Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
For many years the Kings traded high pick for bad players. Finally, a little bit under Dave Taylor and under Dean Lombardi, the Kings kept their picks. Though, toward the end of Lombardi's term he made some deals that really hurt us.

Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Martin Jones, Colin Miller, Erik Cernak are all in the league still - and proving valuable players.

Mike Richards is not in the NHL. Lucic is barely in the NHL. Sekera is oft injured. Bishop is a #1 in Dallas, but for how much longer and Lehtonen almost stole the job last year. Hell, even Penner is years out of the NHL.

If you believe the Kings win the cups with Schenn on Simmonds instead of Richards , you're nuts. That one hit in the 2012 playoff vs the Canucks set the tone for the 3 year run.
Unfortunately , that hit in the 2013 playoffs ended Richards career.
As for Simmonds, he wasn't the same player he is in Philly and neither was Schenn when they played in LA .Both were used completely different in Philly. Richards brought a winning attitude that can't be measured in picks or players.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The big one for me was when they acquired Williams from Carolina during the 2008/09 season. Stanley Cup winner a few years earlier in Carolina, good teammate and a fierce competitor.

Then the Kings were able to get Rob “The Piece” Scuderi to come from Pittsburgh as a free agent the summer of 09’.

He had just come off winning a Cup with the Pens and was an underrated part of their club.

You could argue Williams was the initial guy that had brought in that winning culture/attitude to the organization and Dean built off that by looking to bring in more of the same which included Scuderi.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The big one for me was when they acquired Williams from Carolina during the 2008/09 season. Stanley Cup winner a few years earlier in Carolina, good teammate and a fierce competitor.

Then the Kings were able to get Rob “The Piece” Scuderi to come from Pittsburgh as a free agent the summer of 09’.

He had just come off winning a Cup with the Pens and was an underrated part of their club.

You could argue Williams was the initial guy that had brought in that winning culture/attitude to the organization and Dean built off that by looking to bring in more of the same which included Scuderi.

And remember how FORMER sour puss Kings blogger Rich Hammond almost blew the deal because he leaked it before it happened? Cost the Kings an extra pick I believe.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
And remember how FORMER sour puss Kings blogger Rich Hammond almost blew the deal because he leaked it before it happened? Cost the Kings an extra pick I believe.

Kevin Lowe started acting up (like he did when he made an offer sheet to Vanek, then later Penner), so Dean had to include a 2nd to shut his ass up. In the end, it all worked out and that 2nd was meaningless.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yep, and Hammond was fired .:nod:

Well, Hammond ended up stepping down in 2012 after he ran a story concerning a lockout with quotes from Kevin Westgarth, who was then the Kings' NHLPA representative. The Kings got into some hot water over it from the league and pulled it from his site, thus preventing Hammond from doing his job, so he stepped down.

It's a tough position to be in as an extension of the team's media/public relations. His job is to report on things, but the league and team want to control what he reports. That's goes against the ideology of a journalist.

You can read all about the saga here:
LA Kings writer Rich Hammond leaves job after NHL uses editorial control on reporting

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Well, Hammond ended up stepping down in 2012 after he ran a story concerning a lockout with quotes from Kevin Westgarth, who was then the Kings' NHLPA representative. The Kings got into some hot water over it from the league and pulled it from his site, thus preventing Hammond from doing his job, so he stepped down.

It's a tough position to be in as an extension of the team's media/public relations. His job is to report on things, but the league and team want to control what he reports. That's goes against the ideology of a journalist.

You can read all about the saga here:
LA Kings writer Rich Hammond leaves job after NHL uses editorial control on reporting

Whatever the reason, I know Lombardi wasn't happy with him.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

Kovy feels your pain. At least he wasn't benched for an entire period. WD has found a new guy for his doghouse.

I have zero sympathy for Phaneuf. Not that I dislike him or anything, but we know what he is. It's time to see if LaDue and Walker (and maybe even Fantenberg for that matter) can become serviceable players long-term.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’d rather see this guy back on the blueline than Phaneuf, and Ellerby sucked too.

Fun fact, Rob Scuderi had more points in his last season here than Phaneuf does now, and Scuderi was much older.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I have zero sympathy for Phaneuf. Not that I dislike him or anything, but we know what he is. It's time to see if LaDue and Walker (and maybe even Fantenberg for that matter) can become serviceable players long-term.

Fantenberg, Walker, and LaDue all looked extremely good against Philly. The pucked seemed to move twice as fast from the back end up the ice - let’s hope that’s the same against Boston and Phaneuf is still in the press box.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Lombardi gave up a 1st, another 1st, a former 5th overall pick who was considered to be the best prospect in the league at the time, and a solid 22 year old, before he ever got the team out of the 1st round. All that only got the team to 13th overall in the league, and DL had to bring his friend in off the farm to coach the team(that's as an old boy hockey phrase as you'll ever hear) in order to save his own job. The only difference between that and previous GMs in Kings history that traded the future, was this time it actually worked. Amazingly, because they did blow the 4th overall pick, and got nothing for it. You don't normally get to do that in a rebuild and still win. Which goes well together with the way they won both Cups, on amazing and ridiculous runs that no other teams have done.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Fantenberg, Walker, and LaDue all looked extremely good against Philly. The pucked seemed to move twice as fast from the back end up the ice - let’s hope that’s the same against Boston and Phaneuf is still in the press box.

I believe it's already been said that Phaneuf will be in for LaDue today.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’d rather see this guy back on the blueline than Phaneuf, and Ellerby sucked too.

Fun fact, Rob Scuderi had more points in his last season here than Phaneuf does now, and Scuderi was much older.

Remember that girl who came to the boards for a bit after LA picked him up? Forgot that was in 2013.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If you believe the Kings win the cups with Schenn on Simmonds instead of Richards , you're nuts. That one hit in the 2012 playoff vs the Canucks set the tone for the 3 year run.
Unfortunately , that hit in the 2013 playoffs ended Richards career.
As for Simmonds, he wasn't the same player he is in Philly and neither was Schenn when they played in LA .Both were used completely different in Philly. Richards brought a winning attitude that can't be measured in picks or players.

Utah has been spewing that shit about Simmonds/Schenn for years now...and people keep biting. I'd like to think he's not that stupid and just enjoys stirring the pot.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Kovy for Spooner + Manning + Kassian + Draft Pick (not a 1st, could be a 2nd)

The Kings would get out of Kovy's contract one season earlier. The Oilers would get maybe a top 6 winger for McDavid

Oiler fan here... how has Kovy been this year, considering this is only getting soft-no’s?

Would something like Lucic@50% and a second for Kovy @50% be of any interest?

Basically the cap hits stay the same (more or less) for both teams for the next two years, then after that the Kings have Milan for an extra two years at 3mil/per (and ~1.5mil/per in actual salary), so he’d actually be a moveable contract at that point.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Oiler fan here... how has Kovy been this year, considering this is only getting soft-no’s?

Would something like Lucic@50% and a second for Kovy @50%.

Basically the cap hits stay the same for both teams for the next two years, then after that the Kings have Milan for an extra two years at 3mil/per (and ~1.5mil/per in actual salary), so he’d actually be a moveable contract at that point.

NO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!

Loud enough ;)

Reactions: savemefromtears

riznat

Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe

Basically the cap hits stay the same (more or less) for both teams for the next two years, then after that the Kings have Milan for an extra two years at 3mil/per (and ~1.5mil/per in actual salary), so he’d actually be a moveable contract at that point.
Kovalchuk is better than lucic, easy no.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

Do you think Kovalchuk is bad or something?

Because he's not. He's actually one of our most skilled players. We don't plan on trading him for a 3rd/4th line grinder.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

No reason MacDermid should be in the AHL while Phaneuf gets regular minutes.

He's just as good at skating if not better, meaner, and is younger by a decade.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
NO, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO!

Loud enough ;)

Haha fair enough. Kovy strikes me a decent fit for the Oil, but they just can’t add a big contract without something going back.

Lucic has been better since the turn of calander (not “justifying his contract” good, but at least it’s a “he’s a positive impact on the ice” good). With him everything seems to be mental, and not clicking in Edmonton seemed to get inside his head. I could see him doing fine back in South California (or Boston).

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Haha fair enough. Kovy strikes me a decent fit for the Oil, but they just can’t add a big contract without something going back.

Lucic has been better since the turn of calander (not “justifying his contract” good, but at least it’s a “he’s a positive impact on the ice” good). With him everything seems to be mental, and not clicking in Edmonton seemed to get inside his head. I could see him doing fine back in South California (or Boston).
I liked him in LA, but that contract is one of the worst in NHL history. He should of stayed in LA honestly. He wasn’t a bad fit and he still has friends on the team. Glad he didn’t now tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad