Kesler puts Detroit on a list of teams he'd like to be traded to | UPD: Kesler to ANA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't count on Helm? Then don't count on Kesler either, the guy is injured pretty often and older than Helm.

I'm not a fan of Weiss either, but there's always that possibility that he bounces back this year. I agree that it was pretty shady what he pulled, but it's Holland's job to prevent things like that.

Getting Kesler would require giving up significant assets, and most teams will outbid us unless Holland is willing to give up 2 top young players/prospects and a high draft pick.

How is what Weiss did "shady"?

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Since 2010 Kesler has played 381 / 422 (90%) possible games, including playoffs.

Helm has been game-ready for 274 / 423 (64%)

Helm does a lot of good things. But this fan base is so infatuated with him only because he gets the spotlight shown on him just by virtue of dressing for a game.

Kesler has been very present, yes, but games played isn't always an indicator of overall health. He's generally amongst the walking wounded. Cleary had been amongst the team's healthiest players over the past three seasons in terms of games played, but he was assuredly not amongst the team's healthiest players. He's a much more extreme example than Kesler (at this stage, at least), but you get the point.

As for Helm, a very important condition prevails: he's already on the team.

I don't think they'll be able to move him then, and it's not going to be an issue for us.

Gillis was asking for a 20-25 year-old, NHL-established center, a top prospect, and a 1st-rounder. Hilarious, really.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I love all these 1st being so loosely thrown around. I wish we would have traded our 2013 first for someone like Heatley becasue it sucks that we wasted it on Mantha. Like when we got Quincey for that 1st, that was awesome it would suck having someone like Vasalevski or Matta.

This asking prices is rediculous for Kessler, major pass.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
That .9ppg is likely to determine his value for the Canucks. At the very least, it did for Gillis, though perhaps this new GM of theirs won't be so foolish.

If their new GM is that foolish then Kesler isn't going anywhere and this speculation is all for naught; frankly I can still see them holding onto Kesler and trying to build around him going forward. Why they would, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me greatly.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
I'm a fan of Kesler and I think he is a great 2 way 2nd line center. But I don't think I would like the assets that the Wings would have to give up in order to obtain him. This team has too many centers as it is so I don't think we need another one.

Let a team like Anaheim or St. Louis trade for him because they can afford to give up the assets and try and go for the cup. Detroit isn't in that situation, we don't need to keep hoarding centers older than 30, we need to get younger.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm a fan of Kesler and I think he is a great 2 way 2nd line center. But I don't think I would like the assets that the Wings would have to give up in order to obtain him. This team has too many centers as it is so I don't think we need another one.

Let a team like Anaheim or St. Louis trade for him because they can afford to give up the assets and try and go for the cup. Detroit isn't in that situation, we don't need to keep hoarding centers older than 30, we need to get younger.

Agreed 100% the wings are screwing the pooch going after washed up centers. Trading away future assets or blocking a roster spot that someone should be developing in are both bad moves for the wings right now.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Since when is 30 washed up?

Somebody forgot to tell Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall they are barely clinging to life.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Somebody forgot to tell Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall they are barely clinging to life.

Agreed washed up isn't the right way of putting it 'mediocre' is more fitting.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
For a center in general it clearly isn't (Zetterberg, Datysuk, ...). But rather in the case of adding another one around that age instead of relying on our prospects.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
For a center in general it clearly isn't (Zetterberg, Datysuk, ...). But rather in the case of adding another one around that age instead of relying on our prospects.

I'm of the opinion we need to surround Z and D with talent immediately to win. Kesler is perfect for that job.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I love all these 1st being so loosely thrown around. I wish we would have traded our 2013 first for someone like Heatley becasue it sucks that we wasted it on Mantha. Like when we got Quincey for that 1st, that was awesome it would suck having someone like Vasalevski or Matta.

This asking prices is rediculous for Kessler, major pass.
I think that's because most people would like to see us have at least 1 more legit cup run with Dats and Z.
To do that we don't need more good prospects in Grand Rapids. Though Kesler isn't the missing piece either.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I think that's because most people would like to see us have at least 1 more legit cup run with Dats and Z.
To do that we don't need more good prospects in Grand Rapids. Though Kesler isn't the missing piece either.

Jay Bouwmeester.

Seriously. We need defensemen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

kesler has fairly big injury list already and his style of play doesn't exactly scream 'longevity'.

i think he has few good years left in him but i doubt much beyond that.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
People are so preoccupied with the designation 'center'.

Kesler is a right hand shot. Kesler can play both center and wing. Kesler is more inclined to shoot than pass. He immediately improves our top six regardless of where he's slotted.

We are not awash in centers as some are suggesting. Datsyuk has three years left. Zetterberg (if we want his body to last) should be playing alongside Dats. Weiss is an unknown; possibly the next Legwand centering the fourth line. Helm is made of glass. Oh and the prospect pool has next to nothing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the team needs both, honestly. Another forward that can play D and score, along with some defender upgrades.
Healthy Weiss is meant to fill that forward need, we also have Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan on the rise. All focus should be on defensive upgrades, only include forwards if it's a blockbuster trade (such as going for both Kesler and Edler).

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Jay Bouwmeester.

Seriously. We need defensemen.

Sure we do, but who's available?

Are we just going to put all our eggs in the Niskanen basket and when the price gets too steep, oops, another wasted offseason.

Puck moving D are arguably the most valuable commodity in this league. Nobody is trading theirs unless the overpayment is absurd.

Forwards are what's on the market. Might as well improve any way we can because a top pairing D ain't coming. Not with our stingy, trade-averse GM.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I think the team needs both, honestly. Another forward that can play D and score, along with some defender upgrades.

Theoretically yes, we (could) need both. But if you had to choose between a new forward or a new defense guy, what is it gonna be?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Theoretically yes, we (could) need both. But if you had to choose between a new forward and a new defense guy, what would it be?

Defense, of course.

But why limit yourself to only upgrading 1 thing at a time? An upgrade is an upgrade. Particularly when we have so many prospects to sell. Which, by the way, I'm totally fine selling them for the right players.

Kesler is the right player for me, but I get why others aren't on board. Luckily for them, the odds Holland swings this deal is pretty slim.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Healthy Weiss is meant to fill that forward need, we also have Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan on the rise. All focus should be on defensive upgrades, only include forwards if it's a blockbuster trade (such as going for both Kesler and Edler).

Even with a healthy Weiss, we also signed Alfredsson last year. Assuming Alfredsson retires, we're still not bringing back the same firepower we had available last year.

Not saying we have to go after Kesler, but I don't have a problem with the Wings having multiple irons in the fire.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Defense, of course.

But why limit yourself to only upgrading 1 thing at a time? An upgrade is an upgrade. Particularly when we have so many prospects to sell. Which, by the way, I'm totally fine selling them for the right players.

Kesler is the right player for me, but I get why others aren't on board. Luckily for them, the odds Holland swings this deal is pretty slim.

There were these guys....

I think their names were Parise and Suter?

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad