Value of: Kevin Fiala

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He's better than Reinhart when Reinhart was traded (1st + decent prospect)

He's better than Garland when Garland was traded (other stuff was in the deal, but a top 10 pick was the get)

He's better (and younger) than Pacioretty when Pacioretty was traded (really good prospect + 2nd)

He's better than Zucker when Zucker was traded (1st + good prospect)

Fiala should get a prospect of Suzuki's quality (1st line/1st pair upside) + a 1st in the 15-25 range, or a 1st in the 5-15 range + prospect of Addison's quality (2nd line/2nd pair upside).

If Ottawa drops out of top 5, we seem to be for sure offering:

7th overall + Jarventie/Sokolov for him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zero chance of Lou moving Wahlstrom for Fiala, Wahlstrom will probably be every bit as good as Fiala someday.
"Probably"? How about "maybe at best"? He could also be the next Luke Kunin, or Casey Mittlestadt, or Puljujarvi. Fact is, he is a young player who has shown next to nothing so far.
If Wahlstrom is considered an untouchable in a possible trade for Fiala then maybe you need to take the homer goggles off for a bit.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well I don’t think he deserves 8M+. So if that’s what he wants, he’s going to have to get it elsewhere.

But that’s also severely going to shrink the trade market for him, because I don’t see a lot of teams wanting him at > 8M on a long term deal. I think he’s more of a 7M—7.25M guy.
For a non wild fan, you seem to "get' the situation.

Do agree that he gets under 8M, but more like 7.5- 7.75M per.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s a fair deal. Wahlstrom and the 13OA.
Fair, but not sexy. Also, can NYI take on Fiala's cap hit without sending any back? I thought they were up against it.
I'd rather talk to OTT or NJD. I think both have the cap space, the need, and the pieces(picks/prospects/players) to trade for Fiala. Maybe LAK, too, though I am not sure what to make of their prospect pool, which seems to be floundering a bit.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Fair, but not sexy. Also, can NYI take on Fiala's cap hit without sending any back? I thought they were up against it.
I'd rather talk to OTT or NJD. I think both have the cap space, the need, and the pieces(picks/prospects/players) to trade for Fiala. Maybe LAK, too, though I am not sure what to make of their prospect pool, which seems to be floundering a bit.
We'd be moving salary out in other deals, I'd imagine Beauvillier, Bailey, and maybe others will be made available.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
what would be the ask from the kings
LAK are confusing because some of their highly rated prospect pool seems to be underperforming, for the most part. Guys like Turcotte, Kupari, and even Byfield... I know they are both young, but even the most homerish Kings fans have to be disappointed so far. Due to the decent season you guys are having, your pick won't be the best, so...
Bottom line is I don't know what to ask for from LAK. Faber + 1st? I am just boxscore scouting, but Turcotte seems to be spinning his wheels right now. Am I crazy to value Faber more than him? Wild can use RHD, and C's. We also have a lot of nice LHD prospects, so they can be made available for the right deal.
I would do a straight trade for Clarke, but I'm assuming that he is off the table?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If the Canes don't progress in the playoffs, Necas 1-for-1?

Carolina may need to take a swing at increasing the skill level of the team now. Minnesota gets a young player with upside that it can bridge at a cheap price to get through the big buyout years.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Russo just said on his Athletic live stream that unless things have dramatically changed this season, everything he was hearing points them having already made the decision to trade Fiala this offseason

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

Carolina may need to take a swing at increasing the skill level of the team now. Minnesota gets a young player with upside that it can bridge at a cheap price to get through the big buyout years.
Nope.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Russo just said on his Athletic live stream that unless things have dramatically changed this season, everything he was hearing points them having already made the decision to trade Fiala this offseason

You'd think things would have dramatically changed this season but I guess Guerin is incapable of adapting on the go and correcting his mistakes.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not the most ideal fit based off of style of player we need but I can see NJ taking a good hard look at Fiala . Fellow Swiss player to buddy with Nico and Seigenthaler. Gives Nico or Jack a very good winger. Enables Bratt to be on a different line to have two very solid scoring lines. However I think the Devils need a player more like a Wilson or Tkachuk style instead

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
You'd think things would have dramatically changed this season but I guess Guerin is incapable of adapting on the go and correcting his mistakes.
Idk. We've always seen Fiala progress throughout the season like this. Start slow and go on a tear. If the last two season hadn't been shortened, i think he would've found his way to close to a ppg. I don't think this season has been different enough to change their minds. If they valued him at 3x6 (Russo speculation), i don't think they're suddenly going to give him 7.5
That's too much for a RFA that needs a big contract and can walk in a year.
That's why we'd probably trade him with an extension :)

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Not sure it'd be a 1 for 1 situation with Fiala's ascent and Necas' descent this season. Age only makes up for so much.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Idk. We've always seen Fiala progress throughout the season like this. Start slow and go on a tear. If the last two season hadn't been shortened, i think he would've found his way to close to a ppg. I don't think this season has bee

I just don't see how you look at this team and think a bunch of mediocre spare parts like Greenway, Goligoski and even Dumba are more important than Fiala. If he was a locker room cancer he should have been moved already, so he's clearly not that. It's just poor management.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I just don't see how you look at this team and think a bunch of mediocre spare parts like Greenway, Goligoski and even Dumba are more important than Fiala. If he was a locker room cancer he should have been moved already, so he's clearly not that. It's just poor management.
I agree with you. Also didn't mean to post that last one lol

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
For a non wild fan, you seem to "get' the situation.

Do agree that he gets under 8M, but more like 7.5- 7.75M per.

Aside from the main factor being the term of the deal, there are 3 variables from Fiala's side -- 2 personal and 1 performance:

- How much does he want to be in MIN long term?
- Is he willing to take a bit less on a long term deal to help the team build as best as possible around him?
- How productive will he be in the playoffs this season? Will he put up 2 points in 7 games like last year, or bigger numbers whether they 1 round or especially deeper in the playoffs?

As it stands now, he is definitely worth 7 or 7.25; most likely worth 7.5, and possibly worth even as much as 7.75. Anything in this range is fair, but if it's going to be towards the upper end of that scale, he's got to produce in the playoffs at a higher pace than last season. I think that is really key. If Fiala has a massive playoffs and can step up to another level, he'll justify being at the higher end of that range.

If he wants max money, he may just want to bet on himself and take a 1 year deal to get him to UFA, or see what teams want to trade for him and what contract extension they'll offer in the summer.

If I were Guerin, I'd offer him 8 years around 7.25 (maybe he can get him closer to 7, or maybe as much as 7.5). But I think Guerin is going to be VERY disciplined with what he'll offer because he's in a win-win situation with Fiala in terms of whether he keeps him at a number he's comfortable with, or trades him for a great return. (I'll expand on this in my next post)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad