Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Even dealing Pearson, Muzzin, and Thompson the Kings still look old and stale.

Kings really need to move on from Kovy and Carter. I’m fine with keeping Lewis. The first two Kings lines have been stale for 5 years. The combinations of Brown, Kopitar, Toffoli, Carter in the top 6 are just old and boring.

The bottom 6 is finally starting to look different with guys like Leipsic, Luff, Wagner, Amadio, Kempe moving in with Clifford and Lewis.

The problem is the Kings don’t have any great prospects playing pro at forward. I love Wagner but the dude is a 4th round pick. Luff was a UFA and was sent down. Kings really need to get JAD, Vilardi and guys like that in the AHL. We have some decent prospects but they are in juniors, college, or Europe. We need those guys playing pro even if they don’t make the Kings next year.

Let’s assume we get a lottery pick and he makes the Kings they need to know if someone gets hurt they can call up a former 1st or 2nd rounder to come in and help. Then we start to see multiple high end prospects playing on the big team.

They will continue to look stale because they are playing meaningless games now that they have no shot at making the playoffs. Also, this is still a process. Over the summer if we finish dead last or second to last, we have a good shot at landing Kakko or Hughes. Next, we will bring in Kupari and Gundstrom into our top 9. Add in more playing time for guys like Wagner, Luff, Amadio, and JAD, and you will have a hungrier club. I think the new blood will have a positive effect on our vets (DD, Carter, Kopitar etc.). I don't think we make the playoffs next year unless we land Panarin as well, but I am sure we will enjoy watching Kings games more next year with the young kids flowing in.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Blake finding replacement depth for Ontario in case he trades some NHL roster players tomorrow and has to call up some kids ?

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Blake finding replacement depth for Ontario in case he trades some NHL roster players tomorrow and has to call up some kids ?

That would appear to be the only possible benefit. Doubt we would have re-signed Watson, and Iacopelli is not getting a qualifying offer, so the contract is going to open up either way.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This has to be one of the most insignificant trades in team history. Two AHL/ECHL fringe guys both on expiring contracts.

Wonder how this trade discussion even gets started.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Off the wall suggestion, but something that could add punch to the Kings lineup and be a good shakeup in the offseason.

As a local, I laugh at all the Leafs fans who dont think they are in cap trouble.. Leafs have $71.909 committed to 14 players, with some major implications. If the cap goes to $83m it still only leaves them $11 mil, add on that Horton will be LTIR which adds another 5.3. This gives them likely a total of $16.3m with still only 14 players signed.

For D they will have Reilly, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott and Holl. Ozhiganov is RFA and Gardiner, Hainsey are UFA. Hainsey is cooked and Gardiner will be severely overpaid. I imagine the D could be solidified with either Liligren or Sandin taking a spot, possibly both, but a cheap vet D add may be needed.

Bigger problem comes up front - Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Marleau, T.Moore and Gauthier are all signed. Lindholm is a UFA while Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson are all RFA's. Marner is likely going to ask for Matthews money, Leafs will counter and it probably ends up between 9.5-10.5... that still only leaves $5.8-$6.8 in cap space. Adding the necessary 2 additional D will take away at the minimum between $1.5-$2.0. That cap space can be gained by trading Brown (2.2) for picks. Marleau (6.3) has a NMC and Zaitsev is likely a tough sell without major assets.

Assuming the Leafs find themselves in this spot, would it not be worthwhile for the Kings to offer sheet both Kapanen and Johnsson 4yrs x $4mil. At worst its reject and the Leafs are in a bad spot. At best, Kings add quality forwards on cheap contracts while only giving up a 2nd for each. Maybe its far fetched but I think worth exploring if that time comes. Both guys offer speed, offensive creativity and scoring. Kapanen is an exceptional penalty killer with great defensive zone work and can muck it up. Johnsson plays up and down the lineup, will not hurt you defensively either, not as physical as Kapanen though.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Off the wall suggestion, but something that could add punch to the Kings lineup and be a good shakeup in the offseason.

As a local, I laugh at all the Leafs fans who dont think they are in cap trouble.. Leafs have $71.909 committed to 14 players, with some major implications. If the cap goes to $83m it still only leaves them $11 mil, add on that Horton will be LTIR which adds another 5.3. This gives them likely a total of $16.3m with still only 14 players signed.

For D they will have Reilly, Muzzin, Zaitsev, Dermott and Holl. Ozhiganov is RFA and Gardiner, Hainsey are UFA. Hainsey is cooked and Gardiner will be severely overpaid. I imagine the D could be solidified with either Liligren or Sandin taking a spot, possibly both, but a cheap vet D add may be needed.

Bigger problem comes up front - Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Marleau, T.Moore and Gauthier are all signed. Lindholm is a UFA while Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson are all RFA's. Marner is likely going to ask for Matthews money, Leafs will counter and it probably ends up between 9.5-10.5... that still only leaves $5.8-$6.8 in cap space. Adding the necessary 2 additional D will take away at the minimum between $1.5-$2.0. That cap space can be gained by trading Brown (2.2) for picks. Marleau (6.3) has a NMC and Zaitsev is likely a tough sell without major assets.

Assuming the Leafs find themselves in this spot, would it not be worthwhile for the Kings to offer sheet both Kapanen and Johnsson 4yrs x $4mil. At worst its reject and the Leafs are in a bad spot. At best, Kings add quality forwards on cheap contracts while only giving up a 2nd for each. Maybe its far fetched but I think worth exploring if that time comes. Both guys offer speed, offensive creativity and scoring. Kapanen is an exceptional penalty killer with great defensive zone work and can muck it up. Johnsson plays up and down the lineup, will not hurt you defensively either, not as physical as Kapanen though.

Offer sheets are like Haileys Comet - talked about, but not seen very often. I feel the GMs don’t want to piss off other teams by using them because someone might do it back to you.

I like them in concept (and your suggestions make sense) but they’re so rarely used, I’m not sure it’s worth the time discussing.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Offer sheets are like Haileys Comet - talked about, but not seen very often. I feel the GMs don’t want to piss off other teams by using them because someone might do it back to you.

I like them in concept (and your suggestions make sense) but they’re so rarely used, I’m not sure it’s worth the time discussing.

Normally I don't put stock on offer sheets, but this year, given the Leafs CAP situation, I wouldn't be surprised if Marner didn't get one.

Reactions: AmadiosAmigos

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010

Fair point, hence why I said it was an off the wall suggestion.

I still would love to see it. Both of those players address major needs for LA (offense and speed) while not taking away from our glory years identity of paying attention to our zone. Neither have many opportunities on the PP either. Kapenen (223) a RHS and Johnsson (25) a LHS.

Kap (61-18-20-38 +14)
Johnsson (54-17-16-33 +21)

A fan can day dream in a new era where 5 year rebuilds are a thing of the past.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
This has to be one of the most insignificant trades in team history. Two AHL/ECHL fringe guys both on expiring contracts.

Wonder how this trade discussion even gets started.

Probably like “hey, we have this guy and we don’t want him, do you have anyone you don’t want anymore?”

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad