Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If Clague turns into Morrisey I'll eat any hat of your choosing.

But maybe I'm way too high on Morrissey.

If Clague can become as half as good as Morrissey is, I will be happy.

I'd agree with you.

Morrisey is absolute stud. Clague has a way to go before he even sniffs Morrisey's jock.

In his AHL year (which Morrissey scored less than Clague) many Jets fans were similarly down on Morrissey. Clague might not ever reach Morrisseys level but hes a similar player with very development path so far. Well see but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Which is why I responded to the quote I did cause Clague has top pairing potential no doubt, imo.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
From an outsiders perspective (Oilers fan), just curious if the would be an appetite for a Doughty for futures/cap dumps trade.

I'm under the impression he has had a tough year, and given the Kings are having a rough year as well, maybe a rebuild is something the team would consider. If that's the case, picking up a very high pick along with other futures may be a good start.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
From an outsiders perspective (Oilers fan), just curious if the would be an appetite for a Doughty for futures/cap dumps trade.

I'm under the impression he has had a tough year, and given the Kings are having a rough year as well, maybe a rebuild is something the team would consider. If that's the case, picking up a very high pick along with other futures may be a good start.

Doughty's contract makes it almost impossible to trade him, unless similar salary and player quality is coming back. Doughty controls were he gets traded and all the contenders or cup teams are strapped for cap space.

Draft picks won't do it due to the contract. The time to trade Doughty was before he got his raise and NTC/NMC

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

No one on this board will agree with me, but I'd move him for some prime future assets. The Oilers draft picks are worth a lot.

Kings need to build for the future, and Oilers need to win now while McDAvid enters his prime.

But asking for Doughty AND asking the Kings to take on a cap dump is asking a whole hell of a lot. (If I understand what you're asking correctly)

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

I don't think anyone is thinking about trading Doughty just because he is having a down year. He is elite, and probably the best defenseman in the world. The entire team sucks this year, and I have no doubt in my mind that he will be elite again next year. That said, I would be open for certain trades (e.g., the Colorado one I proposed), but Edmonton has nothing to offer.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I would only trade DD to Colorado for their two first round picks and Barrie. Doubt that will happen.

Sorry.....but.....what the hell are you sniffing man? You would trade a generational Dman....for 2 lottery picks and a place holder?? Seriously?

I get it, team sucks, not gonna contend, have to rebuild, but seriously, if you trading Doughty now....in his prime, you better be getting a helluva better return than 2 lottery picks and a place holder

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
No one on this board will agree with me, but I'd move him for some prime future assets. The Oilers draft picks are worth a lot.

Kings need to build for the future, and Oilers need to win now while McDAvid enters his prime.

Bust asking for Doughty AND asking the Kings to take on a cap dump is asking a whole hell of a lot. (If I understand what you're asking correctly)

I see what you mean.

My suggestion was based on the premise that Doughty was tradeable, and that the Kings are in dire enough straights that they were planning a full blown rebuild.

If those two qualifications were true, then it makes sense to me for the Kings to capitalize on his value now rather than hope he's still elite in a handful of years. I can certainly see why Kings fans wouldn't be interested though.

To the Kings fan that thought you would get a good player and 2 firsts (including a likely top 3 pick), I don't think you'll ever see a trade like that in a cap world.

I suggested LA take cap dumps in trade with the Oilers because that's the only way cap room could be made. As was said before, no contender could take his cap. Even the terrible oilers couldn't. And if LA was planning to rebuild, taking cap wouldn't hurt them too much.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sorry.....but.....what the hell are you sniffing man? You would trade a generational Dman....for 2 lottery picks and a place holder?? Seriously?

I get it, team sucks, not gonna contend, have to rebuild, but seriously, if you trading Doughty now....in his prime, you better be getting a helluva better return than 2 lottery picks and a place holder

In a hard cap league, you wouldn't do much better than that for a 30 year old with a NMC taking up $11m in cap space until 2027. Not something you do blindly. It would have to happen after the lottery, because you would want one of those picks to be #1 for sure.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I see what you mean.

My suggestion was based on the premise that Doughty was tradeable, and that the Kings are in dire enough straights that they were planning a full blown rebuild.

If those two qualifications were true, then it makes sense to me for the Kings to capitalize on his value now rather than hope he's still elite in a handful of years. I can certainly see why Kings fans wouldn't be interested though.

To the Kings fan that thought you would get a good player and 2 firsts (including a likely top 3 pick), I don't think you'll ever see a trade like that in a cap world.

I suggested LA take cap dumps in trade with the Oilers because that's the only way cap room could be made. As was said before, no contender could take his cap. Even the terrible oilers couldn't. And if LA was planning to rebuild, taking cap wouldn't hurt them too much.

I wouldn’t trade Doughty straight up for anyone in the league besides Mcdavid. That includes Matthews , Marner whoever else . Doughty is generational to me and the best dman in the league . He is going to retire a King and will never be moved.

Kings will be fine again in next 2 years.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Excuse me? Can you imagine the depth we would have while also having tons of open cap space if we made that deal. We are talking about four 1st round draft picks, with three of them being in the top 5. We could draft Hughes, Kakko, and Podkolzin, while having the cap space to sign Panarin. Don’t get me wrong, we would have a giant hole on D, but if we make a few trades or get depth D at UFA in the next two years, we will be lethal. Like the Leafs, we could outscore our D problems.

Panarin-Kopitar-Carter
Kovalchuk-Hughes-Podkolzin
Kempe-Kupari-Kakko
Wagner-Amadio-Brown

Again, Colorado would never do this, but if such a deal was available, I would do it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I am a pancake-eating mother f*****.

It will take your first round pick this season, and for each of the three following seasons.

Say it with me Neatman. You get Drew!!!

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Doughty's contract makes it almost impossible to trade him, unless similar salary and player quality is coming back. Doughty controls were he gets traded and all the contenders or cup teams are strapped for cap space.

Draft picks won't do it due to the contract. The time to trade Doughty was before he got his raise and NTC/NMC

Doesn’t that kick in July 1, 2019? Plenty of time.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In his AHL year (which Morrissey scored less than Clague) many Jets fans were similarly down on Morrissey. Clague might not ever reach Morrisseys level but hes a similar player with very development path so far. Well see but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Which is why I responded to the quote I did cause Clague has top pairing potential no doubt, imo.

Maybe, I just have little faith in Clague to put a top-pairing d-man level defensive game together. I see him topping out as a Nick Leddy type.

I would only trade DD to Colorado for their two first round picks and Barrie. Doubt that will happen.

Leave them the higher pick, and I'd take Makar and one of them.

I am a pancake-eating mother f*****.

It will take your first round pick this season, and for each of the three following seasons.

Say it with me Neatman. You get Drew!!!

Honestly the entire movie was worth it for that setup alone :laugh: I loved it but even if I didn't that kind of schaudenfraude was glorious for anyone

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

But asking for Doughty AND asking the Kings to take on a cap dump is asking a whole hell of a lot. (If I understand what you're asking correctly)
I'd do that too.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle

I hope that you don't mean Lucic.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just in case people forgot, or didn't know Doughty's NMC is in effect now. In his new deal it was written to cover this season as well.

Reactions: lumbergh

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
The Class of 2003...the best draft class in NHL history - now approaching 16 years.
The wheels are falling off for almost all of them now.

The Kings have 3 of them - #9 overall Dion Phaneuf #11 overall Jeff Carter #13 overall Dustin Brown.

The Ducks have 3 of them as well: #19 overall Getzlaf #23 Kesler #28 Perry

Brown and Getzlaf still hanging in there, but pretty quickly fading away.
Brown, zero ESG in 20 games now.

Look at the Class of 2003. Quite remarkable. Nothing lasts forever.

2003 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

The Kings 2 weakest links - #9 and #11 overall of 2003.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I see what you mean.

Oilers won't give up what it would take to get Doughty.Listening to Futa in a interview a month ago or so, Kings trying to get back into playoffs in a couple years.Why would Kings trade Doughty to the Oilers without bringing back quality from your roster,projects and or picks?Blake's not running the bargin bin when trading Doughty.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts:

8. I think the teams with the best chances at signing Panarin long-term are Florida, Los Angeles, the Islanders and the Rangers. The only one that makes sense to take a shot at him for rental purposes is the Islanders. Boston hovers as a rental option, too. If the Islanders don’t get their top choices, GM Lou Lamoriello could consider old acquaintance Ilya Kovalchuk. Remember, the winger has control over his destination.

24. Carl Hagelin’s only got eight points in 38 games, but a lower price tag may tempt someone for a competitive guy with a good playoff history. Buffalo looked at it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Excuse me? Can you imagine the depth we would have while also having tons of open cap space if we made that deal. We are talking about four 1st round draft picks, with three of them being in the top 5. We could draft Hughes, Kakko, and Podkolzin, while having the cap space to sign Panarin. Don’t get me wrong, we would have a giant hole on D, but if we make a few trades or get depth D at UFA in the next two years, we will be lethal. Like the Leafs, we could outscore our D problems.

Panarin-Kopitar-Carter
Kovalchuk-Hughes-Podkolzin
Kempe-Kupari-Kakko
Wagner-Amadio-Brown

Again, Colorado would never do this, but if such a deal was available, I would do it in a heart beat.

Or, you trade a generational D and you get back,

Brett Connolly, Ryan Strome, and Michael Dal Colle,

Point being, you don't trade known generational talent, for kicks at the can unless it's a Karlsson situation where you have no choice, you have to get something that is proven, if you are trading Doughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad