Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Well I guess let's throw the internet of CBJ fans into a frenzy because we don't know what his opinion of "worthy" is.

Hasn't it been pretty clear up to this point he has said he wants a longer term and DW was doing his due dligence to make sure he was ok with that since he doesn't know the player yet?

He's had time to take him to Jeff Ruby's at least once.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well I guess let's throw the internet of CBJ fans into a frenzy because we don't know what his opinion of "worthy" is.

Hasn't it been pretty clear up to this point he has said he wants a longer term and DW was doing his due dligence to make sure he was ok with that since he doesn't know the player yet?
Or definition. Especially given the need for translation.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

All fair, but I imagine with him saying that, it's all but guaranteed he's taking it all the way to arbitration. They have a week to figure it out..

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Why can't we just work out contracts with good players without all the drama?

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think this is probably done or at least is at the top of the priority list if we had a coach in place already. But id rather Waddell take his time and make the right hire. Even if this goes to arbitration I don't think it's going to end up being that big of deal.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He's had time to take him to Jeff Ruby's at least once.
I don't think Jeff Ruby's has a location in Russia.

We, the people, make the drama and allow social and print media to create it.

I don't see this as anything at all. The conjecture people associate with it is what creates the drama.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

On His 2023-24 Season​

Reflecting on his performance, Marchenko was brutally honest: "I had mixed feelings about last season because there were some successful periods when I thought I was the best player in the league, but at the same time, there were periods when I couldn't score in 20 games in a row, and there was no consistency. I can't say the season was successful for me, but I also can't call it a failure."

On Coach Pascal Vincent​

Marchenko's comments about head coach Pascal Vincent were particularly revealing: "My experience with Pascal Vincent is mixed, I'd say. Sometimes I was scratched, and that wasn't something I was happy about. No player would be." However, he also offered praise: "But overall, Vincent has his vision and goals and seems to be doing well. He loves hockey and is passionate about his job. He's proactive and has a desire to improve. That's what makes him a good leader."

Addressing the much-talked-about Russian line in Columbus, Marchenko said, "As for the Russian trio, the guys and I were asked to put it together. We had a chance, and it turned out great, but we still didn't spend as much time together as we would have preferred."

Off-Season Training​

Marchenko detailed his off-season routine: "I have been practicing for a long time. I practice individually in Moscow with a coach who creates an individual plan for me. I started practicing on the ice in June, and today, we will see how well-prepared I am. I had two weeks off and then started going to the gym. Overall, it's a simple training program; for me, it's more like a vacation."

As Kirill Marchenko approaches a critical juncture in his NHL career, his outspoken comments have set the stage for what promises to be an intriguing offseason in Columbus. With contract negotiations ongoing and his frank assessment of team dynamics, all eyes will be on how this situation unfolds in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh and LJ7

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think arbitration is that big of a deal as long as the Jackets don't use it as a tool to hammer Marchenko and piss him off for all eternity.. My guess is arbitrator's decision would be a compromise in $ and the Jackets can then pick the length of either one or two years.

Reactions: LJ7

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't think arbitration is that big of a deal as long as the Jackets don't use it as a tool to hammer Marchenko and piss him off for all eternity.. My guess is arbitrator's decision would be a compromise in $ and the Jackets can then pick the length of either one or two years.
I'm not sure arbitration works to the advantage of a team very often. It always seems to be the most player friendly route. But arbitration won't offer a long term deal that Marchenko is looking for. it is in everyone's benefit to resolve it before then and I'm sure it will be.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not sure arbitration works to the advantage of a team very often. It always seems to be the most player friendly route. But arbitration won't offer a long term deal that Marchenko is looking for. it is in everyone's benefit to resolve it before then and I'm sure it will be.
Either way, it's gonna be a busy week for Waddell and Co.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
“He's going to be a Blue Jacket,” Waddell said. “He filed for arbitration, which is a player’s choice. We just haven’t found a common goal yet. If we can’t before next week, it goes to a third party. ... So, one way or another, he’s going to have a contract by next week. We’re hoping to get it done before that, but if not, we’ll go to arbitration and let the arbitrator settle it.”Waddell has signed quite a few deals with Milstein in his previous role as general manager of the Carolina Hurricanes and said their discussions on Marchenko have been good. If they can’t agree, Marchenko will still get a contract through arbitration next week.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Marchenko is a 24 year old winger who has been a 20 goals scorer on a very bad hockey team. It's really hard to determine upside on this guy. He may have topped out already. Who knows.

Signing him long term (or any other younger player) would be a fools errand at this point, The CBJ long term contract situation is already rife with poor long term big money contracts. Waddell is using proper risk management given the overall payroll structure of the team and its poor performance.

This is not a roster to which one wants to get married.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
As with anything, it depends on term and price. I do think it would be helpful for CBJ to not have all of these RFAs with deals that expire at the same time the next cycle, so having some variation in length of contracts makes sense. I wouldn't make them all 2 years. I also wouldn't be signing anyone to long term (i.e. 6-8 year) deals. But if the price is right, an intermediate term of 3-5 years is ok by me. I think it is highly unlikely that Marchenko has already peaked (at age 24 and with only 2 years in N. America).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad