Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
there d is very lean.
It’s not Horrible with Burns, Pie, Williamson, McGowan, Uens and Chromiak but there needs to be improvements.
Chromiak will be moved imo.

Will be interesting to see if anyone comes to live with Mews to Kingston. I feel like Ottawa rather send him to the west though if and when it happens.
It’s a Jack Beck type situation

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It’s not Horrible with Burns, Pie, Williamson, McGowan, Uens and Chromiak but there needs to be improvements.

Will be interesting to see if anyone comes to live with Mews to Kingston. I feel like Ottawa rather send him to the west though if and when it happens.
if Uens/mcgowan are 3/4, it’s not great.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
if Uens/mcgowan are 3/4, it’s not great.
I agree but I think you see Williamson top 4 and Uens / McGowan bottom pair if Uens is kept around.
An acquisition like Mews after acquiring Guidon would give the team a significant boost.
Imagine Ludwinski comes back eventually?
I’m told it’s a 99% no but team could be pretty nasty with a couple small tweaks

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree but I think you see Williamson top 4 and Uens / McGowan bottom pair if Uens is kept around.
An acquisition like Mews after acquiring Guidon would give the team a significant boost.
Imagine Ludwinski comes back eventually?
I’m told it’s a 99% no but team could be pretty nasty with a couple small tweaks
they’ll need an 04/05 D, I get smith not being the one if they are committed to the goalie, Guindon and want flexibility but they need to add a new second pair

not having an 08 to be moved if a hard thing to do

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
they’ll need an 04/05 D, I get smith not being the one if they are committed to the goalie, Guindon and want flexibility but they need to add a new second pair

not having an 08 to be moved if a hard thing to do
It would suck losing weir but I think if they go and make a move for any top dogs he is the one going to be in that package. And even a year down the road it bites Kingston in the ass.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Unless it is pretty much a one for one with Mews-Frasca, I am not sure Kingston is the right trade partner. Ottawa is pretty deep on the wings and light at defence and centre. So, unless Ottawa were to get a top 6 centre or top 3 D-Man, I can’t see the Poles making that deal with Kingston. Hopkins may make some sense but the picks required with Hopkins would probably not make it worth while for the Fronts. I am not sure an Ottawa-Kingston deal involving Mews would be an easy one to map out. Even a deadline deal would be tough if Malhotra is dead set on not going the OHL route…. We’ll see if Malhotra reports and/or whether the fronts declare him defected.

I think if Ottawa and Mews could make it work, a deadline deal involving an ‘08 makes more sense. Unlike Beck who was an OA, I think Ottawa would play hardball with Mews to get him to the deadline.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Unless it is pretty much a one for one with Mews-Frasca, I am not sure Kingston is the right trade partner. Ottawa is pretty deep on the wings and light at defence and centre. So, unless Ottawa were to get a top 6 centre or top 3 D-Man, I can’t see the Poles making that deal with Kingston. Hopkins may make some sense but the picks required with Hopkins would probably not make it worth while for the Fronts. I am not sure an Ottawa-Kingston deal involving Mews would be an easy one to map out. Even a deadline deal would be tough if Malhotra is dead set on not going the OHL route…. We’ll see if Malhotra reports and/or whether the fronts declare him defected.

I think if Ottawa and Mews could make it work, a deadline deal involving an ‘08 makes more sense. Unlike Beck who was an OA, I think Ottawa would play hardball with Mews to get him to the deadline.
If Kingston would be trading anyone it would probably involve weir and maybe Williamson/velliaris. Weir and Velliaris are 07’s and Williamson an 06 but with good potential.

Hopkins is as safe as anyone on the team I believe.

I find it hard to believe they’re going after mews but if they manage to get him I’ll be a very happy camper- don’t think we’ve had someone his calibre for scoring at his age in a very long time- should make the pp have some great numbers.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
If Kingston would be trading anyone it would probably involve weir and maybe Williamson/velliaris. Weir and Velliaris are 07’s and Williamson an 06 but with good potential.

I find it hard to believe they’re going after mews but if they manage to get him I’ll be a very happy camper- don’t think we’ve had someone his calibre for scoring at his age in a very long time- should make the pp have some great numbers.

I doubt Mews is moved to Kingston but his agent wants him there and apparently Mews and Battaglia are close.
I feel like Ottawa would want an arm and a leg from a divisional team.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Wasn't the Frasca family chummy with the last coach?

If the trade is at the family's request, you must do it before camp starts.
Cooper is going to have to do something.

You cannot say Mann is a great developer of NHL players. If he was such a great coach at the AHL level, then he would still be in the AHL.

Trading him could be interesting as there are a lot of players avail.

This also magnifies the Malhorta draft because it really leaves the team in a developmental hole at center.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I doubt Mews is moved to Kingston but his agent wants him there and apparently Mews and Battaglia are close.
I feel like Ottawa would want an arm and a leg from a divisional team.
I agree.

If they got it done without Hopkins involved- I’d be pretty damn happy regardless though.

All in this year obviously and then next year if they didn’t want to go for it again they can trade guys like mews/Battaglia and get 2 09’s to go with our 2 09’s we will already get (comp pick + normal 1st)

4 first round 16 year olds like the Pete’s last year wouldn’t be something to complain about but obviously far too ahead to predict that future. Hard though to foresee how this season goes let alone the 2025/2026 season as of now.

A lot of questions.

By October there will be far less questions.

Also about frasca been thinking- I think 4 teams to watch in my opinion would be Windsor, Barrie, and Niagara. Nobody has told me a thing about teams just want to get that out there- just my own personal speculation because Windsor, Jordan played for, Barrie, Jacob played for, and Niagara Nicholas will play for. Ottawa if the Mews rumours are true- gonna need to trade someone to Ottawa, Ottawa needs a top 6 centre, Kingston needs a rhd man it may work out. Not just 1 for 1 though obviously.

Windsor, Niagara are 2 years away from contention- by then Gabriel will be 19- and one of the best 2 way centres in the league I’m sure. Barrie is a bit of a wild card but they’ll probably be good then too with guys like Beaudoin in his 19 year old season, Moses 18 etc. but u think the front runners should be Windsor then Niagara.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I am not sure you can say Mann is a great developer of NHL players. If he was such a great coach at the AHL level, then he would still be in the AHL.
Believe if my memory stands- Mann got fired before for showing other teams plays or something along the lines of that- that’s enough to get you fired anywhere. He did develop some good guys though in the AHL like Drake batherson.

Still too early imo as of now to say as we have to remember Caputi picked the team etc and Mann took over like 10 games in. Will be more clear about the OHL level around Christmas time of this coming 2024/2025 season. If he turns uens into a reliable d man I think that in itself is enough to give him coach of the decade not even just coach of the year LOL

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Believe if my memory stands- Mann got fired before for showing other teams plays or something along the lines of that- that’s enough to get you fired anywhere. He did develop some good guys though in the AHL like Drake batherson.

Still too early imo as of now to say as we have to remember Caputi picked the team etc and Mann took over like 10 games in. Will be more clear about the OHL level around Christmas time of this coming 2024/2025 season. If he turns uens into a reliable d man I think that in itself is enough to give him coach of the decade not even just coach of the year LOL
Here is an article that outlines pretty well what the issue was in Ottawa

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Here is an article that outlines pretty well what the issue was in Ottawa

The term "scouting information" has been mentioned many times before but I don't think this relates to Mann handing over a clip board with his teams top plays or game day planning tools to the opposition.

I think this story relates to him getting too comfy within the organization and focusing/sharing things that were not his business to worry about. Mann loves interviews and the camera/radio and would chat forever if the questions kept coming.
My bet is he gave out information that wasn't his business to disclose, that and the team was underperforming.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree.

If they got it done without Hopkins involved- I’d be pretty damn happy regardless though.

All in this year obviously and then next year if they didn’t want to go for it again they can trade guys like mews/Battaglia and get 2 09’s to go with our 2 09’s we will already get (comp pick + normal 1st)

4 first round 16 year olds like the Pete’s last year wouldn’t be something to complain about but obviously far too ahead to predict that future. Hard though to foresee how this season goes let alone the 2025/2026 season as of now.

A lot of questions.

By October there will be far less questions.

Also about frasca been thinking- I think 4 teams to watch in my opinion would be Windsor, Barrie, and Niagara. Nobody has told me a thing about teams just want to get that out there- just my own personal speculation because Windsor, Jordan played for, Barrie, Jacob played for, and Niagara Nicholas will play for. Ottawa if the Mews rumours are true- gonna need to trade someone to Ottawa, Ottawa needs a top 6 centre, Kingston needs a rhd man it may work out. Not just 1 for 1 though obviously.

Windsor, Niagara are 2 years away from contention- by then Gabriel will be 19- and one of the best 2 way centres in the league I’m sure. Barrie is a bit of a wild card but they’ll probably be good then too with guys like Beaudoin in his 19 year old season, Moses 18 etc. but u think the front runners should be Windsor then Niagara.

The Frontenacs imo should be saving assets to acquire Gibson or Andonovski at the deadline, not Mews.

Frasca to NB for Wakely, and/or Mathurin-VanSteensel almost makes too much sense for both teams.

Frasca to Barrie makes some sense. He could add some playmaking ability to the colts 3rd line this season, and 2nd line the following season. Barrie could offer their ‘07-2nd (C) & 3rd (LD) picks, or a couple of physical ‘05s to flank McNamara.

Niagara could very well happen, but I do not see how it would benefit the IceDogs. Right now, Niagara has (one) right shot among the top 9 forwards. In addition to bigger left shot C/W Podolioukh, Vermulen, Wray, they have a surplus of offensive left shot C/W in Bryant, He, Assadourian, Roobroek, Czata, Wassylin, Crete, Galiyanov, and Levin even if they sent a couple to Kingston. I do not see a path for Frasca as a top six centre for the remainder of his time in the OHL if dealt to Niagara.

Windsor needs defence not an offensive centre.

Frasca should be happy as a LW in the Frontenacs top six imo.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The term "scouting information" has been mentioned many times before but I don't think this relates to Mann handing over a clip board with his teams top plays or game day planning tools to the opposition.

I think this story relates to him getting too comfy within the organization and focusing/sharing things that were not his business to worry about. Mann loves interviews and the camera/radio and would chat forever if the questions kept coming.
My bet is he gave out information that wasn't his business to disclose, that and the team was underperforming.
The scouting info was about individual players. I only posted this because @frontsfan67 was wondering why.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Mews is a two-year player that is likely to be at or near the top of scoring for D-Men. I have issues with his defence but regardless of that, a player like him traded at the deadline would cost similarly to Owen Beck. Kingston could then turn around and trade his rights next season as Peterborough did. So, when I say Hopkins plus picks, that’s likely what it would need to be which is why I stated that Kingston isn’t a likely landing spot.

If it were lessor players involved, the number of picks required would go up exponentially. That wouldn’t make sense for Kingston at all.

If Malhotra were to report then it would be Malhotra plus picks. That would make more sense for Kingston since it is unlikely that Malhotea would make an impact as a rookie in the same way as Hopkins as a sophomore.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mews is a two-year player that is likely to be at or near the top of scoring for D-Men. I have issues with his defence but regardless of that, a player like him traded at the deadline would cost similarly to Owen Beck. Kingston could then turn around and trade his rights next season as Peterborough did. So, when I say Hopkins plus picks, that’s likely what it would need to be which is why I stated that Kingston isn’t a likely landing spot.

If it were lessor players involved, the number of picks required would go up exponentially. That wouldn’t make sense for Kingston at all.

If Malhotra were to report then it would be Malhotra plus picks. That would make more sense for Kingston since it is unlikely that Malhotea would make an impact as a rookie in the same way as Hopkins as a sophomore.

Mews is a good player, not an 18 yr old WJC player worthy of an emergency NHL call-up. I honestly would not part with Hopkins straight up for Mews.
I could understand Frasca + as long as Pieniniemi is on the frontenacs, not Chromiak.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
The scouting info was about individual players. I only posted this because @frontsfan67 was wondering why.
I know exactly what happened from both sides and this isn’t accurate.
Claire Hannah a Sens beat reporter that always had her nose up Dorions rear end wrote a story she could not substantiate.
No reputable insider talked about it because they knew it was fabricated.

The thing that gives it away is Troy was fired and not terminated.
He was paid for 2 more years because they didn’t have any concrete proof to terminate the contract. - if he shared confidential information it’s termination without pay and it’s in all hockey contracts.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that whole hockey Ops was gutted after Troy’s firing?

Only one left is Bowness who started a couple months prior.
Troy was fired because him and DJ had issues and instead of Dorion being a leader and resolving he fueled the issues between the 2 thinking he was creating healthy competition between the 2.
Troy is a beauty and to say he hasn’t done much to develop players into NHL players is a dog shit take and I would start questioning hockey minds if you think otherwise.
Troy was interviewing for NHL jobs when he was railroaded by DJ.

Last edited:
  • Wow

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
PS. Scouts share information all the time. I literally sit with NHL scouts sharing information about players all winter long.

The accusations was that DJ accused Troy of sharing Pre-Scout information about the systems they play to another team.
Troy refused to follow Ottawas systems in Belleville because they were horrendous and it’s shown from Ottawas last couple seasons.

You can literally watch a senators games and see for yourself exactly what systems they play so it’s not like it’s top secret information.

One thing that does happen in the industry is when interviewing for coaching jobs you get grilled on systems and how to counter etc.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Mews is a good player, not an 18 yr old WJC player worthy of an emergency NHL call-up. I honestly would not part with Hopkins straight up for Mews.
I could understand Frasca + as long as Pieniniemi is on the frontenacs, not Chromiak.
He’s a two year player at a premium position that as a 17 year old finished 7th in D-Man scoring. He will easily go for an ‘08 at the deadline plus picks. There really is no question about that. So, if Kingston doesn’t have an ‘08 because he doesn’t report then the fall back would need to be Hopkins plus picks IF Kingston wanted Mews. As I said previously, to me Kingston is not a good fit from a trade perspective.

I know exactly what happened from both sides and this isn’t accurate.
Claire Hannah a Sens beat reporter that always had her nose up Dorions rear end wrote a story she could not substantiate.
No reputable insider talked about it because they knew it was fabricated.

The thing that gives it away is Troy was fired and not terminated.
He was paid for 2 more years because they didn’t have any concrete proof to terminate the contract. - if he shared confidential information it’s termination without pay and it’s in all hockey contracts.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that whole hockey Ops was gutted after Troy’s firing?

Only one left is Bowness who started a couple months prior.
Troy was fired because him and DJ had issues and instead of Dorion being a leader and resolving he fueled the issues between the 2 thinking he was creating healthy competition between the 2.
Troy is a beauty and to say he hasn’t done much to develop players into NHL players is a dog shit take and I would start questioning hockey minds if you think otherwise.
Troy was interviewing for NHL jobs when he was railroaded by DJ.

The Senators organization is/was a gong show. That is all that really needed to be said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad