Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
All those who docked Caufield are going to look real dumb in the not too distant future, his shot is ridiculous

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm still glad the Kings took Turcotte 5th overall. Caufield's shot is filthy, but I like Turcotte's overall game more.

Kaliyev is a nice consolation prize.

The other day the TSN interviewer asked Zegras "Who's a better shooter, Kaliyev or Caufield?" He's like, "I dunno. I'm lucky to play with both of them. I can't pick."

Clearly it's a diplomatic answer, but when the Kings get one of the most complete forwards along with the forward with the second best shot in the draft, I'd take that over the best shot in the draft and whatever else may have fallen to the Kings with the draft undeniably changing.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Finally got to catch some of the WJSS today, and it did not disappoint. Great hockey being played, with an emphasis on pace and skill.

A few fragmented thoughts on LAK prospects from today's incomplete viewings:

Fagemo

Hard, accurate shot to go along with great wheels. Both of these attributes were on full display today, with Fagemo knotting a hat-trick. He also showed good hockey sense on his second goal, where, after a Finland d-zone turnover, he made a heady play by driving to the net and buried one upon receiving an excellent pass.

Nousiainen

Disappointing day for Kim. He's a good skater who likes to take initiative by carrying the puck into the zone, but he tried to do a bit too much in several instances today, resulting either in a turnover or broken-up rush. On one of Sweden's goals (Fagemo's first), Kim's D partner Lassi Thomson made an ill-advised pinch in the zone, and Kim picked up the threat just a bit too late, which allowed Fagemo to break in all alone after receiving a great pass from Hallander.

Bjornfot

I'm generally partial towards defensemen who are puck-movers first, but Bjornfot's game really appeals to me. He's a good skater who has a really active stick, and also knows when to use his body to disrupt possession along the boards. When Bjornfot does have the puck, he's decisive and makes a great first pass. His skating also allows him to join the rush and skate the puck into the zone and on goal, which he did a couple of times today. He and Broberg will be relied upon a lot at the upcoming WJC.

Kaliyev

I already knew about Kaliyev's shot and touch around the net, so I opted to focus on other attributes of his game. One thing that surprised me is that he's a really good playmaker. I know some were making the Toffoli comparison, but he's a much better playmaker than Toffoli was at the same age, and he's also bigger.

Two things were clearly lacking in Kaliyev's game, however. One is that he doesn't know how to effectively use his body to gain leverage on other players. On the play which led to his penalty in the first period, he engaged in a 50-50 (or maybe it was 30-70, can't remember with certainty) puck battle, and he was easily thrown off the puck and lost his balance. He then tried to make up for it by extending toward the puck with his stick, missing, then tripping the Canadian player. I'm sure this concern will be alleviated as Kaliyev becomes stronger and more comfortable and confident in his body. There were also a couple of instances where Kaliyev could've shown more jam in nearby puck battles, but this is more nit-picky and less of a glaring weakness, in my opinion, compared to his current physical game. Kaliyev did show an active stick on several occasions, though.

With all this said, Kaliyev is clearly a dangerous offensive player, even if he's not a possession-type, penalty-drawing waterbug. I definitely see shades of Thomas Vanek.

Dudas

For a smaller guy, Dudas definitely doesn't shy away from the hard areas. He was constantly in an around the net and engaged in board battles. He was the fourth-line RW but had his name called a lot. He was also used when Canada pulled their goaltender late in the game, which was undoubtedly a good sign for Aidan. With that said, I'd imagine he's a long-shot to make the team. He won't be a top-six guy in the NHL, but his tenacity, puck skills, and shiftiness will surely be valued as he rises the professional ranks.

Turcotte

Turcotte's speed, doggedness, and hockey sense made him stand out today. On Caufield's goal (which was absolutely ridiculous), Turcotte made a patient play behind the net, where he took an extra second after a defender feigned pressure, then peeled a perfect pass to Caufield, who roofed it. Those two will be really fun to watch at Wisco this year. Turcotte also used his agility to draw a penalty in the first period. Sandpaper and silk, as USA U-18 coach John Wroblewski put it.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tourney totals:

Turcotte 5 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, +4
Kaliyev 5 games, 4 goals, 1 assist +2
Dudas 3 games, 0 goals, 3 assists, +3
Thomas 3 games, 1 goal, 2 assists, +2
Fagemo 4 games, 4 goals, 0 assists, +2
Bjornfot 5 games, 0 goals, 2 assists, -3
Nousiainen 5 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, -2

Reactions: Basilisk

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wonder what kind of curve JAD uses...that release is suuuper quick and sneaky, pops off his stick seemingly early every time

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes Fagemo tore up the Swedish junior league last season.

Got a chance to play with the men and scored 20 goals in the SEL as well.

How many prospects of the 2018 draft had a better season than him ?

I fully understand LA traded up to grab him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes Fagemo tore up the Swedish junior league last season.

Got a chance to play with the men and scored 20 goals in the SEL as well.

How many prospects of the 2018 draft had a better season than him ?

I fully understand LA traded up to grab him.

10 goals, 14 points, 8 games...they were like "yeah enough is enough, go play with men" :laugh:

Reactions: Frolov 6'3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad