Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Disagree, a “solid” 2c is a failure at the number 5 pick. The implication is you need a top 3 pick to get a top line player. Let alone #1 D, will mean Kings need to tank for 2-3 more years.

LoL, cease the "debbie-downer" mentality already!!!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Disagree, a “solid” 2c is a failure at the number 5 pick. The implication is you need a top 3 pick to get a top line player. Let alone #1 D, will mean Kings need to tank for 2-3 more years.

That’s the reality of the draft. Sometimes you get lucky and draft a superstar outside of the top ten. It’s rare, but it does happen. Turcotte could very well develop into a bonafide top 15-20 center in the league, but I wouldn’t count on it.

The reality is the Kings won two Cups with a #2 overall top defenseman in Doughty, and a center in Kopitar who fell to us because of his nationality. Kopitar should have been a top three pick in 2005.

So yeah, if you want superstars, you want to draft in the top three.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
That’s the reality of the draft. Sometimes you get lucky and draft a superstar outside of the top ten. It’s rare, but it does happen. Turcotte could very well develop into a bonafide top 15-20 center in the league, but I wouldn’t count on it.

The reality is the Kings won two Cups with a #2 overall top defenseman in Doughty, and a center in Kopitar who fell to us because of his nationality. Kopitar should have been a top three pick in 2005.

So yeah, if you want superstars, you want to draft in the top three.
You really undercut your own argument with the comments about Kopitar. Shoulda coulda woulda. Only in retrospect does anyone think Kopitar should have gone #3. Let's not forget the nine teams after Pittsburgh that passed on Kopitar too.

How many superstar players today weren't picked in the top 3? Just off the top of my head, Pettersson, Pavelski, Benn, Bergeron, Marchand, Price, Lundqvist, Gaudreau. I could go on, but you get the point.

There are going to be great players drafted in the top three, and there are going to be great players drafted outside the top three. You can't oversimplify it.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Top line players are picked and DEVELOPED. Just being drafted early doesn't make you a top line player.

IF Turcotte develops into a high quality center who produces ~60 points a season AND plays an excellent 2-way game, AND becomes a leader, that's a big win. If the Kings get a Bergeron/Toews/O'Reilly clone, how is that not a win?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Top line players are picked and DEVELOPED. Just being drafted early doesn't make you a top line player.

IF Turcotte develops into a high quality center who produces ~60 points a season AND plays an excellent 2-way game, AND becomes a leader, that's a big win. If the Kings get a Bergeron/Toews/O'Reilly clone, how is that not a win?

As long as he shuts down NYR's 100-point franchise center Kappo Kakko in the 2023 Stanley Cup, it's all good and I won't bitch about the lottery anymore :sarcasm:

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Health permitting, this will be a busy WJC for Kings fans:

USA: Turcotte, Kaliyev(?)
SWE: Bjornfot, Fagemo
CAN: Thomas(?), Spence (unlikely)
CZE: Parik
FIN: Nousiainen

Kupari is eligible, but I think we'd all be shocked if he were allowed to go.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

The Kings did let Kempe go when he was on the Reign, but when he came back his game was a mess and he didn't score a point for weeks. Kempe loved that free wheeling open ice in the WJC tourney and did not adjust well returning. If I remember right, he was even scratched a game or two for failure to commit defensively.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Just watched the first period of the Finland/SUI game and Nousiainen was extremely impressive.

Skates well. Very poised with the puck. Made smart decisions under pressure. Moved the puck really well on the PP.

He and Thomson controlled the game when they were on the ice.

Nice 4th round pick. Has a bit of Sandin in his game.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I absolutely believe the Kings will want Kupari to play in the WJC. I'm sure he will want to go as well.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Turcotte with a goal and assist in the World Junior Summer Showcase versus as USA Team Blue defeted Sweden 4-2. Fagemo had a goal as well.

Kaliyev and Nousiainen were scoreless, as USA Team White beat Finland 3-2.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What players do you guys expect will play at the rookie tourny in early september?

Lot of kings prospects im lookin forward to seeing live?

Any of you plannin on attending?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What players do you guys expect will play at the rookie tourny in early september?

Can't post an expected lineup at the moment but I am conducting a poll on this forum showing all players in the Kings org at the moment who are calder eligible.

If you go to that list and pull out the NCAA players (Turcotte, Hults, Hrenak) and have a big question mark next to Vilardi, it should give you a good picture.

Otherwise I'll try to post something later if nobody else beats me to it.

Probably won't be able to make the tourney, unfortunately :(

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

That's a good question, they have a lot of guys who may go back to Europe (most notably Bjornfot).

But if I had to guess among guys with limited to no AHL time: Thomas, Kaliyev, Durzi, Phillips, Anderson-Dolan(?), Kupari(?), I'm sure there will be others of note, we'll see.

Just a wild guess about the noteworthy guys.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Canada won 4-1. Dach was the star of the game with 3 pts. He seemed to team up with Veleno a lot on the scoreboard so I would assume he took over the 1C during the game from Thomas.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Canada vs Finland on NHL network right now. Akil Thomas vs Kim Nousiainen

And USA vs Sweden later on at 1pm. Alex Turcotte vs Tobias Bjornfot also on NHL network

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Well defense is optional for Canada in the 1st period :laugh: 4-0 down within 15 minutes. Akil Thomas took a bad penalty that lead to Finland's 3rd goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad