Kings News: Kings acquire Tanner Jeanott from the Lightning

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Surprised no one has mentioned Faber yet. The main piece for Toffoli.
Just to set the record straight, they did not acquire Faber in the Toffoli deal.

In a vacuum, the Toffoli return sucks. They used the pick received in the deal to trade up to get Faber at the draft, along with a 4th round pick.

That is great use of the pick acquired in the trade and is a home run.

They they blew it.

But you are correct to mention Faber as an example of a great 2nd round pick. Under Blake, however, he is the only one that is panning out so far as an example of "doing great in Round 2", although I am still a Kaliyev guy.

Reactions: yankeeking

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
He has scored 13 goals over the last 2 seasons, but somehow he is going to get 10-15 goals for LA?

Complaints were not all about production, His play sucked all over the ice.

Can he rebound? Sure, why not.

Was a 2nd rounder over payment? It sure looks that way.

Is it a stretch to expect him to be anything other than a 4th liner? I think so.

People seem to disregard the fact that the last 50% of his time in Nashville was not great. Then, his time in Tampa was not great. Fans of both Nashville and Tampa have had negative things to say in regards to his play. His stats back up these comments / claims. He was scratched from playoff games in Tampa over the last 2 years, that raises questions.

I get that we all hope he is a good/really good player for the Kings. I just fail to see how anyone can expect him to be anything other than the player he as been the last 2 years (plus the last 1/4 of the 3rd year). Change of scenery does not make a lot of sense ( by just pointing out time in Tampa) when the guy was really good for his first 75 games in Nashville, but not so good in the last 75 games playing in the same exact scenery for the same exact team.

I just do not get this move with the 2nd being included.
Let me try and make this simple and clear enough for people to understand.

His style of play was not the same as that of the Lightning. While Cooper likes to have a player like Jeannot around ensure the more skilled players have room to play and not have to worry about defending themselves, those above him in the organization do not. The Lightning asked him to play a style that he does not have the skating ability to play.

Was the second and the fourth too much; I would say yes. Tampa fans were looking for a fourth back for him, so the second was icing on the cake. The more important question is did the Kings did a player like him to keep the rest of the Western Conference honest? Again, my answer would be yes.

Before we pass judgement one way or the other, we should allow him to at least get on the ice in a King's uniform and see how much he has or has not improved over the off season. A couple of games will not be enough to judge his play also, given he is again having to fit into a new system.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

His style of play was not the same as that of the Lightning. While Cooper likes to have a player like Jeannot around ensure the more skilled players have room to play and not have to worry about defending themselves, those above him in the organization do not. The Lightning asked him to play a style that he does not have the skating ability to play.

Was the second and the fourth too much; I would say yes. Tampa fans were looking for a fourth back for him, so the second was icing on the cake. The more important question is did the Kings did a player like him to keep the rest of the Western Conference honest? Again, my answer would be yes.

Before we pass judgement one way or the other, we should allow him to at least get on the ice in a King's uniform and see how much he has or has not improved over the off season. A couple of games will not be enough to judge his play also, given he is again having to fit into a new system.
In an attempt to cut to the bottom line of my issue with the trade, how many hits is he going to be able line up and lay into the opposing team while he is standing flat-footed in the neutral zone?

Because we know the Kings aren't moving away from the 1-3-1, so how much chaos can he create through his physical play if he isn't able to forecheck and grind in the corners.

Just on paper he doesn't seem like a fit in LA either.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He has scored 13 goals over the last 2 seasons, but somehow he is going to get 10-15 goals for LA?

Complaints were not all about production, His play sucked all over the ice.

Can he rebound? Sure, why not.

Was a 2nd rounder over payment? It sure looks that way.

Is it a stretch to expect him to be anything other than a 4th liner? I think so.

People seem to disregard the fact that the last 50% of his time in Nashville was not great. Then, his time in Tampa was not great. Fans of both Nashville and Tampa have had negative things to say in regards to his play. His stats back up these comments / claims. He was scratched from playoff games in Tampa over the last 2 years, that raises questions.

I get that we all hope he is a good/really good player for the Kings. I just fail to see how anyone can expect him to be anything other than the player he as been the last 2 years (plus the last 1/4 of the 3rd year). Change of scenery does not make a lot of sense ( by just pointing out time in Tampa) when the guy was really good for his first 75 games in Nashville, but not so good in the last 75 games playing in the same exact scenery for the same exact team.

I just do not get this move with the 2nd being included.
My one hope for him is that it's a contract year.

If he wants to salvage his NHL career he needs to play well this year.

The Kings do want 15 goals from him which means he'll be in a top 9 role. The Kings also think getting a 2nd round pick won't be hard (I disagree).

symbology

Jun 17, 2009

His play declined while on the Preds. The last 20 regular season games of 2022 he had 1G/1A and I think had the worst +/- on the team during that stretch. Then during the 22/23 season his next 55 games with Nashville were not much better and he was traded at the deadline of that year. Many people seem to want to ignore this and never accept it. They want to claim that his issues were all just a problem with "fit" on Tampa and that he is a better fit for the Kings. I am sure he will be a better fit for the Kings, but he was also a good fit in Nashville.

I agree with much of what you say. I am just trying to temper excitement that the Kings somehow are getting the Jeannot that played his first 75 games in Nashville. It is more than likely teh Kings end up with the player that played his last 75 games in Nashville, or even worse, the Jeannot that played in Tampa. Who, was probable the same player, just not used as well.

Again, I agree with you, we need to wait and see. I just read to much that the expectation is the Kings are getting the pretty good version of Jeannot, but that player has not been seen since March of 2022.

symbology

Jun 17, 2009
In an attempt to cut to the bottom line of my issue with the trade, how many hits is he going to be able line up and lay into the opposing team while he is standing flat-footed in the neutral zone?

Because we know the Kings aren't moving away from the 1-3-1, so how much chaos can he create through his physical play if he isn't able to forecheck and grind in the corners.

Just on paper he doesn't seem like a fit in LA either.
People watch some of the highlight reels, well all of them, that show these big hits, the fights. Those are far and few between. The fear is he is not a very capable player overall.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA

His play declined while on the Preds. The last 20 regular season games of 2022 he had 1G/1A and I think had the worst +/- on the team during that stretch. Then during the 22/23 season his next 55 games with Nashville were not much better and he was traded at the deadline of that year. Many people seem to want to ignore this and never accept it. They want to claim that his issues were all just a problem with "fit" on Tampa and that he is a better fit for the Kings. I am sure he will be a better fit for the Kings, but he was also a good fit in Nashville.

I agree with much of what you say. I am just trying to temper excitement that the Kings somehow are getting the Jeannot that played his first 75 games in Nashville. It is more than likely teh Kings end up with the player that played his last 75 games in Nashville, or even worse, the Jeannot that played in Tampa. Who, was probable the same player, just not used as well.

Again, I agree with you, we need to wait and see. I just read to much that the expectation is the Kings are getting the pretty good version of Jeannot, but that player has not been seen since March of 2022.
Fair enough. I also hope the Kings get the early Jeannot and not the one we have seen since such a promising start to his career.
On a side note, with the signing of Shawn Element, the Kings and Reign have the NHL and AHL tough guys from the Lightning organization last year. Well done.

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I still like the trade and the risk. The Kings moved on from so many forwards in 15 months - Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, PLD, Grundstrom, Lizotte, JAD....7 right there and only have added 2; Jeannot and Foegele.

Signing Edmundson shows they are obviously going with Anderson, Gavrikov and Edmundson on the left and Jeannot is the size, toughness, enforcer, hitter (211 hits last yr in 57 games, way higher than Kings top forward last yr) and the hope he can score 15 goals and 30 assists. I think they are feeling he can play line 3 or 4 and add a dynamic they've lacked. If he's healthy and closer to a role he had his rookie year, that's not a stretch. Sure, even 15 goals and 30 pts is not exciting, but that's a lot more than Lizotte, Grundstrom, JAD, Kupari could ever provide...and not a stretch to approach Iafallo's 35-40.

I think with him getting a fresh start, better ice than he had in TB and the fact he's in a contract year...plus having a second child now - taking a 13%? Pay cut in CA taxes, compared to FL....he';; be motivated. At 27, this is his best chance to have a big year and cash in 3+ million?, 4? year type of deal.

I'm tired of watching the Kings get punked night after night and no one steps up. Ever. That's over. The TB journalist on All the Kings Men (Thank, Jesse) said she noticed if he was on the ice, no one wanted anything to do with him. Edmundson will help as well. Brandt Clarke and Turcotte will benefit from them on the team, as will all players. Jesse - I was kind of surprised the one person you interviewed, commented that enforcer's are not so important today. I was shocked. Not true. (this could have been a Mayor POD...losing track of all the Summer pods) The last 2 years playoffs, the teams that are making Conf Finals, are using thuggery more than the Broad Street Bullies ever did. In terms of cheap shots, after whistle shtt, chopping hands, face punches, slashes, cross checks. Everyone hitting and pushing McDavid if he does nothing. It's now every teams' game plan, Vegas won the cup, as soon as Kolesar hit Tkachuk and injured him. It was over. Games and series can be won, by your toughness and neutralizing the other teams best players.

When Nurse headbutted Danault. I was freaking furious. And no one did anything. I would have so loved to have had Jeannot on the ice then and break that aholes nose.

24 NHL goals in a single season is legit. It's not easy. Everyone wanted Jeannot on their team 3 years ago. I don't think he's regressed that much, Part of the fall is how he was used and having injuries. To expect 20 goals again is pie in the sky. But, if you play him line 3 with Danault and Moore, they'll have some space and have him go to the net. He's tough to move and he can bury pucks. Tips. Redirects. Has a nice, half step, elusive snap shot. I'd certainly giver him some line 3 time, before relegating him to line 4. Although, I bet Turcotte as 4C and Lewis would benefit.
I hope he's pumped and getting in top condition and hungry.

all 24 goals rookie season. lots of tips. some nice redirects, some nice, 15 foot snipes.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
The TB journalist on All the Kings Men (Thank, Jesse) said she noticed if he was on the ice, no one wanted anything to do with him. Edmundson will help as well.

She said she remembered on many occasions where there were be a scrum or words exchanged and Tanner would skate over and the opposing players would immediately shut up and skate away.

Remember this last playoffs where the coaches paired Doughty with Englund because Edmonton was taking runs at Doughty? Cant believe its taken Blake this long to add some grit to the lineup. I really like this signing.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings were at their toughest, in recent years, when they had Kurtis MacDermid and Brendan Lemieux. Having Jeannot, Edmundson, Englund and Burroughs will make them pretty tough also. Though, I doubt Englund makes it to game one.

Jeannot def stirs it up on the ice and does a lot of talking. He can fight the heavies like Reaves though he is more a light heavyweight. The first fight with Reaves was a draw, but the second one he was TKO'd so he really isn't the league of Rempe, Reaves, MacDermid. Jeannot has done some damage to some other middleweights/light heavies like Stillman and Frederic.

If anything, Edmundson can fight the real heavies, he had a great fight with Ross Johnston last year.

One thing you will notice about Jeannot and Edmundson is they always come to the aid of a teammate. ALWAYS.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The Kings were at their toughest, in recent years, when they had Kurtis MacDermid and Brendan Lemieux. Having Jeannot, Edmundson, Englund and Burroughs will make them pretty tough also. Though, I doubt Englund makes it to game one.

Jeannot def stirs it up on the ice and does a lot of talking. He can fight the heavies like Reaves though he is more a light heavyweight. The first fight with Reaves was a draw, but the second one he was TKO'd so he really isn't the league of Rempe, Reaves, MacDermid. Jeannot has done some damage to some other middleweights/light heavies like Stillman and Frederic.

If anything, Edmundson can fight the real heavies, he had a great fight with Ross Johnston last year.

One thing you will notice about Jeannot and Edmundson is they always come to the aid of a teammate. ALWAYS.

7fd1edc4fe92b9ced76e1f30ce90121c.gif

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008

This part is important. There were way too many instances where the Kings were just straight up getting bullied and didn't really have anyone ('cept Englund) for opposing teams to answer to. Seems management saw the same thing and thankfully addressed it. I have extremely low expectations for next year but team toughness isn't a concern. I'd love to see one of Edmonton's dickheads try to headshot anyone now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad