Collapse of Regional Sports Networks (Diamond Sports Group files bankruptcy, Warner-Discovery looking to leave business, Xfinity drops Bally)

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Dallas - Bally's officially part ways.

The Stars began working with A Parent Media Co. Inc. (APMC) to develop their new app. On Monday, the team announced a seven-year agreement with APMC, which had also partnered with Dude Perfect, a sports and comedy group headquartered in Frisco, to create a similar platform that it replicated for the Stars.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Wow. So Stars games only available on that app from what I am gathering. Not even available on any kind of TV station (aside from the national TNT, ESPN and ABC games).
I have to think that they're working on providing local TV coverage. I don't know if this is a Stars thing, or if they have to broker an agreement with a local TV station, or what has to happen.

Then again, I'm also pretty sure most folks aren't using old school TVs anymore, so if this new streaming option provides apps that work with Smart TVs, Amazon Fire sticks, and other similar options, the overwhelming majority of folks won't be affected.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Wow. So Stars games only available on that app from what I am gathering. Not even available on any kind of TV station (aside from the national TNT, ESPN and ABC games).
I'm a Stars fan and don't care anything about it being on a TV station since I don't have cable or watch anything live other than sports. I have no words for how excited and happy I am about this. It's been almost impossible to watch regular season games for the last several years without a lot of hassle since Bally isn't available on much in Texas and I wasn't going to pay them $20/month for their app.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Are these new deals less money, than old deals
Could affect how much cap rises
My guess would be that they are considerably less but I also wouldn't be surprised if they involved an advertising split between the team and the broadcaster. For example, the team and the broadcaster each get 50% (or some other split) of the ad sales.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I have it on very good authority that many small to mid-market teams will be moving to A-Parent Media starting in 2025-26 after Bally’s hands back the rights to the NHL. Somehow they are coming up with a lot of money to get close to what Bally’s has been paying most of these teams.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sorry. I was referring to the US and the reports of Amazon buying part of Ballys and making it available via Prime video
Ya that’s why added the Canada part.
I don’t think anything confirmed, yet for US

Last edited:
Reactions: Lt Dan

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA

Attachments

• IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm a Stars fan and don't care anything about it being on a TV station since I don't have cable or watch anything live other than sports. I have no words for how excited and happy I am about this. It's been almost impossible to watch regular season games for the last several years without a lot of hassle since Bally isn't available on much in Texas and I wasn't going to pay them $20/month for their app.

Ok, there are plenty of people out there that prefer the traditional tv format.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Ok, there are plenty of people out there that prefer the traditional tv format.
Ya don't say? That's how it's been though and a huge chunk of people couldn't watch because of permanent disputes with Bally and cable/satellite/streaming providers.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ya don't say? That's how it's been though and a huge chunk of people couldn't watch because of permanent disputes with Bally and cable/satellite/streaming providers.

Ok? I'm just merely commenting on the fact that you had to bring up you were a Stars fan. Not everyone is in the same boat as you are with the free option. And with this free option, I don't believe it's going to be available on local TV(Spectrum, whatever service you might have) as far as everything I've read. So isn't that the same issue as Bally's not being available on cable/satellite, regardless of if you have to pay for it or it's free(the streaming option)?

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
I have it on very good authority that many small to mid-market teams will be moving to A-Parent Media starting in 2025-26 after Bally’s hands back the rights to the NHL. Somehow they are coming up with a lot of money to get close to what Bally’s has been paying most of these teams.
Calgary based company owned by private equity. They probably have some people tossing money at them.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Ok? I'm just merely commenting on the fact that you had to bring up you were a Stars fan. Not everyone is in the same boat as you are with the free option. And with this free option, I don't believe it's going to be available on local TV(Spectrum, whatever service you might have) as far as everything I've read. So isn't that the same issue as Bally's not being available on cable/satellite, regardless of if you have to pay for it or it's free(the streaming option)?

I think they may end up with a local TV affiliate deal or one with stations around the state. That said, streaming IS TV also. Cable, OTA, streaming... All different types of TV program delivery.

No it's not the same at all because before for many there was NO legal way to watch in the Stars territory outside of preposterous $20/month for a Bally app that sometimes didn't work. Now there is a way for everyone that has internet to watch in Stars territory, and it's free. You don't need to pay for an app, you don't need to pay for cable.

Reactions: SirJW

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I think they may end up with a local TV affiliate deal or one with stations around the state. That said, streaming IS TV also. Cable, OTA, streaming... All different types of TV program delivery.

No it's not the same at all because before for many there was NO legal way to watch in the Stars territory outside of preposterous $20/month for a Bally app that sometimes didn't work. Now there is a way for everyone that has internet to watch in Stars territory, and it's free. You don't need to pay for an app, you don't need to pay for cable.

There are plenty of people that don't have the ability to stream, or simply don't know how to.

And no, it is the same thing. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it wasn't an option before. You HAD the option to pay for the Bally app, you just chose not to. That's a personal decision, and doesn't deny the fact that you did have the same access to Stars games. They were available, you just didn't want to pay for it. Same can be said for MLB games on Apple TV, or NFL games on Peacock, or Netflix, or Amazon Prime. The availability is there, it's just a difference of how it's being delivered.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
There are plenty of people that don't have the ability to stream, or simply don't know how to.

And no, it is the same thing. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it wasn't an option before. You HAD the option to pay for the Bally app, you just chose not to. That's a personal decision, and doesn't deny the fact that you did have the same access to Stars games. They were available, you just didn't want to pay for it. Same can be said for MLB games on Apple TV, or NFL games on Peacock, or Netflix, or Amazon Prime. The availability is there, it's just a difference of how it's being delivered.
Id much rather take streaming versus cable. It still works out much cheaper plus you get a lot of other content. I can cancel and join when ever i want easily without needing additional equipment.

Last edited:

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

I didn't have access for years until the app was actually made available without a cable subscription (and it wasn't on cable anyway so wouldn't have worked back then). And yes I could have subbed to the app after that and did for a bit, but it was terrible and the price was exorbitant in the extreme. The biggest reason I wasn't willing is that often the streams didn't work (nothing to do with consumer's bandwidth, it wouldn't work period), and they don't give you a refund on anything. All that said there are probably a lot more people who don't have cable/have it but don't have Bally then don't stream. Garbage service, garbage channel that was fine permanently being off cable and satellite due to carriage disputes.

Bottom line is something 100% legally free is amazing. There's always going to be a platform that people prefer over the other whether cable, streaming, whatever. But free streaming is the best way to make it easiest and most available for most people. The only good argument I hear to have it on cable is for people who like to quickly switch between games, which is obviously harder when streaming especially on different apps. I'd be happy with that, but irrelevant for the Stars games since a huge chunk of people didn't have access to it on cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dj4aces

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Id much rather take streaming versus cable. It still works out much cheaper plus you get a lot of other content. I can cancel and join when ever i want easily without needing additional equipment.
Won’t be much cheaper for long, when you need to subscribe to 5 different services to get all the games.
You can also cancel cable whenever you feel like it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I just cut the cord and went to directv stream. Wonder how ridiculous it will cost after the 3 month promotion period.

Fubu are thieves they are the only other one with NESN but charge an extra $15/mo regional sports fee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad