Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
NHL twitter is hysterical.

Holland could not draft and ruined the Oilers but also, losing two of his four first-round picks to offersheets was the crippling blow to the Oilers contention status. Somehow both of these thoughts can exist in the brains of Leafs fans simultaneously.

The Leafs fans in question:

1724282691367.png

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Hard to say anyone is on copium when the Oilers are still likely the favorite to win the cup and one piece away which we have the assets for.
I urge you to take a close look at the Oilers' current defence-core (with Nurse on second-pairing, inevitably) and think harder about if the team is "the favorite to win the cup".

Reactions: Aerrol

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Show me something that NHL executives never release as details. That has never ever occurred. How can I show that?

You don't hear about the teams willing to sign offer sheets, only the ones that are signed, and for obvious reasons.

All we have is what Broberg stated, agent related, and as I'm seeing Andy Strictland reporting on this. As can happen tons of others are retweeting the comment. But you could be right in that it could just be limited people saying this.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. We likely won't know, and for sure we're not going to know what other teams were potentially interested.
I have no doubt that Ferris went full cold call mode, probably even after talking to Armstrong, just to see if there was anybody dumb enough to go higher and I don’t doubt that some GM’s would of shown some level of interest but I’m guessing most or all of those who even could afford it either didn’t think the risk was worth it at that dollar and compensation or they didn’t want to put a target on their back or maybe a combination of both.

I’m interested in owning a Lamborghini, I might even test drive one, doesn’t mean I’d ever put an offer on one.

Seems like a lot of the information on this situation is coming from the same source.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I’ll chock this up as Holland mistake mostly to how it got to this point. Failed or not attempt past negotiations is one part of that blame. The prospects not really wanting to be here in the case of Broberg also on Hollands handling.
I agree. THe kiss-of-Oiler-death for Broberg was when Holland signed Kulak to a long-term, pretty lucrative contract. Nothing against Kulak, who did well (but wasn't good enough to be 2nd pairing), but that just shut out Broberg for another two years or so. And, perhaps understandably, he got pissed and wanted out.

You can also look at it from the other side and say, not unreasonably, that prior to spring 2024 Broberg's play wasn't good enough to justify his having a top-four (or even top-six) role on the club.

But still, I put the blame for this mostly on Holland. He signed Nurse to the ridiculous contract (not entirely his fault as he was only GM for a year and faced a depleted D-roster... but he still did it) and he thought Kulak might be the 2nd-pairing guy (which he wasn't) and thus set Broberg back two years, and thus now we lost a frustrated Broberg.

The major and consistent problem with the Oilers over the past four or five years (remember the Winnipeg series in 2021?) has been the defence-core. Barrie-out and Ekholm-in was one of the few great moves they made, but given Ekholm's age there's a limited warranty on that one.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who stated it?

Show me a quote from one NHL executive who said their team was interested in or did offer sheet Broberg.
There an article on the Athletic with Broberg agent and he said that there were 3 teams that wanted to offer sheet Broberg but had to clear up cap first. STL had the cap but no 2nd and had to convince Dubas to trace it back. He then said he called Holloways agent and proposed to him the double offer sheet from STL. At first Holloway didn’t want to sign it so him and Armstrong contacted Holloway and sold him on it.

I read the article this morning but it goes something like that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Call me petty but I hope Broberg plays so badly next season that the Blues buy him out, he signs a 1 year deal at league minimum the next year and gets sent to the AHL. The season after that he signs a 3 year deal in the Swiss league.

As for Holloway, I feel he was a pawn in all of this and wouldn’t mind seeing him as an Oiler again in the future.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thats one potential solution.
Having a vet NHL player play his off side as opposed to a very young dman still learning the position is an obviously better solution.

Nurse is making $9.25M...why not have him bear the burden of playing on his off side?
Why lay that burden at the feet of a player who hasnt even had a chance to crystalize his game because his AHL experience didnt even allow him to play his natural side enough?
So when did you think Broberg was ready for top 4 minutes?

See, this is where we disagree. I didn't think Broberg was NHL ready, nevermind top 4 NHL ready, the last few seasons until the playoffs and you seem to think he was.

Also, Broberg blossomed in the AHL on his off side so there was some precedent for them to plug him in there and he did well enough on his off side that the Blues wanted to take the risk of giving him the big contract.

I just don't see how the Oilers botched this. The player wasn't ready for the NHL for most of his time here, he then complained when he got sent down even though it was pretty clear that he wasn't ready then he requested a trade because his ego thought that he should have been handed a spot on his strong side on a win now team that had others ahead of him for now instead of waiting his turn then he finally started to show flashes of his potential after a near full season in the AHL in which he flourished further proving that the Oilers made the right decision by marinating him in the AHL. This seems more on the player than the organization, player wasn't NHL ready player then requests trade because he wasn't handed an NHL spot then player signs offer sheet. Seems like the player didn't want to be here anyway and it's not due to the organization screwing with him, he simply wasn't ready for a full time spot until late last season.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Well..I thin ktha t they should have committed him to playing excelusively on the left side in the AHL.
Then you shift a vet over to his off side once Broberg gets to the NHL.
You utilize him in a way that actually helps his development and over the long haul helps the team.

What you dont do is exactly what thyey ended up doing.
This isn’t realistic given the Oilers’ position smack-dab in the middle of a rapidly shrinking cup window and desperately trying to overcome a horrific start. The team played most of the season in a state of constant desperation and with almost zero margin of error. Moving vets around or otherwise tinkering with what was working so well and with so much on the line, simply to give what was at that point a decidedly underwhelming top prospect some sheltered time and space to grow (with all the mistakes, gaffes, and missed assignments that come with) is not a reasonable or rational move for any organization in literal win-now mode. At no point during the season and not until the latter part of playoffs did Broberg demonstrate that he could be a net asset to a NHL team that couldn’t afford to miss a step. I’m genuinely glad that he stepped up in the PO when given the chance and I do believe (notwithwstanding the truly TINY sample size) that he’s arrived - at long last - as a legitimate NHL defenseman, but claims that his personal development needs should have taken precedence over the team’s on-ice success fall completely flat for me.

See, this is where we disagree. I didn't think Broberg was NHL ready, nevermind top 4 NHL ready, the last few seasons until the playoffs and you seem to think he was.

Also, Broberg blossomed in the AHL on his off side so there was some precedent for them to plug him in there and he did well enough on his off side that the Blues wanted to take the risk of giving him the big contract.

I just don't see how the Oilers botched this. The player wasn't ready for the NHL for most of his time here, he then complained when he got sent down even though it was pretty clear that he wasn't ready then he requested a trade because his ego thought that he should have been handed a spot on his strong side on a win now team that had others ahead of him for now instead of waiting his turn then he finally started to show flashes of his potential after a near full season in the AHL in which he flourished further proving that the Oilers made the right decision by marinating him in the AHL. This seems more on the player than the organization, player wasn't NHL ready player then requests trade because he wasn't handed an NHL spot then player signs offer sheet. Seems like the player didn't want to be here anyway and it's not due to the organization screwing with him, he simply wasn't ready for a full time spot until late last season.
This.

There doesn’t have to be a villain in the mix every time something doesn’t turn out our way. Broberg’s development curve didn’t match the team’s rapidly shrinking cup window. It’s unfortunate but it happens, and it doesn’t have to be anyone’s “fault”.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Broberg alone had a pick of 3 or more potential offersheets to sign. He picked one. We rarely hear about the others but in this case Broberg and others have said there were multiple offer sheets.

Just going on whats been stated. If you think its a hoax and only STL was going this route than I disagree, based on whats stated. Did Broberg and his agent lie in your opinion?
I believe it completely. I also tend to believe that offer sheets are much more common than we are made aware of. Most players just want to stay with their original teams though, and the difference in money isn't as large as it was in our case

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
NHL twitter is hysterical.

Holland could not draft and ruined the Oilers but also, losing two of his four first-round picks to offersheets was the crippling blow to the Oilers contention status. Somehow both of these thoughts can exist in the brains of Leafs fans simultaneously.

Some Leafers believed that Hyman was the worst UFA signing in league history. They also think that winning one round deserves a parade and raises for everyone. Special group that lot is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Maybe its Kulak that moves over. Be a little creative here...lol
The point still remains the same.
You do not expect a what essentially amounts to a rookie player to take on the work load of a vet player when your goal is to develop that young/rookie player.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I urge you to take a close look at the Oilers' current defence-core (with Nurse on second-pairing, inevitably) and think harder about if the team is "the favorite to win the cup".

Need to take a bigger picture look than simply looking at the roster today. We will have cap space and assets to acquire a legit top 4 RD at some point this season, potentially making our D as good as it’s been in forever. Some patience will be required in the first few months till we see exactly what we have in Emberson.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This isn’t realistic given the Oilers’ position smack-dab in the middle of a rapidly shrinking cup window and desperately trying to overcome a horrific start. The team played most of the season in a state of constant desperation and with almost zero margin of error. Moving vets around or otherwise tinkering with what was working so well and with so much on the line, simply to give what was at that point a decidedly underwhelming top prospect some sheltered time and space to grow (with all the mistakes, gaffes, and missed assignments that come with) is not a reasonable or rational move for any organization in literal win-now mode. At no point during the season and not until the latter part of playoffs did Broberg demonstrate that he could be a net asset to a NHL team that couldn’t afford to miss a step. I’m genuinely glad that he stepped up in the PO when given the chance and I do believe (notwithwstanding the truly TINY sample size) that he’s arrived - at long last - as a legitimate NHL defenseman, but claims that his personal development needs should have taken precedence over the team’s on-ice success fall completely flat for me.
So the realisitc position is to try and force a young player to play on his off side in the top 4?
Thats exactly what this team did in the playoffs.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Call me petty but I hope Broberg plays so badly next season that the Blues buy him out, he signs a 1 year deal at league minimum the next year and gets sent to the AHL. The season after that he signs a 3 year deal in the Swiss league.

As for Holloway, I feel he was a pawn in all of this and wouldn’t mind seeing him as an Oiler again in the future.
Broberg would have been stupid not to sign that deal. Holloway I just…it’s clear he made his choice with wide open eyes.

I think he thought his dollar value would be low enough that the Oilers would match.

He must have been choked after the Podkolzin deal and then realizing the Oilers passed on him even though they cleared cap space.

If someone wants to remain with a team they don’t sign a poison pill offer sheet to help facilitate another teammate’s departure.

I feel no sympathy for either player nor do I have a desire to see them back.

We’re trying to win a cup and they tried to make that a more difficult endeavour with these contracts.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So the realisitc position is to try and force a young player to play on his off side in the top 4?
Look this would be more of an issue if it’s not something he’s ever done before and we were trying to force it.

He’s played both sides going back to Sweden. He even mentioned it in one of his early camps with us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Look this would be more of an issue if it’s not something he’s ever done before and we were trying to force it.

He’s played both sides going back to Sweden. He even mentioned it in one of his early camps with us.
That doesnt necessarily malke it correct.
An argument could be made that its a compounded error.

In any event I think that this debate has more than run its course.
Hopefully the replacement players...Pod and Emberson...are difference makers.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Broberg would have been stupid not to sign that deal. Holloway I just…it’s clear he made his choice with wide open eyes.

I think he thought his dollar value would be low enough that the Oilers would match.

He must have been choked after the Podkolzin deal and then realizing the Oilers passed on him even though they cleared cap space.

If someone wants to remain with a team they don’t sign a poison pill offer sheet to help facilitate another teammate’s departure.

I feel no sympathy for either player and nor do I have a desire to see them back.

We’re trying to win a cup and they tried to make that a more difficult endeavour with these contracts.

100%. No room for quitters to come back. We will by some miracle find players that will exceed their combined 31 lifetime NHL points, although apparently according to some haters we lost the two biggest cogs on our team.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
And it worked for the most part but context matters. It would be equally unrealistic to expect a coach to pull a goalie while down 3 goals with 5 minutes remaining in some random game in late November. In a PO elimination game, maybe not so much.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Probably blame on both sides. Blame on the player for simply not being good enough to play consistently at the NHL level, and on the team for not trusting him enough to give him more of an opportunity on his preferred side. But it’s a chicken and egg thing. If he showed better in games he likely would have been given a better opportunity. I don’t believe based on his play he ever forced the Oilers into making a permanent spot for him, simply because he was never good enough. But maybe he’s just a slow developer, guess we’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: North

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And it worked for the most part but context matters. It would be equally unrealistic to expect a coach to pull a goalie while down 3 goals with 5 minutes remaining in some random game in late November. In a PO elimination game, maybe not so much.
It worked paritially. That doesnt mean it was the right approach though.
IMO Broberg could have transitioned to the NHL a lot more effectively if the org would have been able to figure out and commit to an actual direction instead of trying to turn a young Dman like Broberg into what amounts to a utility Dman.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Kid never showed he was ready.

I will say I did hate the games where he got like 3 minutes. Just let the kid play. He wasn’t the only one though. I believe Holloway had one shift after making a mistake. Kemp got 1 shift. Lavoie didn’t get much to work with.

I hope we see our prospects get a bit more rope under KK/JJ/SB. But yeah, Broberg never showed he was ready.

Reactions: North

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Probably blame on both sides. Blame on the player for simply not being good enough to play consistently at the NHL level, and on the team for not trusting him enough to give him more of an opportunity on his preferred side. But it’s a chicken and egg thing. If he showed for in games he likely would have been given a better opportunity. I don’t believe based on his play he ever forced the Oilers into making a permanent spot for him, simply because he was never good enough. But maybe he’s just a slow developer, guess we’ll see.
On the bolded I think that it is more on the org than the player.
It feels like a broken record at this point but developing him on his natural side would have in all liklihood expidited his development and made him a better player.
Forcing him to play on his off side doesnt do anything but hinder his development and it showed.

Thats really my point.
Due to the fact that the team was so weak on the right side they thought it best to try and force Broberg to be the solution to that problem.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad