Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Kingston needs to acquire more players... I don't know what it's like around the league but from what I can see they only have 14 signed forwards (including Frasca who is going to be moved and Heyes or Poole as a temporary OA to start the year), 7 signed D (including either Chromiak or Pieninemi, and possibly Bergeron - although there was talk he hung up the saktes earlier in the offseason), and 4 signed goalies.

2 of the forwards (Kelly/McQuaig) will likely need some Jr. A/B seasoning, and having possibly only 1 depth D in Bergeron (if he's still playing) is not a way to start the year that you want to consider going for it. Any injuries that pop up will put Kingston in a tough tough spot.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston needs to acquire more players... I don't know what it's like around the league but from what I can see they only have 14 signed forwards (including Frasca who is going to be moved and Heyes or Poole as a temporary OA to start the year), 7 signed D (including either Chromiak or Pieninemi, and possibly Bergeron - although there was talk he hung up the saktes earlier in the offseason), and 4 signed goalies.

2 of the forwards (Kelly/McQuaig) will likely need some Jr. A/B seasoning, and having possibly only 1 depth D in Bergeron (if he's still playing) is not a way to start the year that you want to consider going for it. Any injuries that pop up will put Kingston in a tough tough spot.
Haven’t looked at too many players that could be coming in but just my guess- they sign a few out of training camp for the 4th line.

I think mondoux who is younger and a big d man would maybe be a guy they could sign to be that 7th d. 6 d men I see being here in no particular order- burns, pieniniemi, McGowan, uens, velliaris, Williamson

I predict if they trade for a good 19 year old like Andrew Gibson on the soo they use 1 if velliaris/williamson in that trade (not 1 for 1 obviously) so they can still get their minutes on the Soo this year and the other plays 3rd pair here. Then they trade for an OA d man and that pushes one of these guys out of a spot. Probably mondoux would go back to OJHL or stay as the 7th d man.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Haven’t looked at too many players that could be coming in but just my guess- they sign a few out of training camp for the 4th line.

I think mondoux who is younger and a big d man would maybe be a guy they could sign to be that 7th d. 6 d men I see being here in no particular order- burns, pieniniemi, McGowan, uens, velliaris, Williamson

I predict if they trade for a good 19 year old like Andrew Gibson on the soo they use 1 if velliaris/williamson in that trade (not 1 for 1 obviously) so they can still get their minutes on the Soo this year and the other plays 3rd pair here. Then they trade for an OA d man and that pushes one of these guys out of a spot. Probably mondoux would go back to OJHL or stay as the 7th d man.

Here's a quick example of what it looks like right now.
Question marks highlighted in BOLD
Don't pay much attention to line Combo's i think there's lots of moving part still.
I myself am not sure how to place Hopkins, Uronen, Mcnamara in all honestly.

F:
Battaglia Guidon Soto

Miedima Hopkins Frasca (will be moved)

Open spot Uronen Heyes

Cavallin Mcnamara Weir

D:
Pienieniemi (About to be signed) Burns

Uens McGowan

Velliaris Williamson

Bergeron -Unsure of status

Chromiak (Prob not returning)

G:
Lalonde

Vaccari

I should mention Mcnamara likely wont be on the 4th line but i just through this together quickly based on what i know so far.

Unsure if Nolan Buttar will crack the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Don't pay much attention to line Combo's i think there's lots of moving part still.

F:
Battaglia Guidon Soto

Open spot Uronen Heyes

Cavallin Mcnamara Weir

D:

Uens McGowan

Velliaris Williamson

G:
Lalonde

Vaccari

I should mention Mcnamara likely wont be on the 4th line but i just through this together quickly based on what i know so far.

Just about frasca and uronen- would uronen move up to the right side there beside Hopkins? If so that’s 2 good lines to start with. Then McNamara maybe goes 3C?

Any idea of McNamara would be fine playing 3rd line minutes on this team or would he want to be traded again? I assume this is a similar situation to how it was in Saginaw and why he may have wanted out?

Just like you’ve said before about improving the second d line- that seems like the area that needs the most improvement but otherwise very solid to start the year- a lot more confident in this group competing rather than last year especially with the stable goaltending

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014

F:
Battaglia Guidon Soto

Open spot Uronen Heyes

Cavallin Mcnamara Weir

D:

Uens McGowan

Velliaris Williamson

G:
Lalonde

Vaccari

Yeah that's pretty much what I had - except Uronen as RW 1 and Soto RW 2 with Frasca already gone, with McNamara as 3C.

One of Chromiak/Pieniniemi will be first pair with Burns - both can't be there since they have Uronen.

If Buttar can't/doesn't crack the roster - then that's another bottom 6 spot to fill, and I don't know where they'll find the bodies - he may make it out of necessity...

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Just about frasca and uronen- would uronen move up to the right side there beside Hopkins? If so that’s 2 good lines to start with. Then McNamara maybe goes 3C?

Any idea of McNamara would be fine playing 3rd line minutes on this team or would he want to be traded again? I assume this is a similar situation to how it was in Saginaw and why he may have wanted out?

Just like you’ve said before about improving the second d line- that seems like the area that needs the most improvement but otherwise very solid to start the year- a lot more confident in this group competing rather than last year especially with the stable goaltending
100% that 2nd pair is going to be a problem depth wise.
It should be priority number 1 right now.
I suspect Mcnamara will get more minutes then he probably should this season. -I do think Troy see's more in him then some other might.

Yeah that's pretty much what I had - except Uronen as RW 1 and Soto RW 2 with Frasca already gone, with McNamara as 3C.

One of Chromiak/Pieniniemi will be first pair with Burns - both can't be there since they have Uronen.

If Buttar can't/doesn't crack the roster - then that's another bottom 6 spot to fill, and I don't know where they'll find the bodies - he may make it out of necessity...
Exactly, As soon as Pie signs we know Chromiaks future is not here.
Just a matter if they can get something instead of losing him for nothing. (I don't think his stock is very high right now)
Buttar is a dark horse to crack out of camp.

I suspect Mcnamara will get more minutes then he probably should this season. -I do think Troy see's more in him then some other might.

Just a matter if they can get something instead of losing him for nothing. (I don't think his stock is very high right now)
In all honestly i know a lot less about Uronen then i should and haven't watched much tape or scouted many of his games live.
Maybe @OMG67 can chime in on what we can expect from him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Saginaw wanted to move McNamara for picks to use in trades?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Wasn’t sure if it was that or if he just wasn’t happy there.

Thought around the time he was traded some Saginaw fans were saying that he was a cancer to their team or something like that

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
He wasn't overly popular with his peers on Saginaw was more so the reason.
This led to him wanting out.

I'm not sure if you seen the Kingston / Saginaw Meetings last season but it was very visible there was bad blood.
Troy is buddies with Lukes dad. -I think they did him a bit of a favor getting him out for a fresh start.

Reactions: PuckLucker

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wasn’t sure if it was that or if he just wasn’t happy there.

Thought around the time he was traded some Saginaw fans were saying that he was a cancer to their team or something like that

pretty common thing to read after players are traded

He wasn't overly popular with his peers on Saginaw was more so the reason.
This led to him wanting out.

I'm not sure if you seen the Kingston / Saginaw Meetings last season but it was very visible there was bad blood.
Troy is buddies with Lukes dad. -I think they did him a bit of a favor getting him out for a fresh start.

Most games I’ve seen someone wants to punch McNamara’s mouth :)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

In all honestly i know a lot less about Uronen then i should and haven't watched much tape or scouted many of his games live.
Maybe @OMG67 can chime in on what we can expect from him.
I’d really like to be of some help regarding Uronen but he only played 11 games last year and missed the remainder with injury. Ottawa started the season with only one viable Centre last year so it was really hard to assess rookie wingers when they were lining up beside other wingers.

IIRC, he wasn’t physical but didn’t shy away from contact. HE could skate but wasn’t a wizard. He reminded me more of a north-south winger that could shoot the puck but didn’t have overwhelming skill. Keep in mind that he was adjusting to North American ice so it is tough to tell whether he just wasn’t ready to poke his nose into the dirty areas yet. Guys like that really need a solid half season to find their feet on the smaller ice surface. The kids that can skate usually have a bit of an easier time. I think he was working more on matching pace and picking his spots which takes a bit more time. But, again, considering the limited viewing window combined with it being 10 months ago, it is tough to really provide anything truly concrete.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I’d really like to be of some help regarding Uronen but he only played 11 games last year and missed the remainder with injury. Ottawa started the season with only one viable Centre last year so it was really hard to assess rookie wingers when they were lining up beside other wingers.

IIRC, he wasn’t physical but didn’t shy away from contact. HE could skate but wasn’t a wizard. He reminded me more of a north-south winger that could shoot the puck but didn’t have overwhelming skill. Keep in mind that he was adjusting to North American ice so it is tough to tell whether he just wasn’t ready to poke his nose into the dirty areas yet. Guys like that really need a solid half season to find their feet on the smaller ice surface. The kids that can skate usually have a bit of an easier time. I think he was working more on matching pace and picking his spots which takes a bit more time. But, again, considering the limited viewing window combined with it being 10 months ago, it is tough to really provide anything truly concrete.
Yea it definitely made it hard to get live viewings!
I will check out some video tonight of some of his shifts and take a look myself.

Reactions: OMG67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Any idea when training camp may be? Otters released theirs today. I assume some other teams will release that info this week?
Otters released the 1st weekend schedule of training camp (8/24-8/26). With no home exhibition games, I'm planning on attending some scrimmages.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yea it definitely made it hard to get live viewings!
I will check out some video tonight of some of his shifts and take a look myself.

He will 100% contribute in a positive way. IF he is high enough on the depth chart, he should score 20-30 goals.

Reactions: Finster8

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Shouldn't a 26th overall selection step in and contribute regularly on the 4th line as a rookie?

The Fronts have to start developing younger players and trusting what they teach these young players in practice, translates to game play. Mistakes are okay, especially if you have a more mature team.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Shouldn't a 26th overall selection step in and contribute regularly on the 4th line as a rookie?

The Fronts have to start developing younger players and trusting what they teach these young players in practice, translates to game play. Mistakes are okay, especially if you have a more mature team.
depends, cowan did fine by going to jr b.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I think it depends a lot more on depth chart.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023

Camp will determine that.
Why rush the decision and risk the player coming to camp out of shape or injured, etc

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Agreed but the Fronts are nowhere near London in terms of a development pipeline or GM decision making.
i just think that it depends on the player and the best route. its not a promise that any player is ready right away, some are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad