Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It seems to me the main problem with Kopitar is the number of minutes he plays. Reduce his time on ice to 17 minutes a game, and he could still be highly effective.
Probably, but it would force lesser players to eat more minutes. Best shot now for Blake is drafting the next 1C this draft or in the next, having that player on an ELC for 3 seasons while they make an immediate impact, and doing exactly what you suggest with Kopitar.

Reactions: Piston

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Who wants to read a super condescending article telling us why tanking isn't a thing (no ****, we know they aren't losing on purpose), and that Jack Hughes isn't a quick fix (again, no ****)?

Why #LoseForHughes Is Not a Real Thing for the LA Kings
Wow, thanks for stating the obvious Hoven. To paraphrase, "The current players don't give a damn about what position the Kings pick is at the next draft." No kidding.

I bet he is wrong about Blake though.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Starts it off strong with Quick yelling at Willie in Tampa but the best part was implying Brown would do anything Probert-related: one the ice or off.

I cannot recall a single fight in Dustin Browns long, controversial career which he started by squaring off and dropping the gloves.

I suspect Browns version of going Probert would look more like Raffi Torres.

Reactions: BigKing

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I cannot recall a single fight in Dustin Browns long, controversial career which he started by squaring off and dropping the gloves.

I suspect Browns version of going Probert would look more like Raffi Torres.

He did "fight" Doan off a face-off but the majority--maybe all of his career fights other than Doan--are him being forced to answer for a big hit.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don’t question Browns character for not being a fighter, just never expected hm to be compared to bob probert

Reactions: BigKing

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He did "fight" Doan off a face-off but the majority--maybe all of his career fights other than Doan--are him being forced to answer for a big hit.
Dustin Brown is not a good fighter, so I don't really blame him for not initiating scraps. To his credit though he always answers the bell when called out.

I remember him fighting Morrow as well.

Brown's impact has always been the big hit.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm not bringing up his record to knock him, just saying how silly it is to say he is going to go Probert on someone.

As for always standing up, he has declined several times after big hits. Part of the reason why he used to draw so many penalties, along with flopping. If a guy drops his gloves and doesn't really give Brown a chance to decline, he'll usually drop them.

He TKO'd Langkow after Langkow forced him to fight and he actually traded them with Svitov on CBJ way back after crushing Klesla. Generally though, he's a wrestler.

Speaking of Klesla, Brown owned this guy with multiple brutal hits. Then Nolan ended his career with a huge open-ice hit in pre-season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm not bringing up his record to knock him, just saying how silly it is to say he is going to go Probert on someone.

As for always standing up, he has declined several times after big hits. Part of the reason why he used to draw so many penalties, along with flopping. If a guy drops his gloves and doesn't really give Brown a chance to decline, he'll usually drop them.

He TKO'd Langkow after Langkow forced him to fight and he actually traded them with Svitov on CBJ way back after crushing Klesla. Generally though, he's a wrestler.

Speaking of Klesla, Brown owned this guy with multiple brutal hits. Then Nolan ended his career with a huge open-ice hit in pre-season.
I remember Brown trucking Klesla at least three times, and when Klesla was with different teams.

Agree with you on the rest.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I remember Brown trucking Klesla at least three times, and when Klesla was with different teams.

Agree with you on the rest.

The Kings may have knocked three years off his career. Can't remember a player on the receiving end of so many devastating hits from one team or one player.

The Nolan one is insane. Klesla played with his head down way too much.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
What would that boon have been? What would they have done with the extra 10 million in cap space? Who would they have traded him for? Lastly, who would be our number 1 center? Carter?

The boon would have been all the futures available for a prime Kopitar. Who knows.

Doesn’t really matter who the #1 C is as they’re rebuilding.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between Kappo and Hughes?

Hughes is a dynamic skating center who makes everyone around him better. Best American available in the draft since Matthews. Think Patrick Kane, but a C. Indisputable #1.

Kakko is a big body elite playmaking winger. Incredible two way IQ and overall vision. Called the Finnish Forsberg. Best Finn available in the draft since Laine.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
The boon would have been all the futures available for a prime Kopitar. Who knows.

Doesn’t really matter who the #1 C is as they’re rebuilding.

Yeah, but they weren't a rebuilding team in 2014-15. They actually had the most points in franchise history afterwards, they took a few more shots and failed, but would a late 1st and a decent prospect be worth blowing up a cup winning team a season after? I get that a number 1 center isn't worth much in a rebuild, but neither is that 10 million in cap space.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It seems to me the main problem with Kopitar is the number of minutes he plays. Reduce his time on ice to 17 minutes a game, and he could still be highly effective.

Every time I bring this up people make the point that he's getting paid to play big minutes but it's never acknowledged that he has to play the hardest minutes, too.

Only forwards close in ice time and situation is Barkov, who has a lot more youth on his side and still plays much softer ES minutes. The rest--like McDavid--are force fed offensive situations and soft minutes. You have to go down to Couturier to find another guy.

20-21 minutes a game, fine. But 24-25 hard minutes a game? What do you think is going to happen? Conserve mode, just like with Doughty going over 30. 25 minutes is more than every d-man in the league but the Norris contenders. That's absurd for a forward. "we're going to play the kids' indeed.

It's why I think--in a perfect world, if Kakko or Vilardi or whoever can function as a 1C-2C in 17-19 minutes can push Kopitar to 2C, he'd be uber-effective till later in his career.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yeah, but they weren't a rebuilding team in 2014-15. They actually had the most points in franchise history afterwards, they took a few more shots and failed, but would a late 1st and a decent prospect be worth blowing up a cup winning team a season after? I get that a number 1 center isn't worth much in a rebuild, but neither is that 10 million in cap space.

No, I don’t blame Dean for still trying to “go for it” in both 14/15 and 15/16, even though it was clear even at the time that 15/16 was a lot of smoke and mirrors.

After that Sharks series, it was also clear this team didn’t have the magic anymore, and they were only going to get worse. I 100% jumped on the rebuild train after 15/16, as many of us did.

It would have been dirty business, but Lombardi could have still pulled a Visnovsky and traded Kopitar in the summer of 2016 before his extension kicked in. We would have gotten more than just a late 1st and a prospect.

As we know, none of that is likely realistic because Luc’s fingerprints were all over the Kopitar contract from the get go, and any Visnovsky-style trade would have been vetoed by upper management.

Regardless of any of this, the data was there in the summer of 2016 to support moving on from Kopitar. It would have signaled an end of an era, and other veteran pieces could have been moved at the 2016 draft, including Carter. Move on from Lucic. Get a three year head start on our current rebuild. Maybe this spooks Doughty, and you’re forced to move him, too, and for an absolute haul. Doesn’t change our current predicament now - still facing down a rebuild, except still strapped by all these awful veteran contracts.

And I understand the Kings had a great regular season in 15/16. But the last two months of the season, playoffs included, said a lot about the character and motivation of this team. The writing was on the wall. If a huge section of the fanbase could see it, so too could management.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
No, I don’t blame Dean for still trying to “go for it” in both 14/15 and 15/16, even though it was clear even at the time that 15/16 was a lot of smoke and mirrors.

After that Sharks series, it was also clear this team didn’t have the magic anymore, and they were only going to get worse. I 100% jumped on the rebuild train after 15/16, as many of us did.

It would have been dirty business, but Lombardi could have still pulled a Visnovsky and traded Kopitar in the summer of 2016 before his extension kicked in. We would have gotten more than just a late 1st and a prospect.

As we know, none of that is likely realistic because Luc’s fingerprints were all over the Kopitar contract from the get go, and any Visnovsky-style trade would have been vetoed by upper management.

Regardless of any of this, the data was there in the summer of 2016 to support moving on from Kopitar. It would have signaled an end of an era, and other veteran pieces could have been moved at the 2016 draft, including Carter. Move on from Lucic. Get a three year head start on our current rebuild. Maybe this spooks Doughty, and you’re forced to move him, too, and for an absolute haul. Doesn’t change our current predicament now - still facing down a rebuild, except still strapped by all these awful veteran contracts.

And I understand the Kings had a great regular season in 15/16. But the last two months of the season, playoffs included, said a lot about the character and motivation of this team. The writing was on the wall. If a huge section of the fanbase could see it, so too could management.

I thought we were discussing trading Kopitar following the 2014-15 season, before he signed his contract. I don't like your idea of f***ing over a franchise center who brought the team to the best success it has ever had, in fact it is pretty f***ed up. If you want to trade the guy, go for it, but don't treat him like shit. Guy sweat blood and tears carrying the team and you are going to do him like that? For some futures that likely won't pan out? Yeah, it happened to Visnovsky and I didn't like it, but Visnovsky also isn't a future hall of famer/one of the best to ever play for the franchise.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I thought we were discussing trading Kopitar following the 2014-15 season, before he signed his contract. I don't like your idea of ****ing over a franchise center who brought the team to the best success it has ever had, in fact it is pretty ****ed up. If you want to trade the guy, go for it, but don't treat him like ****. Guy sweat blood and tears carrying the team and you are going to do him like that? For some futures that likely won't pan out? Yeah, it happened to Visnovsky and I didn't like it, but Visnovsky also isn't a future hall of famer/one of the best to ever play for the franchise.

This is borderline NHLPA propaganda. Kopitar was paid millions of dollars for his service to the team and fanbase. He’s not some selfless crusader. And this is a business. Unflinching, unreasonable loyalty to players on the basis of their past accomplishments is *exactly* what got us into this mess in the first place.

Kopitar drew a hard line on his retirement contract, which put the team in a very poor position in 2016. His outrageous contract will only continue to cripple the team’s ability to execute a proper rebuild.

I don’t have any sympathy for these players. No, I don’t expect them to take a home town discount. But if they expect to be paid $10 million when they’re 36 years old, they shouldn’t be surprised if and when they’re sent packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad