Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
You just described Kopitars play too. Lazy backchecks, poor passing into the middle that never works, especially on the pp.Then when he does shoot, he misses so bad it goes around the glass right to the other team and it's a breakaway.

Had I been in charge, I would have traded him at the TDL to Carolina @ 25% retained for (probably) Faulk and a 1st and a couple of 2nds and a prospect. I seriously, seriously doubt Kopitar's play next year will be better than this year.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Since the trade deadline has come and gone, I'm guessing Blake is shifting his focus to College FA's and guys over in European Leagues. Any rumors of interest in players from either?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Since the trade deadline has come and gone, I'm guessing Blake is shifting his focus to College FA's and guys over in European Leagues. Any rumors of interest in players from either?
I'm sure news will slowly leak out. They've been hard after a lot of college guys the past few years. Too bad they missed on Pionk and Whitecloud but at least they signed Iafallo and Rempal.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017

Oliwer Kaski RHD out of Finland sounds intriguing.....

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Had I been in charge, I would have traded him at the TDL to Carolina @ 25% retained for (probably) Faulk and a 1st and a couple of 2nds and a prospect. I seriously, seriously doubt Kopitar's play next year will be better than this year.

What leverage are you using to make Carolina do that?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Here is the biggest issue I see with the notion that Kopitar should be traded. At what point do you believe it should have happened? Should it have happened after his 12 goal 52 point season with a 10 million dollar contract in tow? What is the return you are getting for one of the most important players in franchise history? How about after last season, when he won the Selke and was a runner up for the Hart, while putting up 92 points? The season ticket holders/fanbase would be incensed, Blake can't make the move at that point in time. Now this season, we are at the same point, if he is an "overpayed 2nd liner", who wants to take on his contract?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Here is the biggest issue I see with the notion that Kopitar should be traded. At what point do you believe it should have happened? Should it have happened after his 12 goal 52 point season with a 10 million dollar contract in tow? What is the return you are getting for one of the most important players in franchise history? How about after last season, when he won the Selke and was a runner up for the Hart, while putting up 92 points? The season ticket holders/fanbase would be incensed, Blake can't make the move at that point in time. Now this season, we are at the same point, if he is an "overpayed 2nd liner", who wants to take on his contract?

If Blake comes out and says Kopitar is on the block, you have 30 teams lining up to see if they can acquire him, hand down.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let's see if the ever elusive Porky is on the menu. I doubt it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Do you think the Kings should have signed Kopitar to an 8-year, $80 million contract in the first place? Depending on how you answer, there's your answer.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The leverage of hockey knowledge, that people in the league realize Kopitar isn't NEARLY as bad as this fan base complains he is....

Which isn't enough in a hard cap world. And of all teams, Carolina? They don't spend a ton of money, and they have to re-sign Aho.

The deal that was proposed, not only do the Kings come out ahead in cap space for next year, but Faulk's contract is done after next year, and the Kings get a 1st, and a couple 2nd's, and a prospect. For a guy who is seriously, seriously doubtful to improve his play next year, at the age of 32, locked in for 5 more years. All assuming he would even agree to go to Carolina. That's what I mean by leverage. Taking in all the context, how could anyone make Carolina do that deal?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Which isn't enough in a hard cap world. And of all teams, Carolina? They don't spend a ton of money, and they have to re-sign Aho.

The deal that was proposed, not only do the Kings come out ahead in cap space for next year, but Faulk's contract is done after next year, and the Kings get a 1st, and a couple 2nd's, and a prospect. For a guy who is seriously, seriously doubtful to improve his play next year, at the age of 32, locked in for 5 more years. All assuming he would even agree to go to Carolina. That's what I mean by leverage. Taking in all the context, how could anyone make Carolina do that deal?
It would all depend on how much of Kopitar's cap hit Blake is willing to retain. I don't think there is a single team in the NHL who would deal for Kopitar's contract in its current form.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I don't think moving Kopitar is necessary since we will be lacking a 1st line Center. A big hole to fill. If we had a MacKinnon type player pushing for top spot then we should consider it but we don't.
We need to see how things play out this summer and at the draft. This is a process, moving Carter is a must and top priority for Blake.

We give it 2 years to restock, see what we have and look at a new leadership group. If we draft well and get a potential top line center, Kopitar as a 2nd line center gives us great depth but like Toews and Bergeron they will retire with their current teams.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
There is an absolute mint to be made in sports psychology if someone could analyze and pinpoint what has happened to Kopitar from last year to this. From all-world MVP to abject failure in practically every facet of the game in the course of one offseason. You have to hope he bounces back but damn... brutal.

Reactions: savemefromtears

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It would all depend on how much of Kopitar's cap hit Blake is willing to retain. I don't think there is a single team in the NHL who would deal for Kopitar's contract in its current form.

Until the end of next season, the only thing that matters is whether or not Kopitar wants to leave. If he doesn't, there is no further conversation. After next year, he gets to pick 7 teams, so the league wide rush to get him if he's available is diluted.

We talked about it the other day, it's probably not up to Blake on retention when it's years on end, and in the millions of dollars. That's up to Anschutz. If he doesn't want to eat that, it's a no go.

Very likely, we're talking about trading a 33 year old Kopitar, at the earliest.

Reactions: lumbergh

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Do you think the Kings should have signed Kopitar to an 8-year, $80 million contract in the first place? Depending on how you answer, there's your answer.

I personally don't see how you can let a 28 year old number 1 center two seasons removed from being a cup champion go. I understand it is difficult to tie yourself to one player, but you don't find number 1 centers growing on trees and I think you have to hedge your bets to the guy continuing to produce. If you let him walk in FA there is no guarantee that you fill your roster up with anywhere close to the same value with the added cap space.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Until the end of next season, the only thing that matters is whether or not Kopitar wants to leave. If he doesn't, there is no further conversation. After next year, he gets to pick 7 teams, so the league wide rush to get him if he's available is diluted.

We talked about it the other day, it's probably not up to Blake on retention when it's years on end, and in the millions of dollars. That's up to Anschutz. If he doesn't want to eat that, it's a no go.

Very likely, we're talking about trading a 33 year old Kopitar, at the earliest.
Yup, completely agree, and Anze is on easy street so he isn't volunteering to go anywhere.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I personally don't see how you can let a 28 year old number 1 center two seasons removed from being a cup champion go. I understand it is difficult to tie yourself to one player, but you don't find number 1 centers growing on trees and I think you have to hedge your bets to the guy continuing to produce. If you let him walk in FA there is no guarantee that you fill your roster up with anywhere close to the same value with the added cap space.
I did. Kopitar should have been traded before he hit the UFA market.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
There is an absolute mint to be made in sports psychology if someone could analyze and pinpoint what has happened to Kopitar from last year to this. From all-world MVP to abject failure in practically every facet of the game in the course of one offseason. You have to hope he bounces back but damn... brutal.
Last season they told him to lose weight and get into shape. Maybe he didn't train in the offseason enough? It's really disappointing

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Last season they told him to lose weight and get into shape. Maybe he didn't train in the offseason enough? It's really disappointing
One could hope it's as "simple" as him spending all summer by Pearson's pool drinking beers (not really simple from a mental perspective, but explainable at least), but I'm not so sure. We'll never know but whatever the reason, dude needs to take a LONG hard look in the mirror.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
When did you want him traded?
Short answer: Prior to him signing his last contract, most likely after the 2014-15 season. He had a terrible season by his standards, but it still would have been easy to convince other GMs he would bounce back.

I was advocating a deal where the Kings traded for a younger up and coming center and whatever else Dean could pry out the the other team. I would have then built around Doughty and tried to get younger and better up front over the last couple of seasons. I believed at the time, given some of the other teams coming on in the Western Conference, like Nashville, Winnipeg, and Calgary, the Kings wouldn't be strong cup contenders for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad