Value of: Kevin Fiala

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
It's not wildly insulting or anything. But Garland was the main piece of a deal that got a top 10 pick back, and Fiala is much better than Garland is.

We're just really, really hoping to catch some sort of lightning here.
Also, Arizona taking 12M in cap dumps & retaining 1M for 6 years with OEL. I don't envision Minnesota taking cap dumps back.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Isn’t the 2022 draft considered to be one of the weaker ones? Not sure I trust the scouting as much either, which exposes a lot more variability for even Top 10 picks.

I’d want a Top 5 pick OR a guy like Berniers/Lundell/etc. A young recent top pick on an ELC that can come in and make an immediate impact. Fiala’s a PPG winger in his prime & he should demand a premium. The Wild are not forced to trade him so they don’t need to sell him at a discount.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's not wildly insulting or anything. But Garland was the main piece of a deal that got a top 10 pick back, and Fiala is much better than Garland is.

We're just really, really hoping to catch some sort of lightning here.
A suggestion was the 7/8th OV + Bernard-Docker who projects to be a sturdy top 4 righty. Perhaps that greases the wheels a bit more?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild should just keep him. The guy has constantly come through when they've needed him to. I highly doubt they could acquire a better forward trading him. Trading away what has been a position of weakness for the Wild for so long (a ppg forward) for anything less than an upgrade would be a shame.

Yeah, spot on

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A suggestion was the 7/8th OV + Bernard-Docker who projects to be a sturdy top 4 righty. Perhaps that greases the wheels a bit more?

Maybe, but I'm not sure RD is the grease that's necessary. If we're trading Fiala, it's because Dumba isn't going anywhere, and we already have Spurgeon locked in for the next 6 years and Addison in waiting.

We're trading Fiala (in theory) and Zuccarello is 34/35. I'd rather do that kind of succession planning than the defense. Or, of course, the center position.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I’m pretty sure Kings fans wouldn’t like this, but would our ‘22 1st + Kaliyev + Spence do it? I’d imagine Turcotte, Kupari, Vilardi, or Durzi could be in the discussion too depending on the pieces and what Fiala is looking for in an extension.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Maybe, but I'm not sure RD is the grease that's necessary. If we're trading Fiala, it's because Dumba isn't going anywhere, and we already have Spurgeon locked in for the next 6 years and Addison in waiting.

We're trading Fiala (in theory) and Zuccarello is 34/35. I'd rather do that kind of succession planning than the defense. Or, of course, the center position.
A top 8 pick will go a long way!

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m pretty sure Kings fans wouldn’t like this, but would our ‘22 1st + Kaliyev + Spence do it? I’d imagine Turcotte, Kupari, Vilardi, or Durzi could be in the discussion too depending on the pieces and what Fiala is looking for in an extension.

I mean that's just a mid first and some dime a dozen middle of the lineup prospects.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what would we trade Dumba for if it comes to that? I'm coming around to the idea of just trying to outscore our problems during the lean years if (as I feel) Addison doesn't fare well in a top four role. With Fiala getting locked up a doomsday scenario where Kaprizov leaves for whatever reason after this contract would land softer.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Also, Arizona taking 12M in cap dumps & retaining 1M for 6 years with OEL. I don't envision Minnesota taking cap dumps back.
It was basically the 9th pick for Garland and then OEL for the cap dumps. You're trying to pretend Arizona wasn't trying to get out of OELs deal. They clearly were as Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel all had negative value and they had no reason to trade for those players.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Isn't Kaliyev kinda highly regarded?

It was Kupari when I saw it. Kaliyev is "highly touted" but my personal opinion of the player is that he won't ever be he's touted as. Too many flaws that'll hold him back. Great shot though. Not much of anything else is great though.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
It was basically the 9th pick for Garland and then OEL for the cap dumps. You're trying to pretend Arizona wasn't trying to get out of OELs deal. They clearly were as Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel all had negative value and they had no reason to trade for those players.
Are you trying to pretend Benning wasn't in love with OEL? The guy had a bad contract, but he still had value. A big d man that could play 22+ minutes a night is something a lot of GMs obsess over. Other teams were interested in OEL. Retaining money for 6 years is also huge.

The deal is wildly different. Garland wasn't getting a top 10 pick by himself.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are you trying to pretend Benning wasn't in love with OEL? The guy had a bad contract, but he still had value. A big d man that could play 22+ minutes a night is something a lot of GMs obsess over. Other teams were interested in OEL. Retaining money for 6 years is also huge.

The deal is wildly different. Garland wasn't getting a top 10 pick by himself.

Everyone pretends OEL had no value in that deal. Arizona fans love to do it too. The deal wasn't Garland for 9OA and OEL for scraps, it was Garland+OEL for 9OA+2nd+scraps to make Vancouver's cap work.

Regardless, it's not a good comp for Fiala, who is significantly better than Garland, and also won't be traded with another high profile player attached.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
lol, it's not like the offer was peanuts man, come on.
No, not peanuts. It depends a lot on what OTT's pick is, but their 1st plus a prospect/player like Pinto or Boucher might do it. There is definitely value to taking on cap.

I can tell you this. If you put merely some decent talent around Fiala then you've got one hell of a player. He played with absolute crap for about 170 games that he played with MN. We are talking guys that have been waived through the league like Victor Rask, Pitlick, Bjugstad, Marcus Johansson, Nick Bonino, among many others.
Once he got with Boldy about 35-40 games ago his production reached a different level because he was playing with some talent. Boldy is nice, but still a baby. Guys like Norris, Batherson, Stutzle, nvm Tkachuk( are more than good enough to make Fiala go. Ennis, not so much.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Isn’t the 2022 draft considered to be one of the weaker ones? Not sure I trust the scouting as much either, which exposes a lot more variability for even Top 10 picks.

I’d want a Top 5 pick OR a guy like Berniers/Lundell/etc. A young recent top pick on an ELC that can come in and make an immediate impact. Fiala’s a PPG winger in his prime & he should demand a premium. The Wild are not forced to trade him so they don’t need to sell him at a discount.
Well, they are kind of forced to trade him, and if they don't take back cap it will be at a discount. I take your point, though. He is still worth q

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not for me, because it seems to be more quantity than quality. I have mentioned earlier than the LAK prospect pool is kind of hard to assess right now. If LAK's fans think that that offer is too much then I don't see a fit, at all. a pick in the teens is nice, but not the same as a pick in the 5-8 range, especially in this draft.

Reactions: BringTheReign

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nobody is giving up a top 10 pick for him when they can just offer sheet him instead. LA could sign him 8 million for 5 years and it's a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd.

He'll be traded before anyone can offer sheet him, if he's traded.

Beyond that, there have been only four offer sheets signed in the last decade. One was retaliatory, and the other three were matched. They're not common, and the team not matching is even less common (as in, it's only happened twice in 25 years).

Frankly, if part of the reason people say Fiala can't fetch a big return is because he doesn't have a contract, an offer sheet would be a pretty easy way for Minnesota to get him signed, and then trade him, with a contract, for more than the 1st, 2nd and 3rd LA wanted to give up for him.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad