Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
No matter how good Kovalchuk is playing, he’s still a 35 year old on a three year deal.

If he replicates his season next year, I can see some suitors at the deadline of 2020.

As of right now, he’s much more valuable to the Kings than anyone else.
I don’t think they are actively looking to deal him. I do think he could be had for pick if a team wants to eat all of his cap. I say you need a solid return if you’re going to retain on him.

Reactions: deaderhead28

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No matter how good Kovalchuk is playing, he’s still a 35 year old on a three year deal.

If he replicates his season next year, I can see some suitors at the deadline of 2020.

As of right now, he’s much more valuable to the Kings than anyone else.
How is Kovalchuk more valuable to the Kings than to a team contending for a Stanley Cup?

Any contending team looking to improve their power play, or add depth in their top 6 can use Kovalchuk. Injuries happen during the playoffs, especially for teams that go deep. Kovalchuk is a proven clutch scorer who could make the difference between winning a playoff round and losing it.

If the Kings retain some of his cap hit, which should be no big deal for them, then I could see several teams being interested in Kovalchuk. If I were Blake, I would start with the Islanders.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I really don't think Toffoli is available.

Toffoli is available. They aren't going to pay him $6 million or even more depending on the market once his deal is up after next year. The Kings are in a salary cap Hell. They have no money at all unless they can move these guys.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Toffoli is available. They aren't going to pay him $6 million or even more depending on the market once his deal is up after next year. The Kings are in a salary cap Hell. They have no money at all unless they can move these guys.

Most of the reporters covering the team believe his name is close to or off the table. Never say never, but he's only 26 and can be part of the process. He hasn't had a 30 goal season for 4 years, why do you think he would be able to command $6 million with 34-49 point seasons?

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
How is Kovalchuk more valuable to the Kings than to a team contending for a Stanley Cup?

Any contending team looking to improve their power play, or add depth in their top 6 can use Kovalchuk. Injuries happen during the playoffs, especially for teams that go deep. Kovalchuk is a proven clutch scorer who could make the difference between winning a playoff round and losing it.

If the Kings retain some of his cap hit, which should be no big deal for them, then I could see several teams being interested in Kovalchuk. If I were Blake, I would start with the Islanders.

Kovalchuk is a guy a team picks up to make a run. He fits a number of teams in that regard. If some feel that he is the biggest leader in the clubhouse, what does that say about the other leaders?

He has played well enough this year and if the Kings were a team that had a legit chance of being anything more than a tuneup for the top teams in the playoffs, I would keep him. At this point though, the Kings have to set themselves up to be relevant in the coming years more than anything else.

I don't think that people really embrace losing games. I know that I don't. I do feel though that there is a great opportunity for this team to get a highly skilled, elite forward in the top 5-6. That is the only way that the Kings are going to find that future star because they can't trade or pay for it. Sure, they can get one anywhere in the draft but those top guys all are pretty damn good and I want one of them.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Most of the reporters covering the team believe his name is close to or off the table. Never say never, but he's only 26 and can be part of the process. He hasn't had a 30 goal season for 4 years, why do you think he would be able to command $6 million with 34-49 point seasons?

People keep talking about Toffoli turning the corner and I will admit that he has the ability to score 30 goals. You can see it when he is motivated. I am not sure what he really is though. He is kind of an enigma. If he isn't scoring 25 goals, he really doesn't serve much of a purpose when it comes to having to spend money that the Kings really don't have. Guys like Toffoli are expected to carry the load when it comes to the scoresheet. He has only one real job and that's to put the puck in the net. He doesn't play much of a two-way game and isn't a great skater.

He made $4.6 million per year on his last contract. He is going to make more because he took a discount according to the team back then to get the security. You never see a guy his age take less money and a natural bump is going to be at a minimum $5.5 or more so I see $6 for 3 years as a number he could chase and most likely get. Are we really at a point where we want to spend that kind of money on a player who really is somewhat lazy.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I just don’t see a great return for Kovalchuk even if we retain. And at that point, we may as well keep him for the duration of his deal as a mentor for players like Kempe and Kupari. I could be wrong.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I just don’t see a great return for Kovalchuk even if we retain. And at that point, we may as well keep him for the duration of his deal as a mentor for players like Kempe and Kupari. I could be wrong.
As with any trade, it would depend on the return. I think Kovalchuk holds more value than some might think, but I could be wrong as well.

If Blake can get a highly regarded prospect, or a 1st round pick he has to consider it. I would even do it for a prospect and a 2nd round pick.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
People keep talking about Toffoli turning the corner and I will admit that he has the ability to score 30 goals. You can see it when he is motivated. I am not sure what he really is though. He is kind of an enigma. If he isn't scoring 25 goals, he really doesn't serve much of a purpose when it comes to having to spend money that the Kings really don't have. Guys like Toffoli are expected to carry the load when it comes to the scoresheet. He has only one real job and that's to put the puck in the net. He doesn't play much of a two-way game and isn't a great skater.

He made $4.6 million per year on his last contract. He is going to make more because he took a discount according to the team back then to get the security. You never see a guy his age take less money and a natural bump is going to be at a minimum $5.5 or more so I see $6 for 3 years as a number he could chase and most likely get. Are we really at a point where we want to spend that kind of money on a player who really is somewhat lazy.
Toffoli's contract didn't turn out to be a discount for the Kings, and I wouldn't expect Blake to give him a raise on his next deal. If a raise is what Toffoli is expecting for his inconsistent, uninspired play, then he should be moved out of LA as soon as possible.

The Kings don't need any more paycheck players.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It has already been reported that Toffoli is safe for now and theres a 1% chance he is traded.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I'm sure the Kings are going to be fine on the salary starting next year.Toffolis next contract isnt a concern right now.His trade value is low.Again it was reported Toffoli is safe now.There was a 1% chance Toffoli was moved.Kings are not in salary cap hell:laugh:

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
This is my life changing view:

I am so tired for fighting to get to 8th place. There is a better way to get improve.

I fully embrace the tank.

Today there are way too many teams below us in the standings (4).

Reactions: kenito7

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Agreed. The cap will be somewhere around $84-$85 million next year. Even with the Doughty contract kicking in, they should be ok.

There isn't a single major UFA that the Kings can acquire. That is not a good salary cap situation. Doughty and Kopitar are taking up far too much space for a team this average. Add in Brown and you have 3 guys who are taking up 30% of the Cap. That will keep the Kings from being able to do anything to upgrade this team significantly.

It would be one thing if the Kings had a lot of kids that they could incorporate into the top lines but they don't. They have some interesting prospects that have upside but they are short of guys as a whole that are considered elite prospects.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
There isn't a single major UFA that the Kings can acquire. That is not a good salary cap situation. Doughty and Kopitar are taking up far too much space for a team this average. Those two alone will keep the Kings from being able to do anything to upgrade this team with regards to a Top 6 winger.

Not without moving significant salary in a trade for ELC's or picks. If Quick was traded, maybe Amart or Carts obviously that opens up some room. Would like us to be in on Stone, even during a rebuild due to his age and he can put the puck in the net, but salary has to be out of the way for that to happen.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
There isn't a single major UFA that the Kings can acquire. That is not a good salary cap situation. Doughty and Kopitar are taking up far too much space for a team this average. Add in Brown and you have 3 guys who are taking up 30% of the Cap. That will keep the Kings from being able to do anything to upgrade this team significantly.

It would be one thing if the Kings had a lot of kids that they could incorporate into the top lines but they don't. They have some interesting prospects that have upside but they are short of guys as a whole that are considered elite prospects.

Also, I think that reporting that a guy is safe could be a lot of GM talk. Outside of Doughty, Brown and Kopitar, anyone can be had for the right price. Blake even mocked TSN which was saying that they would make trades in the Summer rather than now.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
As with any trade, it would depend on the return. I think Kovalchuk holds more value than some might think, but I could be wrong as well.

If Blake can get a highly regarded prospect, or a 1st round pick he has to consider it. I would even do it for a prospect and a 2nd round pick.

I would do either of those trades in a heartbeat.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would do either of those trades in a heartbeat.
It may depend on injuries that occur to players on contending teams over the next week or so, as well as the pressure a GM may be feeling to make a splash to go that extra round in the playoffs. I could see the Islanders being in on Kovalchuk. He is well known in the NY area, and Kovalchuk and Uncle Lou seem to like and respect each other.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Major UFAs don't win cups with the team they sign with. Hossa with the Hawks in 2010, maybe Tavares will have a chance over the next couple seasons. But other than that the major UFAs just amplify their team's cap issues.

Salary isn't our issue, we've already shed nearly $8 mil with Muzzin and Pearson (considering Hagelin is UFA).

Our problem is that we don't have a bunch of quality young players who we need to make salary cap space for. Our young player depth is terrible and signing Stone isn't going to fix that.

If anything, the Salary Cap is an advantage for us, we can retain on Martinez, Toffoli, Hagelin, Lewis, Thompson, Kovalchuk to help competitive teams fit them under the cap and get better value out of them. The retention will be off the books by the time we need the cap space back.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Major UFAs don't win cups with the team they sign with. Hossa with the Hawks in 2010, maybe Tavares will have a chance over the next couple seasons. But other than that the major UFAs just amplify their team's cap issues.

Salary isn't our issue, we've already shed nearly $8 mil with Muzzin and Pearson (considering Hagelin is UFA).

Our problem is that we don't have a bunch of quality young players who we need to make salary cap space for. Our young player depth is terrible and signing Stone isn't going to fix that.

If anything, the Salary Cap is an advantage for us, we can retain on Martinez, Toffoli, Hagelin, Lewis, Thompson, Kovalchuk to help competitive teams fit them under the cap and get better value out of them. The retention will be off the books by the time we need the cap space back.

It depends on the free agent. Scott Niedermayer delivered a Cup to Anaheim. Without him, no chance that happens. This predates the salary cap, but Dallas signing Belfour and Hull brought them Cups, and Detroit had success with UFA signings helping them win Cups, like Brian Rafalski in the cap era.

In the right setting, the right match will exist where it makes sense for the team and the player, so I wouldn’t generalize and say no major UFA signing will pay dividends. The cap issues are more amplified when your middle of the road players are making a ridiculous amount of money. The top players will always get paid, whereas the dime a dozen are the ones teams need to be careful with, like a Riley Nash, or a Jeff Finger.

Reactions: SlimCharles

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kovalchuk is a guy a team picks up to make a run. He fits a number of teams in that regard. If some feel that he is the biggest leader in the clubhouse, what does that say about the other leaders?

He has played well enough this year and if the Kings were a team that had a legit chance of being anything more than a tuneup for the top teams in the playoffs, I would keep him. At this point though, the Kings have to set themselves up to be relevant in the coming years more than anything else.

I don't think that people really embrace losing games. I know that I don't. I do feel though that there is a great opportunity for this team to get a highly skilled, elite forward in the top 5-6. That is the only way that the Kings are going to find that future star because they can't trade or pay for it. Sure, they can get one anywhere in the draft but those top guys all are pretty damn good and I want one of them.

The problem with trading him is the years. That 3rd year hurts in terms of value. The 2nd year even hurts in terms of value.

Well yeah, but what are the odds of that? I imagine they would be quite low. Maybe if he was a UFA with the year he's having. Like all the bad contracts the Kings have had, the problem is all the extra years after the current year.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The problem with trading him is the years. That 3rd year hurts in terms of value. The 2nd year even hurts in terms of value.

Well yeah, but what are the odds of that? I imagine they would be quite low. Maybe if he was a UFA with the year he's having. Like all the bad contracts the Kings have had, the problem is all the extra years after the current year.
It's a lot less painful for the team getting Kovalchuk, if the Kings retain 50% of the cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad