Kesler puts Detroit on a list of teams he'd like to be traded to | UPD: Kesler to ANA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Defense, of course.

But why limit yourself to only upgrading 1 thing at a time? An upgrade is an upgrade. Particularly when we have so many prospects to sell. Which, by the way, I'm totally fine selling them for the right players.

Kesler is the right player for me, but I get why others aren't on board. Luckily for them, the odds Holland swings this deal is pretty slim.

I don't think we need to rock the boat at forward (which is what would happen if we were to upgrade BOTH forward and defense), but I think defense is something that absolutely needs to be addressed.

I don't have a problem with the GM putting multiple feelers out there to see what his options are, but I think his top priority needs to be a defenseman of some sort. I don't care about the market. The team cannot succeed with what we have on defense.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If it comes down to Kesler or a d-man, you obviously go with defense.

However, if Kesler is the only thing available and the price is right, i don't see a problem with bringing him to Detroit. Better forwards who can hold onto the puck longer = less time playing in your own end. Obviously it's not going to turn the Wings into contenders, but like i said earlier, he is young enough to fit into the Wings short term and long term plans.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What has he done lately that seperates him from the middle of the pack?

By that token I guess the Sedins are middle of the pack, too.

Doesn't anybody else find it a super weird coincidence the Sedins, Kesler, and Elder all had their worst seasons in forever at the same time? On a team that traded both their starting goalies. And has a coaching circus.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
What has he done lately that seperates him from the middle of the pack?
Kesler would be the third best forward on the team. Nyquist isn't as good as people clamor about, yet, and Tatar is too bad defensively to even be in consideration.

Yea, Kesler is 29, but so what? The HF universe seems to believe that once a player nears 30 he doesn't have any good hockey to offer and his conditioning and IQ drop off the table. It's baffling. I'd wager he still has five years of effective, Selke like hockey left in him. Five years is a long time.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Kesler has been very present, yes, but games played isn't always an indicator of overall health. He's generally amongst the walking wounded. Cleary had been amongst the team's healthiest players over the past three seasons in terms of games played, but he was assuredly not amongst the team's healthiest players. He's a much more extreme example than Kesler (at this stage, at least), but you get the point.

As for Helm, a very important condition prevails: he's already on the team.

Gillis was asking for a 20-25 year-old, NHL-established center, a top prospect, and a 1st-rounder. Hilarious, really.

So he wanted a younger kessler, and more for kessler now. Doesnt make much sense. I dont think we need to add him. He's a good player and would fit in here but I dont think he's the missing piece or anything like that

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
@ Bench,

as ArGarBarGar mentioned already, nothing wrong with checking the entire market (including forwards). But defense should be our priority. Don't get me wrong, I won't say no to a player like Kesler on board. Still, asking price for a guy like him AND a decent defensive trade would be way too high I guess, at least in regard of keeping our vision with the kids alive.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So he wanted a younger kessler, and more for kessler now. Doesnt make much sense. I dont think we need to add him. He's a good player and would fit in here but I dont think he's the missing piece or anything like that

It should be said that this might be part of why Gillis is gone. The moves he did make didn't work out, and he couldn't pull the trigger on any other moves. If Vancouver really wants to clean house a bit, Kesler's going to be available for a more reasonable price than what was demanded before.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
25 goals is middle of the pack? He had more goals than Lucic in less games....

There were roughly 50 25 goal scorers last season. for someone playing with the sedins that is pretty average. 120 players put up more points.

Kessler brings some grit + skill which the wings sorely need but not at the cost of top future assets.

Last edited:

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
It should be said that this might be part of why Gillis is gone. The moves he did make didn't work out, and he couldn't pull the trigger on any other moves. If Vancouver really wants to clean house a bit, Kesler's going to be available for a more reasonable price than what was demanded before.

For sure, if we make a trade this off season for anyone we would be able to throw a pretty nice package together.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There were roughly 50 25 goal scorers last season. If there are 90 top 6 players thay puts him around the middle. 120 players put up more points.

Kessler brings some grit + skill which the wings sorely need but not at the cost of top future assets.

Why 90 top 6 players?

Each team has a top 6. There's 30 teams. So I count 180 top 6 players.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Kesler didn't cost anything but money, I'd do it. Alfie may not return and Kesler is obviously a great player with several things we covet. That righty shot, that defensive skill, those center abilities.

But he's a trade and I am scared to think of what might go the other way. Wings are amazing at drafting, trading a pick scares me. Holland hasn't shown himself to be a particularly adept trader, sending a prospect/player over to the Canucks scares me. I'm seeing some of the possibilities posted in this thread about what it would cost to trade for him and I think no way.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Much attention is being paid to whether Kesler would be a good fit here, and little to what his acquisition would cost the organization. The cost is likely to be high. The Canucks are looking to reload on the fly, and the new GM is likely aiming to be as discerning as possible in his first trade.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Much attention is being paid to whether Kesler would be a good fit here, and little to what his acquisition would cost the organization. The cost is likely to be high. The Canucks are looking to reload on the fly, and the new GM is likely aiming to be as discerning as possible in his first trade.

Exactly.

If fans are ok with trading Mantha, Tatar, 1st , then by all means, have Kesler.

Anaheim fans have been building offers around their top established forwards prospects(mostly only one), the 10th overall, and some combination of other prospects.

Pittsburgh fans I've seen offer Bennett, Pouliot, 1st, so there's that.

---

In any event, several top young players would have to be traded in order to get Kesler, and I for one am totally against it.

Don't want the cap hit. Don't want the injuries. Don't want the slip as he ages...don't want the person that is Kesler. At all.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I won't say that nobody cared about that so far. Some of us - including me - mentioned the same concerns.
But totally legit to discuss about the potential benefit by trading for him as well.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Mantha, Tatar and a 1st is ludicrous.

The trade section is good at consistently overvaluing the return on players so no sense in pegging interest in Kesler to what's bandied about in the fairy tale forum.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mantha, Tatar and a 1st is ludicrous.

The trade section is good at consistently overvaluing the return on players so no sense in pegging interest in Kesler to what's bandied about in the fairy tale forum.

For Kesler? :laugh:
Should just throw in Nyquist and Mrazek as well.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
it will not cost us mantha

I guarntee not one of the top ten prospects in the world will be traded for kesler, thats the typical "lets create fear and hysteria" talk.

bobby ryan trade 2.0

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
If it comes down to Kesler or a d-man, you obviously go with defense.

However, if Kesler is the only thing available and the price is right, i don't see a problem with bringing him to Detroit. Better forwards who can hold onto the puck longer = less time playing in your own end. Obviously it's not going to turn the Wings into contenders, but like i said earlier, he is young enough to fit into the Wings short term and long term plans.

The only thing available? The trade market is never static. Who knows what could be available 6 months from now? You don't want to start yanking things out of the cupboard and selling them off for a luxury like Kesler only to have a big name on defense hit the trading block and be that much more apprehensive about selling off more yet.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Craig Custance: Connor - The trade route is definitely the most likely route for improving that defense, although I could see a guy like Dan Boyle making sense in Detroit. Ken Holland likes his veterans. Both of the guys you mentioned will be in the mix. Detroit has made a move on Edler in the past and kicked the tires on Ehrhoff at the deadline. Both would be an upgrade but Ehrhoff would be my first choice. You'd have to give up a young forward and pick to get him but that's okay, that's an area of strength in Detroit.

kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-afternoon-news-on-mattias-backman-fan-loyalty-chit-chat-and-alumn

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Not that he isn't a good player, but I don't foresee him being here. Let Anaheim take him away and overpay for his services.

Now is not the time to overpay on Forwards when we have a plethora of great prospects. Only use that as an advantage in getting some quality d-men in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad