Kinda playing for your Chicago Blackhawks: #86, Teuvo "Turbo" Teravainen!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
As A Hawks fan I value the views of the Finns who have seen him play multiple complete games, not just highlights and a few snippets here and there. The general consensus is that he is not physically ready for the NHL and therefore will not have a big impact immediately. I find this assessment to be logical standing on it's own, given the known circumstances, and all the more certain when bolstered by the opinions of those with first hand observations.

The only caveat I would offer is that, as some Hawks fans have emphasized, TT will not need to be a major contributor right away and with sheltered minutes may be able to have some success despite not being physically ready.

We should get to see for ourselves fairly soon and regardless of the outcome we should see an end to this speculative bickering which will be a big win for us all.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
“The SM-Liiga has historically been around half the quality of the NHL or all players going from the Liiga to the NHL retained half their scoring,” Pronman said. “Teenagers tend to do slightly better though due to them traditionally being high-end talents such as Teravainen.

So we can expect that on average Teravainen would score at a 40ish point pace over an 82 game season. That is before you factor in the dream situation he is being put in with Kane and Saad/Sharp/Bickell/whoever.

Everyone talks non stop about not expecting anything from him, and yet I've not heard one person talk about the potential upside. He could be great! He could have a Hertl-like impact. That's JUST as likely as him being awful and unusable.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
well, pretty close to next to nothing - fair?? :laugh:

Well, having been to about 15 NHL games (New York, Boston, Chicago, Philly, New Jersey) and listened to the things people around me say and shout to the players and officials, I would feel safe to say that the average NHL fan knows very little about hocey in general. "Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. Why don't they just f***ing shoot the puck!"

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
“The SM-Liiga has historically been around half the quality of the NHL or all players going from the Liiga to the NHL retained half their scoring,†Pronman said. “Teenagers tend to do slightly better though due to them traditionally being high-end talents such as Teravainen.

So we can expect that on average Teravainen would score at a 40ish point pace over an 82 game season.

I suggest you look at the stats of following players: Mikael Granlund, Sami Vatanen, Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen, Jarkko Immonen, Petri Kontiola, the list goes on and on. You might get some idea of how trustworthy that "a point a game in FEL equals 0,5PPG in the NHL" theory is.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I suggest you look at the stats of following players: Mikael Granlund, Sami Vatanen, Ville Leino, Janne Pesonen, Jarkko Immonen, Petri Kontiola, the list goes on and on. You might get some idea of how trustworthy that "a point a game in FEL equals 0,5PPG in the NHL" theory is.

-Granlund is scoring .6 PPG this season.
-Leino was a stud in Philly in 2010 before he's fallen off a cliff. Undrafted so not a good comp anyways.
-Vatanen was drafted in the 3rd round. Hardly a good comp, but even so, he is putting up a 30ish point pace AS A DEFENSEMEN.
-Pesonen was never an NHL player and was draften in the 9th round
-Immonen- was producing well in the AHL and could have been good, but chose to go back and is a good player in the KHL. Also 9th rounder.

Granlund is the best comparison and he is having a great year. Took him a year, but he's right on track. TV is entering a way better situation than Granlund was. Man, you Fins really like to haze on your own.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I think we are not used to have many good players. We have foot on the ground and this is just typical finnish attitude. You cant disappoint if you don't expect much.. I have used to this attitude. :)

Everyone in Finland of course wants him to success.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
So they havn't decided yet is he coming or not? I just read this one article where Quenneville said that they are gonna talk about it if they are gonna bring him over or not.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm sure they have an exact game plan already, whether that be him playing fulltime in the NHL, splitting time up here and in Rockford for cap/development reasons, or something else entirely. Team usually plays things very close to the chest, so we probably won't know anything definitive until it actually gets announced.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
The only thing we need is for him to be better then handzus to make our team better.

So if you guys dont think that hes physically mature enough to get 2 points in 25 games and constantly bring down kanes line then ok.

Im looking at it from a team standpoint. Hes not going to be all world. we know that hes 19. He can improve our team though, does anyone doubt that?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
TV just doesn't make sense. TT are his initials. Tivo is funny because that's what his name sounds like. TV, pronounced tee-vee, is out of place. It'd be like if people called Kane "PK" and all of sudden someone was like "let's call him PR instead".

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Lets call Teuvo "PR" just to confuse the **** out of everyone on HF Boards and then never explain why we call him that

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, if we're going for nicknames, both Tivo and TT makes more sense than TV, at least from my perspective. Or Tear could work, too, as in he's tearing up the league, though that'd obviously be confused for what comes out of your eyes when you're crying.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
TV just doesn't make sense. TT are his initials. Tivo is funny because that's what his name sounds like. TV, pronounced tee-vee, is out of place. It'd be like if people called Kane "PK" and all of sudden someone was like "let's call him PR instead".

Tivo is definitely the best nickname option for him right now.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This is the NHL, with most teams filled with uncreative Canadians. TT's nickname will be Teravain-ey or Teravain-er

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
His nickname will be TiVo but it will be shortened to TV within a week. Just watch.

Kentti

Oct 5, 2012
Teuvo's family name Teräväinen could be translated as Sharpy. Terävä = sharp, -nen doesn't mean anyhing, it's something a lot of Finnish surnames have.

So you'll have two sharps in your team.

I bet TT's number will be 86 as it was with Jokerit.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Analysis of Leino, Vatanen, Pesonen, Immonen, Granlund and Kontiola

Your original post said that "we can expect that on average Teravainen would score at a 40ish point pace over an 82 game season". All of the players listed above were more dominant in the FEL than Teräväinen, and still none of them was even remotely close to scoring 40 NHL points in their first season in America. I think the last Finn to come to America and score over 30 points in a season right away was Jussi Jokinen eight years ago. Barkov would have done it this season, had he stayed healthy.

I think many people don't understand how weak the FEL is right now. Michael Keränen won the league MVP voting by a landslide, but nobody thinks he should be anywhere near the NHL next season, and I'd be surprised even to see him at the WC this spring. The KHL has sucked all the talent out of Finland, which means that nowadays the FEL is basically a load of rubbish. Mikael Granlund said quite openly last summer that this can be very deceiving for a young player.

-nen doesn't mean anyhing

That's not true. It is a diminutive suffix indicating smallness.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I find it a bit demeaning when you say I know "next to nothing" about North American hockey, as I do watch about 100 NHL games a year.

Nothing was intended to be demeaning. Outside of scouts who do it for a living - I don't think there's enough time in the day or enough time in a season for anyone to know two different leagues inside/out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad