LeBrun: Kings want 1st-round pick, prospect for Muzzin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What are you talking about? They've played with each other for years. Just because they're separated now doesn't mean the bulk of Muzzin's career hasn't been beside Doughty. And look at how good the Kings are now that they're separated. We don't have a Doughty in Toronto to pump up Muzzin.

Because that's objectively wrong. Since the 2014 Cup and our subsequent departures, Muzzin has played more than twice the icetime with Martinez as he has with Doughty, and that's also not counting the other assortment of misfits we've tried out in the top-4.

Ultimately it's splitting hairs but I take issue with it because you're suggesting that Muzzin was only good because great team--which I factually rebut--and then only because he's a passenger to DD--which I factually rebut.

Reactions: go4hockey

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No, because it was literally just an out-of-context rant about literally only his competition from a guy who has had a serial dislike for Muzzin.

I know you like when you think people do your homework for you, but maybe you should critically think for yourself instead of going on an ignorance piggyback ride.

Yes, consider his deployment, I always say that and you know it, but on a bottom-run possession team, here are your Muzzin advanced stats: 50.45% CF% (3.79 rel, tops on LA D), 59.02 GF% (18.02 rel, tops on LA period), 42.29% ozone starts (lowest amongst regular Kings' dmen).

He's only played 75 minutes with DD. He's played over twice that with arguably-worst-dman-in-the-league Sean Walker, and 520 minutes with Alec Martinez.

For your reference.

So it sounds like you don't think he can anchor a 2nd pairing line with anyone but an all-star. That's troubling.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I would not pay the asking price but I think its realy possible that we'll see a Mcdonagh's volume 2. Muzzin by himself isnt a missing link to something and LA needs a major shake up

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
So it sounds like you don't think he can anchor a 2nd pairing line with anyone but an all-star. That's troubling.

What are you on about? Muzzin is a fantastic 2nd pairing defenseman that can also play on the top pair. Look at his relative stats throughout his career, he is second only to Doughty on the team by most metrics. Do you have something to back up your statement that you don't believe he can anchor a second pairing?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What are you on about? Muzzin is a fantastic 2nd pairing defenseman that can also play on the top pair. Look at his relative stats throughout his career, he is second only to Doughty on the team by most metrics. Do you have something to back up your statement that you don't believe he can anchor a second pairing?

I have consistently said on this thread and elsewhere that Muzzin is a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Saying he can play on the top pair is meaningless since Derek f'ing Forbort plays every game on the top pair...does that mean he is a #1 or #2 defenseman? If Muzzin is your 1st or 2nd best defenseman then you probably can plan on making tee times in early April.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Pens could give up a 1st and a prospect for Muzzin.

I don't know what prospect position they need most though.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I have consistently said on this thread and elsewhere that Muzzin is a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Saying he can play on the top pair is meaningless since Derek f'ing Forbort plays every game on the top pair...does that mean he is a #1 or #2 defenseman? If Muzzin is your 1st or 2nd best defenseman then you probably can plan on making tee times in early April.
You should really stop worrying about Kings players and go back to your quackers board.No one likes a bandwagon hopper.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The Pens could give up a 1st and a prospect for Muzzin.

I don't know what prospect position they need most though.

I wouldn’t mind it either. 1st and a prospect and then trade Maatta and you get much of that right back.

Dumoulin-Letang
Muzzin-Schultz

Now that would be a fantastic top 4 and our top 2 lines would be that much better with the great transition game they would get from the first pass from those defenseman.

I actually think Maatta would get a pretty nice 3C by himself. So trade 1st and a prospect for Muzzin and then trade Maatta for 3C. Then trade Brassard for 1st.

After all those transactions Pens end up with a better 1st round pick most likely and upgrade at defense and 3C for one prospect. Sounds like a plan.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
You should really stop worrying about Kings players and go back to your quackers board.No one likes a bandwagon hopper.

I've followed the Kings and hockey since 1973 and at this point in my life don't feel the need to live and die by any particular team. I follow both teams. If you take offense to sober analysis then that probably says more about you than it does me.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

member 88115

my personal feeling is that the Kings should keep Muzzin since I think Blake would still prefer a retool to a rebuild. The Kings organizational depth on defense is just horrid and that is something that will takes years to repair if Muzzin is traded. I know the counter view is for the Kings to be as bad as possible for as long as possible and they have no problem icing AHL level talent at NHL level prices...as if that will fly in the LA market. Blake definitely has his work cut out for him.
While I respect hour point of view, I would disagree on resigning Muzzin. As Osprey said of $$$ it would take to resign him, but also the team is not winning enough to keep most of the second tier of stars, if any.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I followed the Kings since 1973 and at this point in my life don't feel the need to live and die by any particular team. I follow both teams. If you take offense to sober analysis then that probably says more about you than it does me.

Sober analysis? It usually comes across as negative nancyish to me. Surely you can see why when you vanish for our cup runs then return we are shit and bring your "sober" opinion.

Muzzin is a very good dman, he was great with doughty on the top pairing and is excellent to lead a 2nd pairing. Forbort sucks donkey dick on the top pairing. He would be better suited as a 3rd pairing guy.

btw there shouldn't be any sober analysis of kings players, because if you're not watching the games drunk this year, you're doing it wrong.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.

Muzzin was a #2 Dman in the stanley cup finals in 2014

Rangers vs. Kings: Line-by-Line Breakdown for 2014 Stanley Cup Final

Reactions: deaderhead28

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
While I respect hour point of view, I would disagree on resigning Muzzin. As Osprey said of $$$ it would take to resign him, but also the team is not winning enough to keep most of the second tier of stars, if any.

I've no problem with your viewpoint. There can be legitimate differences of opinion. It will be interesting to see what Blake does.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
No, because it was literally just an out-of-context rant about literally only his competition from a guy who has had a serial dislike for Muzzin.

I know you like when you think people do your homework for you, but maybe you should critically think for yourself instead of going on an ignorance piggyback ride.

Yes, consider his deployment, I always say that and you know it, but on a bottom-run possession team, here are your Muzzin advanced stats: 50.45% CF% (3.79 rel, tops on LA D), 59.02 GF% (18.02 rel, tops on LA period), 42.29% ozone starts (lowest amongst regular Kings' dmen).

He's only played 75 minutes with DD. He's played over twice that with arguably-worst-dman-in-the-league Sean Walker, and 520 minutes with Alec Martinez.

For your reference.

Your characterization of my researched argument as an "out-of-context rant" is extremely unfair. It's fair that I dislike Muzzin, but I'm not the one repeatedly fighting with and insulting people who disagree with me. If anyone is "ranting" in this thread, it's you, to be honest. Take my arguments with a grain of salt if you wish, but I don't see why your arguments should be taken with any less.

You say he hasn't played that role in years, but you ignored the 'why' earlier in this thread--the evaporation of the depth behind him. LA feels his best usage is carrying a 2nd pairing with him and Martinez while saddling doughty with the corpse du jour; I obviously disagree. But he's by far the clear #2 d on LA in talent and SHOULD BE in role, they're just trying to mitigate the bleeding from elsewhere by using him to anchor a 2nd pairing isntead of using him next to Doughty.

The reasons why don't matter as much to fans of potential buyers. The fact that he hasn't been a 1st-pairing defenseman for years is going to make some hesitant to give up a #2D-worthy package. That's just the way that it is.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sober analysis? It usually comes across as negative nancyish to me. Surely you can see why when you vanish for our cup runs then return we are **** and bring your "sober" opinion.

Muzzin is a very good dman, he was great with doughty on the top pairing and is excellent to lead a 2nd pairing. Forbort sucks donkey dick on the top pairing. He would be better suited as a 3rd pairing guy.

btw there shouldn't be any sober analysis of kings players, because if you're not watching the games drunk this year, you're doing it wrong.

I've not criticized Muzzin...I've simply called him a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. That sounds like I'm saying he is "very good". As for my opinions, I took off the purple colored glasses years ago and I'm better for it.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I've not criticized Muzzin...I've simply called him a solid 2nd pairing defenseman. That sounds like I'm saying he is "very good". As for my opinions, I took off the purple colored glasses years ago and I'm better for it.

giphy.gif

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
5 years ago is was a #2 on a Stanley Cup winner.

Well, that's certainly debatable. He was legendary on these boards for his once per game boneheaded turnovers or questionable decision making. Scuderi, Mitchell, Voynov, Greene and Regehr were all better all around defensemen and that's why they won the SC. Muzzin had flashier numbers but the other guys were the glue to the defense. Again, not criticizing Muzzin, just being realistic. It was no coincidence that as the guys mentioned above disappeared quickly after 2014, the team's fortunes changed dramatically for the worse. Muzzin remaining didn't prevent that.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

Ok, fair enough, but dragging forbort into your argument didn't help. You may have lost the purple glasses, it just seems like you've picked up a few feathers along the way.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

If Muzzin’s your best defenseman, you’re in trouble. If Muzzin is your second-best defenseman, you’ve got a great top pair. If Muzzin is your third-best defenseman, you probably have one of the best defenses in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad