Kings News: Kings at Dodger Stadium in 2013-2014 - Done Deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LOL imagine a Ducks team in the Legends game.

Paul Kariya-Steve Rucchin-Todd Krygier
Troy Loney -Bob Corkum -Terry Yake
Mike LeClerc-Ted Donato-Joe Sacco
Stu Grimson-J.F. Jomphe-Todd Ewen

Oleg Tverdovsky-Niclas Havelid
Bill Houlder-Dave Karpa
Randy Ladoucer-Jason Marshall

Guy Hebert-Mikhail Shtalenkov

Have them go up against a team of 90s-00s era Kings players who were here to play against the Ducks throughout that time frame.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Also, I almost forgot. This is another proof that the Kings winning the Cup has been a bigger deal than the Ducks winning it in '07. "The first Cup in California BLAH BLAH BLAH" What did that do for the hockey market on the West Coast? NOTHING. Now look at us. We win the Cup, we get an outdoor hockey game 2 years later. Plus, I believe we were the first team not named Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Rangers, or Boston to be on NHL on NBC.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Also, I almost forgot. This is another proof that the Kings winning the Cup has been a bigger deal than the Ducks winning it in '07. "The first Cup in California BLAH BLAH BLAH" What did that do for the hockey market on the West Coast? NOTHING. Now look at us. We win the Cup, we get an outdoor hockey game 2 years later. Plus, I believe we were the first team not named Detroit, Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, NY Rangers, or Boston to be on NHL on NBC.

How about Santa margarita just winning the national championships ? They came from the ducks high school hockey league . Seems like a big deal to west coast hockey to me.

Captain Mittens*

I am going to clone myself so I can go to this twice.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I'm not sure there's enough here to warrant them going with this jersey, but I thought I would mock it up anyway.
LABlades_Kings_zpsd6f798ff.jpg

That looks pretty good. I agree there isn't much to it, but if they want to go retro and wear something unique, they don't have much to work with. The Forum Blue and Golds, they already wear on Legends Night (and are rumoured to be the 3rds next year), the most recent 3rds were claimed to be retired forever. That leaves the Gretzky era jerseys to wear. As much as there is plenty of history to it, I would guess that most fans that have the disposable income to buy a jersey, already own a Chevy logo jersey.

I suppose they could also design a jersey for the game. They could do something similar to what the Tampa Bay Rays did and wear faux throwbacks. Take the general design of the 30s or 40s and make it a Kings jersey. Based on LA pro sports teams in the 40s and 50s, the jersey would be blue and white (similar to the Lakers' retros) and would probably feature Los Angeles in script on the front (like the Brooklyn throwbacks, the Dodgers wear).

I hope for the sake of this game, the Kings were to play a team with history. As much as the Ducks might be a good opponent from a local standpoint, there isn't a heck of a lot of history to work with. This isn't exactly a slight against the organization, it just doesn't have the history of even the Coyotes (if you include their time in Winnipeg). It would be amusing if the game was against the Yotes and they wore Nordiques jerseys because they will end up there yet.

Since I've never seen a game at Dodger Stadium and I'm assuming like all games in a ballpark, the rink will run from third to first, what would be the best seats for this? I'm thinking behind the plate about 25 rows back would be the best seats. I guess it also depends whether they install bleachers right next to the rink or not.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
How about Santa margarita just winning the national championships ? They came from the ducks high school hockey league . Seems like a big deal to west coast hockey to me.

Might be a big deal to Southern California, but I didn't even know there was a National Championship for US High School hockey. So I'm not sure that did it, plus I'm not sure that was a result of the Ducks winning the Cup. Assuming most kids start playing hockey at 5 years old (to be good enough for something like this), that would put the Seniors at age 5 in 2001. I would think this was somewhat due to the Olympics in 2002, when the Americans played for gold.

The fact the Kings are getting mileage out of the Cup win is partially due to it being LA and not Anaheim. Anaheim is fairly unknown outside of Southern California, I work with clients who travel and when I ask them where they are going, it is usually LA when they're referring to Disneyland. Anaheim just isn't as marketable as Los Angeles. That isn't intended as a slight to Anaheim. I grew up in Saskatoon, where the NHL, including the Canadians teams felt that St. Louis was more marketable than Saskatoon. So I understand these realities.

The other reason is that AEG owns the Kings. Nothing against the Samuelis, but they don't have the clout that AEG does. Had Disney continued to own the Ducks, I figure they would have got some of the mileage out of their Cup win. But it is telling when they win the Cup and they can't even have a parade because their own city had prior commitments.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
If this happens ut is because the league wants to get back some of the money they lost this year. They think the Kings have the ability to get that money for them.
4 outdoor games next year screams money grab.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The thing with the Sharks is twofold, a) the NHL seems very against acknowledging the WHA (check the history of the Oilers and you'll see they started in 1979, not 1972. It isn't the ABA/NBA or AFL/NFL style merger) and b) the Sharks existed during the Kings existence. I was thinking you give a nod to LA's previous hockey history.

You could even go farther back and dust off LA Millionaires or LA Angels jerseys from the California Hockey League in the 30s.

If it is LA/Anaheim, you could also go silly and wear Roller Hockey International jerseys:

la95gh.jpg

155.jpg

I would love it if they found a way to work roller hockey into all of this. Inline is part of our hockey heritage here, it was big in SoCal, and has played a crucial role in the development of hockey in the region IMO.

RonSwanson*

That looks pretty good. I agree there isn't much to it, but if they want to go retro and wear something unique, they don't have much to work with. The Forum Blue and Golds, they already wear on Legends Night (and are rumoured to be the 3rds next year), the most recent 3rds were claimed to be retired forever. That leaves the Gretzky era jerseys to wear. As much as there is plenty of history to it, I would guess that most fans that have the disposable income to buy a jersey, already own a Chevy logo jersey.

I suppose they could also design a jersey for the game. They could do something similar to what the Tampa Bay Rays did and wear faux throwbacks. Take the general design of the 30s or 40s and make it a Kings jersey. Based on LA pro sports teams in the 40s and 50s, the jersey would be blue and white (similar to the Lakers' retros) and would probably feature Los Angeles in script on the front (like the Brooklyn throwbacks, the Dodgers wear).

I hope for the sake of this game, the Kings were to play a team with history. As much as the Ducks might be a good opponent from a local standpoint, there isn't a heck of a lot of history to work with. This isn't exactly a slight against the organization, it just doesn't have the history of even the Coyotes (if you include their time in Winnipeg). It would be amusing if the game was against the Yotes and they wore Nordiques jerseys because they will end up there yet.

Since I've never seen a game at Dodger Stadium and I'm assuming like all games in a ballpark, the rink will run from third to first, what would be the best seats for this? I'm thinking behind the plate about 25 rows back would be the best seats. I guess it also depends whether they install bleachers right next to the rink or not.

They could wear the gold (home) version of the purple and gold unis. That would be an interesting change.

Ducksgo*

@icemancometh: Announced 17,494 in the house at Honda Center.

That was last night. That's pretty much a sellout. I think we can easily sell out an outdoor game at dodger stadium being Ducks vs Kings. The NHL gave you an outdoor game due to expanding the Southern California fan base. What better team to do that other than the ducks?

RonSwanson*

@icemancometh: Announced 17,494 in the house at Honda Center.

That was last night. That's pretty much a sellout. I think we can easily sell out an outdoor game at dodger stadium being Ducks vs Kings. The NHL gave you an outdoor game due to expanding the Southern California fan base. What better team to do that other than the ducks?

About half the teams in the league?

No one really cares about the Ducks outside of OC.

And the Ducks couldn't even sell out a home game vs LA yesterday.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I was hoping that they'd wear the old LA Monarchs jerseys from their SCHL days... My grandfather's brother (on my father's side) played for the Monarchs for three seasons under an assumed name so he could keep his amateur status while playing baseball for UCLA...

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If the Ducks are playing in it, then this clearly isn't going to be a Winter Classic type event. We will probably wear our purple uniforms and maybe the Ducks will wear their regulars uniforms.. Because they can't wear the old Mighty Ducks uniforms.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Gretzky era jerseys vs. original Mighty Ducks jerseys makes the most sense IMO.

Ducksgo*

Lol that's like me saying no one really cares about the kings outside of LA. Good argument man...

Ducksgo*

The original Mighty Ducks jerseys are lot better looking the current Ducks jerseys.

Gotta agree if its Ducks vs Kings I'm hoping for a classic jersey night. I know you guys have classic nights, but we don't. Would be awesome to see the classics come back

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

They didn't sell out because they hadn't scheduled a flashmob that night.

Flashmobs equals butts in the seats equals dollars!

Mighty.

RonSwanson*

Ugly jersey jokes aside, why not?

I'm guessing it's a Disney thing, but their current jerseys have the Donald Duck goalie mask on the shoulders. So there's gotta be some kind of agreement or understanding there.

2zgry12.gif

For the record, I think L.A. will either wear their Gretzky-era unis or something like this:

(the gold jersey)

1howuw.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad