Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The problem with trading him is the years. That 3rd year hurts in terms of value. The 2nd year even hurts in terms of value.

Well yeah, but what are the odds of that? I imagine they would be quite low. Maybe if he was a UFA with the year he's having. Like all the bad contracts the Kings have had, the problem is all the extra years after the current year.

The third year is most likely the only reason he signed with the Kings since they were not considered a Stanley Cup level team even with him. They overpaid for him and that's what will be the road block unless they pick up a portion of the money owed. If they do, then it makes him easier to deal. If Kovalchuk were a pure rental, teams would be jumping over themselves most likely to grab him.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
It depends on the free agent. Scott Niedermayer delivered a Cup to Anaheim. Without him, no chance that happens. This predates the salary cap, but Dallas signing Belfour and Hull brought them Cups, and Detroit had success with UFA signings helping them win Cups, like Brian Rafalski in the cap era.

In the right setting, the right match will exist where it makes sense for the team and the player, so I wouldn’t generalize and say no major UFA signing will pay dividends. The cap issues are more amplified when your middle of the road players are making a ridiculous amount of money. The top players will always get paid, whereas the dime a dozen are the ones teams need to be careful with, like a Riley Nash, or a Jeff Finger.

15+ years ago. The ducks had the young players in Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan that we don't have. The red wings had won their division for 6 consecutive seasons when they signed Rafalski.

Kovalchuk, Gaborik, B. Richards, Parise, Suter, Vanek, Ladd, Lucic, Okposo on and on "major free agents" of the last 10 years that have failed to win with the team they sign the contract with. Most of the time the contracts start looking pretty bad. I'm not generalizing and saying no major UFA signing will pay dividends, because as I said Hossa with the Hawks certainly was a major signing and Tavares sure looks good on a stacked leafs team, but all of these are exceptions to the rule. Hossa, Tavares, and the players you mentioned all signed with teams filled with young star players on ELCs or bridge contracts. We don't have those. A major free agent isn't going to put us over the hump this offseason, or likely next offseason.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
A lot of those UFA names I’d chalk up as good support players to add on top of an already talented roster, but in most cases, like Ladd, or JVR more recently, they get overpaid because you have 10-20+ teams pursuing goal scorers.

And a team like the Kings, who have historically been inept at drafting/developing goal scorers have to dip into free agency or the trade market to find any forwards who are capable of putting the puck in the net.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
15+ years ago. The ducks had the young players in Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan that we don't have. The red wings had won their division for 6 consecutive seasons when they signed Rafalski.

Kovalchuk, Gaborik, B. Richards, Parise, Suter, Vanek, Ladd, Lucic, Okposo on and on "major free agents" of the last 10 years that have failed to win with the team they sign the contract with. Most of the time the contracts start looking pretty bad. I'm not generalizing and saying no major UFA signing will pay dividends, because as I said Hossa with the Hawks certainly was a major signing and Tavares sure looks good on a stacked leafs team, but all of these are exceptions to the rule. Hossa, Tavares, and the players you mentioned all signed with teams filled with young star players on ELCs or bridge contracts. We don't have those. A major free agent isn't going to put us over the hump this offseason, or likely next offseason.

Good points, I think it reinforces theories also that the only way the Kings are going to get into the conversation is to draft well and the better the position, the better chance to get players that have star potential. That way, they can build from within, manage the salaries and explore acquisitions via trade or UFA down the road.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Grundstrom and a 1st is a fantastic return for the Muffin man. Throw in a hit or miss prospect like Durzi and baby you got a stew goin

SandyYoungGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The Blues getting 4 out of 4 vs. Nashville was just a disaster for all those garbage teams trying to get those WC spots.

Yeah, the 8th spot currently occupied (barely) by Minnesota is really the only spot up for grabs. I think Chicago will probably take it but the Kings might make it interesting if they keep playing the way they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $766.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki