Value of: Kevin Fiala

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
No one trades for Fiala without having a long term deal in place (IF they decide to trade him), so he’ll return a haul.

I think it’s more likely they keep him and move Dumba out. That F group is special and has great chemistry; you don’t want to break that up.
It’s not that simple. Fiala is going to command 8M + now, he just keeps scoring and raising his price. At this point there is no way MN can afford him

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It’s not that simple. Fiala is going to command 8M + now, he just keeps scoring and raising his price. At this point there is no way MN can afford him

Well I don’t think he deserves 8M+. So if that’s what he wants, he’s going to have to get it elsewhere.

But that’s also severely going to shrink the trade market for him, because I don’t see a lot of teams wanting him at > 8M on a long term deal. I think he’s more of a 7M—7.25M guy.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Well I don’t think he deserves 8M+. So if that’s what he wants, he’s going to have to get it elsewhere.

But that’s also severely going to shrink the trade market for him, because I don’t see a lot of teams wanting him at > 8M on a long term deal. I think he’s more of a 7M—7.25M guy.

nobody is going to give up a prospect that has similarities to him. Why trade for a player making $7M+ when you get similar production from ELC player.

remember you have him and Boesser on the market. You might have a split marke instead of a competing one.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Fiala is not getting $8+ million, not for one year of PPG. His next contract will be in the $7-$7.5 AAV range.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Fiala is not getting $8+ million, not for one year of PPG. His next contract will be in the $7-$7.5 AAV range.
He for sure will. Have you seen him play? 50 players in the NHL make 8+ so it's definitely deserved.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
He for sure will. Have you seen him play? 50 players in the NHL make 8+ so it's definitely deserved.
He has one year of PPG production. That should not be sufficient to merit 8+ per year contract. He might get that if things end up in arbitration. But one can never discount what NHL GMs are capable of.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
His value is probably closer to JT Miller than Garland.

I'd personally prefer Garland over JT. Less than 5M/year for next 4 years, and I'm pretty sure Garland can score more, than he does this season. Way more. He's the same type of player as Zucc just way younger. With Miller it's the same problem as with Fiala, Wild will lose him because of cap restrictions.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
He has one year of PPG production. That should not be sufficient to merit 8+ per year contract. He might get that if things end up in arbitration. But one can never discount what NHL GMs are capable of.
He's been pretty incredible since his arrival in Minnesota.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think that range is probably where he should be yes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's better than Reinhart when Reinhart was traded (1st + decent prospect)

He's better than Garland when Garland was traded (other stuff was in the deal, but a top 10 pick was the get)

He's better (and younger) than Pacioretty when Pacioretty was traded (really good prospect + 2nd)

He's better than Zucker when Zucker was traded (1st + good prospect)

Fiala should get a prospect of Suzuki's quality (1st line/1st pair upside) + a 1st in the 15-25 range, or a 1st in the 5-15 range + prospect of Addison's quality (2nd line/2nd pair upside).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
nobody is going to give up a prospect that has similarities to him. Why trade for a player making $7M+ when you get similar production from ELC player.

remember you have him and Boesser on the market. You might have a split marke instead of a competing one.

Fiala is better than Boeser.

To your other point, who said anyting about getting a player on an ELC who is as good as Fiala? No team would trade a 30G, ~ ppg game youngster for someone who is producing the same who's older and more expensive. So I have no idea where you got this idea from because I sure as hell didn't suggest it.

What I did say is that *IF* (because I think they will re-sign him and trade someone else) they trade Fiala, they will get a lot in return. 2 or 3 really nice pieces (picks/prospects), but there's no question Fiala would be the best player in the deal at the present moment.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He's better than Reinhart when Reinhart was traded (1st + decent prospect)

He's better than Garland when Garland was traded (other stuff was in the deal, but a top 10 pick was the get)

He's better (and younger) than Pacioretty when Pacioretty was traded (really good prospect + 2nd)

He's better than Zucker when Zucker was traded (1st + good prospect)

Fiala should get a prospect of Suzuki's quality (1st line/1st pair upside) + a 1st in the 15-25 range, or a 1st in the 5-15 range + prospect of Addison's quality (2nd line/2nd pair upside).

I agree with everything you said except the Garland comment. The only reason ARI got the 9th overall pick is because they also traded OEL (with some retention) and took back a bunch of bad contracts in return, to a team with a GM who was desperately trying to keep his job.

And the other caveat with any Fiala return and whether it's a big package or not, is whether he agrees to an extension with whatever team is trading for him -- which I think is the most likely scenario because teams would be much more willing to move significant pieces if he's going to be there long term, and MIN would want to maximize their return.

But again, I don't think they trade him. I think they try to keep him and move out other pieces (Dumba?) instead.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
NJ has Hischier and Hughes down the middle long term. Would they have any interest in moving Mercer?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I’m sorry, who is the ELC prospect that has similar production to Fiala?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I think as far as trade value it will likely be similar to as if he was offersheeted given MIN cap situation. Probably a bit more depending on the contract he's asking for. I can see MIN wanting to dump other players first but other teams are going to have to be motivated to do so. Dumba makes sense. What's the current opinion of him. Is he still a viable player. Looks like his production is down and seems to have some issues with injuries in a couple of the last 3-4 years.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think as far as trade value it will likely be similar to as if he was offersheeted given MIN cap situation. Probably a bit more depending on the contract he's asking for. I can see MIN wanting to dump other players first but other teams are going to have to be motivated to do so. Dumba makes sense. What's the current opinion of him. Is he still a viable player. Looks like his production is down and seems to have some issues with injuries in a couple of the last 3-4 years.
Dumba's gotten dinged up here and there, but I don't think there's been anything chronic. Similar to Spurgeon, who's histortically missed 5-10 games every season without a broader pattern of injuries.

He's been playing top-pairing minutes for a while now so I'd assume he qualifies as "viable."

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Dumba's gotten dinged up here and there, but I don't think there's been anything chronic. Similar to Spurgeon, who's histortically missed 5-10 games every season without a broader pattern of injuries.

He's been playing top-pairing minutes for a while now so I'd assume he qualifies as "viable."
What happened in 18-19. Seems like he missed a lot kd games that year and doesn't seem to have been the same since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad