Kevyn Adams GM thread

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In the Metro, the only real team to take a step back is probably Carolina.
I wouldn't underestimate these guys, they have RBA and a system where even the least stellar and creative players do the same thing. Also, I don't think they're done yet.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The latest athletic hockey podcast answered a question about the Sabres trading for a top 6 forward…and boy they didn’t hold back on Kevyn Adams and his Sabres.

Need more of this national scrutiny and it needs to be louder until he is out.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
The latest athletic hockey podcast answered a question about the Sabres trading for a top 6 forward…and boy they didn’t hold back on Kevyn Adams and his Sabres.

Need more of this national scrutiny and it needs to be louder until he is out.
Do you have a timestamp?

Reactions: RWatson29

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you have a timestamp?
Starts at 56:00.

And it's not nearly what Ace says it is. Speculated that Buffalo got worse. Said spending $69M towards the cap right now "ain't gonna get it done, especially in the Atlantic".

Frankly, I think they DID hold back on calling Adams on the carpet. Kinda sounded like maybe they wanted to, but didn't. Said we needed another defenseman and a replacement for Skinner, but don't have the "raw materials"....whatever that means.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

And it's not nearly what Ace says it is. Speculated that Buffalo got worse. Said spending $69M towards the cap right now "ain't gonna get it done, especially in the Atlantic".

Frankly, I think they DID hold back on calling Adams on the carpet. Kinda sounded like maybe they wanted to, but didn't. Said we needed another defenseman and a replacement for Skinner, but don't have the "raw materials"....whatever that means.

Yeah it was pretty tame

Essentially said there really aren’t any excuses and they are in the group of teams that want to take the next step but all the teams in front of them improved and they didn’t.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Seriously, what is the long-term plan here? The arena lease is up 2027. I can see us missing the playoffs this year again very easily.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Seriously, what is the long-term plan here? The arena lease is up 2027. I can see us missing the playoffs this year again very easily.

Honestly, I think the plan is to spend as little as they can out of pocket until the Bills stadium is done. Once that is done, the Bills go back to being a cash cow for them and then they can negotiate a new arena lease.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
is there a clause in the lease that says if they don't sell enough tickets, they can relocate to phoenix or houston?

The million-dollar question is what's in the lease. If you think Paul Hamilton/Mike Harrington will dig that up, forget it. As we get closer, some Canadian national or other hockey media will get on this. And you can expect Pegula camp to leak stuff if they don't get what they need in the renovation. Who knows? Maybe, there is zero issues, and $400 Million or whatever gets approved, and he signs a long-term lease, and it's all a footnote.

I will say one thing. There is zero way Pegula agreed to a deal that keeps the Sabres in Buffalo in perpetuity under any circumstances. No way. Such an agreement would leave any owner at the mercy of their arena landlord. You'd have to sign anything because everybody would know you could never move the team. (That's beyond the question of whether such a permanent agreement would be even valid.)

The Sabres need to win, and it all likely solves itself. But the franchise and fan base is being chipped away by really bad management. That said, Buffalo's history with hockey is impressive and to really destroy the franchise, they have more work to do. People still love the team (me included) even in spite of all of it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah it was pretty tame

Essentially said there really aren’t any excuses and they are in the group of teams that want to take the next step but all the teams in front of them improved and they didn’t.
Improved ? Really?
I dont see other teams improved all that much. Its just replacing what was lost

That "new car smell" was made in amherst

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
People think the Pegula who owns the Bills and is in the process of building a new stadium for the team is going to turn around after that process is completed and move the Sabres out of Buffalo or sell them off to someone who is going to move them? Come on.
Especially after he spent all that money revitalizing the area around the arena

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
People think the Pegula who owns the Bills and is in the process of building a new stadium for the team is going to turn around after that process is completed and move the Sabres out of Buffalo or sell them off to someone who is going to move them? Come on.
I don’t think he’d ever move the team, but there have been rumors that he’s explored selling the unprofitable team and it wouldn’t shock me if he did sell within the next 5 years. With some kind of clause saying it couldn’t be moved (I don’t think the NHL would even allow it to move anyway.)

I could also see him keeping it his whole life. No one knows, so no one can speak to this topic with any kind of authority.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Honestly, I think the plan is to spend as little as they can out of pocket until the Bills stadium is done. Once that is done, the Bills go back to being a cash cow for them and then they can negotiate a new arena lease.
I would think that demanding hundreds of millions of dollars from the municipality/taxpayers for the worst team in hockey history that just missed the playoffs for 16 straight seasons after soaking them for the throwball palace probably isn't going to go down well.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Agreed. There is absolutely no way that happens. I could see him selling (and I even doubt that) but definitely not moving them.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
2 to 3 years ago from 2022 puts this at 2019 or 2020. Adams became GM in 2020.

So this tweet gets us no closer to knowing if it was Botts or Adams who almost traded Tage for a 5th.
Botts winning %

Adams

Neither was or has been good enough as GM. But Adams has put together better teams. Two of them were just development years. He wasn’t even trying to be a playoff team. Something Botts was trying to do every season of his tenure.
You left out the .330 year by Adams.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's odd that the single most catastrophic blunder Adams made last offseason is the one that gets the least attention: Handing Granato an extension when there was absolutely no need to do so. This essentially made firing him mid season when everything went to shit to save the season an impossibility.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It's odd that the single most catastrophic blunder Adams made last offseason is the one that gets the least attention: Handing Granato an extension when there was absolutely no need to do so. This essentially made firing him mid season when everything went to shit to save the season an impossibility.
Granato got his extension in October 2022 when he had two full years remaining on his contract, which makes the extension even more baffling,

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Raw materials? f***, how many draft picks do they have to make? *sigh*

Feeling less hopeful about this than last year and last summer was pretty dark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad