now and the draft.

Mar 12, 2009
Not ready to call Valade a first round bust any time soon, but as a first round pick in this league, one would assume he’d be at least on their radar as a “C” prospect.

Best thing is, there’s a lot of hockey to be played between now and the draft.
NHL central scouting doesn't mean that much from what I understand. It's good to get a summary glance at players to check out early on, but NHL teams don't take it's rankings very seriously from what I've read. They've also had some bizarre rankings, I just remember on their final list they had Jeff Skinner ranked 33rd for North American skaters.

Valade has had a solid season too start imo, not too worried about him.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not sure when their final rankings come out, but Skinner’s rise to the top half of the 1st round was a result of the post season injury to Micheal Catenacci which resulted in Skinner having to assume Catenacci’s defensive duties, primarily on the PK, as well as his own offensive duties.

NHL scouts learned that Skinner was much more than an offensive player. His 200 foot game was top shelf hence his rise up in the drafts

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
with Pinelli back and Meireles potentially returning Friday against Kingston, the forwards (minus Serpa) are fully healthy. point being, we will see one of the normal top 9 guys go down to the 4th line for the 2nd time this season. the first time, it was Isaac Langdon who to be fair, was in his 1st game back from his injury. the way things have been going, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be him on the 4th line

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Not sure when their final rankings come out, but Skinner’s rise to the top half of the 1st round was a result of the post season injury to Micheal Catenacci which resulted in Skinner having to assume Catenacci’s defensive duties, primarily on the PK, as well as his own offensive duties.

NHL scouts learned that Skinner was much more than an offensive player. His 200 foot game was top shelf hence his rise up in the drafts
Frankly I thought Skinner had some good moments (after all he did score 50) but I always thought he had a lot more than he consistently showed in the regular season. I was proven correct by his playoff performance, which was way beyond expectations.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
with Pinelli back and Meireles potentially returning Friday against Kingston, the forwards (minus Serpa) are fully healthy. point being, we will see one of the normal top 9 guys go down to the 4th line for the 2nd time this season. the first time, it was Isaac Langdon who to be fair, was in his 1st game back from his injury. the way things have been going, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be him on the 4th line

For me, I’d be putting Langdon in a situation where he'd have a better chance to succeed. Burying him on the 4th line would be counterproductive in my eyes.

No doubt they return to the Hawel-Damiani-MacDonnell line. They’ll likely put Pinelli back with Meireles-Yantsis, though I’d experiment with someone else up there besides Pinelli. I’d try Petizian there and have Pinelli center Langdon-Valade. But I’m not expecting that to happen.

So, to put Langdon in a better position to succeed, I’d like to see him on the third line centering Petizian-Valade.

Better to do that than to put him with inferior line mates on the 4th line. I drop Stepien down there with Dickerson-Fishman.

Rupoli likely a scratch.

Good game to go into with a nearly healthy lineup for the first time in a while. Let’s see about dominating the Fronts as a warm up to the big test on Sunday in London.

Pfiel has been ok and goaltending hasn’t been an issue. However, with no back to backs for a short time, I think we need to run with Ingham to try and put us in the best position to get some wins in the board.

Mar 12, 2009
I think Langdon is pretty solid defensively when he's on his game, I'd like to see him get some more PK time to boost his minutes and gain experience in multiple situations.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think Langdon is pretty solid defensively when he's on his game, I'd like to see him get some more PK time to boost his minutes and gain experience in multiple situations.

He had 5-10-15 points in 58 games last year. Be nice to see that double by seasons end. I pointed out on here earlier that Damiani had 30+ points in his 17 year old year only to explode last year.

The same could be possible for most our ‘02 group going forward (Langdon, MacDonnell, Valade).

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad