Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not sure if anyone saw this in Rosen's article about leadership, but:

Doughty, on whether he feels any pressure to live up to his large contract:
No, no pressure at all. I deserved that contract, I don’t feel any pressure at all. I one-hundred percent deserved it. Yeah, I’m minus-22 this year, but I’m still playing good hockey. I’m still playing as hard as I possibly can. Playing good defense, playing good offense and, you know, the numbers aren’t there, but the numbers aren’t there for the whole team, and when you play thirty minutes a night and you’re on the last place team in the league, you’re going to be a minus player. That’s the bottom line.

Why are so many key players having off-years? This is what they said. - LA Kings Insider

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick are all stumped as to why so many players are having off years. Those answers leave little hope for fans to expect these legacy cup vets to lead the team way back to respectability, much less cup contention.

And Luc’s promise to never count these guys out gets less reassuring game by game.

With the sluggish pace of roster turnover, my guess is that the same players have those same answers to the same questions, one year from now.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure if anyone saw this in Rosen's article about leadership, but:

Why are so many key players having off-years? This is what they said. - LA Kings Insider

Thanks for posting the link and what a disappointment in the answers. Kopitar put out a lot of words but didn't say much. He did say this, which is something that has been missing almost all year
The thing you can control is go out and work hard and give it all you’ve got.
Doughty- No, no pressure at all. I deserved that contract, I don’t feel any pressure at all. I one-hundred percent deserved it.
Earn and deserve are 2 different things. He might have meant by his play over the last few years, he earned the new deal, but deserve isn't the right word. And later on, when he says he's played good, okay, I guess we don't have the same definition. I wish he'd have been a bit more honest and a bit more mature. He doesn't think it's him, that's really immature.

Brown Sometimes it’s a mental thing with players, but I think our habits in practice haven’t been nearly as good as they have in years past and that affects us in games.
He's right, the teams that work their butts off and put a pound of sweat in every practice, that does translate to games. But it shouldn't have taken them over 50 games to realize that.

They are the leaders on this team along with Quick, and I know they are embarrassed and tired of having reporters ask them, but they all need to find the mirror and take a look.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Oh Doughty

giphy.gif

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Why is Trevor Lewis still here?

Because ....

Possibly no one wanted him, or...

The returns were too low, wouldn’t we love to know, or ...

We think he’ll bounce back next year ...

Use the above excuses for any overpaid, underperforming, past their prime vet on this roster.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Doughty is not a leader, he is a fantastic player but I worry about how he is going to age. I truly believe the Kings should have cashed out on Doughty, they would have gotten a decade of great play and memories, including 2 cups.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yup Drew, you´re doing everything right. It´s all those other chumps who´re dragging you down. That must be it.
If you watch highlights of the 2104 playoff run, you see a much different team with way more hunger and desire. Guys like Pearson, Toffoli and DD were just always in great position there so many hustle plays (esp by Gaborik) that allowed them to have success. These guys have been mailing it in for several years and its only evidenced this year similar to how a bad play can take a while to have a bad result.

Reactions: KINGS17

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Thanks for posting the link and what a disappointment in the answers. Kopitar put out a lot of words but didn't say much. He did say this, which is something that has been missing almost all year
The thing you can control is go out and work hard and give it all you’ve got.
Doughty- No, no pressure at all. I deserved that contract, I don’t feel any pressure at all. I one-hundred percent deserved it.
Earn and deserve are 2 different things. He might have meant by his play over the last few years, he earned the new deal, but deserve isn't the right word. And later on, when he says he's played good, okay, I guess we don't have the same definition. I wish he'd have been a bit more honest and a bit more mature. He doesn't think it's him, that's really immature.

Brown Sometimes it’s a mental thing with players, but I think our habits in practice haven’t been nearly as good as they have in years past and that affects us in games.
He's right, the teams that work their butts off and put a pound of sweat in every practice, that does translate to games. But it shouldn't have taken them over 50 games to realize that.

They are the leaders on this team along with Quick, and I know they are embarrassed and tired of having reporters ask them, but they all need to find the mirror and take a look.

Ohhhh mean Sutter made them practice hard.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick are all stumped as to why so many players are having off years. Those answers leave little hope for fans to expect these legacy cup vets to lead the team way back to respectability, much less cup contention.

And Luc’s promise to never count these guys out gets less reassuring game by game.

With the sluggish pace of roster turnover, my guess is that the same players have those same answers to the same questions, one year from now.
Brown knows what it is, he just didn't want to call out his teammates in the article.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Wagner is going to be an excellent 4th liner on a future Kings contender (3 years from now). I also think Walker may be someone who can fill a 3rd pair role on a decent team, I like him a little bit more than Roy and alot more than LaDue. Kempe and Iafallo will be nice 3rd liners on those contending teams. Beyond that...? You can pencil in Kopitar and Doughty on those teams, but other than those two nothing in top 6 forwards or top 4 defenseman are currently in LA or Ontario. Blake is going to have to build it almost all over, going to need to find atleast one star and a couple of semi-stars.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Brown knows what it is, he just didn't want to call out his teammates in the article.

I think all paid the same lip service to the question and don’t think Brown is someone who is going to lead this team back to relevance.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think all paid the same lip service to the question and don’t think Brown is someone who is going to lead this team back to relevance.
Brown said the Kings practice habits suck. Can he fix that on his own? I doubt it.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Doughty is not a leader, he is a fantastic player but I worry about how he is going to age. I truly believe the Kings should have cashed out on Doughty, they would have gotten a decade of great play and memories, including 2 cups.
Doughty hasn't put in the work, so I think he is only going to go as far as his natural ability carries him.

When he hits the wall, it may not be pretty.

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Brown said the Kings practice habits such. Can he fix that on his own? I doubt it.

Unless practice habits is code words for skill and talent, I don’t see how that is the root cause of the decline. Sounds like another excuse.

To recap, Brown blames what happens in practice, so points the fingers at coaches and trainers.

Kopitar says it’s an odd bad year because a rare thing happened where everyone had a down year at the same time.

Doughty says his biggest frustration is not coming together as a team, so casting the blame out to everyone in proximity.

Quick points to a lack of performance for why trades happened, but Muzzin was playing well, so maybe he’s not in sync with the current squad since he missed so much time due to injury

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow. That is a damning quote. That almost looks like an Onion quote, just comically bad... Pretty disappointing.

Kopitar was lost for answers and soft. Doughty was defensive and self-important. Brown was diplomatic and leaderly while not putting anyone on blast really, basically saying we've gotta work harder/better.

Pretty much exactly what we're seeing about who they really are when the going gets tough. Can only hope they're embarrassed enough to have a pre-Cup-era hard summer instead of a post-Cup-era yay-everyone's-getting-married, put-the-pills-on-Stolly type summer.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Unless practice habits is code words for skill and talent, I don’t see how that is the root cause of the decline. Sounds like another excuse.

To recap, Brown blames what happens in practice, so points the fingers at coaches and trainers.

Kopitar says it’s an odd bad year because a rare thing happened where everyone had a down year at the same time.

Doughty says his biggest frustration is not coming together as a team, so casting the blame out to everyone in proximity.

Quick points to a lack of performance for why trades happened, but Muzzin was playing well, so maybe he’s not in sync with the current squad since he missed so much time due to injury
We have two different interpretations of Brown's comments. Having played on some very good teams, and some not so good teams, I think practice habits are largely the responsibility of the players.

A coach can kick some ass in practice if players aren't putting forth a good effort, but ultimately it is your peers for whom you are putting in the work. Peer pressure among the players in the entire group is the best way to get max effort from everyone.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kopitar was lost for answers and soft. Doughty was defensive and self-important. Brown was diplomatic and leaderly while not putting anyone on blast really, basically saying we've gotta work harder/better.

Pretty much exactly what we're seeing about who they really are when the going gets tough. Can only hope they're embarrassed enough to have a pre-Cup-era hard summer instead of a post-Cup-era yay-everyone's-getting-married, put-the-pills-on-Stolly type summer.
You can't paint stripes on a p***y cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad