Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Panarin rumors don't seem to make sense from a business standpoint. Would the Kings really want to tie up such a huge part of the cap to Doughty, Kopitar and Panarin? Add in Carter and Quick and that's 5 guys making a big chunk of money. The Kings really should be setting themselves up through the draft and freeing up money to use when they are in a better state.

It makes sense from a business standpoint. Teams want playoff money. They don't want to miss the playoffs year, after year, after year. It's easier than ever to do that, and it'll get even easier once Seattle gets here. Even if it's just 2 games worth of playoff money. If you can stretch it to 3 or 5, that's even better. If they feel Panarin can help to get a couple extra bucks, then they'll try to get him.

Unfortunately, pro sports aren't just about the sport of sports.

Also, why would Panarin want to re-sign with the Kings in their current state? He can go anywhere. At 27, his window is right now and he won't get the chance again to go to a team that is setup to win for awhile and be a part of it before he hits the other side of 30. There will be no shortage of suitors for his services.

It depends on what Panarin is looking for. The Rangers wrote the public letter that they're rebuilding. If he goes there, is he going there to win as soon as possible? Does he go to the Rangers little brother? They're having a great year this year, but Lamoriello also lost his touch in his later years in NJ. Does he voluntarily sign with the Panthers, one of the worst run franchises in the league for 2 decades?

The various reports might be inaccurate, but from what's been out there, it seems like Panarin wants a major city to play in, not necessarily somewhere he's going to win. I'm sure he wants to win, and if the team he goes to wins, that's great, but he doesn't seem to want to win in Columbus, OH.

Reactions: crassbonanza

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Most teams do. The guy is dynamic. Shed excess elsewhere. Carter, Lewis, Quick, Amart, Phaneuf, Toffoli, Kovy, are what is eating up space. Quick at least is serviceable. That’s how you shed salary. Panarin is at least worth the contract.

How do you propose to shed Carter, Lewis, Quick, AMart, Phaneuf, Toffoli and Kovalchuk? You make it sound like they can just move all those guys out with no problems. I am not arguing that they need to shed salary but I don't see any of the guys on this list being easily moved except Toffoli and AMart and unless you want to get screwed on the return, they can't just be shown the door. Kovalchuk will require the Kings to eat 20-30% of the salary "If" anyone wants him. Phaneuf is immovable. Carter doesn't want to go and will cause problems unless it's to a team he likes and one who can absorb his contract. There are not many teams that are fits for Quick and who can fit his number under their cap.

That's a ton of things that have to fall into place just to sign one guy.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
It makes sense from a business standpoint. Teams want playoff money. They don't want to miss the playoffs year, after year, after year. It's easier than ever to do that, and it'll get even easier once Seattle gets here. Even if it's just 2 games worth of playoff money. If you can stretch it to 3 or 5, that's even better. If they feel Panarin can help to get a couple extra bucks, then they'll try to get him.

Unfortunately, pro sports aren't just about the sport of sports.

It depends on what Panarin is looking for. The Rangers wrote the public letter that they're rebuilding. If he goes there, is he going there to win as soon as possible? Does he go to the Rangers little brother? They're having a great year this year, but Lamoriello also lost his touch in his later years in NJ. Does he voluntarily sign with the Panthers, one of the worst run franchises in the league for 2 decades?

The various reports might be inaccurate, but from what's been out there, it seems like Panarin wants a major city to play in, not necessarily somewhere he's going to win. I'm sure he wants to win, and if the team he goes to wins, that's great, but he doesn't seem to want to win in Columbus, OH.

Does Panarin get them automatically into the playoffs though? They have holes all over one of the oldest rosters in the league and not a lot of talent to plug in at the moment. It seems more like buying a sportscar that you can't really drive because you have a bunch of streets with speed bumps.

The Kings are probably going to be bad for awhile. This looks like a 3 year plan that will involve drafting and trading some contracts away rather than just sign the biggest name out there. If the Kings can maximize 3 high picks this year and what will probably be a Top 10 pick next year, in year 3, they can make some big moves.

I don't want the Kings to suck this year or next. I do want to be relevant for years though and not just make moves to put butts in the seats but never be in the conversation.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Does Panarin get them automatically into the playoffs though? They have holes all over one of the oldest rosters in the league and not a lot of talent to plug in at the moment. It seems more like buying a sportscar that you can't really drive because you have a bunch of streets with speed bumps.

The Kings are probably going to be bad for awhile. This looks like a 3 year plan that will involve drafting and trading some contracts away rather than just sign the biggest name out there. If the Kings can maximize 3 high picks this year and what will probably be a Top 10 pick next year, in year 3, they can make some big moves.

Probably not, but there's no guarantee that in 3 years anything is in place to do anything either. If not the playoffs, then maybe they can sucker a few extra people out of regular season ticket money if they bring in the big name. As the Kings have done most of the time in their history, and as most other teams do most of the time.

They're in the business of selling tickets one way or another. If a given team happens to be in a position to really win, that's a perk of being a fan. Lombardi's grand plan was this close to not working after almost 6 years. If Carter was happy in Columbus, the Kings don't win.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
How do you propose to shed Carter, Lewis, Quick, AMart, Phaneuf, Toffoli and Kovalchuk? You make it sound like they can just move all those guys out with no problems. I am not arguing that they need to shed salary but I don't see any of the guys on this list being easily moved except Toffoli and AMart and unless you want to get screwed on the return, they can't just be shown the door. Kovalchuk will require the Kings to eat 20-30% of the salary "If" anyone wants him. Phaneuf is immovable. Carter doesn't want to go and will cause problems unless it's to a team he likes and one who can absorb his contract. There are not many teams that are fits for Quick and who can fit his number under their cap.

That's a ton of things that have to fall into place just to sign one guy.
I expect Quick and Carter to be moved this offseason. Amart, Lewis, and Toffoli are easy to trade. They are stuck with Phaneuf unless they retain or buy him out. Kovy I threw on the list because he isn’t really worth his contract at this point. But he could be an incentive to Panarin and could see his numbers go up playing with him.

All in all, Panarin isn’t worth this much thought at this point.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I can’t see Panarin signing here, given his choice of teams. You have to think either NY team has the edge. The weird part is he’s recently fired his agent and signed with Bobrovsky’s agent. So maybe they’re a package deal?

Davit17

Jun 30, 2011
I can’t see Panarin signing here, given his choice of teams. You have to think either NY team has the edge. The weird part is he’s recently fired his agent and signed with Bobrovsky’s agent. So maybe they’re a package deal?
Quick, Carter, Toff + 1st for bob and panarin:)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why does every team employ the “bring the puck up with speed then inexplicably throw the puck back to a defenseman who also then brings the puck up with speed while all your team’s forwards are standing still on the blueline” powerplay strategy?

Reactions: dman3474

Davit17

Jun 30, 2011
I’d rather do Quick + Toffoli for Panarin

No way Carter goes back to Lumbus lol
We would have to add in that situation imo. Would you be willing to part ways with our 2020 1st? Maybe a protected first incase we’re as bad as we are now.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Still waiting on Macdermid to get one more shot with the big club. Dude gets shit on way too much here for his play last season(rookie year). When he first came up he was solid IMO, struggled later on before he was sent back down. This season is shot so it won’t hurt to give him another chance. I know plus/minus is a fairly useless stat, but MacD is basically the only player on the reign in the positives in that category...

3 things could happen if he gets called up...

1. He sucks, which is fine because then we probably get a top 5 draft pick...

2. He surprises and shows he’s capable of being an every day defenseman...

3. He beats the piss out of people...

Win win situation...

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
My biggest concern for this team's future is our defense. We have no talented defensemen developing in the AHL. Clague is the only one with some upside, but he has been questionable. For our 2019 1st pick, we likely will draft best player available, which will be a forward. Even if we draft good defensemen in later rounds in 2019 or in 2020, they will need at least 3 years to develop. Without Muzzin and Voynov defensemen, this team will not become a contender again. Hopefully, there is a Doughty/Dalhin like player in the 2020 draft, and we tank well to land one.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Still waiting on Macdermid to get one more shot with the big club. Dude gets **** on way too much here for his play last season(rookie year). When he first came up he was solid IMO, struggled later on before he was sent back down. This season is shot so it won’t hurt to give him another chance. I know plus/minus is a fairly useless stat, but MacD is basically the only player on the reign in the positives in that category...

3 things could happen if he gets called up...

1. He sucks, which is fine because then we probably get a top 5 draft pick...

2. He surprises and shows he’s capable of being an every day defenseman...

3. He beats the piss out of people...

Win win situation...

I was happy with MacDemid's play when he was up here. It was also refreshing to have a player in the lineup that can destroy most opposing team's tough guy. Unfortunately, there likely is no room for him up here. Walker and LaDue appear to be the most talented defensemen, and need to finally be given a shot to play down the stretch so that Blake can see where they fit in next year.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I think the odds favor that the Kings are going to drop the next two games against WASH and on the road at NASH. That will make it easier for Blake to sell the idea of moving as many guys as possible because while the Kings are not necessarily eliminated from a wildcard spot, they are 8 points behind MIN. If they were 2 points out of a spot, he would probably be in a tougher situation.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My biggest concern for this team's future is our defense. We have no talented defensemen developing in the AHL. Clague is the only one with some upside, but he has been questionable. For our 2019 1st pick, we likely will draft best player available, which will be a forward. Even if we draft good defensemen in later rounds in 2019 or in 2020, they will need at least 3 years to develop. Without Muzzin and Voynov defensemen, this team will not become a contender again. Hopefully, there is a Doughty/Dalhin like player in the 2020 draft, and we tank well to land one.

The Kings are pretty high on Mikey Anderson, Austin Strand, and Markus Phillips, and there still high on Daniel Brickley. I wouldn't say Clague is the only defenseman we have with upside.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I was happy with MacDemid's play when he was up here. It was also refreshing to have a player in the lineup that can destroy most opposing team's tough guy. Unfortunately, there likely is no room for him up here. Walker and LaDue appear to be the most talented defensemen, and need to finally be given a shot to play down the stretch so that Blake can see where they fit in next year.

I see MacDermid as Phaneuf's replacement. Blake should do whatever it takes to rid this team Phaneuf at the TDL, even if it means retaining 50% of that contract. It might even be necessary to send over a 7th or 6th round pick for that other team doing us a favor. I wouldn't deal a higher pick than 6th or 7th, however.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't think any team will take Carter. The best thing to do is move him to wing to play with Kopitar and Kovy next year. The second line can be Toffoli, Brown, and one of the 2019 1st pick center, Kupari, Kempe, or if a miracle happens Vilardi. We have plenty of options on the bottom 6, and the new coach can rearrange as necessary.

If we make the playoffs in 2 years, having Carter as a 3C would give us strong depth. Hopefully, he will be driven to compete by then since it is the playoffs.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Kings are pretty high on Mikey Anderson, Austin Strand, and Markus Phillips, and there still high on Daniel Brickley. I wouldn't say Clague is the only defenseman we have with upside.
All look like they could make the NHL, but none of them - Clague included - are high-end prospects.

The organization badly needs a high-end defensive prospect who projects to be more than 3-6 on a depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad