Kevyn Adams GM thread

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
2 to 3 years ago from 2022 puts this at 2019 or 2020. Adams became GM in 2020.

So this tweet gets us no closer to knowing if it was Botts or Adams who almost traded Tage for a 5th.

You left out the .330 year by Adams.
You mean the short season played with different divisions because of the global pandemic going on?

I can’t fathom the mindset that would hold the 2020-2021 season against him or anyone

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People can tell me Adams is managing like he knows he’s safe all they want. The tide has turned completely in the public discourse and in the media. You fail a fifth time and try to bring him back a sixth year…see what happens. You’re always safe until you aren’t. And if he misses again…it won’t just be journalists smelling blood in the water as fans revolt. It will be a barrage of external hit pieces and burials of the Pegula ownership.

The problem at this point isn’t just the team’s failure under him. It’s the correct impression that he hasn’t done nearly enough to build a team. I dare you to bring him back again if this goes the way it will be projected to go again. If he would make a big trade he could save himself even if it doesn’t work. Because the doesn’t try part won’t be true. And effort can save him. Lack of effort will not.

Imagine missing again and now you have a zillion prospects ready to enter the lineup. Not enough room of course. And a bunch of rookies is a great way to get year 15 on the books. Plus the added fun of having guys like Rosen in his draft plus 5 season! Savoie, Kulich and Ostlund in draft plus 4! And now you have no choice but to move them because you don’t have room, havent won AND their value just kept decreasing when other teams are talking about players drafted in 2021 and 2022 who still haven’t done shit in the league.

If he’s done…he’s done.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
My care level has decreased to the point that I didn't watch like 70% of the games last season. This current roster doesn't have what it will need to make the playoffs. If they miss again, don't you dare give him money for the arena. Move them to bumbleville, Alabama and make play in a 3,000 person rink.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This thread is out of control.

We have posters pushing a narrative about a bad trade from four years ago that didn't actually happen.....

We have posters who are historically way more wrong than right prognosticating a fictional future two years out like they think they are fricken Nostradamus.

And the same five people are posting the same tired negative spiel in every thread every day.

Hockey is a game. It is for entertainment. Sit back and enjoy the talent of the league, and if you are getting this upset about games that haven't even been played yet, maybe it is time to take a break and focus energies on something more productive, because the malcontent negativity is ridiculously unhealthy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This thread is out of control.

We have posters pushing a narrative about a bad trade from four years ago that didn't actually happen.....

We have posters who are historically way more wrong than right prognosticating a fictional future two years out like they think they are fricken Nostradamus.

And the same five people are posting the same tired negative spiel in every thread every day.

Hockey is a game. It is for entertainment. Sit back and enjoy the talent of the league, and if you are getting this upset about games that haven't even been played yet, maybe it is time to take a break and focus energies on something more productive, because the malcontent negativity is ridiculously unhealthy.
It’s year five.

Have a standard.

Reactions: pf8363

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It’s year five.

Have a standard.
And what, choose a random kid trying their best on the team to attack after every single game, usually with ginned up false facts about specific plays to belittle them in every game-day-thread like you do?

Your takes on specific plays are always ill informed. You blame the wrong player on plays more often than not, sometimes I think you just check to see if whomever you are targeting that season, (you always have a player you are trashing daily since you started posting here), are on the ice, and like clockwork you blame them, when more often than not they were not the issue. And whomever you are listening to for your player evaluations, you really should find a better source. The takes Asplund is the answer, Mittelstadt isn't an NHL player, UPL is not athletic enough to be an NHL goalie... etc.... I mean, where do you hear this stuff that you parrot here?

And try to be realistic. Pegula and Adams were never going to bring in a big ticket player after buying out Skinner. The Skiner buyout was to save cash, and Adams isn't going to spend the cap or add a big contract that will likely put the team over the cap next summer with the upcomming RFA extensions. Adams is not a great GM, but your obsession with trying to convice everyone in this forum 5 times a day with posts attacking him is obsessive, especially when it is pretty clear that Adams was brought in to manage the team the way Pegula wants it managed. If Adams is let go, you are not going to get a competent replacement GM with autonomy in running the team as a replacement. Terry is not going to give up his oversight, regardless of how much better the team would be if he would.

The core is so young, but they will be extremely competitive as they mature. The team just replaced their coaching, which was the biggest issue with last years team, and totally revamoped their bottom 6, another huge problem with the past roster, and you are acting like this team is heading to a bottom 5 finish before they even play a game. Try to see the positives for once, and the hyper focused bashing of one selected individual every single season is super douchey. Let the kids play and learn and give them a break, they are all young and still developing.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
By that logic you can't hold 2020-21 against Kreuger either. Should we hire Kreuger back?
I don’t recall that being Kreuger’s first season…

It sucks that the Sabres were the only team in the league to be impacted by Covid
Way to completely and totally miss the point…

When Adams points percentage the last 3 years is being used to demonstrate he quite clearly isn’t the worst GM we’ve had during the drought and the rebuttal is to point out his first season which was also a Covid season, it’s agenda pushing at best…

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This team couldn’t score last year and it’s down a 25 goal winger and a 50-55 point center. And replaced them with nothing and a player even more washed then Skinner.
The D is really going to drive the offense this year under Ruff. You can also reasonably expect bounce back in goals by our big 3 to help cover what left. But yes, still need a big addition.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
The D is really going to drive the offense this year under Ruff. You can also reasonably expect bounce back in goals by our big 3 to help cover what left. But yes, still need a big addition.
I see a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 wins under Ruff. And less injuries as guys no longer have to play out of character to compensate for the lack of toughness across the lineup. But man seeing Mitts sign that contract with Colorado really stings. Byram better bring it this season.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think patience with development will pay off. Last off-season, posters were killing Adams for “doing nothing” with goaltending. He was actually doing something. It was just being patient with UPL.

We should keep in mind that making the choice to not acquire a player and go with internal player development isn’t doing nothing.

And if some in this crowd had their way, we’d be watching Jack Campbell getting bought out a couple years after trading UPL.

Reactions: Irie and BUCKSHOT

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I think patience with development will pay off. Last off-season, posters were killing Adams for “doing nothing” with goaltending. He was actually doing something. It was just being patient with UPL.

We should keep in mind that making the choice to not acquire a player and go with internal player development isn’t doing nothing.

And if some in this crowd had their way, we’d be watching Jack Campbell getting bought out a couple years after trading UPL.
Draft a goalie every year, it's a rule. You never know when one shows up for you. It also doesn't require a high pick. In 6 years, a 5th rounder from this draft could be a star.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

IDK, the team sure seemed intent on making Levi the starter last season. Gave him every chance until he proved he wasn't ready. UPL didn't get a start until after two weeks into the season. Even then he didn't get regular starts until a month later. Seemed like a lucky accident that UPL was better than they thought.

Also, the problem with people wanting a good starter to bridge the gap until a prospect proved themselves, never would have reared it's ugly head if KA didn't let Ullmark walk over a 1 mil difference in AAV, during years when the cap hit wouldn't have mattered.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Is it that hard to hedge your bets? It will provide better depth and options for the lineup, and it will also show Adams that he really cares about improving the lineup. I'm sure it's not that hard.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He wasted an e tire season though. Being patient was the wrong decision because his team couldn’t string three wins together until like March.

A GM has to do more than draft well and patiently wait for them to develop. That’s a very bad GM.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I don’t recall that being Kreuger’s first season…

Way to completely and totally miss the point…

When Adams points percentage the last 3 years is being used to demonstrate he quite clearly isn’t the worst GM we’ve had during the drought and the rebuttal is to point out his first season which was also a Covid season, it’s agenda pushing at best…
Ignoring Adams’ first season while including Botterill’s first season is quite clearly pushing an agenda. Getting offended when other posters point that out and accusing them of having an agenda is projection at its finest.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Unfortunately, Kevyn has not yet shown or proven that he is a GM who can lead a team to the playoffs.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He wasted an e tire season though. Being patient was the wrong decision because his team couldn’t string three wins together until like March.

A GM has to do more than draft well and patiently wait for them to develop. That’s a very bad GM.
He’s not bad, he’s average, operating under a control freak of an owner. It’s just the reality of things. We know who the real problem is, but we’re powerless to change it.

Unfortunately, Kevyn has not yet shown or proven that he is a GM who can lead a team to the playoffs.
He’s got one more season to prove it. If they miss, he’s gone. And who knows what his replacement will look like. Not optimistic the successor will be any better.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well did Adams even replace whats lost?
He replaced what was lost, but for what was the actual problem with said bottom 6 and top 6, he did nothing to CHANGE those "units". It's going to be the exact same team without Skinner's goals.

The problem with the bottom 6 WASN'T their physical game, it was their production with the puck when they had it. As much as I didn't like Okposo, he was one of the more adept at keeping the puck on the team overall. The problem was doing something with it. I think Adams improved the speed of the bottom 6, but I think there was a decrease in skill overall. But even if they came out even with the bottom 6 I felt the bottom 6 will be not be much different.

The problem with the top 6 was there wasn't enough quality veteran leadership, not enough of a jam in their game and overall change in how they attack the net in terms of personnel. Of course, there could be changes in the attack strategy as well as at times showing some jam, with the change in coaching, but for a long term, consistent game, I have yet to see guys as a whole change their stripes in how frequent and willing they are to change their ways, especially when they have played as many games as the top 6 guys have. The fact he hasn't added an element to the top 6 that they need, I don't have much hope the top 6 will be one that plays a consistent effective enough game to get us in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad