LeBrun: Kings want 1st-round pick, prospect for Muzzin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We all have our thoughts and Muzzin is not a UFA. Muzzin can play a top 2 role and fit right in. And Muzzin can lay body (which teams pay extra for), PK & PP, & has Cup experience in a top 2 role. Time will tell.
wait you mean Torontos late first and a middling prospect isnt enough? I thought Muzzin wore Leafs pajamas as a kid

Reactions: Foppberg

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Debrusk has over 100 NHL games, how at all is he comparable to Lilijgren

Also lol at comparing the Leafs 1st to the Habs 1st.... from what Ive read the Leafs will be picking 27-31 this year... Habs are not a sure thing for the playoffs and have even said they are open to selling off some players

1st + Vaakanainen or 1st + Donato seems fair to me :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin said about 10 days ago he isn't trading a 1st round pick or key young assets for a short term fix and wants to continue building for the future. Even though Muzzin still has a year on his contract after this season I don't know if Bergevin considers that a short term fix or not but it fits the criteria. Muzzin would be a huge add to the Habs left side D though but I'd rather the Habs keep the required 1st and prospect instead and keep building for the future.

If Bergevin holds true to his statements, Habs are out of the bidding for Muzzin.

Reactions: sheed36

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We all have our thoughts and Muzzin is not a UFA. Muzzin can play a top 2 role and fit right in. And Muzzin can lay body (which teams pay extra for), PK & PP, & has Cup experience in a top 2 role. Time will tell.

Yeah, but McDonagh wasn't a UFA either. And he was in a tier above.

I think the Kings might be best served holding him. The one card they really have is the Leafs may or may not be desperate for a D. If they're not... I'm not sure other teams will pony up a big package.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
My first thought.

A late first, even perhaps one of the last picks of the first, has a pretty good chance of not making the NHL at all. To throw in a meaningless prospect after that like say Gabriel Gagne is of course attractive to the Leafs, but thinking from the opposite perspective, you could be getting two assets that never make the NHL for your second best defenseman. I'm not saying the Kings front office can't be gamed that bad but I wouldn't count on it.

Muzzin for the 1st and Sandin. I could see that.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Pens would likely rather have Martinez than Muzzin. Pens also can't do this without sending salary the other way. At the very leat Oleksiak goes the other way, or more realistically Maatta. Im not giving up Maatta and a 1st for Martinez though. Would do Maatta and a 2nd.

As a Kings fan, I would be interested in Maata + 2nd for Martinez. Could work out well for both teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What trades are you using as precedent?

Let's try these:

McDonagh and JT Miller returned a 1st, 2nd, Namestnikov, Howden, Hajek
Shattenkirk brought back a 1st, a 2nd, and Zach Sanford (a 2nd himself)
Hjalmarsson brought back two younger defensemen, one a 1st round pick and one a 2nd round pick
Vatanen for Henrique and Blandisi exchanging 3rds,
Oduya got a former first round pick in Marc McNeill and a 4th
Marc Methot got a goalie prospect and a 2nd
Jeff Petry got a 2nd and a 5th
Jordie Benn brought a younger d-man--Pateryn--and a 4th
Brandon ****ing Davidson got a 3rd rounder

Muzzin definitely towards the higher end in there, definitely at least Shattenkirk level given he can play all-situation top-pairing minutes.

Will be downgraded to a high to midd 2nd + prospect towards the trade deadline.

Lol, that's not at all how the trade deadline works.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If Muzzin's ask from LA is a 1st + Liljegren/Kapanen (which is obviously not the case because that is absurd) then the Leafs will move on to a true #1 D like Pietrangelo and offer that package plus some more pieces. Much better value.

I don't think LA will trade Muzzin this TDL though.
I don't think a lot of Leaf fans are being realistic as to the trade value of Pietro. This is one of the best RHD in the league and he has 10 NHL seasons of elite play to back up the claim. With 1 more year on the contract I don't think a late 1st, Lil/Kap and another piece are going to get it done from St. Louis. I think his value is every bit as high as Karlsson, but Karlsson's value took a hit because he was unwilling to negotiate a new deal at the time of the trade so he was a pure rental and the environment in Ottawa around Karlsson was so toxic, he had to move.

Karlsson received Tierny (young 3rd line C coming off 40pt), Demelo (young bottom pairing D), Norris (1st round C prospect), Balcer (top 9 winger prospect), 1st and 2nd round picks.

So a Pietroangelo needing a bigger return due to circumstance and contract length probably requires Kapanen, Lil/Sandin, Grundstrom, Rosen/Borgman, 1st and 2nd and I don't know if that is enough.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Doubt the Leafs would have Liljegren/Sandin on the table for Muzzin. Keep in mind that last year Tampa wouldn't include Foote (similar caliber prospect) for McDonagh who also had a year left afterward and is considered the better player.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I don't think a lot of Leaf fans are being realistic as to the trade value of Pietro. This is one of the best RHD in the league and he has 10 NHL seasons of elite play to back up the claim. With 1 more year on the contract I don't think a late 1st, Lil/Kap and another piece are going to get it done from St. Louis. I think his value is every bit as high as Karlsson, but Karlsson's value took a hit because he was unwilling to negotiate a new deal at the time of the trade so he was a pure rental and the environment in Ottawa around Karlsson was so toxic, he had to move.

Karlsson received Tierny (young 3rd line C coming off 40pt), Demelo (young bottom pairing D), Norris (1st round C prospect), Balcer (top 9 winger prospect), 1st and 2nd round picks.

So a Pietroangelo needing a bigger return due to circumstance and contract length probably requires Kapanen, Lil/Sandin, Grundstrom, Rosen/Borgman, 1st and 2nd and I don't know if that is enough.
I agree one of Kap or Johnsson would need to be included in a deal for Pietro, but Karlsson is a top 5 player in the league. Pietro is not close to the level of player Karlsson is.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Leafs fans,

What would Kings need to add on top of Muzzin for a package of:

1st + Kapanen
or
1st + Johnsson

The reason I ask is I think to make the trade work between these two teams, it should be a 1st + young roster player (who’s on an expiring contract) instead of prospect. Leafs are gonna need those prospects on cheap contracts after Matthews and Marner get new deals.

Kapanen (on pace for 51 point season) and Johnsson (on pace for 43 point season) are going to need new contacts and will be getting a raise.

Just my thoughts

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
wait you mean Torontos late first and a middling prospect isnt enough? I thought Muzzin wore Leafs pajamas as a kid

"Being close to Toronto I was definitely a Maple Leafs fan. My favorite Leafs players growing up were Doug Gilmore, Mats Sundin, Wendel Clark and Felix Potvin in net. Those were the guys we pretended to be on the ice sometimes."

Time to bring him home? :sarcasm:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Honestly, Pietro is probably more of an offseason move and the package for him probably includes Kapanen and Liljegren + the first and some other small adds. I think that is a higher quality package base then what Karlsson garnered.

I think the difference between Muzzin and Pietro is substantial enough that I wouldn't give the 1st + premium assets for the former, when the latter may potentially be available.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Could see Calgary being in on Muzzin. I doubt they want Valimaki playing big minutes down the stretch after being out months. CGY 1st + Kylington for Muzzin?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I agree one of Kap or Johnsson would need to be included in a deal for Pietro, but Karlsson is a top 5 player in the league. Pietro is not close to the level of player Karlsson is.

I don't see a reason why the Blues would be considering moving Pietrangelo at this point unless it's for a deal they just can't refuse. Karlsson's situation in Ottawa was much different and the Sens didn't exactly get the best return for Karlsson.

I think if teams call the Blues asking about Pietrangelo they're gonna be quite surprised about the price it would take to pry him out of there right now. Next year this time if Pietrangelo is noncommittal about re-signing there that's when the Blues will likely move him but not right now IMO. I think the Blues likely re-sign him to an extension this summer.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I don't see a reason why the Blues would be considering moving Pietrangelo at this point unless it's for a deal they just can't refuse. Karlsson's situation in Ottawa was much different and the Sens didn't exactly get the best return for Karlsson.

I think if teams call the Blues asking about Pietrangelo they're gonna be quite surprised about the price it would take to pry him out of there right now. Next year this time if Pietrangelo is noncommittal about re-signing there that's when the Blues will likely move him but not right now IMO. I think the Blues likely re-sign him to an extension this summer.
Yeah, I dont think the Blues are interested in moving him either. They're pretty close to the playoffs, I could see them buying before selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad