Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Am I the only Ranger fans that thinks Hall and Allen just aren't that good? Everyone talks about the premium on tough defensemen, but that's on guys that can move the puck as well, and can play top 4 minutes. The Rangers are a skilled team that play a possession game, and those two don't seem to fit that mold. If we can get a 4th rounder for either, I'll take it as a win.

I'd say that both Hall and Allen are easily comparable to where Hora was at the same age. Hora Didn't play top 4 minutes as a rookie 17 year old and these guys shouldn't be expected to either. Just because they aren't wowing the fan base as Roberts is doesn't mean they aren't good OHL prospects. Every team needs a mix of highly skilled d-men and solid stay at home guys who are hard to play against.

I'm of the opinion that a 4th rounder for either is a loss. That being said, Allen's value may have dropped a tad due to him sitting at home but I wouldn't just give him away.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Am I the only Ranger fans that thinks Hall and Allen just aren't that good? Everyone talks about the premium on tough defensemen, but that's on guys that can move the puck as well, and can play top 4 minutes. The Rangers are a skilled team that play a possession game, and those two don't seem to fit that mold. If we can get a 4th rounder for either, I'll take it as a win.

Allen wasn't going to make or break the team's chance at a championship this year, but who knows 2-3 years from now when he's a vet in the league that's gotten even bigger and has become a better puck-handler. I think he knows he's good enough to play in the O now and that's why he didn't settle being the odd man out here. In 2018 or '19, he could've turned out to be a cornerstone on the blueline for a long run (if that's the position we're in) or a trade for younger guys/draft picks if we're rebuilding. Just bad timing I think between him and the Rangers. Roberts probably wouldn't be on the ice every night if they made room for Allen, which I don't think any coach, manager, or fan would be for.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Allen remains a solid prospect but has minimal apparent development since drafted to really gauge his current upside well. Coaches have to play who they think is best … right or wrong … and they alone assess their roster with the goal of winning games. Last year Allen & Hall were not ready to be contributors and the team was in tough to both sell off and still make a showing in the playoffs. This year, injuries aside, they both probably scratch most nights given the strong play of others around them. Di Perna & Blaisdell had strong starts and have improved this year, the current top 4 are surely a lock when healthy, Roberts is already standing out and has monster upside, which leaves one spot a possibility some nights … with the team playing extremely well and Allen/Hall essentially being equivalent players, one/both sit.

The best career move is seldom to quit and go home but that happened and I respect the young man who made a bold and risky call. Had he stayed, he would have likely played full time with all the injuries and perhaps had a roster opportunity vs DiPerna/Blaisdell if he stepped up very strongly.

I suspect Allen is worth a third round pick somewhere though he might still have to sell a team on his commitment for us to achieve that value. If he’s headed East as part of the return for a big fish, his value might be higher to a young, rebuilding team and it would benefit him greatly to get a full time opportunity for the balance of the season and beyond. I wish him well.

Murray has been a much shrewder seller than buyer IMO so I’m hopeful. If we get no play or notable value for the first 2 picks of the 2014 3rd round (Allen/Lafontaine), given both guys wanted to play here when drafted, then MH drops a grade (B-).

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's official. Allen traded to Osh for a 3rd and a 10th. I can live without th that return.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
A 3rd rounder d-man traded for a 3rd round pick and 10th rounder.
That 3rd rounder belonging to the Soo should be relatively high in the 3rd round.
Yeah ok.....that's about right.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Fair value for the Rangers and a good opportunity for Sean.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It's official. Allen traded to Osh for a 3rd and a 10th. I can live without th that return.

I think we got good value considering the situation. Oshawa is getting a player who will turn out to be a real good shutdown dman once he gets the opportunity to play. Unfortunate about the crowded situation in Kitchener. Good luck in Oshawa .

Brad Palmer

Sep 21, 2012
Great return for Allen.

To clarify my earlier post, I'm not underwhelmed by their production, or minutes, or current impact. I'm underwhelmed by their skill set. I don't think either can develop into a Hora or DiPerna type of player. Maybe they can get up to Blaisdell's level but I don't see much more out of them. Maybe I'm wrong...in Hall's case I hope so.

the dog

May 16, 2014
An interesting post from Josh Brown's blog:

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Because I can't be the only one who is confused.

The OHL world junior trade deadline is on now until the tournament ends Jan. 5th. So no players at the worlds can be moved - or at least those deals can't be announced - until then.

The OHL Christmas trade freeze for all players runs Dec. 19-27.

The overage deadline - date which you have to declare your three OAs - is Jan. 8th at noon.

And, finally, the trade deadline is Jan. 11th at noon.
can first round picks be traded on dec 28 to jan 11?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
As Brown says we get a third back which is the round Allen was drafted in plus a tenth rnd pick.
Even though it was a fair return, I'm disappointed that something couldn't be worked out to keep Allen here in Kitchener.
Almost as soon as he left the team he could've received plenty of icetime with injuries to Brosnan and Hall. Oh well, I suspect he'll
be turn into a very solid 3 defenceman for the Gennies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So tonight we will for the first time on home ice see our back-up to our back-up start a game.
Maybe sometime time in the next cpl weeks we may see the Rangers back-up (Devine) to their back-up (Richardson) to the back-up goalie (Carty) start a game!

:laugh:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
So tonight we will for the first time on home ice see our back-up to our back-up start a game.
Maybe sometime time in the next cpl weeks we may see the Rangers back-up (Devine) to their back-up (Richardson) to the back-up goalie (Carty) start a game!

:laugh:

That is funnier than a hunch back in a limbo contest:laugh:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Owen Sound has a backup announcer on the radio. Some guy named Don Cameron.

Wish I could have listened. Between Don and Fred, there must be thousands and thousands of stories!

As for the game, it looked as though Bracco really wanted to make USA Hockey look stupid. Mission accomplished. All 4 lines were buzzing, and the defense played well (a few mistakes for the 16 year old forward back there, but Roberts has enough to speed to help bail him out.)

I thought Richardson played really well - he was in position most of the time, and is one of the calmest 16 year olds I've seen in net in ages.

7 wins in a row and they gain no ground. Tough, tough division.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Wish I could have listened. Between Don and Fred, there must be thousands and thousands of stories!

Don was in fine form, altho a few times he caught himself in the excitement of calling all those Rangers goals!!

7 losses in a row for the Attack, and they continue to plummet out of a playoff spot. Tough, tough division.

The Attack gearing up for the future, trading 19 year old Meyer for 17 year old Bourque yesterday.

Maybe a few more vets on the move.....

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
(a few mistakes for the 16 year old forward back there, but Roberts has enough to speed to help bail him out.)

You mean the Garreffa turnover at the Attack blue in which the Attack had a 3 on none break away with Roberts a cpl strides behind, but he still caught up and stripped the puckcarrier of the puck?
If so, I saw that play develop and thought to myself...no problem Roberst is going to catch up with ease! :nod:
You mean the fact that the Rangers, Knights and Otters has a combined 10 losses while the next best team for losses has a total of 9? Yeah, tough division....
but I got my popcorn out! :popcorn:

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
You mean the Garreffa turnover at the Attack blue in which the Attack had a 3 on none break away with Roberts a cpl strides behind, but he still caught up and stripped the puckcarrier of the puck?
If so, I saw that play develop and thought to myself...no problem Roberst is going to catch up with ease! :nod:

You mean the fact that the Rangers, Knights and Otters has a combined 10 losses while the next best team for losses has a total of 9? Yeah, tough division....
but I got my popcorn out! :popcorn:

You can even * 4 of the losses, as they have come against each other, somebody has to lose, take away the head to heads and it's a combined 6 losses, that is ridiculous at this point in the year, what a show they're putting on!

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

That's the one! Roberts is going to be so much fun to watch.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
That's the one! Roberts is going to be so much fun to watch.

Maybe it's just me but I find it amusing watching two 16 yr olds d-partners with heights of 5'-6" and 5'-8" and respective weights of 157 and 158 lbs more than holding their own. :laugh:
That's with Garreffa actually being a forward playing back on an emergency fill-in now for about 10 games.
Having said that I really want to see Garreffa getting bigger(pun not intended) minutes up front!

I really can't say enough about what a great job the MVR, Tkachuk and McKee has done.....oh yeah and the forgotten Kain Tisi the goalie coach!
Crow is very tasty but can't get much dressing inside for the festive season. :cry:

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
I don't know, I'm not sure Hall or Allen were ready for full time OHL minutes last year. Getting quality minutes in junior B was probably better for development than the bottom pairing role they would have had at best last season, and likely would have rotated in and out of the lineup if they were both with the Rangers. Also not sure limited minutes under Smith's coaching would have resulted significant improvements in either player.

Who are the "several" players that fit that criteria (2nd year eligibile, under 15 games experience prior to this season, playing 4th line/pairing)? By my count, it's just those two D.

15 games is obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but the point remains.

Allen and Hall didnt see much time, Cascagnette, Bzowey as well. Not to suggest these guys turn into world beaters, but serviceable players with a bit of experience for either trade for to step up when injuries occur.

Could also say Davies to an extent. The guy was never given the opportunity to play higher then spot duty on the third line.

Forget about lines and pairing numbers - last season Smith rode his top 4 d, and his top 2 lines into the ice hoping to win more games. There were close games last year where the 3rd and 4th line, would see maybe 1 or 2 shifts in the 3rd, 5th and 6th d-men would go out one every 10 minutes.

You're right, they may have developed better in Junior B, then on the depths of the Rangers line-up, but in a season where the only ending point is a first round loss, I don't see the value in riding the top lines and pairings, and not only not letting these guys into the line up at all in alot of cases, but when they are, only giving them 5 minutes.

It's total assets mismanagement. A team needs to recognize when it can't and wont be successful in terms of a playoff run, and start giving that valuable OHL time to guys who are supposed to factor into next season.

You give them a shot, they either prove to you they can play, thus alleviating the need to go and get two O/A d-men, or free up the ability to trade an equal, but slightly older player. For example, I don't see anymore out of Blaisdell then I do/did out of Allen and Hall, yet Allen who is the younger, longer servicable player didnt see much time, and left the team to seek a trade.

What I'm seeing this year, is the team is rolling its 4 lines, and 3 pairings. Thats how you develop the young guys who arent slotted high in the line up.

That was my main point - young guys not getting the time, even if their game totals are higher than 15 games - seeing the ice a few times a period in a desperate hope to keep ones job and make the playoffs.

Why not trade Iafrate last year or Maaskant to get these guys more of a chance, and really evaluate what you have?

Some are saying they didnt see the upside in these guys, but how can you, when they get into the line up once every couple weeks, and play for 6 minutes?

The end of the season result wouldnt have changed. The guy who brought the team to the post season was Paterson. That was a crucial pick up to do so.

It all comes back to one thing for me. A Coach and a GM trying to get extended - we all know in Kitchener, that wouldnt have happened if they didnt at least get to the post season and make a push in round 1. No we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year assets only now seeing true time, a former first rounder dealt because he was buried on the depth chart, and a promising 3rd rounder dealt for the same reasons.

Just my two cents, I dont expect everyone to agree.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Maybe it's just me but I find it amusing watching two 16 yr olds d-partners with heights of 5'-6" and 5'-8" and respective weights of 157 and 158 lbs more than holding their own. :laugh:
That's with Garreffa actually being a forward playing back on an emergency fill-in now for about 10 games.
Having said that I really want to see Garreffa getting bigger(pun not intended) minutes up front!

I really can't say enough about what a great job the MVR, Tkachuk and McKee has done.....oh yeah and the forgotten Kain Tisi the goalie coach!
Crow is very tasty but can't get much dressing inside for the festive season. :cry:

I agree. And don't forget to give Hiebert credit for sticking by his guns and assembling this coaching staff and team. He had little support (including me) but persevered. I'm sure he will be second guessed no matter if he goes all in this year or waits for next. For the record, I'm for going for it this year. But I'm ok with whatever Murray decides. He's earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad