Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You just said that calling Dach a perimeter player is “nonsense” then proceeded to say you know more than most fans. You clearly are implying something here. This is who is. He’s a slightly better Lars Eller

I know much more than you...that is clearly evident and after this will no longer need to ever see one of your posts again.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
It could take Dach a while to get up to speed and in gear to be productive and effective. Overall, his play hasn't been particularly inspiring. If we can't get a 2nd line going after 20 games, we're almost certainly looking at a year in the tank.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not there yet, I'm fine with giving him the development runway with our prospects before it's time to flip the focus. I have 0 interest in any qualified francophone coach, they'll all bring the Therrien puck in.

It's something that almost exclusively requires experience and repetitions. He hasn't had a long runway of consistently taking draws, night after night, to improve. It will get better, he may never be a plus 50% guy but if he can hover in the high 40s, it's negligible.
Long term future Kirby I would put at wing. He played his best hockey couple years back with Suzuki and Caufield. Canadiens going to be deep at center

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
You just said that calling Dach a perimeter player is “nonsense” then proceeded to say you know more than most fans. You clearly are implying something here. This is who is. He’s a slightly better Lars Eller
Eller always had tunnel-vision, and wasn’t really suited for top-6 duties. Your comparison makes no sense at all.

How about you chill out and wait until more games are played before coming to a conclusion on Dach?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Long term future Kirby I would put at wing. He played his best hockey couple years back with Suzuki and Caufield. Canadiens going to be deep at center

Nah, his best stretch was when he went off that line and centered his own line.

He is completely rusty and playing on a line with 0 chemistry; drawing conclusions while the whole team looks like shit on individual players, especially Dach, is folly.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

He is completely rusty and playing on a line with 0 chemistry; drawing conclusions while the whole team looks like shit on individual players, especially Dach, is folly.
To be fair, he looked good playing RW as well.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He will be fine. He just needs time and keep staying healthy. Timing and confidence will be back. And it's not like we have better options at center for the 2nd line. Maybe make Newhook takes reps and faceoffs but other than that...

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

I don’t think a professional hockey player should struggle at making 10 foot passes, period.. Guy looks slurry, slow and disinterested.

Move him on Suzuki’s wing, his emotions won’t take the hit of a demotion and he’ll free the 2nd line for a real center.

Also if the guy’s prime learning years were compromised c’est la vie, can’t force it.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
He will be fine. He just needs time and keep staying healthy. Timing and confidence will be back. And it's not like we have better options at center for the 2nd line. Maybe make Newhook takes reps and faceoffs but other than that...
I wouldn't count Kapanen out of the equation to be 2C later on in the season. I don't think Dach has an entire season to figure it out, but he still has a good chunk of time.

With Dach, this is just a gut feeling, but I don't think he will be happy on the wing. If he ends up not being our long-term solution at C, I think he should be traded. I think he will figure it out at C, though, but there is a good chance he doesn't or someone overtakes him (Kap/Hage).

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I wouldn't count Kapanen out of the equation to be 2C later on in the season. I don't think Dach has an entire season to figure it out, but he still has a good chunk of time.

With Dach, this is just a gut feeling, but I don't think he will be happy on the wing. If he ends up not being our long-term solution at C, I think he should be traded. I think he will figure it out at C, though, but there is a good chance he doesn't or someone overtakes him (Kap/Hage).
Yeah i guess it's not completely out of the question Kapanen is getting tryouts at 2C if Dach keeps struggling for a bunch of time but i don't think he has what it take to produce that kind of offense to be honest.

Reactions: Goalfield13

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Yeah i guess it's not completely out of the question Kapanen is getting tryouts at 2C if Dach keeps struggling for a bunch of time but i don't think he has what it take to produce that kind of offense to be honest.
I have never really been impressed with Dach's offensive game, really.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Eller always had tunnel-vision, and wasn’t really suited for top-6 duties. Your comparison makes no sense at all.

Not true, Eller had a decent assists to points ratio prior to the Habs' and after the Habs. His so-called tunnel vision on the Habs was in fact an adaptation to playing with guys who couldn't shoot the puck, like Rene Bourque.

Honestly I think Dach may be given most of the season to figure things out if he needs it, he's a major piece of the team's future.

Reactions: zeeto

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
…he's a major piece of the team's future.
He is who he is… Which is not much right now. I feel we've been projecting the whole team’s youth as something more than it really is. I would not get attached to anyone at this point or pencil anyone in as a piece of the future. Potential means nothing on the ice unfortunately, and injuries have this guy trending down fast.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Not true, Eller had a decent assists to points ratio prior to the Habs' and after the Habs. His so-called tunnel vision on the Habs was in fact an adaptation to playing with guys who couldn't shoot the puck, like Rene Bourque.
He never developed into a top-6 player, in part due to his lack of offensive creativity, and his vision was very questionable. You can blame Therrien for mismanaging Eller, which is fair, but the point was that Eller’s vision was never the main selling points of his game, and that he cannot be compared to Dach.

He was a speedy, puck-possession player. To act like he was a great passer and/or that his vision wasn’t lacking is disingenuous.

Assist to point ratio is also a horrible statistic to make your point. Most players in the NHL have more assists than goals. It’s a corollary of the league giving secondary assists.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad