Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I've sold DVDs at a garage sale and gotten more back than Blake got for Thompson.

I figured he at least had toaster-in-ok-condition value.
It's like selling used games at Gamestop and they offer you a nickel back.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Maybe he’s not. I just can’t imagine some team wouldn’t give a 6th or 7th for him straight up, and I’d rather have an extra draft pick than move up ~10 spots from 130ish to 120ish. We’ll never know if he could get a pick straight up, unfortunately. Kings could’ve afforded to retain on his remaining salary this year.

Yeah, but he has a 10-team no trade list so there is the possibility that one of those teams that would maybe do a 7th is on his list.

He basically is a 7th round draft pick. At the draft, the Kings could like a guy and would have had to move the Chicago 5th and another pick to move up. Now they've done that while retaining all of their own picks.

As for retaining, I'm sure AEG isn't thrilled with the actual dollars they are putting out for this garbage season. A drop in the bucket to them, sure, but I'm sure Blake endeared himself a bit by dumping this contract now.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Yeah, but he has a 10-team no trade list so there is the possibility that one of those teams that would maybe do a 7th is on his list.

He basically is a 7th round draft pick. At the draft, the Kings could like a guy and would have had to move the Chicago 5th and another pick to move up. Now they've done that while retaining all of their own picks.

As for retaining, I'm sure AEG isn't thrilled with the actual dollars they are putting out for this garbage season. A drop in the bucket to them, sure, but I'm sure Blake endeared himself a bit by dumping this contract now.

Sounds like he waived the limited no-trade clause for Montreal, so it may not have been a major impediment if the knew the Kings were sending him somewhere he had a playoff chance.

Thompson’s remaining cap hit this year is $488k (I don’t know his actual dollars owed the rest of the year, but this is a good number to work from), so any retention really would be minimal actual dollars to AEG. I believe the most a team can retain is 50%, which would be $244k. Really nothing at all to AEG.

An extra $250k in remaining cap space (assuming the Kings retained 50% in my hypothetical) could have meant a lot to a playoff team looking to navigate the cap, though.

I understand we’re talking about Nate f***ing Thompson here, but my objection is based on the principle at issue (asset management), not the actual player. He may not have had any independent value straight up for a late draft pick to any other team out there which would destroy my premise. We’ll never know, unfortunately. I just think Blake could have managed his assets better (and yes, Thompson is an asset; the issue is whether he has any independent value).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If huberdeau is truly up for trade and FLA needs the cap space....can LA make a solid offer for him, or too much?

I don't get why he would be available. He is worth more than $5.9M.

Seems like Florida is going hard for the Columbus guys but I thought they would be a good landing spot for Quick.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I was hoping for a 6th rounder. The trade is basically the equivalent of getting a late 7th rounder in 2021. It's Nate Thompson. He wasn't going to get much of a return. We're talking about a guy who probably wouldn't have even played with Lewis now back.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't get why he would be available. He is worth more than $5.9M.

Seems like Florida is going hard for the Columbus guys but I thought they would be a good landing spot for Quick.

He's available because they are going after CBS guys, that's what is going around...

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was hoping for a 6th rounder. The trade is basically the equivalent of getting a late 7th rounder in 2021. It's Nate Thompson. He wasn't going to get much of a return. We're talking about a guy who probably wouldn't have even played with Lewis now back.

Oh baby, Nate was going to play tonight at the expense of Wagner.

The best part about getting rid of him now is that WD won't be able to play him over someone that has a future in the organization.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
The worst part of this is the Kings have one less asset now than they started the day with.

-Thompson
-5th

+4th

Bad asset management.
Disagree. The main asset we pick up is an open contract. We did not have to take a contract back from the Habs. Several prospects (Anderson, Phillips, Durzi) need to be signed to pro deals ASAP.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He's available because they are going after CBS guys, that's what is going around...
They already have $20M in cap space next year and if they bob you have to think it means Luiongo or Reimer money are moved out somehow.

Trading Hubes now for summer cap room makes no sense. If they really need to they can move him in the summer where there will be a larger market for him

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh baby, Nate was going to play tonight at the expense of Wagner.

The best part about getting rid of him now is that WD won't be able to play him over someone that has a future in the organization.
Again, I will go back to the "You can't start Pena at 1st base tonight.", analogy. Good job Blake.

It would be interesting to know if Blake is getting any calls regarding Quick.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Now to dress up Hagelin all pretty like. Make him presentable. Corner the 4th round market.
Get the crop report from Beeks and corner the market on FCOJ.

In all seriousness though, getting a few picks in this draft to allow for flexibility to move around if you see players falling that you like. Also I don't know what the total contracts look like, but i remember a few years ago Lombardi went into the draft with quite a few picks, but didn't actually draft all the spots, because the team was up against the contract limit.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Insert Stone Cold Steve Austin's glass shattering with Lewis walking out

While this is funny, I can see Lewis having a future with the organization moving forward.

The team won't simply be 11/23/8/3 and a bunch of rookies. There will be veterans and Lewis has all the makings of the good vet in the room that is still needed during a rebuild.

I think he is on this team until next year's TDL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
While this is funny, I can see Lewis having a future with the organization moving forward.

The team won't simply be 11/23/8/3 and a bunch of rookies. There will be veterans and Lewis has all the makings of the good vet in the room that is still needed during a rebuild.

I think he is on this team until next year's TDL.

Lewis's year has been derailed with his injury but he is LA's swiss army knife. He has a low cap hit and can do many things. I am completely ok with him being a King moving forward.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Disagree. The main asset we pick up is an open contract. We did not have to take a contract back from the Habs. Several prospects (Anderson, Phillips, Durzi) need to be signed to pro deals ASAP.

Getting a draft pick back for Thompson straight up would not have created any immediate contract slot issues. Thompson is a UFA anyway so I’m not sure that would have been an issue at all.

Edit: just checked Capfriendly; the only prospect that needs to be signed anytime soon is Phillips by June 1, 2019. Los Angeles Kings Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Kings were at 46/50 contracts with Thompson, so there definitely was not any concern there. My stance remains the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki