Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
The Rangers didn't decide that was it, Allen and his family did. Why? Nobody's saying. But I'm of the belief that as far as the Rangers were concerned, Allen was a part of their plans this year and therefore, they wouldn't have signed him to the 10 game affiliate card. He and Hall were in the same boat this year - two second year players who played on affiliate cards last year.
My bad. Didn't know the situation. Just looked like a guy that was demoted to junior. Apologies. Well then maybe he does count but Richardson is doubtful

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My bad. Didn't know the situation. Just looked like a guy that was demoted to junior. Apologies. Well then maybe he does count but Richardson is doubtful

No worries. It's disappointing because I saw a good future for him here. If he is on the move, someone will be getting a solid player.

I suspect his issue was playing time. He played semi regularly but when Hall's suspension was over, Allen was either a scratch or inserted into the lineup as a forward. I guess that didn't sit well with he and his family - especially in his draft year.

Part of me says that I can't say that I blame him but on the other hand, had he stuck around a couple more weeks, he'd be getting lots of minutes on D with all our injuries.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Sean Allen reportedly 'on the move'. Good for him.

Read that as well on Browns Blog. Good for him and the Rangers. For whatever reasons things don't work out I always like seeing a kid move on for his chance at development. Would imagine the deal will be draft pick(s) unless he is a part of a bigger deal.

I would also like to see the rights to Lafontaine moved as well this trade deadline as I don't see him coming to Kitchener at all.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
The Rangers didn't decide that was it, Allen and his family did. Why? Nobody's saying. But I'm of the belief that as far as the Rangers were concerned, Allen was a part of their plans this year and therefore, they wouldn't have signed him to the 10 game affiliate card. He and Hall were in the same boat this year - two second year players who played on affiliate cards last year.

Earlier this season when the Rangers had too many defensemen, there was discussion on who would be sent down and I seem to remember Hiebert say Allen and/or Hall would be sent down as they had options, I took that to mean they were on Junior B cards.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
An interesting post from Josh Brown's blog:

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Because I can't be the only one who is confused.

The OHL world junior trade deadline is on now until the tournament ends Jan. 5th. So no players at the worlds can be moved - or at least those deals can't be announced - until then.

The OHL Christmas trade freeze for all players runs Dec. 19-27.

The overage deadline - date which you have to declare your three OAs - is Jan. 8th at noon.

And, finally, the trade deadline is Jan. 11th at noon.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Read that as well on Browns Blog. Good for him and the Rangers. For whatever reasons things don't work out I always like seeing a kid move on for his chance at development. Would imagine the deal will be draft pick(s) unless he is a part of a bigger deal.

I would also like to see the rights to Lafontaine moved as well this trade deadline as I don't see him coming to Kitchener at all.

Opilka will be the undisputed starter again next year. By 2017-18 I'd assume we'll have Opilka's replacement (likely Richardson) ready to step in.

But I don't see us getting anything for Lafontaine outside of a conditional late round pick that turns into much more should he report to this league.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Opilka will be the undisputed starter again next year. By 2017-18 I'd assume we'll have Opilka's replacement (likely Richardson) ready to step in.

But I don't see us getting anything for Lafontaine outside of a conditional late round pick that turns into much more should he report to this league.

Long shot I know but I prefer getting something if possible. The longer it goes, the less likely he will play in the O. But if I had to wager, I would say that ship has sailed already.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Long shot I know but I prefer getting something if possible. The longer it goes, the less likely he will play in the O. But if I had to wager, I would say that ship has sailed already.

^ Don't disagree but......

1) Lafontaine did want to sign with the Rangers as a 16 yr old if they would ensure him a large number of starts.
2) He says he wishes now to go the NCAA route but isn't even playing in the USHL but the lower NAHL.
3) He may take a look at the USA starting goalies in the WJHC and all 3 are from OHL.

Trade him for a low pick with some sort of conditionals attached if he signs.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

1) Lafontaine did want to sign with the Rangers as a 16 yr old if they would ensure him a large number of starts.
2) He says he wishes now to go the NCAA route but isn't even playing in the USHL but the lower NAHL.
3) He may take a look at the USA starting goalies in the WJHC and all 3 are from OHL.

I wonder how he'll feel going to a NCAA school and not having similar demands met? I suppose he can pick a school who has no real goaltending prospects.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener

So you are or are not thinking the window is still open??

From what I saw he was lighting up the NAHL and there was a nice spread about him in THN recently as an up and comer. To me, now is the time to move him if you are going to while he still has options (or the appearance of options is still there).

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
I wonder how he'll feel going to a NCAA school and not having similar demands met? I suppose he can pick a school who has no real goaltending prospects.
He could go where Oplika was set to play! I recall reading that they were caught high and dry in the tender market when Luke pulled the plug.
How come we pay 3 seconds for a guy who won't report to Barrie and the best we can hope for from Lafontaine is table scraps?

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
He could go where Oplika was set to play! I recall reading that they were caught high and dry in the tender market when Luke pulled the plug.
How come we pay 3 seconds for a guy who won't report to Barrie and the best we can hope for from Lafontaine is table scraps?

Different positions and situations. Tortora was a 1st round selection that chose not to report to Barrie. Fontaine is a 3rd round pick that wanted to come here but we wouldn't promise playing time.

And we haven't paid the three 2nds yet either.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe that's all he made himself worth as far as the OHL goes.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So you are or are not thinking the window is still open??

From what I saw he was lighting up the NAHL and there was a nice spread about him in THN recently as an up and comer. To me, now is the time to move him if you are going to while he still has options (or the appearance of options is still there).

Until he turns 20 there's always a chance especially after he gets drafted by a NHL team (see Oplika).

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Different positions and situations. Tortora was a 1st round selection that chose not to report to Barrie. Fontaine is a 3rd round pick that wanted to come here but we wouldn't promise playing time.

And we haven't paid the three 2nds yet either.
Then let's dump him for some conditional picks. Never know what might drop out of the sky and into our inventory!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

What Benched Guy said and lets see if he gets traded what Hiebert can get in return. Also bear in mind that goalies don't usually fetch as much as 17 yr olds....I would
imagine that something like a 4th round pick would be doing well anything else would be gravy.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
All I have to say is Murray better get somethi decent for Allen. That's a '98 born 2nd rounder with big upside. Just because he left doesn't mean we get a weak price.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
All I have to say is Murray better get somethi decent for Allen. That's a '98 born 2nd rounder with big upside. Just because he left doesn't mean we get a weak price.

I wouldn't worry too much. Murray has done a wonderful job evaluating talent (strong drafts past 2 seasons) and getting players to report. I was not convinced he had a plan before this season. He has my complete trust now. As does the coaching staff.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
My only problem is that I feel Allen as well as Hall have been mismanaged assets.

IMHO, I think they didnt see as much playing time as they should have because Hiebert and Smith were on expiring contracts, and if they werent putting up wins, they weren't coming back. We saw Hiebert extended, but not Smith.

Wouldnt surprise me in the least if part of the personnel decisions were made for selfish reasons instead of the future of some of the younger players, instead electing to go the trade route, or ride the older guys.

At the time of the Paterson trade, I was all for it. Give up a bit, get to the playoffs and steal a round or two perhaps, get some experience.

Looking back now, I still feel the paterson trade was necesary, but wish they had instead elected for a youth movement on the back end, and to a lesser extent, up front.

Now, we have several 2nd year players on the team with not many more then 10-15 games experience, who are again playing a 4th line or 4th pairing role, when they were drafted as promising prospects.

I like most of what Hiebert has done, I just think he should have cleared the way a little better for some of these guys with the likes of Soo, Erie, London and Guelph being significantly better then us last season.

Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

Mar 12, 2009
My only problem is that I feel Allen as well as Hall have been mismanaged assets.

IMHO, I think they didnt see as much playing time as they should have because Hiebert and Smith were on expiring contracts, and if they werent putting up wins, they weren't coming back. We saw Hiebert extended, but not Smith.

Wouldnt surprise me in the least if part of the personnel decisions were made for selfish reasons instead of the future of some of the younger players, instead electing to go the trade route, or ride the older guys.

At the time of the Paterson trade, I was all for it. Give up a bit, get to the playoffs and steal a round or two perhaps, get some experience.

Looking back now, I still feel the paterson trade was necesary, but wish they had instead elected for a youth movement on the back end, and to a lesser extent, up front.

Now, we have several 2nd year players on the team with not many more then 10-15 games experience, who are again playing a 4th line or 4th pairing role, when they were drafted as promising prospects.

I like most of what Hiebert has done, I just think he should have cleared the way a little better for some of these guys with the likes of Soo, Erie, London and Guelph being significantly better then us last season.

Hindsight is 20/20 after all.
I don't know, I'm not sure Hall or Allen were ready for full time OHL minutes last year. Getting quality minutes in junior B was probably better for development than the bottom pairing role they would have had at best last season, and likely would have rotated in and out of the lineup if they were both with the Rangers. Also not sure limited minutes under Smith's coaching would have resulted significant improvements in either player.

Who are the "several" players that fit that criteria (2nd year eligibile, under 15 games experience prior to this season, playing 4th line/pairing)? By my count, it's just those two D.

Brad Palmer

Sep 21, 2012
Am I the only Ranger fans that thinks Hall and Allen just aren't that good? Everyone talks about the premium on tough defensemen, but that's on guys that can move the puck as well, and can play top 4 minutes. The Rangers are a skilled team that play a possession game, and those two don't seem to fit that mold. If we can get a 4th rounder for either, I'll take it as a win.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
I don't know, I'm not sure Hall or Allen were ready for full time OHL minutes last year. Getting quality minutes in junior B was probably better for development than the bottom pairing role they would have had at best last season, and likely would have rotated in and out of the lineup if they were both with the Rangers. Also not sure limited minutes under Smith's coaching would have resulted significant improvements in either player.

Who are the "several" players that fit that criteria (2nd year eligibile, under 15 games experience prior to this season, playing 4th line/pairing)? By my count, it's just those two D.
We will never know if Allen and Hall were OHL ready, but i think they would have been better than Blaisdell if they got the experience he has been given. Playing time breeds both experience and confidence, and that might just be what they need to be puck movers. Did Ryan MacInnis suddenly get better over the summer? He is another year older and has the confidence to try things we didn't see him do in the previous two seasons.
It's a tough job for management to look at these kids when they are 16 and decide who gets a shot and who plays Jr. B for a year. They have certainly got it right with Roberts this year.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Am I the only Ranger fans that thinks Hall and Allen just aren't that good? Everyone talks about the premium on tough defensemen, but that's on guys that can move the puck as well, and can play top 4 minutes. The Rangers are a skilled team that play a possession game, and those two don't seem to fit that mold. If we can get a 4th rounder for either, I'll take it as a win.

No one mentioned trading Hall. Most seem to think he has played fine. Allen was not satisfied with his lot in life as a Ranger and is being moved as soon as the paper work is cleared up. Being a tough defenseman does not always mean a kid that fights. If you look at Erie they have Dmen that play a chippy style in their own end and can clear the front of the net. When the trade talk comes up these are the type of Dmen team looks to pick up. Dmen take longer to develop. Di Perna is an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad