Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks.

Some people think that players are some kind of machines. Recovering to 100% after they are welded back together. They are human and unless one has gone through the experience, it may be hard to understand.

All you can do with Dach is to play him and encourage him. He will get better and better until the knee is no longer in his concious.

For the record, last spring, I also thought that those knees are fixed and off we go, but then my accident happen and I can see how what I felt/feel is not much different. To top it off, no 220 pound defenseman is trying to rearrange parts of my body, or i slamming into one, something that Dach is getting or doing every game.

Let's just hope that time heels him and we get back the Dach of early last season.
Injuries play on each person differently. Look at Carey Price in his final seasons. He’s looked uninspired during most of the regular seasons and when the playoffs came, it looked like he was a different person. I think a lot of that was the mentality he had when it came to maintaining his injuries in the regular season vs the playoffs. It looked like mentally whatever was holding him back threw the regular season disappeared when there was something to play for. I think it’s going to be a tough journey for Dach. He’s young and he already has a laundry list of injuries. And I’m sure he knows at this point that his career could be a short one if that trend continues. That has to be on his mind when he’s playing. Hopefully he can figure it out because if he hits his potential, he can help turn this rebuild around quick. He’s not as bad as he’s played the last month.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I had a weird, totally out of the blue accident early summer that resulted in a head injury, some brain bleeding and it temporarily affected my balance.

It's taken care and gone.Everything is healed....BUT

Scan is showing nothing, multiple scans actually, I still have a small persistent feeling of balance issue. It doesn’t actually happen, but i FEAR that it may. I NEVER had balance issues or fear of them in my entire life. EVER. I can't even remember ever falling other then playing hockey decades ago.

Brain surgeon chalked it up to my brain being psychologically defensive on its own. The feeling is better now the several weeks ago. It will disappear completely in time as the brain "forgets" the incident.

It's as simple as this, a physical trauma can induce psychological trauma.

Dach had serious knee injury and even though it's healed, he may want to do something physically but he has this fear buried deep inside his brain pulling him just a bit back. He is likely not aware of it as it's happening.

Dachs knees may be fine. Maybe perfect physycally, but not his mind.

Give him time.

EDIT....this is what my helmet looked like after my accident. I can't blame my brain for a bit of survival fear...nor Dachs brain for him being tentative to go into full bore contact.

Give him time...i don't know how long, but that trauma "should" wear off.
Glad to hear you ae doing much better these days....
Something similar here on my end............got hurt years ago, back injury, 2 bulging discs, and one herniated.....L3 L4 bulging, l5 herniated. Hurt at work, but recovered ok and with meds physio and massage therapy etc was able to continue my career.

Once retired, it was constantly flaring up, so I went for epidural injections, big mistake for me, 92% success rate, I fell into the 8% fail unfortunately, Put me in the hospital for 5 days, couldn't do anything, recovery was 3 months at home. Brutal................
Anyhow now dealing with issues surrounding my Central Nervous System is always on high alert because of my previous trauma. Each and every day is a challenge with this back pain, and the surgeon says he can't operate because he does not like my odds of it helping. So meds for chronic pain, and here we are....................

Anyhow on to Dach..............similar to your issue and mine moving forward, his brain function along with his central nervous system, may have also been affected and this can make your recovery and moving forward tougher than expected.

All that said, the kid is an athlete in top shape, and I think will be fine in another month or so, but boy he does not look right out there........and MSL must have been pissed with the OT penalty because he did not let him participate in the SO where he can be money.

Reactions: HabsAddict

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just look at Caufield who didn't miss as much time as Dach who needed a year to get his strength and shot back.

It's going to take time for Dach. But Marty is doing him 0 favors by being unwilling to change a line that isn't working because all 3 players are struggling.

Marty needs to show a bit more urgency in getting his players going and if they expect to raise the floor then he needs to raise his intensity and shorten his leash on things.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Dach is the least of my worries. I find he skates well for someone with such an injury, and it just needs to click back. I don't understand why Heinemann is not playing on that line. It would help more than Armia. Seems to remember there was a guy in Carolina(?) that came back last season with the same injury and he was struggling too.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Just look at Caufield who didn't miss as much time as Dach who needed a year to get his strength and shot back.

It's going to take time for Dach. But Marty is doing him 0 favors by being unwilling to change a line that isn't working because all 3 players are struggling.

Marty needs to show a bit more urgency in getting his players going and if they expect to raise the floor then he needs to raise his intensity and shorten his leash on things.

Marty just need to go. I barely see any improvement in any team play aspect.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
One can only wonder what might have been for Dach given his performance through training camp last year and in the first periods of the season prior to his injury. Would he be our first-line center, displacing Suzuki as he seemed to have done already in that admittedly limited span? I fear that his development has been, like the player, forever hobbled.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
He will get his pace back at some point, he was a beast for us before his injury. Still, one thing worries me, improving on the faceoff dot. Can he do it? That will be the key thing going forward, but in the end, he was a great winger for us to and we have help coming, so he will be a fixture in the top 6 no matter what, no worries at all.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Marty just need to go. I barely see any improvement in any team play aspect.

I'm not there yet, I'm fine with giving him the development runway with our prospects before it's time to flip the focus. I have 0 interest in any qualified francophone coach, they'll all bring the Therrien puck in.

He will get his pace back at some point, he was a beast for us before his injury. Still, one thing worries me, improving on the faceoff dot. Can he do it? That will be the key thing going forward, but in the end, he was a great winger for us to and we have help coming, so he will be a fixture in the top 6 no matter what, no worries at all.

It's something that almost exclusively requires experience and repetitions. He hasn't had a long runway of consistently taking draws, night after night, to improve. It will get better, he may never be a plus 50% guy but if he can hover in the high 40s, it's negligible.

74 others

Jul 3, 2015
Montreal
Dach has now the worst +/- stat in the league*. His biggest flaw, outside of the faceoff dot, is the complete absence of killer instinct in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have that in him. Even in the WHL, he wasn't a big point producer. All things considered, I think the probabilty of Hage becoming our second line center going forward is higher.

*Playing with two plugs doesn't help.

Reactions: Theodore450

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dach has now the worst +/- stat in the league*. His biggest flaw, outside of the faceoff dot, is the complete absence of killer instinct in the offensive zone. He just doesn't have that in him. Even in the WHL, he wasn't a big point producer. All things considered, I think the probabilty of Hage becoming our second line center going forward is higher.

He was a terrific center before getting hurt. He’s always been weak on faceoff but that’s due to lack of reps. He needs time.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

He is NOT playing with 2 plugs. Just one plug - Armia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad