Kesler puts Detroit on a list of teams he'd like to be traded to | UPD: Kesler to ANA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If you can send them Weiss the other way, sure. But this team needs defense more than anything.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
kesler type player is also need imo. zeta-dats-kesler would be one of the best lines in hockey. RH shot too. and can play C.

but he's getting up there in age, isn't as good as few years ago and wings have bigger needs.

i agree that it's ducks or pens that get him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Ken Holland will trade for him on August 31st. It's Kesler's birthday and he is turning 30.

From Michigan + 30+ years old = Welcome to Detroit

Already have my Kesler sweater ordered at NHL.com

Now that i am done joking, on to the serious stuff.

I wouldn't mind bringing in Kesler, but it would have to be for the right price. He is still young enough where he fits in for the short term and long term plans for the organization.

iwtb*

I'd like to see him as a Red Wing. Even it would cost someone of kids I like.
But yeah he's under 35 and not a Swede and not even european so I don't think Holland is interested.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
you should see what canucks fans want for him. if kesler wants to go, i think canucks fans will be disappointed in return.

I didn't post this on the main board so I am not trying to start some big flame war. But honestly I have never seen a fan-base with more out of whack values, right down to their Mods being pretty insulting and over the top.

Vancouver fans around here are going to be very disappointed when they blow this thing up. People running around and calling us the next Calgary, that is Vancouver though they were better than Calgary at the start, if they don't move quickly they are going to be stuck with even worse returns on some of these guys.

Either way given what they want for Kesler and Edler versus what they are likely to return is going to be a stunning day for many around here.

I think both players will net a nice return, just not what they are yammering on for on the trade board. I do think Kesler's price tag will be too expensive for what he is, however assuming we have an answer to where Weiss heads, Tatar and 1st is pretty reasonable. We also would finally have a way to keep Z and D together, plus the beastly net-front guy on our PP. Assuming his health decline doesn't continue that would be nice. But to that first point put up we will send Tatar and a first and they will go crazy about that as all they are getting.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
we dont need boyle

boyle is the last guy we need

we need to either address the defence properly or just let the kids run the show

stop gaps are not the solution, they just hide the problem

A stop gap doesn't hide the problem. We need to upgrade to immediately upgrade the blueline to have any real hope of contending. Gutting Q, Lashoff, and Kindl would be a good place to start. Sign Boyle, promote a kid or two, and we make ourselves immediately better while grooming long term answers.

Where I think we would fail is if we sign Boyle, and then decide to keep running Kindl and Lashoff out there every night rather than promote Marchenko/XO/Sproul/Backman.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
A stop gap doesn't hide the problem. We need to upgrade to immediately upgrade the blueline to have any real hope of contending. Gutting Q, Lashoff, and Kindl would be a good place to start. Sign Boyle, promote a kid or two, and we make ourselves immediately better while grooming long term answers.

Where I think we would fail is if we sign Boyle, and then decide to keep running Kindl and Lashoff out there every night rather than promote Marchenko/XO/Sproul/Backman.

my only concern is the "what if" factor of the kids

what if they take longer

what if they dont ever become the player we need

i think we're a solid team missing a strong short term solution on defence but also we do have long term question marks

personally i would rather solve the problem today and for tomorrow and if one day all the kids turn into legit top 4 dmen then at that time you make some trades

i think we need our "shanahan" more then we need our "robitaile"

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Slightly off-topic, but why do people think all of a sudden that the Wings are ready to contend? I mean, in my eyes it's still an ongoing rebuild, and on top of that, some of the younger players need to mature before they're dependable playoff guys.

Contending just seems further off to me than adding a few pieces.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I didn't post this on the main board so I am not trying to start some big flame war. But honestly I have never seen a fan-base with more out of whack values, right down to their Mods being pretty insulting and over the top.

Vancouver fans around here are going to be very disappointed when they blow this thing up. People running around and calling us the next Calgary, that is Vancouver though they were better than Calgary at the start, if they don't move quickly they are going to be stuck with even worse returns on some of these guys.

Either way given what they want for Kesler and Edler versus what they are likely to return is going to be a stunning day for many around here.

I think both players will net a nice return, just not what they are yammering on for on the trade board. I do think Kesler's price tag will be too expensive for what he is, however assuming we have an answer to where Weiss heads, Tatar and 1st is pretty reasonable. We also would finally have a way to keep Z and D together, plus the beastly net-front guy on our PP. Assuming his health decline doesn't continue that would be nice. But to that first point put up we will send Tatar and a first and they will go crazy about that as all they are getting.

leafs fans still take the cake. they are just... something else.

i do remember all the delusion they had with luongo trade. eventually they had to retain salary and got markström and matthias back. go read what they wanted back then it's almost hilarious. they wanted like kuznetsov + 1st from the caps. and that was after it was known about the recapture penalty. and the 1st looked like top 5 pick at the time as caps sucked at the start of the season.

some wanted ryan johansen + for kesler. LOL. ryjo is already better and almost 10 years younger.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I think we're talking about one of the kids we'd rather not trade and a first.

Sheahan/Tatar/Jurco+1st for Kesler.

Pass.

Some wings fans are actually willing to give up Tatar, 2014 1st, and one of our top D prospects for him :shakehead.

Kesler is a good player but this is exactly the type of trade that will burn us in a few years, trading our young forwards and prospects for someone who isn't a need.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Slightly off-topic, but why do people think all of a sudden that the Wings are ready to contend? I mean, in my eyes it's still an ongoing rebuild, and on top of that, some of the younger players need to mature before they're dependable playoff guys.

Contending just seems further off to me than adding a few pieces.

my counter question is, why do people think that wings current pool of kids is so good that they will be contenders? we are going to calgary territory or we already are there. no one projects to be #1 defenseman and only one who might be top 6 center is riley sheahan. now projecting how players turn out is hard and if one goes 5+ years back and looks at teams with best projected under 25 talent, i think it didn't turn out that way completely.

red wings would still need more high-end talent, not all of the kids are going to make it and there's no room for them all. figure who's expandable and give one final run for the core.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Pulkkinen, one of Ouellet, Marchenko, or Backman, and a 1st for Kesler.

Franzen for a top 4 puck moving defencemen.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Here is a fun Theoretical question to make you think.

Lets say This year things go really badly for Detroit. All the kids screw up, we miss the playoffs badly and we decide to "rebuild". On this "crazy" unrealistic assumption.. Lets say we put Datsyuk on the Block for trade. (he is obviously more valuable than Kesler)… BUT, what would we realistically receive for Datsyuk?? I figure no matter what we receive… We will be highly disappointed in the return, just like the Vancouver fans will be with Kesler.

So What would we get for Datsyuk?? (No I don't ever want to trade him.. but play this game with me!)

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
my counter question is, why do people think that wings current pool of kids is so good that they will be contenders? we are going to calgary territory or we already are there. no one projects to be #1 defenseman and only one who might be top 6 center is riley sheahan. now projecting how players turn out is hard and if one goes 5+ years back and looks at teams with best projected under 25 talent, i think it didn't turn out that way completely.

red wings would still need more high-end talent, not all of the kids are going to make it and there's no room for them all. figure who's expandable and give one final run for the core.

Kesler isn't that "high-end talent" nor will he put us over the top. We're not making "one final run for the core" with the defense we currently have. Who knows, the kids could surprise.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I'd rather the Wings trade for Shea Weber or Kevin Bieksa. They really don't need forwards as much as they need backend help.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd rather the Wings trade for Shea Weber or Kevin Bieksa. They really don't need forwards as much as they need backend help.

So would I, but we need those guys to want to be traded and then put the Wings on their short list.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here is a fun Theoretical question to make you think.

Lets say This year things go really badly for Detroit. All the kids screw up, we miss the playoffs badly and we decide to "rebuild". On this "crazy" unrealistic assumption.. Lets say we put Datsyuk on the Block for trade. (he is obviously more valuable than Kesler)… BUT, what would we realistically receive for Datsyuk?? I figure no matter what we receive… We will be highly disappointed in the return, just like the Vancouver fans will be with Kesler.

So What would we get for Datsyuk?? (No I don't ever want to trade him.. but play this game with me!)

I played this game last year and said if he didn't extend last summer that he should be shopped.

With Datsyuk, he needs to hand us the list of destinations, then I will look at those teams based off that list.

Nobody is exempt from trade especially if they were to demand it. At that point I would assume there are several factors. Datsyuk hasn't really been healthy for several years, his offense has maintained better than Kesler's and likely will for the remaining two years of his contract. But it is a larger salary. I would want a young roster player with upside in terms of the top 6 at the very least and a first hopefully mid-round but assuming they draft deeper we need to discuss it.

There wouldn't be a kings ransom, I think we should go after three pieces with some nice damage in terms of what comes back from the other team. But Datsyuk is better and we could get more specific once we knew what teams we had as options. Part of the problem going over Vancouver fans heads in these discussions. What I want and what they are willing to pay would get balanced, make no mistake many around here would be disappointed with the return for Datsyuk, likely a very big majority.

We could go through this with a less talented player in Ericsson if these kids supplant him on this contract. Big E will have some say in his destination, but we haven't gotten to that stage yet and we might not to be clear.

You should listen on everyone though to be sure.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Kesler is Filppula-deluxe, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

He can be your 2nd line anchor or slot into a scoring role. Doesn't necessarily have better instincts than Flip but is far more willing to shoot. the. damn. puck. Think of him as a RW if hoarding centers is the hang up.

As WW1987 pointed out, Kesler is a good fit both short term and long term as he could be our de facto 1st line center four years from now seeing as we have nothing promising in the pipeline.

And he absolutely helps the defense.

Tatar + 1st seems like a fair starting place

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
So would I, but we need those guys to want to be traded and then put the Wings on their short list.

From everything I read, the Wings are one of 4 teams WEber would approve a trade to. Not sure on Bieksa but I'd bet he'd be willing to come to Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
From everything I read, the Wings are one of 4 teams WEber would approve a trade to. Not sure on Bieksa but I'd bet he'd be willing to come to Detroit.

Right, but are Nashville and Vancouver trading those players? Nashville paid handsomely to keep Weber. I think he's there for the foreseeable future. Even if you could trade for him, you'd have to gut your team to get him. He's arguably the best defender in the NHL right now. That's going to command something crazy.

Kesler has been talked about as being on the move for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad