Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to mentally separate people who are Russian from the Russian govt or its actions.

It gets easier the further away from Russia you live. To their neighbors (which some in the comments are from) the difference is not much for obvious reasons.

Trans-Siberian line is the obvious choice, and nobody would hate it except some confused conservatives :D

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
First glance at the Jackets' CapFriendly page. Didn't realize they had so many talented young players hitting RFA.

Seems like with the right coaching staff (and with the seemingly diminished nature of some of the other teams in their division) they could seriously challenge sooner than expected.

What does Marchenko's next deal look like?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
First glance at the Jackets' CapFriendly page. Didn't realize they had so many talented young players hitting RFA.

Seems like with the right coaching staff (and with the seemingly diminished nature of some of the other teams in their division) they could seriously challenge sooner than expected.

People here seem to have different thoughts on the deals for RFAs. Ideally I’d like to see the promising ones get more than a bridge deal, but I think bridge deals are the way to go with KJ, Chinakov, and Sillinger. Marchenko - clearly a top 6 winger - is the one guy I want to lock up for a 5 year deal though I’m not sure what AAV that’d be.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
People here seem to have different thoughts on the deals for RFAs. Ideally I’d like to see the promising ones get more than a bridge deal, but I think bridge deals are the way to go with KJ, Chinakov, and Sillinger. Marchenko - clearly a top 6 winger - is the one guy I want to lock up for a 5 year deal though I’m not sure what AAV that’d be.

Intriguing one to me is Nylander. Where do you see that one going?

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

4x4-4.5M is my guess for Marchenko

Intriguing one to me is Nylander. Where do you see that one going?

He’ll most likely get a league minimum prove it deal

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
It's a one year prove it deal. No way he gets more than that after one 23 game end of season heater. Can't see him getting more than $1.25M.

Sounds about right.

But the thought that $1.25m is a "minimum" is amusing in the real world.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm one of the proponents of bridging them all but if I had to go longer on one it would be Marchenko. I'd go higher $ to keep him rfa next time around. 3x4mm/

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So Marchenko has filed for arbitration.

Do you think it will go there?

If it does does the club chose a one or two year deal?

Do you think it will get that far?

What do think is necessary to avoid arb?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it'll be close to the contract that Sharangovich signed for in Calgary 5x5.75

Sharangovich's deal was all UFA seasons and he's coming off a more consistent 59 pt season, something Marchenko hasn't come close to yet, so I think it would be a million or so less than that.

And I'd be fine with $4.75m x 5 with Marchenko. We don't have a single long term contract for a young player.

Reactions: Jovavic

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So Marchenko has filed for arbitration.

Do you think it will go there?

If it does does the club chose a one or two year deal?

Do you think it will get that far?

What do think is necessary to avoid arb?
Waddell seemed pretty confident that he’d get a deal done with the RFAs before arbitration. I think that’ll be full speed ahead after a coach is named.

I think the team will try to go 2-3 years. He may try for 4-5.

I would say 2 years 3.5 first year, 4.5 second year. AAV 4 million.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure that I recently read that the CBJ have never gone to arbitration with a player. If true, then it's probable that they won't with KM. I'd guess a Chinakov type of deal (2 years/$2 million and change) is the most likely outcome. I'd think Waddell would be leery of signing any of the younger players longer term while the team has cost control and prior to seeing how they perform regularly and with a competent coaching staff.

I understand why parties want to avoid arbitration but if it happens it's not that big a deal. It should be understood that the club is going to try to make any player look like a disposable 4th line plug and the player's representatives are going to make him look like a McDavid-in-waiting. It's just a business exercise-it's not personal.

On a completely unrelated item, Does anyone else's brain read "Kill" Marchenko when they read his name quickly?:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad