Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Edmundson 4 years x 3.8 million

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
My main gripe with Chychrun was that he is injury prone, but instead we got another guy who is injury prone and a whole lot worse.
Wrong comparison… wrong type of player, wrong profile, wrong box. Chychrun you only get if you want to move Clarke or Spence.

Reactions: Trash Panda

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Wrong comparison… wrong type of player, wrong profile, wrong box. Chychrun you only get if you want to move Clarke or Spence.
The only comparison I made is that they share a flaw in being injury prone. I'm not convinced either player is a fit but the choice is easy if I had to pick one.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The only comparison I made is that they share a flaw in being injury prone. I'm not convinced either player is a fit but the choice is easy if I had to pick one.
The point is it’s not just a straight choice, for a start we don’t need another offensive defence man. Signing Chychrun would mean Clarke is still in the AHL it would otherwise throw the balance off. The spot Edmundson is taking is that of a 3rd pair physical guy that will fight. Sure there is a valid debate over whether he was the best of that type available by Chychrun certainly doesn’t fit the bill.

One of the biggest bitches has been that roster construction was not right and that the team was too soft and passive. The players that have come in are intended to address that, we can debate to what degree that has been successful. Chychrun is a separate discussion because we’d be having to have to move out a LD or have a top 4 LD on the 3rd pair AND we either trade Spence or put Clarke in the AHL, playing Burroughs on the 3rd pair because the balance would be off. We do any variation of that and it’s a major bitchfest.

Remember people wanted to pay the price for Chychrun when AZ were trading him. Not doing that deal was a good decision by Blake and I’m glad he’s not done it this time as I’d rather have Clarke bringing the offence. Chychrun is soft, playing a PLD level of intensity in his D work.

The construction of the roster, role wise is FINALLY closer to what we needed. Younger guys will get to grow into roles this year and hopefully become major factors. Unfortunately it’s not tge start of the 2021-22 season.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I disagree, mostly because Edmundson isn't very good at all. I'm yet to be convinced he'll be a tangible upgrade on Englund. I get what you're saying in regards to a balanced lineup but he's gonna be a terrible anchor for Spence or Clarke to drag around for the next four years. Chychrun-Doughty/Anderson-Spence/Gavrikov-Clarke looks way better to me and supports the young guys with a quality partner.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
The point is it’s not just a straight choice, for a start we don’t need another offensive defence man. Signing Chychrun would mean Clarke is still in the AHL it would otherwise throw the balance off. The spot Edmundson is taking is that of a 3rd pair physical guy that will fight. Sure there is a valid debate over whether he was the best of that type available by Chychrun certainly doesn’t fit the bill.

One of the biggest bitches has been that roster construction was not right and that the team was too soft and passive. The players that have come in are intended to address that, we can debate to what degree that has been successful. Chychrun is a separate discussion because we’d be having to have to move out a LD or have a top 4 LD on the 3rd pair AND we either trade Spence or put Clarke in the AHL, playing Burroughs on the 3rd pair because the balance would be off. We do any variation of that and it’s a major bitchfest.

Remember people wanted to pay the price for Chychrun when AZ were trading him. Not doing that deal was a good decision by Blake and I’m glad he’s not done it this time as I’d rather have Clarke bringing the offence. Chychrun is soft, playing a PLD level of intensity in his D work.

The construction of the roster, role wise is FINALLY closer to what we needed. Younger guys will get to grow into roles this year and hopefully become major factors. Unfortunately it’s not tge start of the 2021-22 season.
Chychrun- Doughty
Anderson- Spence
Gavrikov - Clarke.
Boroughs

Mobile Defence. Each mobile defender paired with a strong defensive player. Fighter is a forward. Boroughs there for depth.

Edit:

I should add I don’t think our forwards will be scoring, that’s why we need defense to put some in

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Chychrun- Doughty
Anderson- Spence
Gavrikov - Clarke.
Boroughs

Mobile Defence. Each mobile defender paired with a strong defensive player. Fighter is a forward. Boroughs there for depth.

Edit:

I should add I don’t think our forwards will be scoring, that’s why we need defense to put some in
Then there is no shutdown pair, which for me is needed. Doughty and Anderson can do that job. I guess it’s just a philosophical view on roster, construction. I do see where you are coming from.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Still don’t like the term or the AAV but…

In the regular season in 22-23 Edmundson was on the 2nd best pair for Montreal looking at XG… only a smudge behind the top pair. Yes,I know it’s not the only thing to look at but it’s over 200 mins samples I’m looking, at so a decent sample size.

In 23-24 he was on Washington’s middling pair playing over 200 mins in XG (3 of 5 pairs playing over 200 mins). His XG in Toronto was ‘meh’ but it’s a small sample size and the Leafs are as bad as us in the Play-offs.

He’s a defensive guy that is ok at getting shots through. His hits are good and blocked shots are also. I prefer to compare with teammates because they play the same system, coach, forwards so it’s apples to apples. So compared to his team mates he was decent.

I noted in Washington Jensen was a drag defensively but with Edmundson it was less of an issue, Edmundson himself doesn’t seem to drag a pair down.

So no I don’t like the contract but he probably does improve our bottom pair and likely the PK. He will certainly protect the crease which was a huge issue for us. I think a lot will depend on his health.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Since all we can go by is what Ottawa got, which veteran NHL defenseman was going to Ottawa for Chychrun?

Chychrun- Doughty
Anderson- Spence
Gavrikov - Clarke

Why think this is what happens? Because it makes Kings management look dumb again? Doughty isn't going anywhere. Not trading Clarke for Chychrun. Gavrikov has a NMC and isn't going to Ott. Maybe the Sens take Spence, but it would've been him or Anderson. If we're trying to figure out what a trade might look like. Can't throw a random F in there, since a F wasn't involved in the deal. The closest asset the Kings have from the deal that happened is Anderson.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If he DOES improve our bottom pair it's because Englund was that bad after the turn of the year.

There's no reason Edmundson shouldn't have a better showing here in more controlled minutes with an excellent, emerging partner. It's still a mindboggling signing of a guy who has had 'meh, ok' results on pisspoor teams.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
It's weird that people still want Chychrun. After PLD you'd think folks would be wary of falling in love with the idea of a player instead of the player. He's been one of those guys Kings fans have been pining over for years and at this point it's like "hey he's a cheap option now we can get the guy I wanted four years ago."

Yeah, there's a reason why he was cheap to get. It sounds like WAS ownership and what they're saying about PLD. THIS time it will be different. I mean, the guy was a -30 with 60% ozone starts last year. Yeesh.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If he DOES improve our bottom pair it's because Englund was that bad after the turn of the year.

There's no reason Edmundson shouldn't have a better showing here in more controlled minutes with an excellent, emerging partner. It's still a mindboggling signing of a guy who has had 'meh, ok' results on pisspoor teams.
I agree but I am just trying to separate the contract from the expectations and role. I think if healthy he’s a big upgrade over Englund because the first part of the season the team was playing well, our expectations of Englund were low and he played the best hockey of his career. I doubt we’d see a repeat. So if Edmundson isn’t an upgrade it’s a huge problem in terms of play and the contract (which is overpayment).

The problem is that already on this board every little thing he doesn’t do perfectly, will be torn apart over. He will not be given any latitude and the first giveaway will be the end of the world and the future of the team is an even bigger disaster than we thought. It’s easy to predict.

Don’t get me wrong, this team isn’t winning a cup but it is better balanced and removing the shitshow that was PLD is definitely ‘addition by subtraction’. Clarke for Roy should be a net gain also as he will bring offence and Roy’s D was over rated. He did some stuff well but he was bad on transition, gave the puck away for fun and his net coverage was awful. So I think there’s a good chance this team is better although it rests on the shoulders of QB.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
*Trying to be optimistic*... I think there's a world where it could work out (might be coping lol)

Edmundson needs to block shots like a mad man, hit, and be at least reasonably solid defensively. Playing with either Clarke or Spence should make his job extra simple - Just get the puck to your d partner as much as physically possible and don't get absolutely walked/burned by other team's forwards.

Personally, I'm starting to think they should pair Edmundson with Spence instead of Clarke. Spence is a little more developed/experienced and a bit more responsible defensively - While still being a good puck moving d man. Then you can pair Clarke, who's a bit more raw but has more offensive upside, with Gavrikov who is much more steady defensively than Edmundson.

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Edmundson - Spence

You're also setting Clarke up for top 4 minutes... This guy could legit put up 50+ points next year if they actually put him in a top 4 role - We know he's that gifted offensively. Adding a 50+ point defenseman is nothing to scoff at (although admittedly I'm getting ahead of myself there, Clarke needs to prove he can do that).

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
There's something comically Kings about the fact that the guy they got to add "Toughness and grit" gets injured as often as @Lt Dan misses his legs.
What I really miss are the hookers that tasted like cigarettes

1720714960838.png

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Chychrun is a horrible idea for the way this roster is constructed.

Or for any roster with serious aspirations of winning playoff games.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So Blake brought in safety blankets and overpaid for them. Be it for taxes in Cali or the price of housing for our players living the beach life.

Jeannot protects the Turcotte’s and Thomas’s

Foegele helps add grit to the middle 6. I like him on either Byfield and Fiala’s line or with Danault and Moore.

Edmundson is a massive overpay but that mineybstarts being recouped everytime he bails Clarke out on a pinch up the ice or after the whistle stops play but not Clarke’s mouth.

If there is a positive after this offseason, we wont have to watch our players be clowned and pushed all over the ice.

We finally have a few policemen in the team and dont have to rely on a #7 dman to try and play above his head and cover everyone’s backs.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So Blake brought in safety blankets and overpaid for them. Be it for taxes in Cali or the price of housing for our players living the beach life.

Jeannot protects the LEWIS'S AND FIALAS

Foegele helps add grit to the top line. I like him on either Byfield and Fiala’s line or with Danault and Moore.

Edmundson is a massive overpay but that mineybstarts being recouped everytime he bails

If there is a positive after this offseason, we wont have to watch our players be clowned and pushed all over the ice because they won't make the playoffs

We finally have a few policemen in the team and dont have to rely on a #7 dman to try and play above his head and cover everyone’s backs because he'll be playing as a #4 dman

sorry I had to :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad