Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire forward Viktor Arvidsson in exchange for two draft picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Even his own kids think he's not very good, as Dustin himself stated that. This should be his last year (don't get the Hoven comment about perhaps signing him another year!)
and I won't bag on his play, as he was stellar and a cornerstone of the Cup years, in which he was captain...gave it his all and only recently has fallen off. It's amazing he's only
recently fallen off, considering the physical play and thousands of hits he dished out.

wait, when did Brown say this would be his last year?

Brown had a great first half of the season and then really slowed down (as did the team). Hopefully LA's prospects and guys they bring in push Brown down the depth chart but I still want him on the team.

Reactions: ShonSaunders

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Brown is completely spent.

Outside of cashing checks that his linemates wrote for the first third of the season, he hovered between worthless & detrimental all year.

Zero physicality, an absolute liability at the defensive blue line on the back check & breakout, losing checks, and a general ability to kill any sort of chance with a fumble were his calling cards all year.

I love brownie, and what he became in the prime years, but he is toast now. Points don’t tell his story.
People said the same thing about Carter.

These vets are all the same. They have to have something to play for.

Reactions: YP44

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
It’s just a crowded house. If you can get him on a two year affordable deal then go for it. Need spots open next year tho for the youngins.

Thinking they make some smaller trades to offset the extra forwards. Wagner for a D, something like the Amadio trade. Luff will be on waivers even if qualified but I don't think he makes the roster.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
People said the same thing about Carter.

These vets are all the same. They have to have something to play for.

I agree. These guys are some of the fiercest competitors in the world. But why sacrifice their bodies to block shots or retrieve pucks when they're fighting for 28th place in the league? There's still a lot of fight left in some of these guys, it's just a shame that we imploded when we did and didn't get to see more of it.

If Brown and Quick head off to contenders, they'll find another gear.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Brown has shown plenty of value. His production is rare in someone his age. What is out of whack is his utilization and deployment. And the Kings would be better off if his cap hit was going towards a player who could come out ahead the majority of games in matchups against the opponents top line.

What’s truly baffling is how not a single other right shot winger on the nhl roster demonstrated some measure of proof to be given a look next to Kopitar. I expect Luff to get Brodzinski’d this summer, but the dude managed to score 8 goals for Willie D during garbage time. Even Wagner put in 12 goals that year in a shortened stretch. Somehow, Coach Todd has figured out how to get worse results.

I’m fine keeping Brown a King past this contract if it’s a year to year deal at around $1M a season. And that’s with the expectation of a reduced role.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Brown being the top goal scorer on the Kings this year is not a Brown problem, it's the fact that no one could out do an old man. You hold on to him since no one has proved to be able to replace his goal scoring yet.

I'm not for moving brown just to move him. Let his performance do that.

2020-21 Los Angeles Kings Stats - NHL Team Leaders

Kempe came to second closest at 14

agree with this.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Brown being the top goal scorer on the Kings this year is not a Brown problem, it's the fact that no one could out do an old man. You hold on to him since no one has proved to be able to replace his goal scoring yet.

I'm not for moving brown just to move him. Let his performance do that.

2020-21 Los Angeles Kings Stats - NHL Team Leaders

Kempe came to second closest at 14

Our 5v5 goals per 60 minutes is interesting. Last season, for Kings playing more than 20 games, our leader by a significant margin was JAD at 0.93. Carter, Athanasiou, Kempe, and Andersson round out the top five. Kopitar was sixth. Brown was down at 12th, tied with Austin Wagner and Trevor Moore. Of note, Doughty didn't score a 5v5 goal last season.

Kings 5v5 G/60: NHL Stats

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Brown has shown plenty of value. His production is rare in someone his age. What is out of whack is his utilization and deployment. And the Kings would be better off if his cap hit was going towards a player who could come out ahead the majority of games in matchups against the opponents top line.

What’s truly baffling is how not a single other right shot winger on the nhl roster demonstrated some measure of proof to be given a look next to Kopitar. I expect Luff to get Brodzinski’d this summer, but the dude managed to score 8 goals for Willie D during garbage time. Even Wagner put in 12 goals that year in a shortened stretch. Somehow, Coach Todd has figured out how to get worse results.

I’m fine keeping Brown a King past this contract if it’s a year to year deal at around $1M a season. And that’s with the expectation of a reduced role.

Brown hasn't much value because he outscores his team mate wings.
It's more the pathetic condition the team is in that nobody is available to outscore him.
This fact also shows in the standings.
If the Kings need anything at all it's scoring winger to go with our future playmakers.
Fagemo and Kaliev are looking good, but we need 2 more to field 2 top lines if we really want to compete for the cup.
And no, moving our playmaking centers are not the solution for scoring winger

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Regardless of what Bland and the contingent of Brown haters will tell you, the fact is the Kings were a better team when he was on the ice this season. He was by any objective measure one of the Kings best players this year.

@Deaders Ghost post is quantitatively false.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Brown had a good year....somewhat surprisingly so. Hopefully he can repeat it or come close to such in the 2021-2022 season. He did seem to run out of gas near the end. Maybe just needed some rest and not necessarily a harbinger of things to come for him.

But expecting him to continue at that level (even 75% of it) for the year after (2022-2023 season) when his contract expires and he'll be 37 (turning 38 1-2 months into that season) seems quite optimistic. He might be a good vet/locker presence for the young guys. Likely a 4th liner grinder type. But does he really want to put his body through all that for $1-2M and bottom line minutes -- especially with his kids and all? We'll see. I'm guessing he hangs it up after this year and retires as a King.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Brown had such a strange year. He was money overall when it came to putting the puck in the net, which was clutch. Yet watching him he really struggled a lot with his puck handling skills and passing, more so than any season I can remember. So many misplays when receiving the puck, it was like he was fighting the puck all year, yet when push came to shove, he was handling his role as a power forward and putting it in the net from close range. His numbers don't lie, he had a good season. Hard to expect him to continue that level of production. Good vet to have around the kids.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Brown had a good start and tailed off at the end of the year like the rest of the team. With the acquisition of Arvidsson and Byfield most likely being on the roster, Brown needs to be in a lesser role this year with powerplay minutes. Moving Brown down to the 3rd line evens out the rest of the lineup while still providing his leadership. I mentioned it earlier I can't see Brown playing much longer once his contract is up and I can't see him playing for any other team trying to chase a cup. I genuinely believe he's going to retire a king

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brown was trash everywhere else but was an absolute menace within 15 feet of the net this year.

He wasn't PKing, he wasn't backchecking, if his numbers pointed to he wasn't a liability that was because of Kopitar and Iafallo not because of Brown.

I love Brown but the grim reaper was holding on to his jersey all year. This will be his last season. Bless him, honor his memory, but I have no desire to paint him as anything at this point but a vet on his last legs who still has 'it' near the net but doesn't have it anywhere else (and of course is a fantastic human being who has given his all to this franchise).

The guy was typically an underrated two-way forward, the guy was a steady PKer on a top PK team for years and played that role internationally as well. But that part of his game is toast along with his mobility and general physicality unless someone comes to him.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Brown was trash everywhere else but was an absolute menace within 15 feet of the net this year.

He wasn't PKing, he wasn't backchecking, if his numbers pointed to he wasn't a liability that was because of Kopitar and Iafallo not because of Brown.

I love Brown but the grim reaper was holding on to his jersey all year. This will be his last season. Bless him, honor his memory, but I have no desire to paint him as anything at this point but a vet on his last legs who still has 'it' near the net but doesn't have it anywhere else (and of course is a fantastic human being who has given his all to this franchise).

The guy was typically an underrated two-way forward, the guy was a steady PKer on a top PK team for years and played that role internationally as well. But that part of his game is toast along with his mobility and general physicality unless someone comes to him.
I think sticking Brown with Grundstrom and JAD could work. They have decent motors and can apply good pressure in the Ozone, allowing Brown to clean up around the net. JAD has some offensive upside to him. Give them 12 minutes a night and see how it goes.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I think sticking Brown with Grundstrom and JAD could work. They have decent motors and can apply good pressure in the Ozone, allowing Brown to clean up around the net. JAD has some offensive upside to him. Give them 12 minutes a night and see how it goes.
Brown's motor is gone. I could not believe how slow he looked -- even at the start of the season.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009

Brown's motor is gone. I could not believe how slow he looked -- even at the start of the season.

I agree on both accounts though – a third- or fourth-line role for Brown would probably be perfect, and then put him in front of the net on the powerplay. If he succeeds in that role, I'd be happy to bring him back another year on a $1 million contract.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
wait, when did Brown say this would be his last year?

Brown had a great first half of the season and then really slowed down (as did the team). Hopefully LA's prospects and guys they bring in push Brown down the depth chart but I still want him on the team.

Brown did not say it nor did I.
His 8 year contract expires after this season and in no way, should he get another year.
I even doubt he will play much of a role this year, or possibly not make it to the end of the year.

As several other posters have intimated and I agree with their assessments, he's pretty much done, as being an effective every day NHL player.
He did score goals, but most were in the first 2 months. There are about 7 players that should be gearing up to take his spot this year....and
surely next year: Tkachyov, Kupari, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Madden, Turcotte, Thomas. Sure, some of these are not top 6 forwards, but neither is Brown, anymore. If 2 or 3 are not good enough to take his spot, woe to the Kings!

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'd be curious to see how Brown would do in a limited role. Right now he's playing top line minutes. Maybe he'd be more effective if asked to play 9-10 minutes a game in a physical role as a mentor and leader on the fourth line. I could see the Kings bringing him back in that role on the cheap, if he's still looking to play.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I hope Brown plays another playoff game as a King. If it is not this next year than I hope he signs one year low cap hit deals.

He is more effective than Wagner or Luff and still has a spot IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad