Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
In the immortal words of Stan Butler the kid can be bitter or can get better! Josh Ho Sang seems to have moved on from a number of HC snubs and an idiotic gaffe at NYI training camp, let's see if young Mr. Bracco can do the same....

But unlike Ho Sang, I've yet to encounter any "character" knocks on Bracco. Not sure why the comparison. Is it just because both are talented players who apparently were snubbed from the World Juniors?
Snubbed for different reasons, no?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
But unlike Ho Sang, I've yet to encounter any "character" knocks on Bracco. Not sure why the comparison. Is it just because both are talented players who apparently were snubbed from the World Juniors?

At any high level of sports even a star player will always have more failures than success.
It's all how that player turn those failures into success.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
In the immortal words of Stan Butler the kid can be bitter or can get better! Josh Ho Sang seems to have moved on from a number of HC snubs and an idiotic gaffe at NYI training camp, let's see if young Mr. Bracco can do the same....

Please don't put Bracco and Ho Sang in the same sentence. Bracco is all smiles enjoys passing not hogging the puck and doesn't live on a pedestal. Although Tim makes some good points on Bracco I disagree with him on some. He is a deceptive skater like Skinner. Not many players can turn their blades out like these two can. As far as grinding it out players his size have to play a smarter game to keep themselves from being crushed. He did break Kane's record in the States. I think he would get far more points if the players on his line where more skilled and could play at a higher level. MacInnis is good but not great. Robinson was moved back last game and Kohn moved up to the top line. Kohn is a grinder. Has to work hard for points but neither is on the level of Bracco in my opinion.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011

The comparison to Ho Sang is because Bracco is like Ho Sang an uber-talented offensive player who just got what many perceive as a snub by his respective National team....full stop.

That is why the comparison, JHS came to mind first given he plays in the OHL and I've watched the kid play since he was 9.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I know we currently have three overagers on our roster but I wonder if we can improve in that area. Sure we just picked up Liberati and I think he's been a great addition but considering the demotion of Robinson off the top line and the fact that the top line did quite well without him, am I out of line wondering if we can swap him out for an overager who can provide more production? Robinson is currently scoring at last year's pace points wise but when you think about it his production should have gone up this year considering all the primetime on our top line. Especially once Jeremy Bracco came to town. In fact I believe Robinson's production has gone down since the addition of Jeremy Bracco. Is there an overage are out there who can bring more to the table than Robinson does now? Can we move Robinson to an Eastern conference contender for good return and then take those assets plus a little more and get a better overage forward? I'm just throwing this out there.

Also, how hurt is Brian Brosnan? It's apparently concussion issues. Those things are a major wildcard. Is there a timeline on his return? Or is this a situation where we have no idea when he comes back? If that's the case, are the Rangers going to be forced to replace him? I'm just wondering because there doesn't seem to be any indication that he's going to be back anytime soon. We are a contender this year and I don't want to waste an overage slot on a player whose health may be in question going forward. Of course if he returns 100% healthy before deadline then that's cool too.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
ES - I thought I heard that they are keeping Brian Brosnan out until after the Christmas break.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I have been of the opinion Robinson is not 100%. If you saw his tussle he seemed to protect one arm. Some players come back from injury and play a more cautious game as opposed to wreckless abandon. He could possibly play this way until the end of the season.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
It might be 3rd is better than 1st or 4th. Having said that come play off time everyone is dangerous.

I said this exact thing a few weeks back in erie thread. Got chewed out for the idea
"No 1st seed is always the best!!!! You want home ice throughout no matter what"
But this year it's pretty evident that London is going all in, and Kitchener the same. Erie doesn't really have the assets to make huge moves but regardless they will be a tough out. Sarnia seems to be making some all in type moves but even with the move for Mistele I still think they are 2/3 moves away from becoming a chamionship threat. Windsor to me is to young and last time Erie played them they just dominated in every phase- but the goalies for Erie lost that one for the team. Combine that with a memorial cup bid for 2017 and it's clear that Windsor won't be going all in this year.
However Sarnia or Windsor will land that 2nd seed due to the division winner

2nd round will likely be
1st vs 4th
2nd vs 3rd

I would rather face Sarnia and Windsor in the first 2 rounds and then face winner of London/Kit series vs facing a bottom tier team then facing Kitchener/London in second round then facing Kitchener/London in 3rd round.

Just seems like potentially Erie/Kit/London will be the best top 3 teams in a conference in a long time. Windsor and Sarnia are both not the easiest outs but as it sits now they aren't near the top

You take 1st seed first but as a fan I won't be upset if 3rd seed is where the team finishes.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Chewed out, or someone suggested otherwise and you took offense :)
You also had Windsor locked into that seed and made your decision based on a game or two against them. I told ya Sarnia would have something to say, and really think they will ( but I've been wrong before, and will be again)
I think Sarnia is going to add, and maybe big. They'll look a lot different come Jan if they do.
We'll know better in Feb where the most favourable position to land is.
Maybe third does work out best. Always a chance. But I'd prefer the road fro. 1st.
As of now there's 3 teams I like but won't be surprised if there's a fourth come POs. But then again we are talking the hardly ever win a rd Sting. So maybe I'm off base :)
I think all of Kit/Erie/London add pieces.

Last edited:

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Chewed out, or someone suggested otherwise and you took offense :)
You also had Windsor locked into that seed and made your decision based on a game or two against them. I told ya Sarnia would have something to say, and really think they will ( but I've been wrong before, and will be again)
I think Sarnia is going to add, and maybe big. They'll look a lot different come Jan if they do.
We'll know better in Feb where the most favourable position to land is.
Maybe third does work out best. Always a chance. But I'd prefer the road fro. 1st.
As of now there's 3 teams I like but won't be surprised if there's a fourth come POs. But then again we are talking the hardly ever win a rd Sting. So maybe I'm off base :)
I think all of Kit/Erie/London add pieces.

I'll go with chewed out ;)
As for Windsor/Sarnia.. Doesn't make much of a difference to me now. I still think both teams are 2/3 pieces away just from competing with the top teams now... Before any trades. Sarnia needs a big name scorer to change my mind and now with the memorial cup bid for Windsor I doubt they make any huge moves. I was unaware they would bid on that so I assumed they would be making a few moves. .. Wasn't based off when Erie played them because when that happened erie looked a lot better.. More based on how Windsor did look (not overly impressive) but the assumption they might make a few moves and be solid not great thus I wouldn't mind playing them..but nowhere near the go for it all buy everything attitude of likely kit/Lon

Regardless this is a strong sellers market. Players will be expensive to get. We know London and Kitchener will make moves, one has to assume Niagara isn't done, have to think Sarnia makes more moves or why get Mistele, and I would imagine that Kingston adds something else. Who knows with Erie based off the assets but they will likely do a wait and see approach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reading Brown's blog he suggest the Rangers should maybe go the cheaper route and maybe pick up a winger for the top line that won't cost the likes of a Dal Colle. His theory is the Rangers should not trade their skilled prospects like Bunnaman or Meireles to keep the team stronger next season. Hiebert has to do his due diligence this season. It's too easy to take a big step in the wrong guy direction.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reading Brown's blog he suggest the Rangers should maybe go the cheaper route and maybe pick up a winger for the top line that won't cost the likes of a Dal Colle. His theory is the Rangers should not trade their skilled prospects like Bunnaman or Meireles to keep the team stronger next season. Hiebert has to do his due diligence this season. It's too easy to take a big step in the wrong guy direction.

I'm all for trying to improve without giving up Bunnaman and/or Meireles. As we get closer to the deadline, a few of those eastern teams will eventually decide to sell. Perhaps we get a point a game winger off one of those teams. A second tier guy so to speak. We need a gunner on that top line. MacInnis is good but Bracco needs a second option out there. Robinson looked to be that guy early on but hasn't put up the goals lately. I'd hope he regains that scoring touch. Perhaps we reunite that line tonight vs a weak opponent in an effort to get him going.

Depending on what Ottawa does, a Dante Salituro would be a cheaper option than Konecny. I like his game, is a proven scorer and though small, brings an edge. And even though he's listed as a RWer, he was pretty good on the draw.

In his trade deadline preview, Brock has us giving up Bunnaman and 4 second round picks in a deal for Del Colle. I'm not a fan of that.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I don't like the idea of us picking up a winger for the first line that is not top calibre. We already have a team full of players of the next level. If all we're doing is adding a player similar to what we already have, why bother? Also, it's just as important getting a player like Dal Colle making sure he doesn't land in London or Erie.

Sleeperpick

Sep 16, 2014

Its no so much as what we do but what others do to get stronger. if London goes all out and gets Dal Colle and Wood or others, can we stand pat with a cheaper guy and still be competitive against them??? Same goes with Erie. I do not think you can look at two different years and try to have the best of both worlds. Either you run with the big boys this year or try next if that is your though process as a GM

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
According to Josh Brown's twitter feed Robinson is out until after Christmas. Will this team ever ice a full line up?

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
I'm all for trying to improve without giving up Bunnaman and/or Meireles. As we get closer to the deadline, a few of those eastern teams will eventually decide to sell. Perhaps we get a point a game winger off one of those teams. A second tier guy so to speak. We need a gunner on that top line. MacInnis is good but Bracco needs a second option out there. Robinson looked to be that guy early on but hasn't put up the goals lately. I'd hope he regains that scoring touch. Perhaps we reunite that line tonight vs a weak opponent in an effort to get him going.

Depending on what Ottawa does, a Dante Salituro would be a cheaper option than Konecny. I like his game, is a proven scorer and though small, brings an edge. And even though he's listed as a RWer, he was pretty good on the draw.

In his trade deadline preview, Brock has us giving up Bunnaman and 4 second round picks in a deal for Del Colle. I'm not a fan of that.

I'd agree, 4 2nds AND Bunnaman is definitely too much. Maybe 2 2nds and 1 3rd.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Its no so much as what we do but what others do to get stronger. if London goes all out and gets Dal Colle and Wood or others, can we stand pat with a cheaper guy and still be competitive against them??? Same goes with Erie. I do not think you can look at two different years and try to have the best of both worlds. Either you run with the big boys this year or try next if that is your though process as a GM

bingo if your going for you go all in,if not the other bigs boys will pass you. I Was glad the Generals did what they did last season as we won the Memorial Cup,and if they didn't make all those trades giving up a lot of assets the Gens would not win the Memorial Cup and more than likely not the OHL either.yeah we are paying for it now and maybe even next season.but we won the cup and that's what matters:handclap:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm starting to wonder. That's the one big plus about the depth the Rangers have - an injury or two doesn't decimate the team. But it sure would be nice to see a full healthy lineup.

I agree our depth is valuable. It's with that in mind that I believe we shouldn't look to deal depth forwards like Magyar. Sure he's on the 4th line now, but who knows when we'll need guys like him to play more important roles between now and the end of a long playoff run?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I sounds as though MVR enjoys watching Garreffa as much as we do. Post game, he was asked what the plan was for defense when Sergeev is gone to the WJC, and assuming Brosnan isn't ready to go. He laughed and said he'd just throw Garreffa back there because he's fun to watch.

The last half of last night's game consisted mostly of "let's get Garreffa a goal". When that kid finally gets one, the place is going to go up and the entire team will be thrilled.

I think Bunnaman is pretty happy that Kitchener plays Guelph so often. I'm not sure he's played a game vs Guelph where he didn't score.

PS - 10,190 bears hit the ice - FANTASTIC!!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What do the Rangers do with the goaltending once Opilka is gone. Does Heibert make a move to bring in a goalie as we only have our back up at the moment? Also with Robinson having issues with his shoulder do they have to be proactive and look at bringing in another OA. Serious shoulder problems can linger and effect the way a player plays and can weaken a line especially the top line. Just thinking ahead with Erie and London being right there. There are issues to deal with going forward.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What do the Rangers do with the goaltending once Opilka is gone. Does Heibert make a move to bring in a goalie as we only have our back up at the moment? Also with Robinson having issues with his shoulder do they have to be proactive and look at bringing in another OA. Serious shoulder problems can linger and effect the way a player plays and can weaken a line especially the top line. Just thinking ahead with Erie and London being right there. There are issues to deal with going forward.

I heard talk around the Aud last night that Robinson hurt his hand in the fight Friday night. But who knows, it may very well have been the shoulder. In any case, I agree that we may have to look at another OA. Not only because of the Robinson injury but the Brosnan one as well. Concussions are wild cards and could also linger. The last thing we need is to be down an OA or two long term. Who knows? Depending on the health of these guys, we could pick up an OA of some quality on the cheap the closer we get to the deadline.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I heard talk around the Aud last night that Robinson hurt his hand in the fight Friday night. But who knows, it may very well have been the shoulder. In any case, I agree that we may have to look at another OA. Not only because of the Robinson injury but the Brosnan one as well. Concussions are wild cards and could also linger. The last thing we need is to be down an OA or two long term. Who knows? Depending on the health of these guys, we could pick up an OA of some quality on the cheap the closer we get to the deadline.
Isn't the cut down to 3 OA's the day prior to the trade deadline?
If so, then maybe wait to see who you can get for nothing?
Or at least offer a low pick to a team that needs to cut down to 3 OA's a few days prior?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

I think he has no choice but to find another goaltender, at least on an interim basis. Richardson has played well, but it's not fair to him to expect that he'll make every start while Opilka is away. The division is way too tight to take a chance on goaltending, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad