Player Discussion Kirby Dach: Welcome to Montreal part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don’t think anyone is crapping all over Suzuki. He is a great player, yes he probably has some small injury right now. But even when healthy, you would prefer him to be your #2 center, which is totally fine. We need a dominant #1 offensive center, Suzuki would do his thing just fine on a 2nd line, way better than he is now.

Not saying Dach should be #1 now, because they roughly gets the same playing time and it doesn’t really matter who’s #1 or #2 anyway, the only difference is Dach has to play with Hoffman and Anderson lol. But if Dach can become a #1 great, and also great if the #1 is a kid we draft this summer.
If we had MacKinnon, wouldn't you also prefer him to be your #2 center? So I'm not sure that line of reasoning means anything.

Suzuki has shown in the playoffs he can go toe to toe with the leagues top #1 centers and come out looking good. He's proven to be a #1, but some people just can't resist choosing the mystery box because it could be anything.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If we had MacKinnon, wouldn't you also prefer him to be your #2 center? So I'm not sure that line of reasoning means anything.

Suzuki has shown in the playoffs he can go toe to toe with the leagues top #1 centers and come out looking good. He's proven to be a #1, but some people just can't resist choosing the mystery box because it could be anything.

agreed

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I think you can win with Suzuki, Dach and Beck down the middle *

* if they reach what I believe their potential is.

But it will matter who is on their wings.. vs. getting someone like Bedard where you can throw a Kunitz or Dupuis on their wing and not give a shit.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Don't need to label a #1? Aren't you tired of being a losing team without a defined number one center? We're losers, have been for almost 30 years.

Who's telling you to chose one or the other? The eye test shows that Dach is already superior to Suzuki.
Nope - in fact I’d be fine w being able to roll four #2 lines. That could even be dynasty worthy…

Cup winning teams are built on good depth not just a superstar or two with mediocre players around them

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
In Suzuki's case i think it's just really hard to be in the upper echelon while being a low speed guy that relies on vision and patience. Only Jason Robertson and an aging Crosby can pull that off, I'm not sure there's much runway left in terms of Suzuki's ceiling (which is not a knock, he's my favorite player on this team)

Dach could really hit that next gear with the way he uses his physicality and pulls pucks around the ice. He's fast, tenacious, crafty. He actually reminds me of a value brand Tage Thompson, I wouldn't call either of them physical players but they use their size + hands so well. Trajectory is another thing to keep in mind, Chicago Dach and our Dach aren't even comparable players, the old Dach would do everything possible to avoid contact and was very passive.

Unlocking that size started a domino effect in his game imo, I watch him play and see a very high ceiling player.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
In Suzuki's case i think it's just really hard to be in the upper echelon while being a low speed guy that relies on vision and patience. Only Jason Robertson and an aging Crosby can pull that off, I'm not sure there's much runway left in terms of Suzuki's ceiling (which is not a knock, he's my favorite player on this team)

Dach could really hit that next gear with the way he uses his physicality and pulls pucks around the ice. He's fast, tenacious, crafty. He actually reminds me of a value brand Tage Thompson, I wouldn't call either of them physical players but they use their size + hands so well. Trajectory is another thing to keep in mind, Chicago Dach and our Dach aren't even comparable players, the old Dach would do everything possible to avoid contact and was very passive.

Unlocking that size started a domino effect in his game imo, I watch him play and see a very high ceiling player.
It's NHL experience and growing into his body i think, he knows what to expect now.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Romanov tops out as a defensive #4 dman in my opinion. We already have a bunch of 2way dmen that can replace him or have even more potential. It just hurt that the Hawks used that pick on one of my favorites in Nazar, but we only traded Romanov to get Dach. Even if Dach tops out as a 40 point center, I'd take that over Romanov any day of the week and Dach has the potential to do more.
It was a brilliant move. Hughes took a surplus of LD and used it to fill the void at center. Masterclass in GMsmanship.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why?

You don’t think we need a better center in front of Suzuki?

It’s not a shot on Nick, i think he could be similar to Hischier with another center like Hughes.
How quick we forget how amazing Suzuki is at his best is all I'm saying bud

It's too easy to say Dach is going to be a better 1C than Suzuki is right now with one on a lil heater and the latter playing injured/getting top lines & top D thrown at him every single night, every shift + he's clearly not trying 100%

But ill say this too, in a perfect world of course you'd like one of the what, 5-6? generational C's that are in this league to be 1C and Suzuki on their wing or be 2C for sure
But thats not gonna happen and we can't insinuate that we would take all 32 first line C's in the NHL ahead of Nick, again, just because he's a little banged up right now and we're not that great a squad overall
Nick is a fine 1C right now and when we're a better team in these coming years, Suzuki is gonna look that much better, AND so will Dach

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Bingo.

And to finally have a leadership team that gets it is so amazing...

Can't wait to see what other young players in that kind of scenario we target.

Puljujarvi... Comtois... Someone like that comes to mind
Poolparty isn't gonna work, he can't even produce playing with McD and Drai, it's time to face the fact that he is a bust. Maybe in a few years he can pull a Nichushkin
Nope - in fact I’d be fine w being able to roll four #2 lines. That could even be dynasty worthy…

Cup winning teams are built on good depth not just a superstar or two with mediocre players around them
Four #2 lines? That's a fantasy and the math doesn't work.

Cup winning teams have 6 real top 6 players and usually have a defined superstar #1 center. Obviously the surrounding cast is also crucial.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
How quick we forget how amazing Suzuki is at his best is all I'm saying bud

It's too easy to say Dach is going to be a better 1C than Suzuki is right now with one on a lil heater and the latter playing injured/getting top lines & top D thrown at him every single night, every shift + he's clearly not trying 100%

But ill say this too, in a perfect world of course you'd like one of the what, 5-6? generational C's that are in this league to be 1C and Suzuki on their wing or be 2C for sure
But thats not gonna happen and we can't insinuate that we would take all 32 first line C's in the NHL ahead of Nick, again, just because he's a little banged up right now and we're not that great a squad overall
Nick is a fine 1C right now and when we're a better team in these coming years, Suzuki is gonna look that much better, AND so will Dach
What do you see about Suzuki's game that would make you think he's better than Dach? Dach is closing in point wise. Dach is a puck moving power forward. Suzuki will never be able to enter the zone like Dach does. I love Suzuki but I'm calling a spade a spade. Right now this is my top 3 rank.

#1 Caufield
#2 Dach
#3 Suzuki

Reactions: SlafySZN

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
What do you see about Suzuki's game that would make you think he's better than Dach? Dach is closing in point wise. Dach is a puck moving power forward. Suzuki will never be able to enter the zone like Dach does. I love Suzuki but I'm calling a spade a spade. Right now this is my top 3 rank.

#1 Caufield
#2 Dach
#3 Suzuki
That's great bud!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Dach has looked very good of late. If he can improve those F.Os to around 45-50%, look out. And if he keeps playing C with that edge and vision Habs have a great problem on their hands. If they only draft around 5 and 12 they could reach for a C but ultimately they'd be looking at wingers to compliment Caufield and slafkovsky.

Great option to have with Beck on the way too

Last edited:

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Dach has looked very good of late. If he can improve those F.Os to around 45-50%, look out. And if he keeps playing C with that edge and vision Habs have a great problem on their hands. If they only draft around 5 and 12 they could reach for a C but ultimately they'd be looking at wingers to compliment Caufield and slafkovsky.

Some great option to have with Beck on the way too
Dubois - Dach - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - ?????

We could draft that winger with our 1st, or could Roy become that winger? I believe they will draft the BPA regardless of position

Beck will be the perfect 3C.

The future is looking good, but we need to get Dubois. Our bottom 6 will be fine with Beck, Heineman etc.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Dubois - Dach - Caufield
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - ?????

We could draft that winger with our 1st, or could Roy become that winger? I believe they will draft the BPA regardless of position

Beck will be the perfect 3C.

The future is looking good, but we need to get Dubois. Our bottom 6 will be fine with Beck, Heineman etc.
would love Dubois - all the contenders in the NHL have C's who play on the wing.
Let's draft a couple of great forwards with those picks
;)

nice problems to have

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Poolparty isn't gonna work, he can't even produce playing with McD and Drai, it's time to face the fact that he is a bust. Maybe in a few years he can pull a Nichushkin

I wonder if you realize that you contradict yourself, while validating my point, in this post :lol:

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
I wonder if you realize that you contradict yourself, while validating my point, in this post :lol:
Nichushkin was a bust that turned things around at 26 years old. But the chances of Poolparty doing that are low.

What would you pay in a trade for Poolparty?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Nichushkin was a bust that turned things around at 26 years old. But the chances of Poolparty doing that are low.

He comes either for free, or for a cap dump.

I’d much rather try him than the wingers we have now, going forward.

McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing, doesn’t mean everyone is meant to play with these guys. Chemistry is a real thing.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He comes either for free, or for a cap dump.

I’d much rather try him than the wingers we have now, going forward.

McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing, doesn’t mean everyone is meant to play with these guys. Chemistry is a real thing.
He’d essentially be the Armia replacement..

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Hopefully very little.

The rumors floating around of JP & a 1st or quality prospect for Edmundson would be a no-brainer.

JP's 24, turning 25 in May... His best year thus far, points-wise, is better than Nichuskin's was before his career year at 26. Like Nichuskin, JP plays a solid 200-ft game, can be a force on the cycle & along the boards, and has the tools to be quite a bit more productive IF he can put it all together.

Again, the nichuskin comparison only increases the argument to target JP lol

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Hopefully very little.

The rumors floating around of JP & a 1st or quality prospect for Edmundson would be a no-brainer.

JP's 24, turning 25 in May... His best year thus far, points-wise, is better than Nichuskin's was before his career year at 26. Like Nichuskin, JP plays a solid 200-ft game, can be a force on the cycle & along the boards, and has the tools to be quite a bit more productive IF he can put it all together.

Again, the nichuskin comparison only increases the argument to target JP lol
There's no rumors except fans throwing this proposal around.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
"Too afraid" LOL

The Maestro traded Subban in his prime, arguably the most courageous trade in Montreal history.
He traded a younger #1 dman for an older #1 dman. He never liked Subban, wouldn't call that courageous. In fact, his unwillingness to trade away valuable picks and prospects for real help instead of Dwight King shows he has no courage when it comes to making trades. The one time he did was with Sergachev which ended up being a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad