Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The pick moves them up about 10 spots. It could also easily be moved later on Draft day. These types of picks come into play when a team wants someone and needs to jump to get him. It could be the Kings wanting a guy in the 3rd and they move a pick for the guy. It could be that they want to jump a few spots in the first or the second and need to pair it to get there. It's just another card to play.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, but man, that doesn't feel good...... Getting rid of Thompson...ok...sure...but having to add a 5th to get a 4th? He had more value than that, imo, could have waited another week or so when more contending teams want to shore up, get a 3rd out of him etc.

I feel that it shows that Blake is not planning for the Kings to be in the playoffs. I don't think that they trade a guy like Thompson who is good on faceoffs and plays hard otherwise. Blake is executing his plan which started with Muzzin and I would expect Hagelin next to go. The money is insignificant that they are saving since he falls off the books anyway.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I feel that it shows that Blake is not planning for the Kings to be in the playoffs. I don't think that they trade a guy like Thompson who is good on faceoffs and plays hard otherwise. Blake is executing his plan which started with Muzzin and I would expect Hagelin next to go. The money is insignificant that they are saving since he falls off the books anyway.

I don't disagree, just feel that the return, could have been better...Boyle's getting a 2nd....we should have been able to get at 4th without the 5th, or a 3rd with the 5th etc

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Kings are now in possession of the following picks in 2019:

LA 1st
TOR 1st
LA 2nd
LA 3rd
LA 4th
CGY 4th (from Montreal)
LA 5th
LA 6th
LA 7th

I think it is safe to assume that more will be added to that list by the trade deadline.

That would seem to be the plan. The more picks that they acquire, the more that they can package to move up if needed. If they move a guy like Quick, it also could be for a 1st next year.

If they can get another 2nd rounder, they can probably put both together to jump into the 1st if they see a guy that they want. It's really playing the long game so we won't see a real ROI until Draft Day.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I doubt he had much value really. Saturated market. Better than nothing I guess.

It could literally--unlikely, but still--be a one-pick difference.

It's quite possibly hardly better than nothing, even 'future considerations' usually becomes an independent pick. I'd rather have a 7th on its own.

Really not a big deal because who cares it's nate thompson but sloppy asset management by Blake.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's been traded in June 2014 for 4th and 7th rd picks in 2015, and Nick Shore last year(who was later traded for a 7th rd pick, and is now in Russia). That the Kings basically gave him to Montreal for nothing follows that trend line. His value has gone down over time.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I swear I had a dollar in my pocket earlier today but I can't find it now. Its only a dollar, so I don't care all that much, and it might turn up later, but still.

- what this trade feels like.

Reactions: YP44

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You’re expecting way too much for a 34 year old who put up 6 points in 53 games and carries a 1.6 cap hit...

I bet you can't find literally anyone who has been traded for less in the modern era. "future considerations" is more.

I would take an independent 6th or 7th over moving up 10 spots in a middle round.

Again it's no big deal because ultimately it's Nate Thompson and this pick will likely be nothing because the other picks would likely be nothing as well. Wasn't holding my breath for a big return. It's just such an empty move, like go get SOMETHING or wait till the deadline if you can't. What's the rush?

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Blake is going to move more guys if he can. It could be anyone. Hagelin will be gone for sure regardless. They will move him even if it only brings back a 3rd because he is a UFA. They will hold out for whatever they can get but he is gone. If they can get a great return for Carter, Quick, Toffoli, Kovy or Martinez then they probably would move them. Lewis could be moved. I really think that the only guys who are completely off the market are Doughty, Kopitar, Clifford and Brown. I tend to think that Martinez as well just because you trade him and you essentially lose 2 Top 4 Dman in one season. That's really tough to replace.

I don't pay attention to anything with regards to the experts saying who is going to be held back or moved. They are guessing for the most part just like we are. It's fun to watch but Blake is going to try and get assets that don't apply to the cap and won't need to be protected in the next expansion draft.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I bet you can't find literally anyone who has been traded for less in the modern era. "future considerations" is more.

I would take an independent 6th or 7th over moving up 10 spots in a middle round.

Again it's no big deal because ultimately it's Nate Thompson and this pick will likely be nothing because the other picks would likely be nothing as well. Wasn't holding my breath for a big return. It's just such an empty move, like go get SOMETHING or wait till the deadline if you can't. What's the rush?
I’ll take the ten honestly. Fill like Blake did him a bit of a solid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki