Rumor: KINGS 2018-19 Season- Luc/Rob ****Show/ Sell Everyone!! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I realize its possible that there were not 20+ teams bidding on our stud Nate Thompson.

But to essentially trade him to move up somewhere between 10-15 spots in the MIDDLE rounds of a draft? WTF?

Only way I'm satisfied with this is if Blake publicly says this was the absolute best he could do because it was the only offer on the table

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I bet you can't find literally anyone who has been traded for less in the modern era. "future considerations" is more.

I would take an independent 6th or 7th over moving up 10 spots in a middle round.

Again it's no big deal because ultimately it's Nate Thompson and this pick will likely be nothing because the other picks would likely be nothing as well. Wasn't holding my breath for a big return. It's just such an empty move, like go get SOMETHING or wait till the deadline if you can't. What's the rush?

It's a trade chip and a 4th, no matter where it is, is still going to hold more value than a 6th or 7th. I doubt that they keep this pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Maybe Kings scouts really value that spot in the 4th round? They've had some decent luck in the previous two drafts with some promising selections in Aidan Dudas in 2018, and Mikey Anderson and Markus Phillips both being selected in the 4th round in 2017.

As stated earlier, it's like moving up on draft day for a UFA player.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I bet you can't find literally anyone who has been traded for less in the modern era. "future considerations" is more.

I would take an independent 6th or 7th over moving up 10 spots in a middle round.

Again it's no big deal because ultimately it's Nate Thompson and this pick will likely be nothing because the other picks would likely be nothing as well. Wasn't holding my breath for a big return. It's just such an empty move, like go get SOMETHING or wait till the deadline if you can't. What's the rush?
It's a glorified version of a bag of pucks.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Just moving him out and opening up a spot for a younger player is a plus. Would love a 3rd for Hags, but would settle for a 4th. Just keep moving out older, higher cost players — bringing up younger players from ONT. we need to see what these players can do - especially with some of the players coming from juniors/Euro (JAD, Vilardi, Kumpari, etc). And not forgetting Grundstrom. Not saying they’ll be in LA next year, but we need to keep moving players up to keep us out of cap hell.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think the return at the deadline could have been marginally better but here's the thing:

- He could get hurt
- He's potentially blocking young guys from playing until the TDL

He does not hold much value at all. Totally worth it if Blake selects a guy with the CGY 4th that he would have had to maybe trade a separate original LA pick for.

Hagelin is the guy that he needs to at least get a 3rd rounder coming back. I think he at least has that much value.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Just moving him out and opening up a spot for a younger player is a plus. Would love a 3rd for Hags, but would settle for a 4th. Just keep moving out older, higher cost players — bringing up younger players from ONT. we need to see what these players can do - especially with some of the players coming from juniors/Euro (JAD, Vilardi, Kumpari, etc). And not forgetting Grundstrom. Not saying they’ll be in LA next year, but we need to keep moving players up to keep us out of cap hell.

If we only get a 4th or even a third for Hagelin, it would be a monumental mismanagement of assets

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What a trash move, frankly.

I don't expect high value for Thompson but i expect more than upgrading 10 draft slots.
Maybe this was just Blake making room for the guys coming back off IR. A roster move had to be made, and it's better than waiving a player.

I know Lewis is coming back. Isn't Brodzinski due back off IR soon?

Reactions: BigKing

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Blake is going to move more guys if he can. It could be anyone. Hagelin will be gone for sure regardless. They will move him even if it only brings back a 3rd because he is a UFA.

Only a 3rd? He's been traded for underachieving players 3 times in his career. The Rangers even gave the Ducks a 6th to take him. A 3rd would be great.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Only a 3rd? He's been traded for underachieving players 3 times in his career. The Rangers even gave the Ducks a 6th to take him. A 3rd would be great.

I think a 3rd is the best they will get. My meaning is more that a 3rd is not going to blow anyone away but I would take it for Hagelin because he is going to be moved regardless of the return.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
What do you value Hagelin at? When you see guys like Martinez at best returning a 2nd, how can a role player like Hagelin be worth more than a 3rd?

A 3rd would probably be the highest, but when you consider the trade as Tanner Pearson for a third, you can see why I'd want more. It probably will end up an utter failure.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Blake got some value out of Thompson, while at the same time putting the player in a good situation, like he did last season with squid and Kuemper. I do appreciate that Blake does that and I think we will see benefits from it, players and agents will recognize that he does have the players in mind when making transactions.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Getting rid of dead weight is a bonus. Opening up more room and ice time opportunity, and one less player for Willie Desjardins to give a ridiculous amount of ice time to is a plus.

I want to see the likes of Amadio be given more ice time and put in more situations. That is what grows confidence in a player. The removal of the Thompson like players is ancillary. Next up, move Hagelin, open up a permanent spot for Luff, or even take a look at Grundstrom.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If we only get a 4th or even a third for Hagelin, it would be a monumental mismanagement of assets

It's good to remember what Pearson was doing when the trade was made, and how people wanted Blake to do something to show he had a pulse up in the GM box.

The worst part of this is the Kings have one less asset now than they started the day with.

-Thompson
-5th

+4th

Bad asset management.

Pretty clear Thompson wasn't an asset. Wasn't much of one last year either.

We're bickering about getting at least a 7th rd pick. We're all crazy.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
A 3rd would probably be the highest, but when you consider the trade as Tanner Pearson for a third, you can see why I'd want more. It probably will end up an utter failure.
With the way Pearson was/is playing and with his contract value, you probably aren't getting more than a 3rd ish pick.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The worst part of this is the Kings have one less asset now than they started the day with.

-Thompson
-5th

+4th

Bad asset management.

It tells me they weren't getting a 7th for him, so there was no way they were going to make this work without losing an additional asset.

The Kings did Thompson a solid here to, this will probably be his last chance at a ring and Blake atleast gave him that chance with the Habs.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
People forget what the cost to move up in the draft is. Last season, the Sharks traded the 123rd(4th round) and 139th overall(5th round) pick to move up to 102nd overall(4th round). If you look at the trade in that sense, the Kings basically traded Thompson for a 4th round draft pick, which I know that nobody would complain about just a week ago.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
But this implies that Thompson is an asset.

Pretty well known that I'm not a Blake lover, but Thompson is healthy scratch depth for a playoff team.

Maybe he’s not. I just can’t imagine some team wouldn’t give a 6th or 7th for him straight up, and I’d rather have an extra draft pick than move up ~10 spots from 130ish to 120ish. We’ll never know if he could get a pick straight up, unfortunately. Kings could’ve afforded to retain on his remaining salary this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki